Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big G - Great stuff. Still can’t get over you casually knocking out a sub 4 with another to come on Thursday. Hopefully the back issue isn’t too nasty. 

Shades - Well done on the hilly 10miler

No running for me still as I tend to the ITB. Was going to get on the bike today but still recovering from my youngest’s birthday yesterday chasing after a bunch of 3 year olds  😩. I’m sure this conversation has been had here before but I really struggle to get my HR up on the bike. 100b feels like the equivalent of 130-140 slow Z2 on the run. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I had this conversation with a Tri coach just the other day.   Basically, running is weight bearing, whereas cycling isn't.  I commented that often I can be literally draped over the bike at the end of a session, desperately trying to catch my breath thinking I am about to die, but the HR hasn't got anywhere near my max.  He said this is normal :)  

I ride to power on Zwift and not HR, but generally speaking for me a Z2 ride (i.e, equivalent in feeling to a MAF run at 142) is probably about 125-130bpm, very roughly.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done, considering your back injury that's a great result.   I don't expect scrambling under a tree helped though.

Yes, it was Jane's 300th, she did invite me a while ago but I politely declined. She had a bit of a nightmare when she was on the last couple of marathons pre the 100 as she came down with that super cold that was doing the rounds and was quite poorly.

Rcouture - sounds exhausting running around after 3 year olds.   Big G is right your max HR on a bike is much lower than running due to the weight bearing aspect.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes 2nd fastest time for me on that course (11th time running it), so I am pleased.   I have had some shockers on there though, but actually the last two (the one in May and this one) have been my two quickest.

It is funny, as any little unusual feeling is already messing with my head.  For example, a tiny stone got in the back of my shoe and I initially thought "Oh crap, that is my achilles playing up!".  Then I realised it was just a stone....  

Even this morning I was trying to work out if my back issue would usually stop me running a marathon, or if I was only about to make the start line because of my 100 plans.  I concluded that I would have made the start line even without my 100 plans, so I made the trip down.  It is doing funny things to my mind!  Anyway, that is the 92nd done.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Went for a long run today,not much wind so went along the front,amazing how much even a little wind along there seems magnified though.Anyway got 18 done so a good base to get ready for the 20's after Xmas.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the paranoia will increase.   You'll start crossing the road with more care, thinking you have a cold with the mildest symptom, plus thinking you're injured, such as with the stone issue today.

We've all had some shockers on that Plym Trail course.

Ian - that's a good long run from you today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Missed this page posts for some reason.
    Big G-Well done today,another nice one ticked off,how many sub 4's is that now?
  • Cal glad you had a good night by the sounds of it, well done for getting a walk in! 

Shades it was almost like summer running today, glad you weren’t overdressed 

big g well done on the 92 not out, seems your mind will over play things for the next few months! 

Ian great long run today 

Rcouture looking after 3 year olds sounds a lot harder than running! 

Today was a strange event, 4 laps of Wendover parkrun, came up short 11.75 miles. Took the poles but other than running with them they weren’t required but also tested out my squeezable drinking bottles in my bag too.  1400ft elevation in total. 

Have a 5 miler club champs race next week, haven’t decided if I can be bothered with it. Being so close to Xmas, lack of training means I won’t be able to race it that well either. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - you sound marginally disappointed at the lack of hills and a chance to use the poles properly and the shorter distance, good chance to test new kit out though.

9 miles this morning, another mild morning 11 degrees, strong headwind in places though but good conditions.    Lots of traffic, no noticeable decline so I don't think this close to Christmas they've altered their working to WFH.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, good to try out that new kit.  I have never used poles, so how are your arms this morning, as a matter of interest?

Ian, I have done 55 sub-4s.  That includes 7 under 3:30, but still just the one under 3:20.  At my 11 Plym Trails though, which is a challenging course, my times range from 4:44 to 3:36!  The 3:36 I was very pleased with on that course, around a month before DD.  Looking ahead, obviously one of my aims is try and increase the count of sub 3:20s and maybe even introduce a new sub-3:10 column to my trusty spreadsheet :)   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - legs and back OK today?

Your race on Thursday, is this at Eton again or another venue?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I feel pretty good really.   Legs/back feel okay but I haven't been for a run yet, so I will reserve full judgment until after that, and I also won't be joining the Tri Zwift session this evening!  Thursday is at Hayes Cycle Circuit, Greater London.  I have done it before - 14 laps on a tarmac track, so traveling up on Wednesday.  I was considering camping in the van but I have opted for the luxury of a Premier Inn nearby.   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good you seem to be recovering well and the marathon hasn't done your back any harm.

Don't blame you for booking the Premier at this time of year.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just under 5 miles done and no real issues to report. It was raining when I started so I wore a jacket, but then ended up being too hot later in the run. 
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Shades - Will need to take another trip over to Wendover and recce the 10 mile lap for some hills.

Big G arms are fine, I was only carrying them for the final 5 miles so arms didn't get much of a work out. Good news on the recovery run.

Rest day for me, got our team xmas lunch in a bit, we're a bit depleated, TL is ill, one of my mates been in hospital last couple of days (he choked on a late night kebab) so he's not in.

Got a nice surprise from sportshoes (well Elle did to my email address) 25% off ordered a couple pairs of shorts some socks, a pair of new balance 860s.  

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just seen that my local parkrun is going ahead on Xmas Day (9am) and NYD (time TBC), which is really good.  Last time I checked there weren't many locally going ahead on Xmas Day, so I am lucky the one 1.5 miles down the road from me is happening, and I hope to make the run down there.  NYD could be a nice recovery run following the NYE marathon.  I don't think parkrun HQ allow NYD doubles any more; not sure of the reason why, although probably it is to do with some events getting overwhelmed (I know Haldon near me had big issues with parking, and queues back up the road), and possibly people making mad dashes between events was causing problems.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good news on the recovery run, always a relief to realise no post race injuries.

Robert - hope your mate will be OK.   I know junk food isn't good for us but never considered the danger of choking on it, poor chap.

Well done on the bargain shopping.

I got a bargain yesterday too.   I'm not keen on Amazon, but I've been unable to get turkey roasting bags anywhere this year so had to resort to Amazon.  9 roasting bags and a pair of weight training gloves cost me a grand total of 36 pence.  Amazon gave me the £10 bonus for registering a non Visa card.  Seeing I only use Amazon about once a year that seemed a very good deal.
  • Shades we did similar with Amazon, he went in and changed debit cards to credit cards… they then asked us to swap to a debit card and paid us the incentive! 

Big G I think a lot of parkruns decision was due to people getting between events.  I’ve done 2 doubles and ran between them 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I put a credit card on my Amazon account.  Not a Visa though.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning, another lovely mild morning.  Out earlier on a Tuesday and very little traffic at that time I can run down the middle of most of the roads, makes for a better running surface plus the lighting is better.   

Pilates this morning, more hip work.   She mentioned shoulder stands today too, not so keen on those. 🙃

Followed by gym.
  • Yeah it's a shame about the NYD doubles...only managed it twice but it was good fun. I think the issue was they were getting overburdened...I know Peckham Rye got double its usual number last time and ran out of tokens.

Slept badly Sunday night so didn't run yesterday, although I did go to the gym. Had another restless night last night and gave up sleeping at just before 4am...got up, had a coffee and then went out for a run at 5. I ran 12 miles, all in the dark. Stuck mostly to well lit roads but I did a stint along the Thames Path. Most of that is well lit, too, but there's one bit where you can cut through a church yard and that was pitch black. Had to slow right down there as I knew there's a trip hazard (a power cable that goes to the coffee truck that parks in there). Managed to see it, just about, though!
    All rather slow (11+) but that's par for the course when it's dark. I seemed to have plenty of stamina, anyway, but I was feeling my hamstrings towards the end so looks like I need to stop being a lazy arse and get back to doing my ham strength work.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well done on the 12 miles, that's a long way in the dark.   It's tiring mentally too running in the dark as having to constantly be on your guard for trip hazards.   Just as well you knew about the power cable.

Pilates was tough, we've moved on from hip work and today was all on stretching the spine starting from the neck and working our way down.   By the time we finished my back felt like it had been trampled by a herd of wildebeest and I only managed 30 minutes in the gym after that.
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Shades don’t like the sound of shoulder stands, nice 6 miles early today.  Something satisfying being able to run in the road.

cal well done on the 12 miles and avoiding the trip hazards.

6.5 miles for me this morning legs still tight from Sundays run.  I’ve decided to DNS the 5 miler on Sunday it didn’t make sense to run and I didn’t want to really.  Will go for a longer run at the weekend which will be more beneficial.

Apex marathon list seems to be missing, the guys who own the shop have tweeted it’s in the pipeline to go on their website

heard a mate in my form at school died suddenly of a heart attack, was a fairly fit bloke we stayed in contact until about 10 years ago 38 years old :-( 
  • Shit Rob, that's young. I guess it was something undiagnosed if he was quite fit.
    Shades, you're making me feel guilty about blowing Pilates off the last couple of weeks. I like the class but I hate that it's at 12:30pm, which is when I eat (I usually have my main meal at lunch rather than evening). And I often find my motivation drains away during the day so unless I get something done early, it's much less likely to happen at all.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, really sorry to hear about your friend. You probably know what I might say, but if he has a partner and you feel able, maybe point them towards WAY if they’re looking for support. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - by the time we got to the shoulder stand it wasn't too bad, I expect that will be harder next week as she winds that exercise up.   :'(
    My back still feels tired even now.

No point running a short fast race when that's not really what you want right now.

I hope the Apex list does come back from the new owners, it was the most comprehensive list we had despite the multitude of errors.

Sorry to hear about your friend, very young.

Cal - that is a rubbish time for your Pilates class, not sure I'd go either at that time, puts the whole day out of sync.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Its tough running in the dark,most of my runs are in the dark now until it gets light again.
    10 miles today,went to do my hilly run but it was flooded so diverted,still had 2 long hills in it,then ran down a hill just so I had to go back up another hill on the way home.OH asked why I'd do that  :# Boston and DD aren't gonna go well if I don't get hills in.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - another good distance for a midweek run.   You really are going to have to get OH running hills too,  ;) seems like she's avoiding them.

Rest day for me today
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-She actually runs more hills than I do on regular runs,when we run together she's very strong on them,just doesn't go down a hill to run up another.
    Last full day off before Xmas today so lots to do,should be able to run later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Runners Retreat have got the formerly Apex marathon/ultra list up on their website.   Much clearer format too.   Click on races on their home page

A haven dedicated to runners in Marlow - Runners Retreat