Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Hi! Long time no post on here!

Big_G: I agree with Cal re the Manchester parkruns, and I would say that Alexandra is the one to go for. Stretford can get ridiculously busy, often over 500 starting on the track. Alex Park usually has much smaller fields. Pancake flat. South Manchester is marginally quicker but often has a long flooded section (the ditch of doom). 
    Cal: have you done Alex? 
    Big_G: my offer to pick you up before parkrun still stands, assuming I am about!

I was going over the 2021 in 2021 thread earlier, ready to convert it to 2020 in 2020. I noticed that both the above mentioned contributed at the start: how did you get on? I failed miserably, largely due to various illnesses. There's always next year!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse, I haven't yet...though it's the closest to my friend Colin's flat and I did run around it on Sunday on my own. I've done South Manchester three times on Christmas Day and Stretford once on Christmas Eve (Alex hadn't started then), plus Peel last time I was up. So might join you at Alex before the marathon.

Big G, don't get another knee injury at the snooker eh?!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just double checked and it’s Peel I had pencilled in as it I think seemed the closest to my hotel. If I do it, it’ll just be an easy run around that day. 

alehouse, I won’t be making 2021 miles, sadly, but I’m happy with what mileage I’ve done this year. I took a fall quite early in the year which I’ve not really recovered from in terms of catching up the missing mileage from that, plus I missed a couple of weeks or so due to covid. Thanks for the offer of the pick up in Manchester - I’ll definitely keep it in mind!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - has to be your decision re the snooker, unless new restrictions are brought in before then.   I'm not sure which I'd be more concerned about, Covid or getting another 'snooker' injury that stops you running.
    I feel that maybe you'd like to do the marathon really so trying to get marathons done while you can in preparation for your 100th.

Alehouse - hope you're OK now and can get closer to your mileage target for next year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just heard the morning news on the radio and Sajid Javid criticising Wales for not allowing outdoor events such as parkrun with their limit of 50.    Of course all races are cancelled too.

Rest day for me today but I am going back to the gym.  :o
  • Same here, Shades....legs are a bit trashed from yesterday so weights seem a bit more sensible.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - my legs feel lovely and fresh after 50 mile week of base training and no gym, just been shopping and it's a balmy 14 degrees, lovely running weather and I wish it was a running day  :)

I expect your legs are a bit trashed after yesterday's tough race.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I saw that.  Let's hope that may mean that England races can continue to go ahead?  Yes, not too sure what to do about the snooker at the moment.  I will chat to my mate later in the week.   

10.5 miles this morning and whilst it was quite mild, it was raining for most of it.  One of those times when I am not sure if a jacket is worthwhile or not, but I did wear one today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - if we have further restrictions in England surely they would only be for large crowd events, such as stadium events, and indoor mixing.   It seems it's the indoor mixing that is responsible for most of the infections. 

We'll just have to wait and see.   Meanwhile we just have to make our own decisions on what we consider to be safe and/or choose to do.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I agree.  Regarding Wales, I wonder if the Assembly will back track or dig in a bit?  It does seem a strange decision and I wonder if they will have to come out and justify it somehow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Wales have never been supportive of exercise, right from the beginning of the first lockdown they were just not interested.   Last region to allow any races, or club training.   I think they think sport is watching rugby. 

Scottish government is recalled today so there must be some announcement expected there.  

On another matter, I have unspent budget from 2021 so idly looking at running shoes, 1080's.   Checked out Start Fitness and they are back not selling any New Balance products, I thought I was cracking up but I checked and that's where I bought my last pair, really strange.
  • Big G - I'm sure I wasn't the only one who gasped at the though of snooker and injury, well done on the morning run.

Cal - well done on your race, when I head the loops werent flat I had little interest doing an even there.

Shades - well done for staying within 2021 budget imagine that's to do with lack of travel opportunities? I dont tend to budget for running spends, we have a household budget for everything else then anything left (which isn't a lot) is fair game.

Ian - sorry to hear about your son, hope he's not too unwell.

Chloe comes out of isolation today and hasn't been too unwell, touch wood I've managed to steer clear too!  Ate far too much these last few days and failed to get out for a run, todays 3.5 miles before work felt dreadful.  Hope for a couple of better runs before Sunday's marathon but will be a very easy effort with a few clubmates. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, have you had any more thoughts about Connemarra?

Robert, my HR was a bit higher for the pace I was doing today, which I put down to too much eating the last few days!  I was very lethargic all day yesterday and didn't manage a run either.  You've done well dodging Covid again!
  • Big G - I wanted to go out since Boxing day, I nearly didn't go out today as feeling lethargic last few days.  Yesterday's food intake was better and hope that trajectory continues.

Got another email to tell me I had a few days left to use 'Elle' sportshoes discount code.  Got a pair of Asics gel fuji-trabaco from sportshoes £65 inc delivery will be put away for Beskidy in August.  Now okay for road shoes and trail shoes for 2022 although if I find a decent price for Saucony Peregrines then I'll snap up a pair.
  • 23 miles and 5000 ft of ascent in about 5 hours for me on Monday. Ran the downhills (and the limited flats) and walked the uphills. Don't think my legs have ever been this sore!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I'm very good at writing a budget and sticking to it, that enabled me to pay off my mortgage early and retire early.   Yes, surplus is probably due to lack of races but that all comes out of my credit card budget.   I have to budget as I'm on a fixed income, when working there are always options to earn more, I don't have that unless I get a job 😮😮

That's good news about Chloe and well done managing to avoid catching it.   You must have a strong immune system.

Big G - the only decision I've made about Connemara is that I will decide tomorrow.  At the moment I will probably defer and focus on DD prep but I'll make a final decision tomorrow.

Bradders - that's some hill session.   With that sort of training you'll have to come down to Devon one year and do Dartmoor Discovery, we refer to it as DD.  A 32 mile road ultra, hilly.

Enjoyed the gym and it was busier than I've seen it for a long time, all regulars though.
  • Shades - I looked it up when you all mentioned it. It looks great. Maybe I will join in 2023. Some close friends are also moving to Exeter in January so I would have somewhere to stay :)

For 2022 I think I need to get my training sorted for Manchester, feel very behind. I have enough time but I've not had the best start - weather in the NW was appalling for a week or so (like 40 mph winds) and then I had covid, followed by Christmas. Debating trying a run this afternoon (maybe 3 miles or so, very slow pace) but I can't currently walk up and down stairs properly!
  • Sadly Wales do not support exercise at all!!
    I can not run my 10 mile race yet if I wanted I could go to a gym class with  other people breathing  all over each other with no masks.Yet 250 runners were not allowed to run on the hills!

Nice budgeting Shades for new shoes:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Bradders. Sounds like you’re perfect for DD :)

Ian, how’s your son?

Just the 4 easy miles for me today, on the flat. A bit of rain but the main issue was the head wind on the seafront. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Bradders - Big G is right, you do sound perfect for DD, it's a very special race.

Quite a few from this thread doing Manchester too.  You have 3 months and you already have a good base weekly mileage of 50mpw to build from.

WP - I agree it's madness the Covid restrictions in Wales re outdoor events.   I hope you've written to your MP, I know a lot of runners that have done so already.

Big G - yes, windy this morning.   Not too bad here but I ran through Kerswell and it was really strong, especially down Southey Lane, I was pleased when it was time to turn around.    But I think it should be a bit better conditions for your race.

8 miles this morning, heavy drizzle and windy, but very mild.   Legs a bit achy/tired after gym but still had a good run.   

Gym later, upper body today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    2021 marathons nearly completed and also Jan 2022 list.   

If there are any more January marathons to add, please let me know.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades I already have an entry for Plym Trail on 8th, but I’m considering 9th as well, although I need to speak to my snooker mate so that’s not confirmed. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks, 8th is on the list.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've deferred Conne Ultra until 2023, just sent an email.   I'm not concerned about the travel etc re Covid, just that it may all be cancelled again.   I had only booked a hotel room so far.  In 2023 I should be able to fly from Exeter to Dublin as Aer Lingus start flights at the end of April 2022, hoping it's just not seasonal flights.  

I could have NDVM as my 400th but I'm still dithering at the moment.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that is a shame about Conne, but sounds like the right decision.  As you say, making plans for something that may be cancelled is tough.  I have a similar thing with Manchester and Belfast, really.  I think I can pretty easily get to 98 with smaller English events, but if Manchester and/or Belfast are cancelled for whatever reason, then my plans are scuppered anyway.  I am still hopeful for those though, mainly as they both went ahead this year, which is the main difference to Conne in your case. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you should be OK for Manchester and Belfast, both went ahead this year.   But if for any reason they are cancelled but smaller events are allowed I'm sure you can make alternative plans.  

I've already had a confirmation email from Connemara re my deferral so that's sorted.

I also plan to do Cork next year but have held off making any bookings and haven't entered either, it wasn't allowed to go ahead this year, they are much stricter in Ireland re races.  The runners from my old club Marathon Club Ireland have not been able to do a lot of their usual races.

Very strange, today the gym was very quiet again, when I left there was only one person in there.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Not sure,I've locked him in the cellar 😅 
    He's over the worst,had a couple of heavy cold days but fine again now,still testing negative so hoping I've dodged it.
    Decided to start again on NYD,had a hectic time as its going round work a bit so chopping and changing rotas.
  • Rob, I saw some girls from your club and I said "ooh I know a guy called Rob in your club" as I ran past them and they asked what your surname was and I completely blanked. Not sure if that was a senior moment or a product of low brain glycogen, but eh well.
    As for the Velopark, I wouldn't choose to race there, except that it was on a Tuesday and it seemed like a good idea to do something a bit festive (last time I ran there was on Halloween 2020, so that seemed like a fun idea at the time. Was my first run there, though...this time I should have known better!) Usually they race there on Saturdays, which is when I worship at the church of parkrun, so probably no danger of me being stupid a third time.  :D

Shades, I was the only person in the gym yesterday, until one other guy came in. I don't think it's Covid so much as Christmas. Guess we'll see next week.

Anyway, running... Very mild here so ran in a T-shirt. Only problem was I got some underarm chaffing from the race on Tuesday (I was wearing a vest and arm warmers for that) which came back to haunt me today. Ow.
    Ran this in daylight so pace was better - 10:30ish rather than over 11s. Bit more like it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good that so far you've escaped catching the virus.   Hope he's better soon.

Cal - I meant that it was strange today the gym was so quiet as yesterday it was really busy.

It's been that quiet for the last few months.   I can't see them getting the usual January influx either as many are staying away due to Covid.   I think the 'lazier' gym goers are happy to have a reason not to go to the gym.  

Nice to get a decent run in daylight, I'm hoping to do the same on Saturday and Sunday, not sure whether I'll wait for daylight tomorrow.

A thought for you all setting your mileage target for the next year...

A running friend of mine set his target for this year as 2021 + his age which is 81.7 years.   He's reached his target too, even done a few miles extra 2106.7.   So age is no excuse. 😮. Most impressive.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good luck for tomorrow's marathon, hope the weather is good too today.