Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just short of 8 miles for me this morning, brings my year's total to 2021.88, which is about average for me, last few years were 2165, 2070, 2039. 

Light rain then drizzle, nice and mild again.

Have cancelled gym today as I have DOMS, legs and a little in upper body too. 
  • Options
    Shades - what a great total to end on!!

Around 2150 or so for me - I don't log all my miles, but Strava has me on 2139 and I'll probably run 4 miles today or so. Not quite to 2020 levels (I managed over 2500) but I've been inconsistent this year.

I've finished 2021 with a 5k PB (19:27), parkrun PB (20:27), 5 mile PB (33:41) and half PB (1:33:31). Back in April I figured I would target sub-19 5k but life/general illness got in the way over summer, and I've never quite managed to get back to the harder effort sessions that (for me) are necessary to be comfortable at 4 min/k. I also got my first ever podium finish in a race (Liverpool 10 miler) coming third.

2022 brings my first ever marathon and fingers crossed a GFA London entry.

Wishing everyone a lovely New Years and a very happy 2022!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Bradders - you've had a great year, speedy PBs and a podium finish.

I'm sure with all the consistent mileage you've done that you'll run a terrific debut marathon.

On another matter, anyone trying to order LFT kits, I've just managed to place an order online after 3 days of trying.

Back to 4 gym sessions plus classes next week, so will need them.
  • Options
    Shades plenty LFT Kits here in Wales.We are even loaning some to NHS England.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - we've had a wobbly supply since we went from being asked to do 2 tests a week to testing every time we are going out plus of course the arrival of Omicron.  So for most people that's testing every day now.  I expect children were being tested at school before the holidays so need supplies at home now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I managed to get some LFTs 3 days ago and they arrived today, after having no joy for a few days. 

Regarding my event, I was laying there in bed at about 5am, and it was torrential rain outside, and I was really questioning my sanity.  Fortunately it did clear a bit and the event was ran mainly in misty-rain conditions. I had an awful run though so not the best way to end the year - 4:03:56. Legs just felt empty, and I felt a bit feint on occasion too. I did my best but obviously not a great day out. 

I’m just planning on trying to relax and eat well the next couple of days, before the next one!

That’s me on 2001 miles of running for the year, and 4018 on the bike (the vast majority on Zwift). 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I heard the rain lying in bed too this morning and thought "Big G won't like this", but it was drizzle by the time I went out.

Sorry you had a bad run, sometimes they just happen, feeling faint isn't too good but hopefully just an off day for you.  But another one done, I'm sure you'll bounce back and have a good run in a couple of days time.

Previously I did get some LFT packs from the library but one day they put a note on FB saying they had some and they had all gone by the end of the day.
  • Options
    Heh heh, rain was why I didn't go out until lunchtime and then only did a paltry three miles. Well, I'm parkrunning tomorrow, so that'll be a lot more fun.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Happy new year in advance

Bradders - That’s a fabulous year you’ve had. 

Big G - Well done on another one ticked off, though feeling faint doesn’t sound great. 

Shades - I still can’t order any LFTs after days of trying. Work have in the past had a supply so will check with them, though I think even they are out of them now. 

Been a busy holiday period for us as managed to dodge Covid so far so been able to see family. Going to try to run tomorrow as planned, well run/walk, for the first time in about a month. I’m then seeing physio on Tuesday so will reassess then. As for goals for 2022, I’ll take being injury free as the main one. Beyond that breaking 20 for 5k seems overdue and then would target 3:15 for the mara. I suspect first half of the year will mainly be a rebuild exercise though. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Bradders-Some speedy times there.
    Big G-Well done on grinding it out today,tough when you know it's not a good race.
    Ended the year on 1392,my lowest since the first year I started running.Main target for next year is to get consistent miles in,when I do that the times take care of themselves,oh and hope I can travel to do Boston and Chicago.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Shadies  🥳
    My goals for this year, DD, minimum15 marathons and get body fat down to 20%.

Rcouture - enjoy your run today, you have been so patient.

I was trying 10-15 times a day before I finally managed to place an order for the LFTs.

Ian - you did well on a lower mileage figure for the year.   Yes, no more disruption to our racing plans, that's what we want.

8 miles this morning, waited until dawn and had a gorgeous run as it's always so lovely and quiet on NYD.    Really mild, went out on the cycle path and I was thrilled to see the new part was open and I could run through.   The workmen haven't been back and finished off but someone has obviously got as fed up as I have of waiting for it to be open and has moved the 6ft fence panels that were blocking the way. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Right here's the finished list for 2021

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    After the 100, my main goal is a marathon PB, which I didn't manage last year.  And just hoping for a consistent year of training, and then the mileage will take care of itself really.  

Very glad I didn't have another marathon today - not feeling it again today.  I did go to parkrun, so 6 miles in total this morning as a recovery run.  Very wet, but a decent turnout for NYD down at the event, but glad to be home now with no plans for today or tomorrow except trying to get myself in a better shape/mindset for Monday.

I didn't say this, but I did have half an idea of turning up for tomorrow's event as well if I was feeling okay, to tick another one off.  The RD said I could just turn up and pay on the day, but I can now categorically say that isn't going to happen!  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you might even do a PB at Manchester or even at Belfast.   There's a huge sigh of relief once you start race number 100 and that can give a massive boost on the day.   I ran my 3rd fastest time at my 100th and it was a hot day that day.

When I was running this morning I even thought as it was so mild I could have run at least one of the RED events but glad I didn't.   As it's cupless and that idiotic rule about a buff does put me off the event.

I'm sure yesterday's difficult run was just a blip and you'll have a much better race on Monday.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think basically everyone ignored the buff rule as I didn’t see anyone actually wearing one, not even the organisers. 

Big G helps out again at the Trotters with my ‘IT geek’ hat on. Chair was panicking yesterday as he thought the new RD had accidentally deleted all the DD pages from the website. I’ve found them though so I’m in the good books again. The RD is just working on them and they’ll be back on line soonish I think. 
  • Options
    Very warm today, Shades...ran in a t-shirt. In fact I sweated so much last night that I woke up so dehydrated I thought I might be ill. My breakfast was a bottle of Lucozade which I'd had in the fridge since Richmond Runfest in September. It did the trick.
    I didn't indulge last night and got to bed at 10:30 so no alcohol related excuses...but still managed my worst parkrun ever today! (Well, not including the one where I tail walked, and the one I power walked while injured). I chose Homewood, which is not far from Brooklands where I went a couple of weeks ago. My parkrun mate Tunde drove. I knew this wasn't a fast one as it is undulating and in the woods, so can be muddy. And there was mud in places, but what I wasn't prepared for was the sheer number of tree roots. The whole run was a gigantic trip hazard and, given I run like a hovercraft, I had to be very, very careful. 
    Slowing down did mean I could chat to the runners around me a bit, which was nice, and the woods were lovely (or would have been had I not had my eyes downcast for most of it in order to avoid faceplants and rolled ankles).
    End result was 34:48 - my previous worsts were all in the 32s so this was definitely a challenge. I think I need to find a nice fast tarmac one as an antidote!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-A marathon PB is what I'd love to get again,not set one since 2019 so work to do.
    We are thinking Cyprus is looking dodgy as we haven't managed to train much,but we can move to the half,and OH fancies Barca if we don't do it,so think we're going to aim for that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I never wore my buff but I object to having to carry it, pointless idiotic rule.

Well done on saving/finding the DD pages, I saw that there was a website problem.

Cal - any specific goals for 2022?

Ian - do you think Cyprus will be cancelled?   You have plenty of training time, 9 weeks or so?

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Its 11 weeks away,only done 1 run 1 3 weeks so feel like by the time I get going again I won't be able to get enough miles in.
  • Options
    Shades...I mean, I want to get back to where I was pre-pandemic, but don't know if that's possible so...guess we'll see.
  • Options
    Shades - Managed to order the LFTs today in the end. 

Went out for a 15 minute run/walk to test things out. Fitness understandably shocking which is fine but less fine was feeling what I think was the presence of the ITB very lightly towards the end of the run. Felt different to previous feeling there and wasn’t hurting/clicking against side of the knee or aching after the run walking downstairs so hoping it’s nothing as it’s a bit disheartening after a month of no running. It might actually just be a bit of soreness from strength work I’ve been doing including squats which always do a number on me. Anyway will do the same on Tuesday before seeing physio but will stop ASAP if I feel it again. 
  • Options
    Rcouture - hope you're back running soon after the lay off.  If you don't feel confident about your marathon the half be a good tune up race and welcome bit of better weather

Cal - you're running well, I think pre pandemic levels is a realistic target.  Nice friendly way to bring the new year in.

Big G well done on saving DD pages! Yesterday's marathon is old news, it's in the bank getting you closer to the 100.  Would be great to PB on your 100th

Shades well done on the 2021 miles, DD will be a good incentive to motivate as gives you something to focus on your races in the first 5 months.

Bradders, great mileage last year and good luck with this years goals.

Sloppy finish to the year, forced myself for a 2nd run since xmas yesterday for 6 miles.  Amazing how a week of eating and drinking makes you feel, the batteries were broken in our scales so hadn't stepped on them for a few months.... I wish I hadn't changed them but gave me a rude awakening.

Didn't go too mad with festivities and in bed by 0030 with tomorrow in mind, may need to get some armbands after seen some videos and pics of the course.  Just looking forward to getting out and about, picking up a club mate who I'll run with, she ran the event 2 years ago, there are also a few other WJ running in an earlier wave and hopefully get to catch up with them later in the race.

Hope everyone has a successful 2022
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    7 miles today,felt a bit of a drag but got it done.Felt like a newbie January runner in my head to toe new kit.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a very realistic goal for the year and I'm sure you can do it.  Look at the progress you've already made.

Rcouture - don't overdo the rehab strength work, that can be counterproductive, remember your obliques injury.  Hopefully your overzealous rehab was responsible for the twinge, be kind to yourself.

Good news about the LFT order.

Robert - a week of enjoying the food etc at Xmas does make you feel unfit but once you're well into your race tomorrow you'll be feeling much better and back to normal.

Good luck for tomorrow and enjoy yourself.

I misread your bedtime last night as 3 a.m.  ;)  

Ian - wearing all your running Xmas presents  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, you're right - it's old news.  On to the next one.  Best of luck today.

Shades, yes, I saw the 'technical issue' post on the DD Facebook page and wondered what it was about.  They had contacted our web provider in the hope they do backups, but they weren't available until Tuesday apparently.  I have access to all the website stuff, so I had a look, and all the DD stuff had accidentally been moved into an offline folder, but it is all still reachable and not deleted, which is a relief!  I said I could move it back but she is working on it first, so she'll move it back herself. 

RCouture, you've been very patient, so fingers crossed the slight issue yesterday was just a one off.  Obviously I have no idea if this applies to you in your case, but I know when I am coming back from an injury for the first couple of runs I seem to notice every little niggle, much more than normal, I think because I am just hyper-aware of everything.  Sometimes when I get past that (and presuming the injury has actually gone), the third or forth run is more normal.  I am not suggesting you run through a genuine injury, but it is just something I have noticed with my own running.

I ate well and sensibly yesterday, slept really well last night and feeling much more refreshed today.  I am having a rest day today and then I will see how I am tomorrow.

227 yesterday at my local parkrun.  It was raining throughout so that is not too bad.  Looking back at previous NYD parkruns they have had 301, 320 and 183.  I was wondering if there may have been more yesterday as a couple of local ones weren't happening.  Previously though they were allowed to do a later start (10:30am) on NYD whereas now they have to start at 9am so maybe that limited the numbers travelling to the event after the night before.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there's a lot of history in the DD data, I'm assuming they back that up now and then.

Re return from injury, I'm the same super aware of what might be a reoccurrence for first run back.

I'm sure the weather on NYD has a significant effect on numbers at parkrun, not many look out at the rain and think "I'd love to be running in this".....apart from me that is  ;)

Are parkrun numbers back to pre pandemic levels now?

8 miles today, my hilly route, 626 feet, which is challenging keeping to base rate HR  but I managed it.   Nice morning, still mild.   Thankfully this time no flooding and was able to keep my feet dry.
    Finished my week on 49.46 miles  :)

Gym later
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't think parkrun are quite back, but I don't know if there are official stats for the whole of parkrun.  If I look at Bushy, the home of parkrun, numbers don't appear to be back to what what they were.   Xmas Day this year they had 1600, and Xmas Day 2019 (the last Xmas Day run) they had 2500.  For each Sept event this year, they were just above 1000, whereas Sept 2019 they were all above 1300.  I think generally speaking, numbers are still down.  It is not a direct comparison though because I suppose there may be more parkruns near to Bushy, which could dilute numbers (I do not know if there are or not).  There is an unofficial "parkrun Statsgeek" Facebook group, where I am sure someone somewhere is tracking the stats for the UK, but I haven't come across it yet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I suppose it's the same as running clubs, their numbers are not back to where they were either pre pandemic.    Maybe just for some it's avoiding crowds or unnecessary mixing.    They can still run without going to running club or parkrun. 
  • Options
    parkrun STATS — elliottline.com

May be of interest to some! parkrun numbers do appear to be down compared to pre-pandemic. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    alehouse, I did look on his site briefly this morning although I couldn't see a graph/trend across the whole of parkrun, but I may have missed it :)   He posts onto the statsgeek facebook page quite a lot, as do a few others, but I couldn't find what I was looking after a brief search earlier.