Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good luck for tomorrow, put your last race out of your mind and I'm sure you'll have a good run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning, traffic nice and light as it's a BH.    Was raining when I got up but stopped before I went out for my run, good running conditions.    Legs a bit sore after gym yesterday.

Gym was busier than expected yesterday, some newbies with NY resolutions I guess, most wearing new trainers!
  • Yeah, Tooting Common had 290 on Saturday...I think there were over 600 last NYD. I remember it getting to over 1000 the first week in January pre-pandemic (which the paths just can't handle) so it'll be interesting to see what it does on Saturday.

Good luck Big G.

I didn't do a long run yesterday as I was heading to Winter Wonderland with Colin, but thought today would be fine as it was still a bank holiday. I'd intended to do 17 or 18 miles, but after a rubbish sleep, being on my feet most of yesterday and a tough, technical parkrun on the Saturday, my legs didn't want any of that. Instead of getting faster as it got lighter, which is what usually happens, I got slower and grumpier. So I figured 12 was enough.
    I did do a new part - I crossed Chelsea Bridge after Battersea Park and ran up to Sloane Square and then down the King's Road. There were some gorgeous Christmas lights at the shopping end, which made me happy. I'd intended to follow the road to the end which would bring me out at Fulham Palace, but took the wrong branch and ended up on the decidedly unscenic Wandsworth Bridge instead. Another time, then.
  • Shades I wish I could do a 3am finish, would be rolling back the years.  Would thought it's too early for the newbies to be in the gym today, it's usually the ones who pay their subs every month and only use it a few weeks in Jan, the newbies start to filter in Mid Jan.

Big G well done on eating sensibly yesterday, good luck today.

Ian well done on the 7, most important part is getting out there.

Cal well done getting out after a rubbish sleep, seen many people on facebook say they didn't sleep well last night, most probably to do with new years throwing body clocks out.  When I used to watch Chelsea I loved going to kings road at christmas.

East Hanningfield Marathon

Originally booked in Sept 2020 for Jan 2021 it seems like forever ago.  Self navigation marathon with no directional markers or marshals other than those at the three fully stocked checkpoints.

Was a simple drive about an hour away picked up Sharon and made our way, we had no targets other than to get round, both undertrained and under prepared the lack of pressure meant we could enjoy it.  Race registration simple, pick up number from village hall and make way to start, we were allocated a 8:45 start but was able to start at 8:30.

First 6 miles wasn't too bad underfoot, fresh legged was able to plough through the trails a bit easier, made the 1st cp just shy of 6 miles and an hour on the clock.

Straight after the checkpoint we had a bit of a climb, we passed the 4 WJ who started 15 mins before us then ran through mud baths which were shin deep.  CP2 was a bit past half way which helps mentally as breaks the race easier.

Sharon had a bit of a wobble around 17 miles in, tried everything talked about random subjects, running goals, how a 2nd wind would come soon after a walk break, bit of gravel track and road helped before a lovely waterlogged stretch which was pretty cold and numbed the feet again before a final shuffle before the final cp at mile 21.

My legs were tiring but was okay to shuffle when Sharon could, we never discussed target times until we had about 3 miles and said if we upped current pace slightly we'd sneak sub 6.  Said I'd shuffle in front and keep pace and she could follow and she put her head down and battled on.  Finished in 5:55:36. 42nd out of 88 finishers 2 DNF and 52 DNS I'd imagine many may have planned to race in 2021.

Very muddy but a great way to start the year, almost felt alive compared to recent days gone by.  Nice to see a few friends on course and enjoyed a few chats with others on the way round.  Defo could have gone quicker but it was more about getting Sharon round and being out and running rather than time.

I won't be in a hurry to run the race again, however if the weather was good and they had places a few days before I'd probably sign up again.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a big drop in numbers at Tooting.

Not many Christmas lights left here, a lot of folk give up and either don't turn them on or pack them away.   Except that is for my neighbour's gross inflatable snowman which is still on with all the lights 😝

Robert - well done, that seems to be a difficult and muddy course.    Sounds like you sort of enjoyed it, at least the bit where it made you feel 'alive'.   You were great support to get your friend Sharon around the course, although she might have been cursing you at the time.

What's next for you Dorney in April?
  • Yup Dorney is next, couple of half’s and shorter races.  Did consider Cambridge boundary run but they haven’t announced anything about this years run yet. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Robert  - nice picture, you look happy, Sharon less so.   ;)

You're wearing those white socks in the mud again 🤣

A good start to your training for the year.

Re our gym, the leisure centre were advertising a special offer to sign up in December for starting in January but nothing to pay until February.   They were definitely newbies, they have usually all drifted away by the first week in February.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Robert. Sounds like you enjoyed it, and good on you for sticking with Sharon. 

Cal, sounds like you enjoyed the run out, even though the distance wasn’t what you’d originally planned. 

I had a much better day today. It was the 4th of 4 events, and 11 had done all four (not necessarily the marathon each time though, I don’t think). 

I started of steady and 3 who were talking about doing more than a marathon went ahead, whilst 2 who had done marathons the previous 3 days settled in behind me. My aim was just to have a strong run after Friday’s, which was awful. I think I went through half way in about 1:52ish, feeling pretty good. I saw that two of the three guys ahead were slowing a bit so made that a mission to try and catch them (even though they were going further than me), whilst also making sure I kept the other two behind me. This worked well in terms of keeping me motivated and I overtook the two on the last lap - the leader was quite a bit ahead though. I ended up finishing in 3:36:28 and finished feeling strong, which I am really pleased with following Friday. 
  • Rob, I can't blame it on NYE as I went to bed at 10:30pm. But I'm old and sleep badly. Last night I actually crashed out hard at 9.30pm but I woke at 2 and then tossed and turned for two hours before managing another hour's doze until 5. Not ideal.

Well done on your race...I don't think I'd enjoy that in the slightest...I hate mud and wet. 

That's a super race, Big G - well done!

Shades, these were the professional street lights. There were already quite a few Christmas trees out on the pavements in the residential roads. It'll be like the Grand National soon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - great result today and that demon laid to rest.   

So that's number 93 done, or was it 94?

Cal - I remember you saying about the Christmas trees on the pavements last year.   Thankfully we don't have that problem here, it's bad enough running in the dark as it is without having to jump over dead trees.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, today was 95....
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Well done on your race.
    Big G-Great racing,sounds like having them just ahead gave you a good incentive.
    I have decided on a big run later this year,I am aiming for my first 50 miler and I'm aiming to do it on my 50th or thereabouts,can't find an ultra around then so may be a self route or if I can find a marathon I might do 24 before it then a marathon to finish.This all assumes I can get fit of course.
  • Shades I’ve only got 2 pairs of compression socks they only go out for the odd training run, need to get some more but struggle to find any I’m happy with.

Big G great run today, good for the confidence! 

Shades hopefully the trees get cleared soon, I know our refuse collectors will only take trees if people have paid for the garden bin service, most haven’t.

not much from me today, out with a friend for lunch (miller and carter) lovely fillet steak and a couple of lagers, no room for pudding.

After 19 days our rubbish bin gets collected tomorrow, we have filled up our garden bin and hoping a box of beers is a good enough bribe for them to take the lot! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - congrats on number 95... Not too many to go now.

Have you decided about the snooker or are you marathoning that day?

Ian - great target for your 50th.   But do find an event, it will be soul destroying as a training run.   Is it August you need an event for?

Robert - we have drop off points here where folk can take their Xmas tree.

Our bins are full too and we have another week before collection for landfill.   Recycling has already been collected, they came at 6:20 a.m to collect.

Unfortunately some of the folk here are too thick/idle to recycle and shove everything in landfill bin, always the younger ones that do that.

Fillet steak, yummy.  😋
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, great target to aim for!

Shades, I called my mate earlier and we've decided not to go to the snooker.  His Mum isn't very well and his Dad is struggling to cope a bit and he doesn't want to have to self isolate at the moment, so we are reluctantly cancelling it.  I have this evening messaged Davey and I have a place for Sunday :)  That will work really well as then the final 3 will be nicely spread out and hopefully I will be able to do some decent training, and also a small number of shorter/local races.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes it is,ideally 6th or 13th weekend.There is a marathon at Oulton Park,but not sure I'd have access so long before the race,but Enigma have an event and I'd be able to run loops of the lake first.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I know you enjoy the snooker but probably a wise decision right now, and I expect you can watch it on telly or online.

Those of us on here can remember your snooker injury and how annoyed and miserable you were as it stopped you running.

I'll add the extra Plym Trail to the list.  So after the weekend you'll only have 2 to do pre the 100th  :open_mouth:

Ian - I'm sure you can find an event, trust me doing it on your own or the extra as a training run is pointless and you'll find it a miserable run.   Maybe a challenge event, 6 hour or 7 hour, or check out the mixed surface ultras, some of them are easy going.  

Robert is the expert on 50 mile races, he will know which are around at that time and how hard the courses are.

5 miles this morning, shorter run as earlier run due to Pilates class.   Bit colder today but dry.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, presuming I get around both on the weekend, it will work well with plenty of time before Manchester to build the weekly mileage up and drop the couple of post-Xmas pounds!  I’m looking at something like Goodwood in February (not entered yet), with a view of hoping to have a good run out there, depending on the weather and everything else. Still a long way to go but it feels manageable now, and if I get around them on the weekend, it will be even more so with plenty of time to train before my A races.  

5 mile recovery this morning and felt ok. A slight tightness is right calf, but nothing to worry about I don’t think. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've managed to find a 44m ultra,it's cotswold way but not sure how easy the navigation is,will look when I get a day off,and it's actually on my birthday.
    https://www.ultrarunningltd.co.uk/race/the-cotswold-ultra/#tab-46319
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think the Goodwood races fill up so you should be able to leave entry until you have some idea if there will be bad weather ice etc. for the drive and run.   You always have Davey's Strawberry Field races as emergency back up for numbers.

Ian - that looks good, I would imagine the Thames Path routes are fairly easy trail and probably have a fair bit of road/tarmac on the route.   It's quite special to run on your birthday, I've done two marathons on my birthday.

I see Enigma are having a 50k in August, I was going to suggest that you run that and then find a 50 miler to do at a later date, but in your 50th year.

Pilates was good, was allowed to take it easy in places so as not to make my neck sore again, but we've moved on now to strong hamstring work.   Then upper body session in the gym, but limited that to 40 minutes because of my neck.

As an afterthought I popped into the shop that sold me my cooker to ask if they could recommend someone to fix my oven door and the guy that owns the shop is going to come and fix it tomorrow.   :)
  • Big G - Congrats on a great run. Must be exciting being so close to 100. What is this famous snooker injury???

Rob - Great race and pic. Not gonna lie, ‘running’ through that much mud and water makes it look somewhat unappealing to me. I’m just a wimp I think. 

Ian - Sounds a great idea for the big 50. What’s the longest distance you’ve done before?

Shades - That’s a nice result on the oven. 

20 minute run/walk for me. No ill effects aside from again this faint weird feeling not quite in the right place for the ITB. Struggled to keep at MAF at >10min/mi so going to be a heck of a long way back to where I was (c8:45-9:00). I’m hoping it’s faster than the 6 months or so it took me to bridge that gap in the first place! Lots of patience required but I do look forward to some chilled base building. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you will make much faster progress this time with your MAF training.   I hope that weird feeling is just a trick of the mind, is it today you visit your physio again?   If so, hope she can put your mind at rest that it's not your ITB.

Yes, good result with the oven repair as it's out of guarantee and I'm pretty sure he's not going to charge me.

Just entered Cork marathon, week before DD.   I do hope the race will go ahead this year.
  • Shades - Yes it’s this evening that I see her. It’s been two months of no regular running and I’ve reached the point where the impact of that on my well-being doesn’t feel right relative to the severity of the injury. I’m aware that’s not very scientific but I’m hopeful she tells me that in the worst case just keep doing a couple of miles every other day even if you feel this ache. 

Have you worked out what races you will do this year following your budgeting exercise? Any in Europe?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I picked up an annoying niggle whilst watching the live snooker one year.  The seats are very cramped, and I've got long legs!   Think Ryan Air seats, but with much less leg and elbow room, plus you daren't move or shuffle in case the ref chucks you out for disturbing the players ;) 
  • Happy new year everyone! Hope you are all well - especially SHADES!!! :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khanivore said:
    Happy new year everyone! Hope you are all well - especially SHADES!!! :)
    Lovely to hear from you Khanivore.  How are you, family all well?

Are you doing any running these days?   Any marathons planned?   You usually pop back on here when you've just entered a marathon.   ;)

Rcouture - I agree, there's a limit to the amount of resting we can do without it affecting our mental as well as physical well being.   Probably why I often continue to train (carefully) through some of my injuries.

Re European marathons, it's Ireland that I miss the most and the place I am most anxious to get back to.   So all being well I would like to do Cork, the ultra at Longford and I'm going to try for a ballot place in Dublin.   Dublin has been cancelled for 2 years and they only have a few ballot places so not much chance.   The entry fee is an eye watering 110 Euro, but it remains one of my favourite marathons and places to visit.

Big G - how long were you on the injury bench due to the snooker injury?   It was quite a while I think.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That enigma event could work,didn't see that one.To most people 50k is the same as 50m as I'm probably going to do it as a sponsored thing.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I looked at the Runners Retreat (formerly Apex) ultra listing and saw Enigma 50k on there.
    Good idea if you're doing it for sponsorship, as you say most will recognise it as a long distance.

You could look for a 50 miler in the future then, if you still want to.  

My favourite race of all time is/was Dingle Ultra, 50 miles, sadly now defunct.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi Khani!

Shades, I checked back through my log and I had a couple of lower weeks (one with only 6 miles) but then I was back up to 50 miles.  That was in the January but then in the April I hurt my shoulder and that put me out for longer and was extremely painful (last marathon was 7th April before the shoulder went, and then I didn't do another one until 11th August...).