Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - xpost.   Good the HR is a bit more stable today.    

Hopefully your knee is nothing serious.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, that is my highest weekly mileage, at 90 miles.  It was just because of the way the events fell, with the extra one on the Monday.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - still all in the same week, no wonder you're a bit tired.  🥱
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I do not know how you did that 10-in-10!  Even the people who did the quad over the New Year weekend did well.  2 or 3 of them were very consistent over all 4 days, with decent times, with one coming back yesterday to do the ultra (Sharon D from Cornwall).  Really not sure I could do that, so consistently.  I know you have said before that you just have to put the previous ones out of your head, but really my legs aren't working today!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well I broke on day 6, but my friend went on to do a PB on day 7, improving on his Berlin time.   But that broke him, he finished/hobbled through the rest of the week but didn't run again for 5 months or so. 

The few times I've done a 100 mile week I did a marathon as the first run of the week and training runs thereafter and I was fairly fresh at the end of the week.  I did try twice to do a 100 miles over the Xmas holidays but the weather turned too cold for me and couldn't keep up the mileage.  I need better conditions when doing more mileage, my 100 mile weeks were in August and when I went on to do two ultra PB's (6 hour and 50 miler) in the same week it was early September.

I expect your suffering today has a lot to do with the conditions on Saturday, that sort of run just takes it out of you.   You'll be fine in a couple of days.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I know it may sound silly, but even Plym Trail is an hour away, and I get there early to sort myself out - i.e., up about 6:30, leave around 7:30, get there for roughly 8:30, for the race at 9:30.  By the time I have sorted myself out at the end, I may leave at 2pm which means I am back home at about 3pm, then showering etc.  It is quite a long day really, even though it is local.  I reckon a quad at something like Foxy's with the hotel right there would just make it that bit easier with that extra recovery time each day, without the drive, and just rolling out the hotel straight to the start line, and also back again after the events.  I know when I have done doubles at Foxy's, I have had a shower plus a big lunch within an hour of finishing, and then it is just feet up all afternoon and evening.  It is bound to help I reckon.  I did see one of the guys who only lives in Dawlish booked the Travelodge about 3 miles from Plym Trail, which probably isn't a bad idea really.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm not sure that makes any difference at all.   If you're travelling between race venues there's lot of mobility work, getting in and out of car etc, moving around which is beneficial.   When we did doubles, triples the travel to the next race didn't impact on our times.  You might be tired but you'd be tired anyway.

When Rik V did his 30 in 30 days, different venues, he went sub 3 for the first time part way through the series.   I picked his number up for him in Dublin and met him on race morning, I think he'd flown in late the night before, he went on to run sub 3 that day too.

We did North Dorset/Belfast as a double, twice I think.   It might only be 75 miles but as you know it's not a quick drive to home after NDVM, bath, change, pack.   Drive to Exeter airport, fly to Belfast, taxi to hotel.   Meet up with friends then sat up in the bar until just after midnight when race numbers arrived.   Less than 5 hours sleep, then ran Belfast only 3 mins slower that NDVM and I had run as fast as I could at NDVM, still my best time at that race.   What does help is not running the same course every day, I think a new and different course wakes the mind up to run better as it's new challenge.    Apart from the 10 in 10 I've never done the same course on consecutive days except when it's a Director's Marathon pre the main event.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
     Apart from the 10 in 10 I've never done the same course on consecutive days except when it's a Director's Marathon pre the main event.
    Actually, that's a lie, I just looked at my race listing and I did 2 x Clonakilty and 3 x Sixmilebridge and I ran badly on all but the first days.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    An extra 2-3hrs of rest each day definitely makes a difference to me though Shades, so I suppose we are all different.  I get sore hammies whilst driving longish distances even if I am not running marathons, so resting around the hotel just helps to take a level of stress out of it all for me personally.  As I said yesterday though, I am not planning any doubles (let alone quads!), any time soon :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you have the best excuse right now to decline any multiples, would mess up your numbers.   

I've no plans to do any, it's a while since I've done any multiples.  I have a running friend that used to love them, even went to the USA twice to do the series of races, think it was 7 days in 7 different places all organised by the same company.   Same friend that was determined that we could do another triple of 3 countries in 3 days, England, Wales, Ireland, the old triple died was defunct when Snowdonia moved their race to the Saturday.  The triple he wanted to do was DD/Wales/Cork, I wasn't keen as I knew it would be so painful after DD .   Fortunately it was impossible as we couldn't get to Cork in time for the marathon, just as well as I expect I would have been talked into doing it.

6 miles today, foggy for a change, nice running conditions.

Pilates then gym this morning.   

I didn't mind the twice a week lateral flow tests but I am finding the testing every time we go anywhere a bit wearing now, although I've got into the habit of getting the test out ready to do while my breakfast is cooking.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    We had committee meeting last night Shades, and I think most did a test. It’s our awards night on Saturday and we’ve asked everyone to do a test too, but can’t enforce it obviously. I reckon a big majority will though. 

Jumped on Zwift this morning just for a short ride in a large group as part of an 8-week series that’s started on there. Really enjoyed it - I had stopped going on for around 3 weeks as the focus was on the events I was doing really. 
  • Options
    Both the girls are ill and off school since yesterday morning so we’ve been hitting the lateral flows like mad too. So far all clear so suspect it’s just one of their typical bugs. 

Woke up at 4:30 and couldn’t get back to sleep so went out for a 3 miler. Means it’s the first back to back run since god knows when. No ITB feeling at all so fingers crossed we’ve solved that. This other thing is still there but no worse and still low level really. I know I keep saying it but fitness is truly awful and have had some weird torso/back pains this morning which have subsided with ibuprofen. Think part of the issue is the extra weight I’m carrying which adds to the sense of starting from scratch. That seems to be improving already though post xmas excesses.Think I have 5 pounds or so to lose to get back to ideal weight. Rest day and physio tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, the weight does make a big difference, but you will get it off soon enough.  You sound motivated to do it, so that is good.  I am also 4lbs over what I would ideally like, but really when I do quite a few marathons close together I just feel so hungry a lot of the time, and the weight creeps up.  I reckon in probably 2 or 3 weeks I will be back down where I want to be.  Having said that, OH did make fresh croissants this morning which were very good - one cheese, 2 with lashings of jam, plus a freshly baked roll with more cheese.  Oh, and coffee, of course :)  

Shades, for the list, my time for day 1 was 3:49:50 and day 2 was 3:55:05.  I am sure there is no problem, but I have sent the list off to be revalidated again just in case, and given them my plans for the 100th.  I don't think I can order my kit yet, but I will be able to early Feb I believe.  I am not getting much though.  I'll get a couple of patches for my Trotters kit as I will be wearing that still, and a couple of vests, probably one for some kind of medal display, and one in case I want to do a foreign marathon in the kit.  For the UK races I do, I will be wearing Trotters kit still I would imagine, unless I do a 100MC AGM marathon or similar.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Big G - I forgot to wear my mask this morning when walking from the changing room to the Pilates studio, so I apologised and said I'd just done a lateral flow test and then discovered that it seems others aren't testing at all.   That's really annoying, they said they didn't think they were supposed to.   :#

Thanks for your times, I was going to remind you.  Very close times for a double.   :)#
    Re weight I expect your body is still holding onto a bit of fluid after the double, you'll probably drop a couple of pounds by Friday....dependent on those home made croissants though, 😋 they sound delicious.  You need to eat if your body tells you too, you've found a weight that suits you and you can maintain and you'll get back there with no effort.

You haven't done any races since your wannabe status that might be considered questionable so all should be fine.   I never had a 100 badge, I have the 200 and 300 badges, they're tacked to the wall with my medals, I couldn't be bothered to do anything with them, not keen on badges especially those that require sewing.  When I see sewn on badges it reminds me a bit of Girl Guides, not that I was ever a girl guide.     
    It is nice to run in your 100 vest overseas.

Have you arranged for anyone to present your medal etc in Belfast?    I suppose it's early to find out who will be there from the 100 club. 

Rcouture - sorry to hear the girls are ill, usual back to school bugs I guess.

That was a good run this morning from you, no ITB and the other niggle not too obvious is progress.    As Big G said the weight will go when you're training as normal.   If you're carrying the extra few pounds around your waist then it probably feels worse than it is.

Pilates was good, tough.   We did, what for me turned out to be the most powerful glute exercise I've ever done.   Aim was to work the 2 smaller glute muscles as well as gluteus maximus and it did that.   So powerful that having done the exercise on one side when I changed legs my glutes from the first side hurt just as much and both then hurt too.   Instructor said that was because I had very good glute activation, it bloody hurt and didn't wear off until 20 minutes later.   I am expecting DOMS tomorrow.   I do try hard on the glute activation though.

Thankfully it was upper body in the gym afterwards.
  • Options
    Big G I have all MT podcasts recorded so should come across that at some point in the future. well done on getting the marathon done, now the real plan can be actioned. Re foxy vs Davy I don’t think you can beat eating your own food and sleeping in your own bed, find with prem inn/ trav lodge you never feel at home.

Shades just the half and full for CBR, however if I make a wrong turn somewhere could make it another ultra! I do love a ‘green statement’ CSR at its best, look at what we’re doing… brush under the carpet all the other single use plastics in the race.  I was shocked by new balance when I volunteered how every item was wrapped in plastic, jacket, shirt, hat, hi-viz bib, I’m not an eco-warrior but geez was a bit of a shock.

ian and cal great long runs! 

Rcouture hope the girls are better! The starting from scratch feeling won’t last forever, in a few weeks you’ll be back to normal! 

Elle is off work with a throat infection, need to stay clear of her again 😆 probably from going back into school.

been a lazy few days, but got out and did 6 miles this afternoon to keep things ticking over.  Was a bit lighter than it has been at 5pm, hopefully a sign that the days are getting longer 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ve not got anyone to present it but I’m okay with that.  It was always a possibility that would be the case as the likelihood was that my 100th wasn’t going to be a local one, and I haven't really thought about it in relation to Belfast. 
  • Options
    Well done on your marathons Big_G. Really impressive!!

Rcouture - glad to hear you coming back from injury.

ROH - I noticed that about the days! I really hate running in winter.

Shades - I looked at Dublin once you started talking about it. let’s see how I get on at Manchester.

Cal - well done on the park runs!! I struggle to make the 9 ams!!

Ian - nice one on the 17 (?) I did 16 on Sunday. Found it pretty hard going from the off but kept the pace ok (avg 8:20) ; first mile was 9:20 (headwind, of course) so took a while to warm up.

Sorry if I’ve missed anyone!!

Half for me on Sunday. It’s flat; it’s fast (suits me, from a track background). I think I’m going to go out with the 1:30 pacer and hope my alpha flys pick up some of the work!!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I think the use of plastic and the plastic waste issue seems less significant considering the use of plastic created by the pandemic.   Not that we shouldn't strive to use a lot less of course.   I bought one of those reusable bags in the supermarket to buy loose fruit/veg, in about 18 months I've only used it once.  I do however reuse all plastic bags in place of bin liners/food waste etc. but I refuse to pay more because it doesn't come in a plastic bag.    I think for manufacturing it's probably cheaper and more efficient to have all items individually wrapped in plastic bags, such as your NB goodies.  What would have saved plastic would have been to give volunteers just one item, such as the jacket.

Re hotels/home for marathons, I'm a poor sleeper, even worse away from home, but I'm OK in a Travelodge or Premier Inn as I've stayed in so many I am used to them, just have to remember where I am when I wake up.

Good you're still getting out there training, grim weather for running.   I notice the daylight is improving by about one minute a day, but at least in the right direction.

Big G - OH will do some great photos of you if you don't have an 'official' presentation.   Maybe nearer the time you'll find out it any of the 100 club will be there.   Usually there are a few.   Just make sure that you don't get your presentation done by PF who lives in NI, he's cheated in races along with a few other things.    Last time I did Belfast all the 100 club runners blanked him, I haven't spoken to him for years.

bradders - Dublin is a very good marathon, it's ballot entry so you wouldn't get a place for this year, but maybe one for the future.

Your marathon training seems to be going well, good luck for Sunday, let us know how you get on.  

Rest day for me today.

Food shop this morning, lateral flow test done, we've got frost think I'll have to de-ice the car  :#
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Bradders.  I did my sub-90 for the first time in the summer, and it was a great feeling!  

Robert, I have noticed the light hanging around for longer in the evening too, when I take the dog for a walk.

I did another 50-mins on Zwift yesterday afternoon.  By all accounts, the system was having  a lot of problems in the evening as they have this hugely popular 8-week series that runs every hour (Tour de Zwift) plus their racing league s taking place (Zwift Racing League), so it is a lot of people.  There were apparently lots of people who couldn't log in or were getting booted out.  I was fine when I went on at 3pm though, but that isn't the really busy time period. 
  • Options
    Rcouture, I think we are carrying the same 5lbs. Mine doesn't seem to want to leave, this time around.
    Good luck, Bradders. I'm a morning person so no worries there. 
    Poor Elle, Rob! She's not having the best luck.
    Big G, hope you're starting to recover from Plym.
    Enjoy your rest, Shades.

Not sure if I pushed a bit too hard at the weekend or if there's another reason but I've been I've not been feeling great. Wondering if I overdid it at the weekend. I did have one night where I just didn't sleep (even got up at 2:30am to stretch, then had a cuppa and read before managing to go back to sleep again) and the next night had a couple of glasses of wine, which I don't usually do. So could be that, or a health issue. Did a really slow 5 yesterday before it got light...waited for daylight today and managed 6. It was a bit faster but should have been an MLR, really. I just wasn't feeling it.
    Got back to find a letter from the hospital (I had a mammogram last week) inviting me back for a second check which is worrying...as I don't have enough to worry about with my heart. Of course I'm telling myself it's probably nothing, but I also thought that when I got my first dodgy ECG and that turned out to be something. FFS.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
     Cal - sorry to hear about the recall from the hospital.  Hopefully just a precaution that will come to nothing.  

Have you done a lateral flow test just to check you don't have Covid, you were car sharing at the weekend weren't you?

Maybe you're just overtired.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your potential health issue there, Cal. Hopefully it’s just a precaution they’re asking you to go back.

6.5 miles for me this afternoon, with clear skies and sun. I hadn’t planned to go out for a run today but the weather was too tempting. 
  • Options
    I hope so too. Most recalls are nothing. The woman who did my scan was still a trainee so I'm hoping it's just something to do with her not quite managing a good scan. I really don't need another body part trying to kill me.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's what I've heard about recalls too.   Hope the next scan is soon.

8 miles this morning.  Very cold and frosty, horrible running conditions, roads and pavements were dry where I live but a couple of miles down the road I had to change my route as ice on road and pavement and not safe to run.   Couple of patches later where I had to stop and tiptoe carefully over the ice.   Bring back the rain  :)

Stretch class followed by leg/glute session in the gym this morning
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I looked out the window at about 6:00am and saw it was icy everywhere :(  I wondered if you would have gone out or not.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - roads etc are dry here but surprisingly it was Kerswell where the ice was bad.   Usually the closer I get to Torquay the less ice there is but the roads obviously were still wet from the rain before it froze.
  • Options
    Shades...Monday, so not too long to worry about it. Still, I found it very hard to get to sleep last night. I've decided to have a couple of restful days but I've booked a train to another parkrun on Saturday so I've got something to look forward to.
    For the record, lateral flow test was negative, not that the results are all that reliable.
  • Options
    Cal - Fingers crossed for the all-clear

Shades - Nice 8 miles in tricky conditions 

I’ve woken up with this bug the girls have had and it’s a chesty one so no running today as planned. Saw physio yesterday who thinks my squat issue is manageable and has given me some exercises to work on. He’s also happy with ITB progress and for me to keep running which is good. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, great news you’ve been given the all clear to run.

Just a leisurely walk with Tigg earlier and then an easy 30mins on Zwift. Seeing a mate for lunch in a bit, so walking over to Torquay to see him. We share lots of hobbies/interests, but he’s recently had a book published (self published) so looking forward to hearing about all that. It’s on Amazon for £14 in a hardback, but he told me he only gets £1 per book through Amazon!  Good on him for getting it done though. It’s something I looked into a few years ago now, but I’ve not got the talent for it really.