Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that’s really annoying about Active. A couple of Trotters think they have been scammed when entering races via Run Britain as well recently. I can’t make the Plym Trail May event, unfortunately. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Shades, yes, we got to keep the parkrun gear. Hoody, t shirt, shorts and shoes of our choice from a range from Pro Direct. 

As a matter of interest I did a 13 mile run last January, about 10 days before my fall, on the same route as today. Ok, it was an extra mile compared to today but below are the stats. On average, about 20-30s/mile quicker today as you can see. 
    Jan 2021:

Today (HR not correct on first two miles):

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you'll be sorry to miss Plym Trail  ;).  I'm doing Halstead that weekend.   :)

That's good and suitable payment for your modelling gig.

That's a big improvement on pace compared to last year.  Are you still having issues with HRM for first mile or so?  Annoying.

Thanks for the warning on RunBritain, I think North Dorset use RunBritain, I have a deferred entry from 2020 and haven't entered anything via RunBritain for a long time.  Doubt UKA will do anything about that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I thought it was late compared to normal,but it's the latest it can be then,I was looking for one on the 7th,if by some fluke I'm in GFA shape it's the last day,even though 4 days later I'd have an extra 5 mins leeway.
    Big G-Really good improvement on pace there,boding well for the spring.
    Still not running but feels better again,going to jump on the bike for another 50,will probably do the same tomorrow and see how I am Sunday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I do quite often have an issue with the HRM early on in a run. I think it is less of an issue in the summer when I get warmer quicker. It’s not really a problem on the run itself as I know the effort I want to run at and I always take the first mile steady anyway. It does mess up the stats a bit though, but other than that it’s okay.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - is the 7th August the final day for London GFA times?

Off the top of my head the only one I know of that weekend is East Cork on the 6th.

Good to hear the back is improving.

Big G - unless you use conductive jelly you're probably stuck with that problem in cool conditions
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes the 7th is the latest for 2023.
    The window is missing a lot of big races,both Londons and Berlin must produce a lot of the places each year but neither count for this window.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well you might be able to use a Spring marathon for a GFA.   Boston would be a great place to nail it.  🙂
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That would be amazing,but not a chance I'll be PB'ing there,lack of recent miles but more concerning is how heavy I am,first time I've weighed myself in over a tear and I'm embarrassed with hiw much I've put on.Some serious work to be done.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - over a year  :o   Once a week from now on and take your waist measurement at the same time, you'll have that sorted by the time you run Boston.   Remember in theory, one minute 35 seconds faster per pound of fat lost, over a marathon distance.

8 miles this morning.  We had rain yesterday and then a heavy frost, so lots of icy patches which was annoying as couldn't run freely for very long.   Started to warm up a bit on the way home but the ice didn't melt.

Gym later
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    7 miles today, really steady, and had a decent run out, including parkrun. Cold, but not much wind.  Very encouraging splits again for the flat miles at MAF, and I think the lack of wind helped a lot with that (8:06-8:12min/mile for the flat 3 miles). 

I have this half tomorrow and not sure how I am going to pace it yet. Thinking about running it at marathon pace/effort, and not all out, but I’ll probably decide tomorrow. In any case the weather looks terrible (strong wind, and rain) for tomorrow. I won’t be wearing the super shoes as it’s not a big race for me but I am looking forward to it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good consistent stats again on your MAF pace.

I saw the forecast was not good for tomorrow, the start will be blowy and is open but once you get going there may be more shelter from the wind on the narrow lanes.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I've not been bothered for a long time as I've felt fine,but noticed my work trousers back getting tight,took me ages to down a couple of sizes so don't want to go up again.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, you know I don't like the wind or rain, but I need to get the miles in, and at least this race will ensure that I do :)   Hopefully the drive up will be okay though. 

Just trying to figure out what to do mileage-wise in the lead up to Seville.  I know we are all different, but I personally don't need to taper fro 2 weeks, so I think I may more or less follow the P&D mileage next week (possibly a bit less), but if I do the 10-mile race next weekend, I will have to move things around again.  If I do that 10-mile race, I won't do the tempo run in the plan, either.  And then the week before the race maybe just run to how I feel, although nothing too long.  I am travelling out on the Friday so probably that will be a rest day (it is an early start from here and all being well I'd like to get the Expo stuff sorted that day), probably I will do a short run on the Saturday AM, and then the race is on the Sunday.  They do have a breakfast run on the Saturday but I haven't entered that, as if I run I will just do my own thing I would have thought.  Spain has no parkruns, which is a shame, as I would probably have done that if there had been one close by (I still regret not doing Berlin parkrun when I was there!). 
  • Big G - Good luck in the half tomorrow. When you say you don’t need to taper, you mean you’ve felt fine just running easy in the lead up to races as opposed to cutting mileage? I’m still trying to figure out what works best for me. I don’t really race enough to test different things out and haven’t yet had a ‘normal’ taper anyway. 

Ian - I feel your pain. I was probably carrying 6-7 extra pounds into Florence due to my injury and lack of running which under Shades’ formula would have meant a 3:10 for me 😀. Weirdly I’ve been in a calorific deficit for a good month now but haven’t lost that much weight. I suspect it might be all the strength stuff offsetting it. 

6 and a bit miles this morning. Minimal knee issues. Lovely day for it. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I just mean that I don’t think I’ll need to reduce my mileage dramatically too far out from the race. I think, generally speaking, an easier week the week before suits me better than tapering for 2-3 weeks. It wasn’t the same level of intensity as they were slower marathons but around Xmas/New Year I did those four marathons and was pretty tired after them, but just took an easy week afterwards, and then got on with this training. When I’ve had PBs in the past, they’ve sometimes been with a marathon the week before.  We’re all different though - some runners feel they need to taper for 2-3 weeks, and that is totally fine, it’s just that I don’t feel I would benefit from that. 
  • Big G - That’s interesting. In the event I am fit enough to do Copenhagen in May I may try a shorter taper since it won’t have been preceded by months and months of heavy mileage.
  • Today's parkrun was Swanley in Kent (only just outside London, so counts as a London Plus). After enjoying a superb red sunrise over my local station, I met with my clubmate Cathryn at Victoria and we took the train together. The course is multiterrain...mostly grass and trail but fortunately not very muddy. It's almost bow-shaped with a long out and back and two different loops, the second of which features a bit of a hill (up and down). Twice around that lot...first lap was pleasant but calves were burning on the second. Cathryn was first lady to finish so she came and yelled encouragement at me on my second huff puff up the hill, which helped me get my fastest time of the year (28:07). Good enough for fifth lady too (out of 39) and 35th overall.
    We got a coffee at the cafe afterwards and also bought some duck food there, so had a nice time feeding the local ducks and geese. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - good luck for tomorrow.  For me it's the waiting around at the start in bad weather that can be pretty awful, the running part is usually better.   And as it's a half there shouldn't be any danger of getting cold in the latter stages such as can often happen in a marathon.   I always enjoyed that race, hope you do too.
    Your plan for the week before Seville sounds sensible, taking the Friday as rest and a short run on the Saturday.

What's the temperature likely to be in Seville?

Ian - you don't want to be wasting money on bigger work trousers when you can use that money for running shoes/kit/races.  🤣

Rcouture - it's a matter of trial and error finding what tapering needs to be done for the individual runner.

I don't taper, if I taper the traditional way starting 3 weeks out I will have a terrible race.   I'm better to keep the mileage up and like Big G some of my marathon PBs are the week after my last marathon.

DD is a big challenge for me with the cut off times but all my best runs at DD have been when I've had a series of marathons pre DD preferably with a marathon the weekend before DD too
       So that's what I've planned this year, it might not work, we'll see.

Cal - it sounds like you're travelling further each week for a new parkrun.
  • Shades - I think I’ve got such limited experience compared to you and Big G that I’d probably benefit from some taper. I will likely just adjust the length depending on how preparation has gone.

Think I forgot to mention that my sister got  engaged a couple of weeks ago and has kindly set the wedding date a week after Chicago marathon given I was going to be there anyway (she lives in Chicago). Fingers crossed I can get to the start line ok as would hopefully then be a brilliant week!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I wish it was only 6-8 I need to lose.Really good news on the wedding and great timing from your sister.
    Shades-I have no intention of buying bigger trousers,bit of hurt each morning will remind me to keep going when I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - re taper, I think you're right to initially follow the general advice on how to taper and if it needs adjusting in the future then do that.   Every runner is different in their taper and recovery requirements and as time goes on those requirements can change.

Congratulations to your sister, how thoughtful to plan the wedding just after the marathon.  Are you taking the family to Chicago too?
  • Shades - OH will be there for the wedding for sure but we are just working things out for the girls as depends on how flexible our eldest’s school is with missing time (they aren’t basically). I suspect I’ll go out there earlier for the race and OH and/or the girls will join later. Will see though, haven’t started the organising yet.

Ian - I’m sure the lbs will fly off once your mileage rises. 
  • Big_G: I am having the same sort of erratic HR readings for the first few minutes of a run so to get more accuracy I have been stopping the watch after a km or so, saving that data and then starting the run proper from zero. A bit like warming up for a race. Only takes a few seconds.
    Also I was in Seville two years ago today and loved the place! I got off the plane at 11pm and it was 26 degrees! And it was 28 most days...however for my early morning runs it was only 8! So expect anything! Some pleasant running along the river.
    I went on a walking tour of the city which was actually a very, very slow amble: 
    https://www.neweuropetours.eu/sandemans-tours/seville/free-tour-of-seville/

Rcouture: I did another Sandemans tour in Copenhagen. The tours are free but you are expected to tip the guide.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Howdy all

Might have accidentally entered another 6 marathons today. Two in August in MK around that lake that BG knows well i imagine ;) 6/7th IIRC. Then next years Quadzilla there too cos why not have a holiday when it fits in between WWE royal rumble and the Superbowl weekends.

Also managed a slow park run today prob cos it was windy as feck up here but way more effort than i'd expect for the time i did......
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Alehouse. I was going to say to Shades that the race could start at around 8deg and end at around 18-20. If it’s 29 it’ll turn into a ‘get around’-job as for me 8-10deg is perfect, and 29 no good for me. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    28 or so in this country is hot and I find running difficult;  I don't find the dry heat of Spain particularly uncomfortable, however. 
    18-20 would be perfect!

Keith, I will testify to it being foul in the north west today!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Big G - sounds like conditions at Seville could be ideal.....not like today  ;)

alehouse - hope all is well with you.

Keith - I take it you were missing not having signed up for this year's Quadzilla hence the speedy sign up for next year.
    Windy as feck here today.   :)

My favourite 8 mile hilly route today, heavy rain when I got up and I went out earlier than planned as any later I may have had to run through a couple of floods and I didn't fancy getting wet feet today.   The wind was OK where I live, not much more than a breeze but 2 miles into my run I was nearly knocked off my feet when I turned sharply to cross a road, but the rain stopped.   Once I'd run down into the valley the wind eased and conditions were fine until I got to 5+ miles then the stretch of road past the prison I had the wind behind me but I struggled a few time to keep my balance it was so strong, it was exhausting, the rain started again too.    The next mile the old trees were creaking and I was worried one might come down but nothing did, back home the sun was out and barely a breeze, weird weather.

50 miles for the week
  • Shades - Nice run and mileage. You’ve been at 50 miles for a couple of weeks now? Is that the sweet spot for you?

10 miles for me. First double digit run since Florence and felt really good. Knee felt itself a bit from mile 7-8 but never got above a mild irritation. I’m not even sure these days if it’s the bursa or ITB. Anyway that’s 31 miles for the week so building nicely. Don’t know whether to take a down week this coming week or since I’m still a ways from my normal weekly mileage (>40miles) I don’t need to bother yet? I’ve got a crazy week at work so would fit that nicely. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you've built your mileage nicely to reach 31 this week and to get a 10 miler done today with only slight discomfort is progress.
    It would make sense to have an easier week now and as you're going to be very busy at you won't miss a few miles.

50 mpw is a good base mileage for me and manageable with my gym work.   At this mileage plus the gym I am seeing a steady but small improvement in my training pace.