Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Stunning view indeed 

Shades - Sounds like you had a lovely run. I made roast potatoes with wild garlic last Sunday lunch, it was a game changer  😍.

6 miles back from the office last night. Hadn’t been into the office for about a month due to hols and work travel. Was nice though I doubt I’ll be in more than a couple of times a week. I’m in two minds about the club session later so will see how i feel. I know I don’t really need it this close to the race but I quite enjoy them and haven’t been much at all this year due to injury and caution coming back. Knee seems ok but don’t want to risk anything at this stage either. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - roast potatoes with wild garlic sounds divine.   The garlic has just flowered here, doesn't have the garlicky odour yet.

Do the club session if your legs feel fresh.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Great views there.

Sore quads after the marathon, so some short walks on Mon/Tues. Then 5m recovery runs (10 min/miles) on Wed/Thur.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, sounds a great event. Good on you for entering. That will be a tough challenge!  Not great about work though. 

Shades, yes, we’re in Scotland, about 15mins from the ferry port. We will be nipping into Stranraer to get a few bits from the supermarket before making the trip over. Everything is apparently on time this morning on the ferries, but I will feel much happier when I’m actually over there!

Steve, good you’re able to run. Is the calf manageable?

Peace was shattered this morning when the half a dozen guineafowl showed up. They were squawking, which made Tigg bark, which made them squawk louder, which made Tigg bark.....and so it went until they were out of sight. Neighbour next door has brought their cat with them….Tigg thinks that cats have no right to exist, but fortunately we’ve managed to keep them out of sight of each other. 

I need to read all the stuff from the race organisers at some point. I have skim read it but didn’t see anything about waves, but will read or ask at the help desk. It’s quite a big event so will be surprised if they have nothing. I suspect I would have put 3:15 down if they’d asked when I entered (I can’t remember if they did), but I will be nowhere near that this weekend. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Steve - DOMS in the quads is more painful than calves or hamstrings.

Big G - good to hear the ferry is on schedule, I'll be happier when you're there too  ;)

Guinea fowl make the most awful noise, they're cute and lovely to eat though.

Fancy taking the cat camping, I'm sure a cat would prefer to be left at home.

I can't remember anything about waves but we started outside City Hall when I ran it, I'm sure there weren't pens, maybe just signage at the side of the road.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Always my quads I get doms in.
    Big G-Have a good trip across.
    Still positive here,currently on day 5 so waiting on 2 negatives to go back to work,also getting frustrated at not being able to run,technically I can go outside but my chest isn't up to it.
  • Shades - Spoke with our CEO after work about concerns over the pension, how they put >£500 a month in and has a big impact on my decision to work for them, and how if I was to choose to leave the company, and benefits weren't as good at the new place I'd expect to be compensated with a higher salary or I wouldn't leave.  Said how if we were TP over I'd be in a worse position and asked if there were talks about being compensated?  But got a general lip service response, of the remaining workforce feel the same about the TP/TPA but I think it's where they feel they are losing 'their right' to a enhanced redundancy for their long service.  Great time of year to run, I do love a bluebell and garlic run!!!

Rcouture I was in the office yesterday for the 3rd time since October yesterday, didn't get anything done as just chatted.  Maybe worth going to the club session and use it as a social outlet?

Steve - Been suffering with DOMs in the quads myself, managed to get over the worst now.

Big G - Being dog owners previously, we contemplated taking cats away with us but didn't need to discuss too much, they don't appreciate being away so unless it's for medical reasons then we wouldn't ever bother.  hope the crossing is okay. 

Probably be a rest day for me today, had a glance over my marathon spreadsheet yesterday.  Sunday was marathon no. 30, 15 of them have been pb/ fast attempts, 15 slower/ trail/ off road. Sunday's 4:09:21 was my median time and my mean time is 4:09:36  only a few seconds slower to perfection. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - don't rush back to your running, at least until your waking RHR is back to normal range and your chest feels clear.   I've been following the Covid threads on Fetch and it seems that those that rushed back into training took far longer to recover.

How's your OH?

Robert - best you can do is try to negotiate your salary if/when you move.   At least if you don't get what you want you have time to find another job.

I guess if you're looking at the marathon spreadsheet you're planning a few more. 😉   Congratulations on getting to 30.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That’s good stats keeping there, Robert!

Ferry over went well, with everything on time today and we are at the next site, which is a NT place, right on a lake. We are here for 2 nights and looking forward to some nice walks etc. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-She isn't too bad,able to do some WFH today so she feels like she's contributing.
    Inspired by Rob,and bored,I decided to tally up my marathons,23 completed now,average of 3:35.7xsub 3:15,14xsub 3:30 and 20xsub 4,not bad for a guy who celebrated when he actually ran a mile for the first time on a treadmill just 7 years ago 😂
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - glad you've arrived safely, you can relax now for the next couple of days.

Ian - good that both of you are recovering well.  

I'm not going to analyse my spreadsheet right now.   But as long as I finish on Sunday that will be my 400th marathon/ultra.

Coincidentally it will also be my 500th race over all distances.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob, sorry you're having job worries. Must be stressful.
    Big G, that must've been a hell of an awakening. Not sure what guinea fowl sounds like. I'm usually woken by parakeets - bloody racket they make - or sometimes crows, and quite often foxes.
    Rcouture, I tend to be cautious. But then I'm older and break easily.
    Shades, those are some amazing milestones! I'm just happy I've done 10 marathons...can't really envisage hitting three figures.
    Ian, that is quite something.

Another 6 miles today...it was OK but my legs were strangely sore (not your usual DOMS). Not sure why as yesterday's activity was walking 2 miles to Runner's Need with a bag full of shoes for recycling, then 2 miles home again. Didn't buy anything (although I tried on the 1080s. They don't fit me as well as the Epic Reacts so not sure what I'll do once I burn through my last pair of those. Still, that's a problem for another day).
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Rob - Yes office time now seems mainly to catch up with people with actual work happening at home. Not a bad setup in my mind. 

Ian - I didn’t realise you’d only started running 7 years ago. That’s pretty great progress. 

Big G - Enjoy the break

Cal - What is it about the epic reacts that you’d want to find in another shoe?

Went to club session yesterday which was fun. Managed to stay on pace although the last set felt pretty brutal. Speaking to the group it seems like this session and the club Tuesday track is about all the running they do outside of the main marathon/tri seasons so not surprising they’re fresher (helps they are half my age too 😬). Anyway knee kept it together and including warmup and cool-down that’s a good 14 miles banked including 32 mins of tempo so certainly time to taper. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - find a YouTube video of the guinea fowl sounds, they make a terrible racket.   They are good as an alarm system.

Having a clear out of your shoes?   It's so annoying when you find a shoe you really like and then they stop making it or it changes so much that it no longer suits.   Trouble is there are just so many shoes around now but of course not all stocked by the shops.    Have you tried Hokas? Very lightweight and you will get a lot of miles out of them.   What about Under Armour, their shoes are getting great reviews, they have a lot of models though so you'll have to do a bit of research.  UA are next on my to buy list, but haven't narrowed down to which model yet.

5 miles today, nice morning but still far too chilly for comfort.   Was hoping it would warm up for my race on Sunday but looks like it is getting colder.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Cal - I also like the site below as you can stick in any shoe you like and it will give you a comparison of what it deems to be similar ones (you can also add shoes to compare). Won’t tell you how they feel but at least you can check the stats clearly. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve got a similar issue with the NB1080 as the new model has changed the heel design, and the heel design is why I initially tried that model as it was helpful getting over achilles problems. I think I have either 2 or 3 pairs still in boxes so I’m ok for a bit but I’d like a similar heel design to the ones I’ve got if I can find them.  

Not sure my average for a road event, it’s probably in the region of 3:45ish. 

I’ve never seen it but apparently the place we’re staying was made famous by Game of Thrones. It doesn’t mean much to me but Winterfell in the series was based here, for any fans of the show?  Where we are staying is a massive National Trust place and this campsite is within the grounds, overlooking Strangford Lough. Lots of running routes etc, and in a way I’m surprised there’s not a parkrun here. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the v12 of the 1080 still has the 'elf' design, only difference is that the heel tab is now padded.   The reviews I've read say that is a big improvement in the shoe.   The v11 have the thin tab.  I read a few reviews this week on the v12 and all good, better than v11 allegedly.  

I've never seen GoT either but big tourist attraction for visitors to where it was/is filmed. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe you could get to a running shop in Belfast and try the v12's on?    According to reviews they are coming up large and some reviewers recommending going down a half size.   That's a bit of a nightmare as we went up a half for the v10  :#
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    First negative test today,if I get another tomorrow I'm free.Wasn't expecting it as I feel exactly the same as I did yesterday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - excellent news.   Although you are now allowed out with Covid it must still make you feel like a prisoner.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades/Rcouture/Big G...what I like about the Epics is a) flyknit, b) cushioned and yet c) lightweight and quite minimal in feel. The successor, the Infinity React, has a similar look but is a much heavier shoe, with stability features that I don't want. 
    I thought the 1080 might do as it has a flyknit type upper, but I found the collar/padded heel tab (v12) very intrusive. I guess it's like wearing jogging bottoms all through the pandemic and then having to put tailored clothes on to go back to the office. I did try the older version but they feel quite sloppy around the heel. I neeed to run in a pair to get a better idea but wasn't wearing a bra yesterday so I didn't fancy hopping on the treadmill in the shop. :lol:
    I've always avoided Hokas as they have a low drop and I have a history of achilles problems (dormant at the moment, fortunately).

Ian, good stuff.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Yes I think quite a bit of GoT was filmed in NI, along with other locations. Strangford Lough is always on Springwatch too! Calf is not too bad, I need to roll it a bit, but like before it doesn't stop me from running or hurt, I just know it's there and not 100%.
    Quads I think were worse than usual as there is a climb on the course you complete twice, going up seems OK, but it's even steeper going down and rather than brake to slow myself I just let myself go so quads took a pounding on that bit.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - it;s those downhills that trash the quads, not helped by deferring your recovery run until DOMS had set in.   Hope legs are more or less OK now.

Cal - I haven't tried the v11, you probably need to try the v10 as they are fine on the heel fit.   But limited sizes available now on the internet so very hard to get hold of.

I'm not buying any more Hokas either because of the low drop, I do wish they'd do an 8 or even a 10mm drop shoe.

Lots of shoes are switching to flyknit so I'm sure you can find something.

No bra 😲
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Have you tried the rebel v2? They seem to tick those boxes. I use them for tempo stuff but think they’re meant to be for daily training. Quite a few deals on them at the mo too as think a new version is on its way. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Even though as I was allowed out I haven't been,apart from a walk around the park a few times a day,as with being off work it wouldn't feel right doing anything.Off for a run this afternoon 👍
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, my OH is something of a bird expert (she wouldn’t describe herself like that, but she is), and has been enjoying the different birds she’s seen on the water here. Possibly that’s why it’s on Springwatch a lot, as there are lots of different breeds. Yeah, when I googled GoT filming locations lots of areas came up around Northern Ireland. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Very easy 4 miles,tried to keep the heart rate to usual easy effort,ended up 4 beats over so I'm fine with that.1 more day off work tomorrow then back Sunday,as long as I'm negative tomorrow that is.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Glad you managed to get back out there, Ian. Fingers crossed for another negative tomorrow. 

We had a nice day today, as we walked around most of the estate here, before walking into nearby Strangford where we had a very decent pub lunch. In Strangford, there’s a ferry over to a place called Portaferry (about 10mins on the ferry) and we had a walk around there and then went back to Strangford for a nice coffee and cake. We’re back at the van now and about to have something to eat.   

Hoping to get along to a parkrun tomorrow, and then we have to go into Belfast to pick the race number up. We are staying at another NT place tomorrow and Sunday nights near to Stormont, which is where Sunday’s race starts. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - must have felt good to be back running.   

Big G - sound like you're having a nice relaxing time.   Enjoy your day and collecting that very special number  :)

Rest day for me today.