Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I did quite an unusual parkrun this morning called Knockbracken Reservoir, a few miles outside Belfast. It was 3 laps around a water park, where there were loads of inflatable water slides etc for the kids at one end, and swimming & canoeing at the other end. It was 3 laps, that included running through an ‘arena’ each lap. A few runners jumped in for a swim session afterwards. 

Got into Belfast for 11, which is when the expo started, and parked up (free parking). A small expo, but unfortunately they’d given out number 100 to someone else. Mess up of comms yesterday as someone at the help desk was giving out ‘special’ numbers to whoever requested them :( Someone who requested 600 also missed out apparently.  They knew my name etc, but nothing could be done. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh no, that's bad news about giving away your very special number.

It wasn't such a great idea of the organisers to have them collected at special desk but should have been allocated to you with the other runner's numbers.   

But if it's any consolation I meant to have mine framed but 19 years later it's still in the cupboard.

But nothing will take away the achievement of completing 100 marathons, so I hope you have a most enjoyable day tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bad news on the number but I hope you have a really enjoyable race tomorrow.
    Shades-Good luck with your race tomorrow,500 races is incredible.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds nice, Big G. I enjoy seeing birds too. If I don't know what they are, I check the bird finder on the RSPB site.
    Ian, sounds positive. Well, er, postively negative, I guess?

I did Southall parkrun today (so I'm LonDone again). Felt OK, perfect weather and it's a flat course (maybe a bit too twisty for a really fast time, but still pretty quick especially as it's one that doesn't attract a lot of runners just yet). I was hopeful I could get back under 27 minutes (I did run 26:20 in December) but couldn't manage it. 27:22. My fastest time this year, but can't help but be a bit disappointed. I really need to get rid of that half a stone (not to mention doing some actual speed training again).
    Park was nice though, and the volunteers were some of the most enthusiastic I've come across.
    On that basis I'm not sure how fast I'll manage the Westminster Mile tomorrow. Probably won't even break 8 minutes.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Good luck tomorrow. What an incredible milestone

Shades - 500 isn’t bad either 😉

Cal - Well done on LonDone. 

6 miles this morning. Heavy legged from tempo day before yesterday but knee all good. Am looking forward to winding things down this taper. I’m not sure I’ve got quite the level of mileage I wanted in this block given the ITB management but aside from that I’m happy with how training has gone. Good news too that have got someone to watch the girls so OH can come to Copenhagen. Have therefore changed flights and landing on the Friday to have a proper weekend of it ahead of Sunday race. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice. Don't do too much walking around the day before or your feet won't like you on Sunday. I'd suggest a nice potter around Tivoli and a meal (there are something like 50+ eateries in there - everything from a burger bar to a Michelin starred restaurant).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I'm sure when you've clocked up as many years running as I have your total will be circa 500 or so.

Hope the LFT was negative today too.

Cal - good luck for your mile race tomorrow.    I'd find that a very difficult and terrifying experience. 😱

Rcouture - you've not had the ITB nightmare that you had close to Florence so relax now and enjoy the taper.  

Great news that your OH can accompany you to Copenhagen.   Don't forget to look good in the race photos as she'll be taking loads 😉
  • Options
    Big G shame about the number,
    well done on getting another parkrun in, hope you have a great run tomorrow! 

Shades that marathon if it’s anything like their 20 miler I did in 2011 then it’ll be nice and flat! Also seen Bolton marathon cancelled and no refunds.  Seen it happen to a few races due to covid. Good luck tomorrow, half way to 1000 😉 

Cal well done on the Londone again! Enjoy tomorrow and Monday, I really enjoyed both events in 2019 didn’t take them too seriously.

Rcouture great news on making a better break in Copenhagen!

5 mile run down to Barclay parkrun today, horrible course 3 laps with a few undulations (300ft) met up with someone who I used to play cricket with 15 years ago and had a catch up.  Finished in 25:58 my fastest parkrun time since my fall and a fair bit left in the tank.  Coffee with an WJ and school mate then got bus back as want to get out again tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - fairly recently I finally got round to logging all my races.   I'd always kept the marathon/ultra race list up to date.   But 20+ years of training diaries were taking up to much room so put all races on a race history spreadsheet, I could then chuck the diaries out.   It's only when I added the recent 50k races that I saw that I was on 499.   I'm still more interested in marathons and ultras, trying to reach 100 ultras, not easy as I don't do off road.  I'm just past 300 road marathons too.

I looked at Morecambe, but long drive from here, maybe another year.

I saw Bolton got a lot of abuse, unnecessarily IMHO, as they've lost a lot money and not their fault there was a pandemic.

You've certainly recovered from Dorney to clock a speedy parkrun.
  • Options
    I was updating my race sheet before lockdown but can't find it now.  I'm on around 85 races but not aiming any numbers just running what I want and when.  I plan to do another year of WJ champ races, I'm hoping we choose some ATW races as can use my race entries.  

It was sad that Bolton didn't happen, I can understand why people would have been upset but these things happen.  Had the race finished at the football stadium then I would have considered it just because what that stadium means to me watching Chelsea. 

Clocked 140 miles for April, 2nd highest since my fall.  That included the majority of my marathon training, a taper, the marathon itself.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Unfortunately I had a slight line today so classed as positive again.
    Didn't realise Bolton had cancelled,had a quick Google and the biggest thing for me is the lack of transparency, if he's spent all the money then fair enough,pop it on a sheet on line and let people see where the money has gone.
    Rob-I looked at Morrcambe as I've done a few races that way,it is flat,but a lot along the front so the weather could play havoc,esp in October.
    Cal-Good luck in the mile,I've never raced that short, 5k pain is bad enough for me.
    Rcouture-Good news on Copenhagen,we're just getting our stuff ready for Barca next weekend,hoping I'm fully recovered by then.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob, I guess Barclay is no longer on the winter course then. When I ran it, it was four laps plus two additional laps of the lake! Good time though. I don't seem to be able to hit anything near my old times...still struggling in that respect.
    Heard about Bolton...a lot of people very annoyed with him. I was looking at it at one point as it's near Colin but there were a couple of things put me off. Glad I didn't bother.
    Ian...annoying. As long as you feel OK.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Big G 😃
  • Options
    Hope it goes well today Big G!!! 
  • Options
    Few years ago myself and elle did a local 6
    mile loop and been meaning to run it since, so today decided to run 3 miles there and back plus another mile where I took a wrong turning in the woods. 13 miles multi terrain took in one of my out XC routes at school, also took about 200m of yesterdays Barclay parkrun
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one Rob.

Big congrats to Big G for Belfast and his 100th marathon. Huge achievement! Respect.

So today was a bit of a step into the unknown...the Vitality Westminster Mile. It's the first standalone mile race I've done, although I did mile relays with my club a couple of times and always enjoyed them.
    My concern today was putting my niggly bits under pressure, especially as I've done precisely no speedwork since Manchester with the exception of parkruns and a crap lot of strides when my knee was hurting. After yesterday's parkrun, I figured I've be doing well to get under 8 minutes.
    Made sure I did my yoga and some stretching before I left the house, and I did a mile in Green Park when I arrived that also included a few drills.
    I met a couple of nice women - one a lady in her 60s who runs barefoot and is rather quick (she lives in Battersea so I'm trying to get her to join Chasers) and another who is a doctor from Nigeria who I took to be American as she learned English with a US accent. She was very quick - 6 minute miler. Exchanged Facebook info, anyway.
    The start was on the Mall and the route took us around the outside of St James Park before finishing in front of Buckingham Palace.
    There was one adult wave, a lot of family waves and a parkrun wave (plus a couple of others...can't remember what). I was in the adult wave as it was the first to go, so I expected it to be really big, but it actually wasn't - maybe a few 100 people. 
    We started bang on 10am and then it was just a case of trying to go as fast as I could without blowing up. My left calf got a bit tight but other than that, I felt pretty strong and the distance markers (I noticed the ones at 800m and 400m to go) seemed to fly past. Once I turned the corner to see the finish I saw it was still under 8 minutes so I gave it as much as I could, until the point I was audibly gasping. I made it in 7:50, which I am pretty pleased with. This gives me something to build on going forward.
    While I have the 10K tomorrow, I do have another mile race on the 12th, although it comes the day after the 5 mile trail race on Wimbledon Common so I doubt it'll be faster. But who knows?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Hi all, just a quick check in to say I’ve done it!  

Belfast was an interesting course, and you could kind of tell all the different politics of the different areas, with placards up on lampposts all over the place for different political parties. It also goes past a lot of the infamous murals as well, so not necessarily described as a scenic course, but I’m glad I’ve done it. 

I held myself together in terms of managing the injuries, and started off really steady knowing the first half was easier than the second (which had a couple of gradual climbs in). Lots of support out on the course and I saw OH and Tigg a couple of times, which was great. It rained for some of it, but the sun made an appearance too, so I was lucky really as yesterday it rained all day. 

One minor complaint is that the loos at the start were far, far too few. 24 in total, plus a public loo. I know many races never seem to have enough, but this was very low numbers. They even said in the race blurb that they probably can’t cater for all the runners and encouraged people to use the loo at home. I did that, but of course still needed to go again. I made the start area as the gun went off though so it ended up being ok. 

I need to check the results later but there were lots of relay runners (5 per team). It seemed like there were 100s of teams, which was a bit disorienting as relay runners basically sprinted past me at various sections of the course. 

In terms of my time I did 3:48 (watch time), and it is very clear I’ve lost a lot of fitness! But then the last few weeks I’ve done only 29/12/3/3 miles so not ideal, and even before that it hasn’t been great since Seville really. 

But I’m pleased. It seems to have been a long time coming, what with the pandemic etc, so I’m delighted to have finally done it! If you’d have said after London 2010 that I’d go in to do 100 I’d have honestly thought you were completely crazy. I need a bit of time to process it really and I’ll go back over the spreadsheet when I’m home to see some of the highs (and lows...). 

We hung around the finish for a bit, and had a pizza and a coffee, then there were free busses back to Stormont, so we used those and then walked back to the site from there. 

All in all, a good race for my 100th and I’m pleased that milestone is now out of the way. 

A pic maybe 100m from the finish. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's not many loos at all - there were many more than that for the Westminster Mile! (As I was in the first wave, I experienced the novelty of peeing in a pristine, as yet unused portaloo. First time for everything eh?)
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - What a fabulous achievement. You must be so pleased, especially with a good time. Great you were able to see OH and Tigg a couple of times too. How long are you staying in Belfast? Presumably you are already planning for the next 100😁?

Cal - That sounds like a fun race. No idea how I’d pace a mile. You’re doing vitality 10k tomorrow presumably?

6 miles this evening. HR looking good. A lot more to racing than just that but aerobically at least I’m feeling as good as I did pre injury last year. Knee was a bit grumbly at the start but settled down. 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Massive congratulations on an amazing achievement, well deserved after the last couple of years.How many actual marathons have you done?
    7 miles today,pretty slow but to be expected,effort was in the right place though.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes...got a place for a tenner. Be rude not to.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - huge congratulations, that's a smile of relief in the photo.   You can relax now and make your plans, running and non running without the pressure of the when/if of the 100.

It's a different political world in Belfast and very interesting.   First time I did Belfast the Real IRA were holding a silent protest on the route, so we all dutifully read the placards, we didn't know what else to do.

Ian - oh dear, another couple of days off then.  ;)

Cal - well done, great mile time.   6 miles tomorrow at that pace and you'll have a very good PB  ;)

400th marathon completed today at North Dorset Village Marathon, also my 500th race over all distances.

Early start, left at 5:30 and the deer were out grazing at the top of Telegraph Hill, always makes me nervous seeing them so close to the road while we're driving past at 70mph but they seem unfazed.    Could see that quite a few are about to give birth, looking very pregnant.   

Arrived in good time and met up with a few running friends, nice to catch up.
    Race starts at 8:30, it was cool, probably perfect for most, a little too cool for me, but no wind so it wasn't unpleasant.   It rained for the whole of the race, but the rain was light and although it didn't stop we didn't get wet at all, quite weird but pleasant.   But there were puddles on the road for the last few miles.    I had a really good run to about 16 miles then started to find it harder so slowed a fair bit in the 2nd half especially the last 2km which is off road and felt quite stony and uncomfortable to my feet.   Finished in 5:09.   Lovely course, lush countryside and gorgeous chocolate box cottages.   Very friendly race, lots of banter on the way round with other runners.   Nice dayglo t-shirt, medal and delicious hog roast at the finish.

Big G - I caught up with the girl wearing race number 100, we had a chat, she was indeed doing her 100th marathon today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, thanks.  I’ve done 46 road marathons, 51 trail marathons (although many of these are on good footpaths), and 3 ultras (2 road, 1 trail)

Rcouture, we are going up to the north coast tomorrow and staying up around there for 2 nights. We have a slot to see Giants Causeway tomorrow and as we are NT members and it is managed by them, it seemed rude not to. It’s strange about future plans. Anything can change but I don’t think I’ll be ‘chasing numbers’ so much, which as it stands means I think I’ll do far less of the smaller events.  Things can change but as it stands I want to get fit again and get back into PB shape, although that will take some time. It doesn’t mean that I won’t do marathons on consecutive weekends, but I think they will mainly be bigger events if I do that. I don’t think I’ll overly miss having to go up and down those blasted paths in Plymouth and Exmouth, for example!  I did 31 one year and I can’t see me troubling that in the foreseeable future. Who knows though. 

Shades, well done. I did drop Ines a message saying that I had made it to Belfast, but thanked her for keeping me a place if I needed it. It is a nice course, that one. Yes, as you know, it can be a bit all consuming if you let it, which I have especially in the last 3 or 4 weeks, as they have been pretty stressful with Dad, P&O and the injuries etc. But I am glad I made it out here. Even this morning I was a bag of nerves - I knew the loos were an issue, but with the lack of training recently I was worried about how to pace it etc, as well as still trying to enjoy it!  

Cal, yeah, far too few toilets. That’s the only thing I’d change really. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - do you count Plym Trail as road or trail?    It's subjective really, I count mine by the running surface so Plym Trail and RED are road to me.

Incidentally there were twice as many portaloos at NDVM than usual, so even at 8:15 queue was only 5 minutes.   At least you were warned about the lack of toilets at the start at Belfast, so knew what to expect, doesn't stop you wanting to go though  ;)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 100 Big G, you did well to rinish that one given your recent mileage. Hopefully you can get back to it properly now.

Well done on the 400 and 500 shades, very impressive.

I dropped out of Brighton at 1/2 way as i was unwell (shouldnt have started in retrospect), think i had a touch of CV although i was passing LFTs. I knew i too had a NDVM number in reserve so saved my powder, although im still not 100% so didn't start today.
    Im looking at Kempton in 4 wks as it will apparantly count for gfa, but not ideal as its loads of zig zagging about. Shame theres no Yeovil in June.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - yeh, was lamenting the absence of Yeovil marathon to a running friend today.

Sorry to hear you had to stop at Brighton, not having recovered fully from Covid.

Rcouture on here ran Kempton last year, he can maybe help re how the laps work, he had a good run there.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Yes, i liked Yeovil.....oooh thanks, im all ears........its been changed to 4 laps, but theres lots of zig zagging within each lap.
  • Options
    Cal well done on the mile! Enjoy the run tomorrow, rude not to take advantage at £10! Then MK marathon on Monday? 

Big G congratulations on your achievement, had a read of your 2010 blog after London, you didn’t seem too keen on another marathon at the time. It won’t be too long till you’re back in PB shape, shame these last few weeks have been so stressful and full of niggles! 

Shades well done today and congratulations on the milestones, big roast at the end sounds fantastic! Maybe not so much for the vegetarians.

Got dragged round the garden centre this afternoon looking for plants for the garden, was hoping for a lazy afternoon in front of the TV.  39 miles the week after Dorney probably be a rest day tomorrow. 

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    TR - When I did Kempton it was 8 laps and included a couple of zigzags already so I’d imagine it’d be all over the place with half that many laps. Ex that It was my first marathon of 2 so am hardly experienced but the organisation seemed good to me including ample parking right on site and well manned aid stations (2 a lap essentially). The bits I didn’t like were largely Covid related at the time so not meaningful now. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thanks. It says 4 laps but that includes going back on itself a lot. Will be pancake flat, but all the corners coukd be wearing late on. Will aim to build into it and push on last lap. Potential to be warm too but 8.30am start will help.