Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of DD,my daughter is on a cycling weekend and staying in Bovey Tracey,yesterday they did 45 miles and included quite a bit of the DD course.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Lovely trophy, Big G - how nice of your club.
    Sorry for the lack of posting and comments - been a little busy with other stuff (my tenant's given notice, amongst other things...but this is actually great news as prospective tenants have been making offers to replace her and I should get a few hundred a month more from August).

Anyway, Thursday was a rest/walk/weight training day; Friday was another slow 6 miles which Strava, annoyingly, described as harder than my usual effort (I think Strava must compare it to all my other activities including walks and yoga, rather than just my runs. Anyway, never mind that). 
    Yesterday, a clubmate had borrowed his mum's little car for the weekend so offered to drive to a hard to get to parkrun with another couple of his friends. He picked Bedgebury Pinetum, which is a lovely conifer plantation out in Kent (with some other stuff there - there's a Go Ape and various carved Gruffalo statues). Nice and scenic with good (firm gravelly) trails, but definitely not flat. The course resembles a deflated balloon on a zig/zag string...you start on a downhill (6-7%) before rounding a bend and then running uphill until you get to the "balloon" bit. Then it levels out (ish) before going back down the "string" part to the finish. Unfortunately, that also means a punishing uphill finish. I thought I'd paced myself well - not too hard - before I got  to that bit, but my lungs and legs just didn't have anything in them. I finished in 28:49 so at least it was under 29 minutes.
    Hams were OK until I got back into the back seat of the little car (it was a Smart Car) for the journey home - righty ham tendon ached horribly. Still, it recovered OK once I got home, so no damage done.
    Today I decided on a 10 miler (I didn't want to go too long as I've got the next Wimbledon trail race on Wednesday, plus a 5K race on Friday) so ran down to Battersea Park, along the river, back through Wandsworth and King George's Park to Earlsfield then home via Wandsworth Common. Conditions were perfect - clear and sunny but with a nice cool breeze, so I was able to up the pace a little to the faster end of my easy range. Body didn't feel too bad at all. Enjoyed this run. 33 miles for the week so getting back to it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's good news on your training stats.

I hope your daughter is suitably impressed with your hill running skills now she's experienced part of DD course.

Big G - I think late entries or entries by transfer could stand a hefty price hike of the entry fee.   Say entries after 1st March an extra tenner.   Would help cover all the extra commission fees from the entry system for transfers.   IMHO DD is good value for a race.

Robert - that doesn't sound too bad, and a variety helps with any monotony of a timed event.

8 miles favourite hilly route today, same route as I wrecked my ankle on 2 weeks ago.   But the roads were dry and no debris on the road, only a dismembered pigeon 🤮   Another lovely morning, first time I've done any hills since hurting my ankle and it was OK except on the longer downhills when I could start to feel it, they weren't as steep as DD hills but I still have 13 days.   I'll have to see how Cork goes first.

I might go to the gym later as I'm grounded tomorrow morning, having a smart meter fitted.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Cal - that's good news on the change of tenants and more income for you, worth the hassle.

Nice to see you're getting back into your training now, hope all the aches and pains are clearing up too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, rents have gone up ridiculously, even down here.

Shades, yeah, something like that would be a good way of doing it. As you say, it’s a good value race. Club races tend to be, don’t they. 

I went to the gym this morning and did lower body. I’ve found the level today, where I did 3x10 reps on each machine, and the last couple of reps on the 3rd set began to feel hard, but keeping my form etc. We’ll see if I see any improvements. 

I found on YouTube a stretch routine for runners, and I’m unbelievably crap. Can’t even get into the start position of some of them!  So, on the same channel, I’ve found a flexibility routine for total beginners and I’m going to incorporate that, as I can at least do the exercises. I’m embarrassingly bad, but I’m on it now, and it’ll be interesting to see if I notice any difference over the coming weeks. 

I’m probably going to show myself up here, but is there anything in what I’m about to say?  Is it feasible/realistic to increase stride length over time by 1cm, and keeping roughly the same cadence?  This is all very approximate but I did about 34000 strides at Seville, so if I can do 1cm per stride more, that’s 340m, which is probably about 90secs or so.  Is there any logic in this? 
     Is 1cm feasible?  2cm?

Last day of the Giro today and I’ve really enjoyed it. They were in the Dolomites yesterday and it was stunning again. When I was there I didn’t get a chance to see a stage, which was a shame. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Suppose you'd have to watch for over striding or changing your gait.
    Shades-She rode down the hill into Ashburton that we run/walk up, and did the long road from Postbridge to the finish,also seen she went to Widdicombe so definitely some hills involved.
    If anyone is after Next %2,I have just got a pair off Keller Sports for £137,I'm a premium member so got 10% then May2022,gives another 10% off.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I agree, club races are usually great value.   Can't remember what I paid for Tavy 13, about £12 or thereabouts I think.   

Good you're starting to find your 'work' level in the gym.   That's a sensible approach re flexibility, just starting at the basics.   

Re stride length, yes it's possible but the stride length should only be increased by improvement in power/strength not by just deliberately taking longer strides.  Increase cadence first and then if you have improved your power you will probably settle into a longer stride and your cadence will find a comfortable level too.   Lots and lots of work on glutes/hamstrings etc  :'(  and power up the glutes when you run.

I still have yesterday's Giro highlights to watch, it's been a great race.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, today’s time trial on the final stage is in Verona, and we stayed there for a couple of nights before going to the Dolomites. I love Rome, and Verona was kind of a smaller version of that, with an amphitheatre etc. I remember checking at the time, and Verona does have a marathon :)  Looking forward to seeing if I recognise any of it on TV today. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Cal - Great running. Rentals are insane at the moment so that’s nice timing. What 5k are you doing?

Big G - Good that you’re getting into the swing of things on the flexibility/gym. I’ve mainly stuck to routines physios have given me but I could probably do with a sniff around YouTube at some point. 

Shades - Nice 8 miles, less nice on the poor pigeon. 

Ian - How does one become a premium member, time presumably? Not used them before. 

8 miles earlier. Legs felt very heavy due to first weights session since Copenhagen the day before yesterday. All good otherwise.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Rcouture-I paid about £7 I think the first time I used them to become premium as it still worked out cheaper, get 10% off most things, also free shipping and returns and sometimes you can double discount like this one.
    On the PC the prices seem dearer than on the phone,I think its because I'm logged in as premium on the phone,when you log in as premium the black and purple end up as £137.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Bigger picture than I thought,but you get another 10% off the list price with the offer.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Thanks for that. Will have a look when I’ve got a minute, would be a shame not to at that price really. 
  • Options
    Cal good news on the remnants, know you were concerned about asking for more, seems to work out well. Well done on another venue and nice 10 miles

Big G I’m not the only one who sits watching tv and looking for places I’ve ran before? I’m not a fan of stretches either, should do some as maybe I’d be less crap.

shades well done on the 8 miles, when do you leave for cork? 

Rconture nice 8 miles seems to be a popular distance today.

8.5 miles for me this afternoon, legs felt a bit heavier than normal.  36 miles for the week with midweek race, handicap and parkrun enjoyed varying the pace instead of plodding. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - you're getting some decent training in fairly consistently now.  It will reap its rewards when you're sprinting up those hills in Poland.

I don't want to be always refering to the good old days but...

.. when Plymouth airport was open there was a daily flight to Cork.  Car parking was outside the door of the terminal, closer parking than if you were at Tesco's.  Check in was 30 minutes before departure time, I think the parking was free too.
    But the airport closed several years ago.   Then there was a daily flight from Bristol.  I was hoping that flight would be reinstated after the pandemic, but not yet.
    Options are limited, there's a Ryanair flight from Birmingham but I think it would only be at gunpoint that I would ever fly with Ryanair again.   Plus as it's Jubilee weekend the drive to Birmingham which is usually 3 hours would likely be nearer to 6 hours.  So it's coach to Heathrow, for years the earliest used to leave at 5:30 that's changed to 8:30 so again with Jubilee traffic, likely to be some delays and if airport is busy, possibility of missing flight.   So I'm leaving Thursday, staying the night at Heathrow and flying over on Friday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - a Runthrough one in the Olympic Park. Nice Jubilee themed medal. (There's also a 10K but it's a four lap circuit for that and last time I did it I lost the will to live.  :D)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good idea to leave early,hope everything goes well.
    Rob-36 is a good number for the week.
    14 today brought up just over 40 the week,I only planned 12 but was feeling good so did an extra lap of the park.
    38 was planned so slightly ahead of plan and 2 x exercise sessions done.
  • Options
    Ian great week, good signs being able to tag another 2 miles on.

Cal i remember doing a 4 lap 10k at QEOP with runthrough never again! 

Shades blimey, not taking any chances with traffic then! I’m fortunate with stansted and Luton airports about 20 miles away but no direct transport links. Unfortunately I’m flying with Ryanair for Poland but I can be 3 days late on both flights so should make it somehow. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There was a big fire yesterday in Torquay harbour, which means one of regular routes is not passable. I very often run to the end of the pier that is behind this boat, but it’s closed, for good reason!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you're definitely over Covid now as you're feeling you can run further.  Keep up with the strength sessions too.

Robert - although it seems a lot of faff, the coach and hotel at Heathrow is cheaper than the petrol if I drove to Bristol airport and paid airport parking.   National Express are also expecting some delays as have extended journey time for travel to airport.   Only negative is that my coach home has been altered to a later departure time, I expect that's a shortage of staff, I don't know.   

I did look at flying from Exeter, which is 14 miles from home, to Dublin.   Then travel down to Cork by coach, travelling back up to Dublin on the Monday.   That was a good plan until I found there was no flight home on the Tuesday.   :#

That's the major negative of living down here is limited travel options when wanting to fly anywhere.   Even more limited since the pandemic and now that fares will probably double in the next few months unlikely more destinations will be introduced.

Big G - was that your superyacht?

Rest day for me today.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the fire made international news as it was pointed out that it was on the news in Australia. Last I saw was that the cause was unexplained. Although I lived in Plymouth for a while, I never flew from there. Didn’t have enough money for trips away back then!

Just done my stretches, which I’m going to try and do most days. It’s only 15-20mins. Will head off to the gym soon for upper body, which I’m not as good at, so don’t enjoy as much!  Zwift later. 

Had a really good day yesterday with the PF, and it feels good this morning (it is often worse first thing). I wore the splint last night and I’m not pulling it up as much, so although there’s possibly not quite as much benefit with it a bit looser it does mean I can sleep properly, and I slept well last night. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Plymouth was a lovely little airport.   I worked a few years for a company that had an Irish branch of the business with an office in Co Cork so it was very useful.   My job didn't entail travelling but when they had a crisis I was sent to Cork for a week to sort things out, was like a week's holiday for me, city centre hotel, company car, all in one of my favourite places. 
    Whenever flying back to Plymouth the cabin staff would come round and ask if you'd like a taxi booked to meet the plane.

I don't like doing upper body routine either.   I do try to alternate upper and lower body.

Fingers crossed re the PF.
  • Options
    Shades Just seen easyjet and Tui cancelling a fair few flights, seems after laying off staff they are struggling to recruit.  I'm not surprised, having worked in travel industry your blindfolded into thinking it's a great work life situation.  I'm sure those who have left have found better lives outside.

Big G Good news on the morning pf, thats when it was worse for me, it's an awful feeling waking up and not being able to walk properly.

I feel I haven't travelled much recently, I've only been on a plane for one trip in the last 7 years.  Rest day today, haven't really given much thought to this week as got it off work to get my uni assignment due in on the 7th.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    My sister was in Paris for the football this weekend,and went via Milan for a reasonable price,her flight from Paris to Milan was cancelled at the airport so I spent an or hour so yesterday getting her home,ended up coming via Ibiza.Easyjet were useless and just said we'll try and get you a hotel as there were no other flights that day.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I saw that about Tui and easyJet cancelling flights over the past few days.

I thought you and Elle had a holiday away more often.  No wonder that your holiday next year is so important to you.

When I was working I would go to Ireland up to eight times a year for races.  Have even taken my car over for 8 days and done an ultra and marathon on following weekends.   I used to run in the Marathon Club Ireland colours, lovely club.   Only dropped my membership when I stopped work and a much tighter budget.

There are still quite a few races in Ireland on my wish list plus those I want to do again of course.

Ian - what a nightmare for your sister.   I'd have taken the hotel but that's no good if she needed to be back at work today.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    7 miles today,I'll probably take tomorrow off even though I'm on a day off as I've ran 5 out of 6 days.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - has your achilles settled down now?

6 miles this morning, fresh, bit chilly for this time of year.

Gym later.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It has settled a lot,I can still feel it in the morning,but eases once I get going.At least once a day I'm doing all the self care on it so hoping it makes it go quicker.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's good Ian, no aftereffects of the 5k race to interrupt your training.

Right off to the gym and to get some euros.   So long since I've bought euros I had to think hard about where to get them  :o
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No just took the day after off,I've managed to run 4 times a week for the last 2 weeks which I haven't done for a long time,hoping for 2 more 40ish mile weeks then that's a solid 4 weeks to build on.