Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad it's proving relatively stress-free, Shades. Hope there are no issues with the flight.

Hope you feel better soon, Rcouture. Kids are terrible for germs - when I was teaching I was sick all the time. Rather glad I got out of that before the pandemic hit.

Ian, sounds like a good run.

Today was the Runthrough Jubilee 5K at the Olympic Park (there was also a 10K, but four laps of that course made me lose the will to live when I tried it before, so there was no way I was doing that again, and not two days after the Wimbledon race).
    Anyway, I didn't get there quite early enough to do my customary 1 mile warm-up job so I just settled for some skips and strides. Legs felt tired. Guess I should have seen that coming after Wednesday...that and it felt hot to me (17 degrees apparently, but it was very warm in the sun). I'd hoped I might get back under 27 minutes but that proved to be a vain hope (I ran 27:42 in the end). I wore my strap and HR was in the 180s for most of it so I don't think I could have pushed much harder. Didn't feel like I wanted to, either.
    Oh well. Got the nice medal and Runthrough's legendary flapjack so I'll count it as a win.
    I've got more races next week...a relay in Richmond Park on Wednesday night (still figuring out how to get there) and then I signed up for the Dorking 10 mile on the Sunday. I don't know what I was thinking. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done, Cal. That’s the trouble with online entries - a few clicks and you’re in the race, and it always feels a good idea at the time :) 

Gym for me earlier, but no Zwifting today. Hopefully I’ll get on there tomorrow. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Glad everything went well at the airport.
    Cal-I've decided to enter my local 10k next Sunday,only reason we're doing it as its walking distance and we try and do ot each year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I didn't realise your next race was today, I thought it was the weekend.  So that's a bit soon after the Wednesday race for the legs.   I can vouch that the sun felt really hot this morning in London. 😎

I wasn't able to get out for a run this morning.   My airport hotel was great but right at the entry to T4, most of the nearby roads had no pavement and/or no entry to pedestrians.  So decided not to risk getting run over or arrested, or both, a security car patrols the area.

Flight on time and I'm now in Cork.  Got a taxi from airport as couldn't face dragging my bag up the hill to the hotel.   Hotel is lovely, sort of oldish and grand but very comfortable.   Should be very quiet, a godsend in Ireland where they party hard on bank holiday weekends.  Room is huge. Balcony and espresso machine which I haven't tried yet.

View from balcony.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice view, Shades...glad you made it there safely!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Glad you got there okay, Shades :) 
  • Shades glad you made it safely, nice view from the room! 

Ian well done on the 14 

rcouture hope your feeling well, does make me chuckle we all verify if your illness is covid or not these day

Cal you seem busy with races at the moment! I’ve quite enjoyed doing a few races recently just to mix it up.

Enjoyed the event today, i hadn’t given it much thought about running.  Laps of 5.3km, 8 for the marathon.  Race number pick up was simple, got there a bit later than planned so didn’t have long to wait around.  They drew a raffle at the start from all the runners and my number was picked to win a free race entry.

the laps were scenic, starting with a small climb, mainly trail but was dry, past lakes, ponds plenty of shade which was nice.   Company called zig zag runs and this race lives up to their name as we weaved around the course.

Aid station was the only let down, big tub of haribo which can only imagine a fair bit of sweat in that, packs of crisps and melted chocolate bars.  

Decided at the half I’d only be doing the marathon distance, the course was scenic but was getting bored. Finished in 4:35:18 which pretty happy about and finished feeling fairly strong. 

The medal is decent quality with a nice tab for the distance.  Good coffee from tassimo machines and decent cake from Costco to finish, had a sit down to clap other runners in before heading home.

Car park marshal and tail walking at westmill tomorrow .

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's a decent result on that course.   Don't blame you for being happy to stop at marathon distance, so hard to want to continue on a 6 hour challenge event.

Congrats on winning a free race entry, you'll have to do another one now.

Enjoy the marshalling today.

We've had a little rain, nothing much.  Won't affect my day as off to collect my number and goody bag then shopping, running shops too.

Last night, not late, I could hear a helicopter and could see from my balcony an incident on the quay, police and a crane.  A car had driven into the river, 2 children freed themselves from the car but I see from the news this morning that a woman has sadly died.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/cork-city-rescue-live-gardai-27143884.amp

There are no remaining Covid restrictions here, same as at home.   But the hotel have retained their 'breakfast booking' procedure, this might be a staffing issue as here there are more jobs than willing workers.  So I'm booked in for first slot at 8 am.  Have mentioned early breakfast for tomorrow but not sorted yet, I expect there be more runners arriving today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Robert.  Are they a fairly new company?  I’ve seen them come up a couple of times recently?

Shades, have a good day today :) 

Marshalling today at Torbay parkrun. Weather forecast is fairly heavy rain, but it’s dry at the moment. Gym after, most probably. 
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Rob - Great outing and report. I did have a bit of a gag at the sweaty haribo mind 🤢. 

Big G - Enjoy the marshalling. 

Shades - Good luck! That’s an awful story re the drowning. Staffing a global issue at the moment. 

4 miles for me in the new forest along a river. Lovely run though still feeling rough from the back end of this bug. Had a cycle yesterday for a few miles but didn’t get very far as the girls wanted to stop for horse watching/running about fairly constantly.
  • Big G - Zig Zag are about 2 years old so fairly new.  Hope the rain stayed away whilst marshalling.

Shades- sounds like an awful incident yesterday, enjoy today and have a great race tomorrow.

legs weren't too bad this morning, didn't have to do too much running, wishing I decided to run instead to stretch the legs.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I can see that when I get home I'm going to have to up my game when it comes to gym attendance, you're putting us all to shame.    ;). I have peeked through the window of the hotel gym, that's it for me today. 🙂

Picked my number and then as usual in Ireland ended up talking for ages to other runners and also the lady on the CBD stand.  We have a free sample bottle of CBD drops in the goody bag, something new to try. 😕
    Been around the shops, tried on a pair of NB Congo V5 which were on my wish list, but not now I've tried them on, too stable for me.  Didn't see any NB 1080's to try on.
    I did get a bargain at the Expo, 2 compression tops, one long sleeve, one short sleeve, reduced from 50 euro to 5 euro each.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob I had no idea you were doing that until it popped up on Strava. Well done! I would not have enjoyed all those laps...fair play.
    Shades, that's sad...at least the kids got out. I've always wanted to try CBD but it's pricey. Bargain on the tops, too.
    Hope parkrun wasn't too windy, Big G!

My choice for today was Upton Court in Slough. Partly because I needed a U for my parkrun alphabet, but I also felt the fact it has a view of Windsor Castle to be fitting this weekend. The park itself is a fairly plain green field with Slough rugby club in one corner, and a line of trees. However, there were some gorgeous wildflower sections (poppies and some other flowers) on the first part of the course.

I opted to run from the station (it's about 1.3 miles but I ran a bit extra around the park as I was early, so I did 2), then (after a little wait...the rugby club is open to drop bags, pee, have a drink etc) the parkrun itself. It's a two lap course with the first lap a little bigger than the second. I'd say two thirds is grass and one third on hard path, but it's firm grass so I was OK with my road shoes. I pushed a little but not to the point where my breathing sounds like someone sawing through a log...I have had two races already this week, after all. But as it turned out, I ran a very similar time to yesterday: 27:39 (it was cooler and slightly drizzly with a breeze, which made it more comfortable than yesterday so I was a couple of seconds faster despite the grass). 
    Once I'd got scanned and whatnot, I jogged back to the station (1.3 miles) and got the train home again. 

• cal - having a look at the diary, possibilities for Jersey Farm are 18th/ 25th June, 16th/23rd/ 30th July any you can or can't do?  Well done on another venue today!  I'm on 92 parkruns and only 8 venues, Looking at JF and Bushy for my 99th.  May incorporate my 50th volunteering (currently 46) 50th Westmill (done 48) and my 100th parkrun together.  See how the next few weeks pan out

Shades great bargain on the tops! Looking at the gym is good enough when you're on 'holiday'.  Always a nice thought when booking but never use them.

Had a look possibilities for my free race entry, they have a few venues but all 5km laps!!!! They do have a track marathon at Wodson (where WJ meet) but it's the week before my November 50 miler.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    18th is my birthday weekend...I was supposed to be going to Manchester but it rather depends on the train strike situation (then again, I guess so does coming up to do JF). I'll keep you posted... 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Well done on getting it done.
    Shades-Have a great race tomorrow,hope it all goes well.
    7.5m after work around my old hilly loop,just the 1 loop today,definitely feeling like I'm getting fitter now,all numbers pointing in the right direction,just waiting for the bump in pace to happen.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to Keith tomorrow too at Solway marathon.

Ian - the bump will happen, early days yet.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck Shades & Keith :) 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Keith-Good luck,weather looks better than when we did it.
    Shades-I know it will come,just have to keep at it,this will be my 3rd week between 36 and 40 miles,1 more then I can step it up a bit more.
  • Lol er i beg to differ it gonna be a tad breezy on the coast today :p Less direct sun though. Technically this is a different one as there are now two over there. This one is two laps of the coastal 'island' bit around the antenna farm on the roads. The one we did Ian was same day as Windermere instead of July.
  • Good luck Keith and Shades.

Ian the bump in pace will happen, it takes time.  Although I have a long way to go to get back closer to where I was 4 years ago, you need to reflect on how you're improving week on week, how you feel better doing certain runs compared to a few weeks ago.

Cal no rush to decide on JF.

Awful weather here, not good for anyone having street parties today. My next 50 hours are made up on sleeping and finishing this poxy uni assignment! Must stop procrastinating....
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I avoided the rain yesterday whilst marshalling, which was fortunate. Within 5 mins of me stepping through the front door at home after the event, the heavy rain came. 

There is a tracker on the Cork site, and Shades has made a good start :) 

No gym for me today but I did a tough Zwift race this morning - and won it!  Trouble is, I’ll be promoted to the next category soon, and when that happens I’ll no longer win - if anything I’ll be spat out the back of the group as soon as a hill appears. But I’ll take the win for now :) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Big_G said:

There is a tracker on the Cork site, and Shades has made a good start :) 

Unfortunately it didn't last, as you'll have seen.  At 5 miles I started to get discomfort in my ankle and at 7 miles it started to affect my running.   I realised then that I'm not going to make DD start line so decided to slog it out to the finish.   Had I been running a small local race I think I would have pulled up.  So quite painful doing run/walk to the finish. My knee is a bit sore and the calf on the other leg, probably from trying to protect the ankle.  Finished in 5:30, it really is a lovely course, glad I stuck it out to the end, although it was tough.

Off for a roast beef lunch now 😋
  • Keith M StuartKeith M Stuart ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I too had a off day.
    Def a tad breezy as i said with headwind first 4 miles the same 12.5 miles later and again for the last mile odd to the finish. Unsure why but 9-10 miles in was suffering from lack of energy potentially cos i was going 9:45 for first 7 miles or so despite the headwind so maybe a tad too much effort but dont think it was that. Plenty of walking and legs were aching doing that so i guess maybe not fully recovered from my bout of illness. Could also be cos i dug bike out during week and did 5 mile friday and 10 yesterday. I didn't even bother running to finish and both calfs are a tad achy right now. Tis fine i'll roll into shower once i have demolished a large pizza then see how i feel later. Time was 5:29:18 on my watch.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Keith.  Sorry to hear you had a tough day too, but another one successfully completed.

I've pencilled the race you did today in my race diary for next year, the permit application is already on RunBritain website.

We had rain on and off which wasn't really a problem but the humidity was a problem, in the 90's for most of the race.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it was a tough day at the office for both of you. :( Well done for getting it done though!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh Shades, I'm sorry you're suffering. I guess you'll need a few days off now eh? 
    Sorry to hear your race wasn't great either, Keith. 

I guess it's just as well I wasn't racing as I've had a dreadful day too! I guess I am paying for doing two races and a parkrun in four days - felt like utter crap this morning, just groggy and tired. I usually go out early, especially on Sunday as it's normally my longest run of the week, but I decided to eat breakfast and go out just before 10 to see if that helped. It didn't. I shuffled for four miles and decided that was enough. Been feeling slightly wheezy, actually...never been diagnosed with asthma but I'm wondering if I've developed it in my old age, or if I'm just run down and tired. Hoping I feel better tomorrow.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Sorry it didn't go to plan for you both,well done on toughing it out and finishing though.
    7 miles after work, got absolutely drenched,started light and got heavier for the whole hour,I was soaked at the end.
    44 miles for the week though is another good week,similar next week with a 10k on Sunday then hopefully step it up the week after.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Good effort grinding it out and fingers crossed the ankle hasn’t been overly damaged longer term

Keith - Well done 

Cal - 2 races and a parkrun sounds quite brutal in 4 days. Do you get allergies? 

Ian - Seems like you’re motoring. What kind of mileage are you hoping to get to?

10 miles for me this afternoon after driving back. Still feeling a bit dodgy from this bug but think I’m at the end of it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Glad you're feeling better.
    When I wrote it I was averaging 48(think) and topping around 60,but I'm slightly ahead the last 2 weeks so may be able to average 50+,I'm just being a bit wary for the first 4 weeks or so.