Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry to hear you were feeling rough yesterday.   If you've dismissed Covid it could be hay fever.   It's possible to develop hay fever at any time of life and this is the time of year that many suffer, grass now?🤧

Ian - I'm pleased your training is going so well.  🙂

Rcouture - glad you're over that bug.

I had a huge early dinner yesterday, the hotel food is gorgeous.  Then a decent night's sleep for me, especially as I don't usually sleep well after a marathon.
    This morning my foot although still a bit sore, the swelling that I had post race has completely gone.   But no recovery run this morning, instead I'm sitting up in bed cutting the kinesiology tape to size ready to re-strap my foot.  Calf feels better but there is a sore spot there.  

Travelling home today.
  • Ian great mileage for the week!

Keith well done for seeing the race through

Shades hope you have a safe trip home, sounds like a nice trip other than the race, hope you recover well.

Big G we got rain after parkrun too, stopped any ideas of a picnic we had planned for 'thank you day' celebrations.

rcouture hope thats the back of the bug.

Cal I've noticed a bit more racing has made my legs feel bluh, 3 in 4 days is going some. 

I've suffered with hay fever too last few days, I got awful puffy eyed race photos from Friday's run.  About 400 words left on my uni assignment then thats another course done and a dreaded 6 week wait for the result.  May try and head out for a run later this evening to clear the head before a final read and submit.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Shades - Good news the foot doesn’t look too bad. You do seem to enjoy your food on your trips, I’m very much the same…Safe travels back. 

Presumably folks here have done Paris? Probably top choice for next year’s spring mara (if can get OH to move holiday she’s booked 😬). That and Manchester. 

Rest day for me. Chomping at the bit but ramping up slowly. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I’ve not done Paris or any French races as yet. Probably you know, but you’ll need a medical certificate for it. 

Robert/Cal, I also from hayfever. So far the worst symptom for me has been a scratchy throat. 

Ian, great mileage. Looking like a good base to build on. 

Gym this morning for me for upper body and then 90mins on Zwift this afternoon. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shade-No recovery run? Tut tut  :wink:
    Rcouture-I haven't done it but it's on my list,I've put myself on the waiting list for next April,think the next release is September so bit of time to decide.I was actually thinking yesterday it's nearly time to look at next years calendar.
    Usual 7 after work today,nothing to report,all nice and simple,except some kids rode up to me on bikes,presumed I was getting the run forest shout,but instead 1 gave me a fist bump and said well done  :) I must have looked really crap and he wanted to encourage me.
    Hoping to do my longer run tomorrow as I'm racing a 10k on Sunday,no resting for it though so will see what happens.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - funny, although I had a really tough race, the official race photos are definitely the best that I've had for a very long time.  I did a fair bit of walking and amazingly all photos are of me running and I don't look in pain, doesn't show on my face.  Still not buying them though ☺️

Rcouture - marathon runners are usually very good eaters 😋

I haven't done Paris, the medical certificate puts me off doing a French race.

Big G - how's the PF, any improvement?

Ian - you know I would never shirk a recovery run unless essential 😉

No need to taper for shorter races when marathon training.  You'll be fine.

Long wait for luggage at Heathrow.  Earlier coach than mine was delayed by traffic and I tried to get that one instead of scheduled one but unfortunately was full.  Never mind.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ve been trying to stay off my feet as much as possible, which isn’t especially easy as I’m pretty busy on a flat at the moment. On days when I’ve been able to stay off my feet a bit more, it does feel better but when I massage it quite hard I can still feel it.  I feel I’m trying everything but I’m still a bit nervous that it’s hanging around.  Wednesday will be 2 weeks without running at all, so I’ll see how it is Thursday before deciding what to do.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Big G - I expect working on the flat is quite demanding on the foot, but you can't sit around and do nothing.   It just felt like it was longer than 2 weeks since you last ran.

Do you know where you're marshalling on Saturday?

Late home, but our coach only had 6 people on it and made good time except J23 Bridgwater was closed for roadworks and we had to laboriously drive through Bridgwater, a convoy of lorries and a few cars added on a bit of travel time.  Can't go to bed straight away when I get home and then when I did I slept badly and woke usual time 4:30.   Never mind, lazy day today, domestic stuff.   Ankle feels a lot better will be able to run tomorrow.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’m just past Buckland at around 18 miles, at a cattle grid. If weather is ok, OH and Tigg are coming and I’ll go up in the van as I asked for a suitable place that would be ok in the van. Speaking of which, it’s its MOT today. 

1hr on Zwift this morning, and had no problems. Going for a shortish walk around Parke today, so I’ll see how the foot holds up. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Big G - I know the spot you'll be on DD at 18 miles.  Nice for a picnic there, as long as the weather's good, which it should be.

I think my race on Sunday was so difficult for me as I had to realise that I wasn't going to be able to have a go at DD.  😭😭😭😭

Anyway I'm over that disappointment now and looking ahead.   I shan't enter DD again unless I am running as well as I was at the start of lockdown and I'll pick up a transfer place.  I have races I want to do in Ireland too around that time of year.   Nothing entered over the summer, can't face the RED event, too many out and backs.   Will probably do Stur Half and perhaps Plym Trail, not sure.

Cork have just offered an early bird price too and it is a great marathon.   I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good time.   According to my Garmin climb was 616ft, closed roads, road closures  and crossings manned by the Garda. Plenty of space to run, no congestion, lovely varied course.  Winner set a new course record of 2:18.  The half which starts later and is run on the second half of the marathon course was won in 1:04.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I can imagine the fact that it had dawned on you that DD may not happen made Cork harder. It’s a real shame about it for you as I know you introduced training at the gym and have been focussed on DD for 2-3 years making it a goal to make the cut offs. You were in decent shape weren’t you, prior to 2020’s cancellation?  Great to read you’ve got some other goals and races you’re looking forward to though. 

Wasn’t expecting any issues but the van passed with no problems, which is good. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes it did make my marathon on Sunday much harder.
    I was in great shape had we been able to run DD in 2020, was training a minute a mile faster with ease.
    But you know me, I just move on and rewrite the goals.  😃

Great news on the MOT.  Incidentally I saw derv at 1.99 per litre at the motorway services last night. 😮
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - I’m sorry for your DD plans, didn’t realise that was such a focus of your broader training. I’m sure you’ll be back to 2020 fitness as these niggles settle. 

Unfortunately for next spring we can’t move hols and it’s half term anyway for the girls so not flexible on dates so think Paris or Manchester are no-gos. Barcelona in March looks the best option. 

7 miles this afternoon. Roasting and humid out 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Do you have anything booked for the Autumn yet?
    4 of us entered DD and none have made the start line.
    Rcouture-I am sure you'll love Barca,its on my list to do again,also easy to arrange multiple viewing spots and see sights at the same time.
    Big G-Glad it passed,even when we expect no issues an MOT is one of those that can hit with a hefty bill.
    Just under 14 today,beast of a hill around 10 miles,but other than that a nice run,pretty hot out.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Nice 14. How is the Barca course? Should be good temps at that time as well versus the May event. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - It's not that likely that I'll get back to 2020 fitness, I was running faster than I had for years, but I'll have a go.   :)

Barcelona will be a good choice.   You could do another one in late April or May too, there's quite a few to choose from in the spring.

Ian - not a great show from us at DD.   Never mind these things happen.

Is it this week you're increasing the weekly mileage?

Yes, a few planned for autumn.   I'd like another one in September and another in October but haven't found anything suitable yet.
    25-Sep-22 BARNSTAPLE MARATHON
    16-Oct-22 CHELMSFORD
    23-Oct-22 NEWPORT
    30-Oct-22 DUBLIN
    06-Nov-22 CORNISH
    13-Nov-22 STARCROSS SHUFFLE

My ankle was a bit sore last night so am taking another rest day today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That’s quite a list, Shades :) As a matter of interest, do you happen to know about a double (or triple) with one race in Luxembourg and the subsequent race in a neighbouring country?  I’m sure I read about it a couple of years ago but I can’t find info. I’ve asked on 100MC page and also dropped Costas a message thinking he may know, but I’ve had no joy.  

I did About 1hr45min on Zwift this morning, and feeling quite tired after it.  I’m seeing a mate for lunch and if I feel like I want to, I’ll drop into the gym on the way home. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, don't know anything about that possible double/triple.   Do you know Warren D', he might know.   I know Costas travels a lot but not sure if he does doubles.   

Off the dentist  :'(.   last time I went I agreed to go on their cancellation list to bring my next appointment forward.   I was pleased to receive a call from them on Monday morning offering me an appointment that day, which I happily declined as I was at Cork airport.   They called again yesterday and I didn't have an excuse.   Might as well get it done and not going to upset an NHS dentist.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I know Warren to look at, but not to speak to. I did find that there is Luxembourg Night Marathon and then the following morning Liege Beer Lover’s Marathon in Belgium, but I can’t imagine I’d do that.  I was just interested really. Good luck at the dentist!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I thought it was a great course,couple of long hills but nothing too bad.
    Shades-No,next week I am,I'm doing a 10k on Sunday then that will be 4 weeks of around 40ish so I'll feel happy moving up then .I'm slightly over my target miles up to now so happy with how its started.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Good to see you all doing OK.
    Shades - Sorry to hear about DD.

I had 2 weeks off with no running, and have a couple of weeks back since building mileage back up. Should be over 30 miles this week. Just need to work out what my next race will be.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Warren normally runs DD, if you see him he wouldn't mind you asking, nice chap.   If you do see him give him my regards.

The Mavericks went over to do Luxembourg, think that was 2017 or 2018.  Freakishly hot and they suffered in the heat.

Are you looking for more doubles to do?

All done at the dentist for 6 months.  No surprise but they are no longer going to treat adults on the NHS.  As the waiting list around here is 3-5 years I've signed up for a care plan.

Trying to drink a coffee now with a teaspoon. 😕

Ian - you've made a good start with your training.   What time will you be happy with for the 10k?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Xpost Steve - what are you looking for, marathon/ultra or something shorter, UK or overseas?

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I had to do that last year to get seen quickly,sure its a way for them just to bulk up their private numbers.
    Not too sure about Sunday,my 19:50 last week converts to around 21:xx,but with a couple more weeks training I will probably go out at 40 pace and see how it goes,as long as its under 41 I'll be fine with it but 40 would be a good sign.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Ian - Think Barca’s the one for me all being well. Have friends there too so hopefully save on hotel. Haven’t spoken to them in a while so might have to ring them for an unrelated catch-up pretty soon 😬

7 miles this afternoon. Feels like >20, very sunny and I guess rebuilding base so HR pretty horrific. Stunning out in the common though. Made me think I doubt I would have kept at the MAF stuff if I didn’t have this common route nearby. Big difference plodding around in nature vs the streets for me. 

Speaking of HR, I increasingly think my max HR and zones are quite a way off. For Copenhagen although the overall data is garbage due to the chest HR strap not fitting properly for a chunk of the race and then relying on the watch for half of it when OH binned the strap, the watch portion had me in the mid 190s at various points of the race (vs my max set at 190 and easy pace at low 140s) I would normally ignore this on its own but as I’d mentioned here before, at Florence I was into the 170s for most of the race. Also the ‘conversational’ and nose breathing test I've assumed have never worked for me historically as I can still do them in the 150s but maybe they’re not so unreliable. Anyway the answer is a max HR test but not sure I’ve the stomach for that at the minute. I figure worst case scenario I’m being quite conservative with my zones. If training progress stops I can revisit this. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Shades, I’m not planning doubles specifically, but if there was an opportunity to do 2 or 3 consecutive marathons in 2 or 3 countries, that may be something I’d consider, especially if we could do it in the van. But if it’s based on that night Luxembourg one, then probably I wouldn’t do it, as doing one in the evening and then another one the following morning doesn’t sound much fun, especially following a drive between the two races. I’ve heard good reviews about the Luxembourg one though, although I’ve never done it myself. 

Went to do the gym and enjoyed it in there today. I seem to have settled into a routine of doing 1000m on the rowing machine as a warmup (it takes 10-12mins), doing the session I want to do, and then cooling down with the simple stretch routine, which takes about 15mins. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, I think Barca is still my favourite marathon, so good choice. :) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - round here many dentists are no longer doing NHS, and some will only do children on NHS, which is the way my dentist's surgery is changing. 
    The NHS funding isn't adequate for dentists, I guess it's part of the NHS backlog to be sorted.   I've seen on FB some who have been on a waiting list in Devon for an NHS dentist for 5 years and also people that can't get emergency treatment especially since Covid.  It's not just round here, last time I went there was a patient there that has moved 150 miles away from Devon but can't get a NHS dentist near his new home so does a 300 mile round trip for treatment.

I think you should be able to do a 40xx on Sunday, hope it's not too hot for you.

My ankle is OK today, definitely going out for a short run tomorrow.  Hopefully back to the gym on Friday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - nothing for it but to do a MHR test.   Really you should have done one at the start as easier to do when you're less aerobically fit.   But it's less than 5 minutes of awfulness 🤭
    Don't do it when you're tired, preferably after a rest day and you need to be all fired up to do it.  Good luck.

You won't have lost your base since your marathon, just a slight setback due to less training, the virus you had and the effect of the warmer weather.

Big G - doubles or even triples in different locations is much more exciting than same location.   I don't think an evening race followed by a morning one would be great planning.😩

There are quite a few doubles in different locations in Ireland, some of the MCI crowd did Tullaroan on the Saturday and Cork the following day.  

That's what I used to do at the gym, 1k on the rowing machine to warm up.   But I'm like most of the others now and never do a warm up just head straight to the weights.  I don't do a cool down either. 😮 But I don't do anything in the gym to raise a sweat, no cardio and the gym is nice and cool anyway.  I do walk there and home again. 🙂