Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I can't think of many races which so many people list highly as Barca,its Big G and my OH favourite,up there for me,I bumped in to King Kenny(old poster) recently and he said it was his favourite.
    Took a rest day today,legs felt fine but I've ran 4 on the run so didn't want to push it,so exercises instead.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, it could be that or allergies to something else...dust, pollution...who knows? I took Monday easy too...went to the gym only to find them closing it (the track's been refurbed and I knew the gym was next but even the gym staff didn't know it was happening so quickly...but basically they were wheeling machinery out as I was doing my exercises. I will have to do home workouts for a while). 
    Yesterday was an easy 6 with some strides in the last mile. Today I had Parkland Relays in the evening, but did a recovery-pace three in the morning to get the legs going. 
    Parkland Relays is held on an undulating trail route in Richmond Park and is just under 3 miles with a whacking great hill in mile 2.
    I guess the pandemic break didn't help my club as, despite having something like 2000 members, we could only manage to field two male and one female team. Our best male team came fourth but I think us ladies were near the back as I have no speed any more and one of the other members is a 40-something who is still dealing with the long term effects of Covid. But we weren't last, at least. I did quite enjoy it...just wish I could find my missing top gear.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I haven't done Barcelona, I did look at going one year but flights were too expensive that year, it's still on my list.   Only thing really puts me off is that it's March.   I'd rather it was later in the year.

Cal - yes, of course it could be allergies to all sorts of stuff, but it's peak hay fever time and I hear lots of folk mentioning it.

How long will you be without the use of the gym?   At least it's not closing down.

Well done on the relays.   Does seem amazing that with a club of that many members they wouldn't field more teams, but I think relays are a bit 'Marmite' plus post Covid some do seem less willing to take part in events.

At Cork marathon the relay is really popular and there were a lot of runners.   After the race when I was buying my post race coffee I was chatting to a relay team and one of their runners just didn't turn up.   So the girl that ran the first leg got to the changeover point and no team member so she had to run the next leg, exhausting for her thinking she was finished.

Gentle 5 miles this morning, ankle OK, knee a bit sore.   We've now moved into that warm humid summer weather, although it wasn't warm when I went out it was very humid and I had to run slower to keep HR down.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've just looked at the flights for Barcelona 2023 and at a very good price.   Maybe in 2024 I'll go.   :)
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Well that’s a pretty ringing endorsement for Barca then. 

Shades - Good that you could get 5 miles in. Why do you not like March races?

Cal - Well done on the relay. I wish I could enter more club races but they never seem to tie into my schedule. I should race more in general really. 

In the office today so will try to run home if can get out of some awful internal drinks. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Been to the gym for upper body today.  There are signs of improvement already, but it’s by far my weaker area.  Amazing how quick the improvements come though really, however small, although I was starting from a low level!

I’m in the info@ email address for Trotters and there seem to be quite a few pulling out of the race in the last week or two with injury/illness. Not sure if it’s just my imagination but it seems there’s more than usual.  It’ll be interesting to see how many toe the start line and finish in comparison to other years.

OH has organised a zoo vet conference that is taking place at Twycross Zoo so it’s just me and Tigg for a couple of days. I’m going out with some friends in Exeter tonight for a meal though, which should be nice. I do actually have a place for the pasta party for DD tomorrow evening, but I haven’t made my mind up if I’ll go out yet.  It’ll be nice to see a few of the runners and get a bit of the buzz I suppose, but it’s a bit of a drive out there. 

Had a really good day with the foot yesterday and I found a new stretch that seemed to be helping the last day or two. But even though I don’t feel I overdid it with the foot yesterday, there’s a bit of pain there again today.  So annoying!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Rcouture - too early in the year for me, I don't like to do long runs in the winter.   I wouldn't normally run my first marathon of the year until April and I would prefer it to be late April.  I'd quite happily run marathons throughout the summer but unfortunately the events aren't there, road marathons.   Try to avoid those challenge type events which I don't really enjoy.

Hope you get to do your run home.  

Big G - great that you can see improvements already from the gym work.   Annoying about the foot though. 

Although DD isn't far from either of us, it is a long drive time wise for the distance, maybe you should camp up there Friday night, I saw Chair saying there was a place available.

I haven't emailed DD to say I'm DNS'ing, didn't think there was a need.   But I did think there were more places up for offer close to the transfer deadline this year and a few since saying they were injured.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There’s no need to email in Shades. I think people are hoping for a refund or a deferral to next year really.  The people handing out the numbers at HQ will know of the DNSs once HQ has closed. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - there are quite a few evening events...the last Trail Series event is Weds 6th July (7pm) and there will be mile relays in Battersea Park at some point - these are amazing fun. Usually on a Monday evening. There's also an annual Bridges Relay around Waterloo area but not heard if that's happening this year.

Shades, I'm with you on the March races...another thing that gives me pause about Tokyo (though mostly it's financial).
    Gym is shut until mid July (though as they're knocking a wall down, I'm not optimistic they'll be that quick...we'll see). Just did a quick kettlebell blast at home.

Big G, good luck...hope the foot doesn't give you any trouble.
    I've noticed my achilles has started to grumble slightly...I think it's because I've been using my low drop trail shoes for a few things. I don't want to let that demon back out of its cage!

No run today...but did a 5.45 mile walk with a couple of hills in.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    In shoe news I got a birthday voucher for runners need so have ordered OnCloudmonsters. Ridiculous name but get good reviews and most importantly they are a rare 6mm heel drop daily trainer which I think is my sweet spot but has proven really hard to find. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I can understand your hesitation re Tokyo.  It's an expensive trip and although we can endure awful weather any time of year for a race, it's more likely that it could be bad at that time of year and possibly spoil your race.

That's a lengthy closure for your gym, hopefully the alterations will improve the facilities.    

That's a long walk!

Rcouture - ooh we haven't talked about new shoes for ages.  :)  

Just gone to read a review on the OnCloudmonsters, they sound great and really suitable for you.   I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with them.   

There was a kit retailer at Cork Expo, I bought two tops from him.   He had On shoes there but didn't have my size so didn't get a chance to try them on, don't think they were the newer models as he was selling them at a good discount.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - I think On have usually been quite firm shoes and maybe a bit more of a fashion brand, not that I’d know anything about that but that’s what OH says 😀. Recently though I think they’ve tried to catch up with the softer midsoles seen elsewhere.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I always thought those ON looked a bit weird,hope they run well.
    Shades-We always seem to find decent flight to Barca,have a few airports to choose from though that fly there regularly. I will definitely do it again soon.
    7 after work,going to do 5 I think tomorrow then the race Sunday,it's not the fastest course as there's a few 180° turns but it's very local and we enjoy it.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Like I said I’m not Mr Fashion so they looked odd to me but I assumed others liked them. Nice 7. 

6 and a bit to station for me this eve. Managed to show my face at work drinks for a 5 minute Diet Coke and headed off so that’s a result. Rock and roll lifestyle over here. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I looked at On's website and some of the reviews seem to be from customers that use them for walking, but lots of praise for their comfort.   Reviews aren't always helpful, a lot of running shoe websites are full of reviews from non runners, cushioned shoes are bought by those that are on their feet all day at work etc.  Looks like the Cloudmonster is  deliberately targeting runners. 

Well done dodging the booze up, office party 🥳

Ian - when I looked at Barcelona, was a few years ago, the flight was about £200+.  Down here it can be hard to find a flight out of tourist summer season to what is consider holiday destinations and the majority of flights are from April onwards.  Last time I went to Florence I had to fly from Heathrow as no flights after October and marathon is in November.  But that is changing so it's getting easier to find flights, or it was until Covid.
    But right now, big risk of cancellations until everything gets back to normal at airports, staffing etc.   I'm glad I have no overseas races right now until situation improves.

5 miles this morning, gorgeous morning but very humid.  Ankle OK but knee a bit niggly again, will leave the gym until tomorrow.   Sore calf has healed fully, must have been from trying to protect ankle on other leg during race.   Have a fair amount of admin to do including my bank rec to see the damage last weekend has done  :open_mouth:

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I see on RunBritain that Lancaster have a marathon on 10th July?   Are you planning to run that or perhaps the half?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I said that last night to OH,we timed our breaks well,as next one isn't until September so hopefully will have fixed itself by then.
    I am probably going to do the half there,I don't have a race in July and was looking for one and seen that a few days ago,I've done a few of their races and they don't tend to sell out so can enter late.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, quite late coming up on RunBritain website, but I thought you'd probably know it was on.  Good timing for your training to slot a half marathon in.

Weather looks good for DD, probably a bit of a breeze when climbing back up onto the moor and as usual heading towards the finish.   But for Dartmoor, that's very good conditions.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Rcouture, well done on getting out of the work drinks :)

Shades, I think I’d be moaning that it was too hot for me for DD!

1hr on Zwift this morning for me, nice and easy. Then went over to see Dad, and dropped into the gym for a session afterwards. I’ve got a Zwift race this afternoon - I won one last week, so let’s see if I do well again this week!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think it's forecast to be about 15 degrees, that wouldn't be too hot for you, would it?  😉. Especially not with 18mph winds.

Hope your Dad is doing OK.

I've been watching the Critérium du Dauphiné and so enjoying it, especially as it's my preferred commentary team, David Millar etc.

Good you're able to gym and Zwift pain free.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Interesting what they've done,they had Lamcaster marathon a couple of times,felt it didn't work so moved it to every 5 years,but since covid they've decided to do it each year again.
    Big G-Good luck on going for the double.
    Nice day in work so going for a run soon,probably do my usual 7 rather than shorter as I seem to be recovering well,and we've just taken the lead on the team side on the work challenge so don't want to let my partner down.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’m enjoying Dauphiné too. 

My Zwift race didn’t go as well today.  In the game, it mimics as close as possible riding in the real world with the tactics, and as in the real world, there are surges and I missed the initial break, so I was out of the lead group quite quickly.  Often, the second group catches the lead group if the second group is larger so you don’t necessarily have to chase every break, but once the elastic snaps, it is all but impossible to catch a group on your own as the leading group together rides faster than I can on my own.  It was a fairly long course (I was racing for over an hour), with some climbing too, but I stuck in with the second group and thought I was conserving energy by riding the wheels in the group. What tends to happen on Zwift is that with 3K to go, the pace starts to wind right up and then with 300m to go you empty the tank, which I did, but I didn’t even manage to win the group I was in. Still, it was a good session and it certainly got the HR elevated for the hour!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Can't win them all,will you still get moved to a higher group?
    Did my 7,pretty windy,which it's now down to be on Sunday so will see how it is on the day.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I won’t go up a level after this race as my max 20min power output was lower today compared to the other race I did. I’m right on the boundary and I think they take an average of the last 3 races and if that figure is above a certain number I’d get promoted, but this race. has brought the average down a bit.  I was Cat B last year for a short time, but I’m Cat C at the moment. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - not sure every 5 years is a good idea, runners like a marathon to be a annual fixture so they can plan their running diaries.   I would do it if I was closer but not going to drive up the M6 in school holidays, well not this year anyway.

Big G - perfect DD weather out there today, bit of a breeze even down here though.   Enjoy your marshalling.

5 miles again today, ankle 1-2/10 but knee OK.   I ran past B & Q and got swiped by that vicious seagull that returns every year. Not sure if the chicks would have hatched yet or it was just getting some practise in.    Interestingly I had just checked my HR at 118, swipe by seagull and it shot up to 128. 

Gym later
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, looking forward to marshalling. Strangely I’m not particularly disappointed to be missing the race, probably because I know I’m not in shape. If I had been in shape and got a late injury/illness in the last few days, probably I would feel differently. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just sighed a couple of times last night and this morning, thinking I'd be preparing for the race at that time .   But when I go out for a run and my ankle and/or knee niggles me then any disappointment disappears as I too know I'm not in shape to run even the first 20 miles.

Hope Tigg enjoys his day on the moor too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Feel a bit disappointed not to be there,feel like I could have given it a decent go but no chance of having a few days off together this week.If it was in a couple of weeks I'd have had a chance.
    I also got asked to do the Welsh Castles relay this weekend but just can't fit it in.
    Work today so no running ready for tomorrow.
    OH is training really well at the minute,most weeks she's similar or beating my mileage.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    A shame you all couldn’t make DD. Makes me almost want to sign up! Bit of a trek for me though. 

Shades - Oh dear re the aggro seagulls. I recall you’ve had bad run-ins with them before. 

Big G - Enjoy the marshalling

Ian - Has your OH got races planned?

6 miles in glorious sunshine earlier in between taxi service for the girls. 12 miles tomorrow eve hopefully for around 36-37 miles this week. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - as I came out of the gym I looked at my watch and thought I'd just be running through Ashburton now, felt a bit sad.  But then thought at least I don't have to run up that bloody hill out of Ashburton.  😃

Shame you have to miss the relay event too.

Good to hear OH is training so well, keeps you on your toes mileage wise. 😉

Rcouture - it's a long trek that you wouldn't regret.  Ian maybe has further to travel than you 😉. Robert too perhaps.
    First Saturday in June, mark your calendar, nice weekend down here with the family perhaps.

Your building up the mileage well.

Gym was good, enjoyed it.