Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, I’m doing that, plus stretching, massage of the calf etc. Also, a stretch that involves kneeling, whilst sitting on my heels/toes to stretch the toes out, which I think is beneficial. I also bought one of those ultrasound things similar to what you have I think, but I’m not sure if that is doing anything or not. I feel I’m doing everything I can really.  GP did offer an injection too, but I’m wary of that as I’ve heard horror stories, alongside success stories.  I think I’m mainly wary though as it’s not really treating the root cause. 

TR, I do have heel inserts and I also have full length insoles with a raised arch, and I think those were possibly helping more than just the inserts, and I’ve got them in all my shoes.  I wore them on today’s run as well. I think/hope my bike is okay, but I can look at that. Not doing yoga as such, but I am doing a stretch routine most days, which is something I’ve introduced fairly recently alongside going to the gym. 

Shades, yeah, I think I’m going to have to try and forget running for another few weeks at least.  I thought I’d rested enough, but plainly not as it’s quite painful as I type this. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I do feel for you as you've done everything possible to try and heal the PF.

Wasn't it mamafox that was cured by having an injection?     

Robert decided not to have an injection, I recall.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - i had PF, my OP was sore and i was fed up with running in pain, so i decided id stop until the new year......i had a niglt hammy/glute at the start of this year and the running in discomfort or the "i wonder how far i can do before it hurts" gets tiresome and brings you down.

Big G - also work on loosening up yr feet and ankles as much as possible. I also stopped wearing flip flops, pumps and limited bare foot walking.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - So sorry to hear that re the PF. Are there even causes of PF beyond just general ‘overuse’?

Cal - Great job on the 10th place. Sounds a though race and I hate a cobble too. Enjoy the rest of your time up north. 

7 miles this morning. Really humid. Wanted to grab some bread from tesco on the way back but felt too sweaty and gross to even pop in. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I think people who are overweight can suffer with PF, but I’m not overweight. 

TR, thanks for all the info. Funnily enough, I was looking at a specific ankle/foot strengthening routine just the other day but I’ve not really incorporated it. I will do though. I have been doing the things Robert suggested whilst watching TV in terms of picking up a towel with my foot, and putting it back down again, and also writing the alphabet with my foot. But I could probably do more in this area. I never wear flip flops anyway, so no issues from that perspective. One thing I’ve noticed at the gym - when I’m doing glute exercises on the machine, when standing on the right foot (the one with the PF), there is much more movement in comparison to when I’m standing on the left foot, which is basically totally stable. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    TR - that was a long rest period, but at least it worked.

My friend was told by his physio to go out and buy 'old man slippers', no more backless footwear.

Rcouture - I'm sure you could have used the self scan to get your bread  🥵

PF occurs in runners/walkers and people that never exercise at all, it isn't caused by too much running, just that the tendon becomes inflamed.  The term 'overuse' is used generally when it's not a trauma injury.

In my last job a woman in my office had PF, she'd had it before and booked an appointment with the doctor.   I heard her saying that last time she'd been signed off for 2 or 3 weeks and she was hoping that would happen again.  When she came back from the docs she stomped into the office in a very bad mood, the doctor had told her to stop wearing those ridiculous shoes, in the summer she wore flip flop type sandals.   He also offered her bariatric surgery, she was very overweight with other health issues, never exercised.  He refused to sign her off.   She refused the surgery.

Big G - we all have one stronger side than the other.   Core work can help with that too.

6 miles today, hilly again 483 ft.   Lovely morning, we had a fair amount of rain last night and today a sharp cold wind, feels refreshing after the heat.
    I've seen many odd things when out running but today was a first.     On a narrow country road just a few spread out detached houses, a man was walking towards me pushing a barrow with a fridge on it, no parked van or car anywhere in sight so not delivering.   Only on the way back did I realise what he was doing, the village had their summer fayre yesterday and the marquee was still up.  He must have supplied the fayre with the fridge and at 6:30 this morning was taking it home again.

42 miles for the week, only been doing 6 miles a day but no rest day.   Should be back up to 50 miles next week.    :)

Gym later
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Really bad to hear about your PF,at the minute you can at least hammer Zwift but when you're away I guess you can't even do that.Hope you get some improvement soon.
    Shades-Next year is looking really expensive,daughter is getting married and her fiance was born in India,so we will be going there for the second part of the wedding in September for his family,but I do know quite a few doing Boston next year so it is tempting.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Indian wedding, how exciting!l. Is it likely to be a 100s of guests job? Not sure I’ve attended an Indian wedding that was less than 400 people to be honest and have been to a few. 

Shades - That is quite odd re the fridge man. Good job on the 42 miles

10 miles for me which ended up becoming a tempo in the second half as too busy today again as have folks coming over. I am also on 42 miles for the week. Rest day tomorrow for sure. Not sure if it’s just a placebo effect from this thread but heel and bottom of left foot feeling a bit funny today. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's going to be some wedding, how exciting.   Definitely not going to be a cheap year for you.

Rcouture - well done on squeezing your 10 miler in your busy lifestyle.

Hope that's just a phantom niggle from reading about PF.

Gym getting busier, couldn't start my lower body routine on my preferred machine.  But then a few left and no problems doing rest of routine.  We've got so used to, and enjoyed, less people in the gym.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I would imagine it is,they have hired a hotel resort in Kerala so we are planning on stopping over in dubai/Abu Dhabi area for a few days to break the journey.Glad they are both doctors so we're not getting stung for most of it 😆
    Well done on the faster 10.
    Shades-42 is a good week.
    Hoping to top up to 50 later but my achilles has been sore the last couple of days so I'll see how I feel later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - trip via Dubai, sounds fabulous.

Not worth risking the achilles for a few miles, you've been doing so well.

I've been looking around for some races in the summer, no marathons around except IOM which I can't afford this year.
    Looking at shorter races too, one I wanted to do, a hilly 10 miler, is only 2 weeks away but racing over a hilly course is maybe too soon.
    So I have a half planned early August, can't remember the last time I did a half.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that sounds very exciting about the wedding. I once went to India for work and loved the bits I saw. There are marathons too...maybe check one out ;) 

Fortunately I don’t feel the foot is back to square 1, which is good as that would have been very annoying!  It’s more or less as it was on Friday, but obviously I’m not running.  So 1hr on Zwift this morning, 1hr in the gym for lower body, and 1hr on Zwift this afternoon was my exercise for today. 

I enjoyed the video from Kofuzi today, about a marathon he ran. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-We ended up going out for a meal and didn't want to risk the achilles so ended on 39 for the week.
    Big G-I've already had a quick look,the only one I can see is a mountain marathon so will look closer to the time.
    Seen Kofuzi got his sub 3,he's really worked for that over the years,hoping he does a run before Chicago to go to.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, if you go to Abu Dhabi you can ride the world's fastest rollercoaster at Ferrari World. You have to wear safety goggles in the front row to avoid getting your eyeballs sandblasted.  :D

6 miles yesterday morning, along the Curry Mile to Platt's Fields (home of South Manchester parkrun) and back. Just 27 miles for the week but after a bunch of races I needed am easier one.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good news about your foot.   Maybe 3 miles was too far, perhaps start with running just one mile when you feel ready to run again.

Had to google Kofuzi, never heard of him.  

Ian - sensible choice going for a meal instead, hope the achilles is OK today.

Cal - hope you are home before the chaos starts on the railways.

That rollercoaster in Dubai sounds horrendous, have you been on it?

7 miles this morning, Windy and humid but OK for running.    Very hard run as I trashed my legs in the gym yesterday  :'(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, he’s a fairly popular running YouTuber, and he’s been trying to get a sub-3 for some time (Ian, Rcouture and myself watch his videos on occasion).   He records all his races and at this one he managed to break the barrier for the first time and I found myself rooting for him to do it!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I have. Most of the outdoor coasters there have safety goggles due to all the sand in the air. A lot of the parks are mostly indoors, though, for that reason and the heat.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I wonder if he would have run faster if he wasn't filming himself during the race!

Cal - must have been a great visit for you.   

It is very hot there, I used to deal with our Dubai office in my last job.   On the coach to Heathrow I sat with a student, just graduated from Exeter, she was returning to visit her family in Dubai, she said it was 41 degrees there   B)  That's just too hot.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes he would run faster ,but then if he didn't film he wouldn't have had as big a following,therfore he'd have to work and Asics wouldn't give him free stuff to help him train better.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you mean like get a real job  ;)   Asics are very generous with their kit, I had £600 worth of kit off them for the 10 in 10
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    He was a successful lawyer (his own firm I believe) but as far as I know this is what he does now. Fair play to him. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I agree, fair play to him.   If he can make a living from having a following of people that like to live vicariously,  then why not.  A lot less stress than having a law firm.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-His wife has also been the big earner the last few years so he could afford to be a stay at home dad which makes a big difference. 
    Leg felt fine today so went out for 8.5m,I was wearing my Nike Structure as they are a stability shoe,but I've moved back to my 1080's for a while as they have a slightly higher drop.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Ian - good to hear the leg is OK today.

It's worth rotating the shoes daily except when you know the achilles is a bit delicate and opting then for higher drop and/or more support.

Big G

I see YT is going back to Frankfurt this autumn, talking of 120 mile weeks in his training.  He ran 112 last week. 🙂
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6.96 miles this morning.   Should have been 7 miles but my neighbour stopped me at the end of the road to tell me the saga of how her car broke down in town yesterday.   By the time she'd finished my Garmin had autosaved my run  :#

Lovely morning, had a really good run, can still feel legs and glutes from Sunday gym but not as glycogen depletion.   First run today without taping on my ankle and all fine.

Gym later

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Shades - Oh dear re the neighbour. We’ve one like that near us too. Lovely old boy but I tend to cross the road lest he chews my ear off for 20 minutes. 

6 miles this morning. Had a cancelled early meeting so went out at 7:30 in prime school run time coupled with rail strikes so roads were jammed until I could duck into the common. Meant to be travelling for work to France today but I’m not even sure how I’ll get to my train at this stage. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I had to stop to wait for the traffic to cross the road and neighbour caught me there.   She's mid 80's and lives on her own, I think she felt better after telling me the whole saga.   My good deed for the day.

Good luck with your travel today.   Pushbike perhaps?  :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, his most popular videos are the shoe reviews, which I think are good. His sub-3 was something he’d been aiming for, and I personally thought it was quite motivating to see a regular runner reach his goal for the first time, especially after having one or two near misses. Yeah, I saw that about YT. It looks like he has some kind of football coaching role, plus a job with his Dad (I think) so hopefully he’ll have a bit more of a balance now, whilst still doing the mileage he wants. He’s got a girlfriend as well, so things are different for him now, whereas previously running was all consuming from what he was saying before. 

Ian, there are a couple of younger YouTubers with no family etc, and they seem to make it pay with no other jobs, even though they’ve got small channels (less than 100K subscribers). I find the model interesting, as obviously YouTube take a cut, and the content creators still make money. I suppose advertisers used to go to print media in years gone by, but now look elsewhere to advertise. 

Back was a bit tender yesterday so I skipped the gym. Basically, we need a new mattress!  I did do my stretches and also I’ve done them today, and I expect it’ll be Zwift and the gym later. I have been looking around for gyms I can get into when I’m away.  There is one literally 5mins from where we are staying in Dover. There are zero in France though, but quite a few in NL, so maybe I’ll get to a couple of gyms whilst away, particularly when we are staying for 3 or 4 days with OH’s parents as there will be more time then. 

Been to see a ‘doer-upper’ (understatement) near me. It is very, very attractively priced, but the work required is large. Everything needs doing, and it’s Grade II listed, which is an added complication in terms of costs and timescales, and is something totally new to me. It’s a mess, with evidence of a leak, but the roof was done recently and the place has been cleared, which is good.  It really could be very nice. There is planning permission to make changes so it is tempting, but we’ve seen it twice and we are still not sure. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G--It's interesting how YouTube pays out,I know its not just subscribers, amount of comments,length of video watch time etc all feeds in to it.
    I decided to run to the park and tried to do a MP effort,but only managed 4 miles or so and it felt pretty tough,ran home so came to 10.5m altogether.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah. Then there are the channels that have videos that people keep going back to (i.e., stretch routines).  These can get millions of views, and I think the algorithm pushes these to people who search for flexibility routines, for example.  Whereas, probably for things like shoe reviews, people only watch them once, as they are a different kind of video.  How the algorithm choses what to show in terms of ads doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes though - I fairly often get ads for products aimed at women....