Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - not sure if you still use them, but Saucony are selling ride 14s for 75 inc freepost. I havnt bought any in a while as they are rarely reduced, but I'll get a pair at this price.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - looks like it's going to be hot everywhere this weekend.  Robert's got an ultra on Saturday  B)

Sounds like Mellor is in great shape, I hope he does well at Birmingham, he deserves it.

Re the Novablast 2, that's a very kind offer thank you.   But I'll decline.   With my £10 voucher from Sports Direct the cost will be about the same but I need that kinesiology tape, that's how this all started.   :/

I am signed up with Keller, haven't bought anything from them yet but may do if I like these shoes and need more.

Have you tried the Novablast?   I did hear they're not that dissimilar from your Invincibles.

TR - I still have 2 pairs of Rides in my training stable, I love them and would certainly buy more.   They're lovely shoes, haven't tried the 14's though, but I think I remember you saying they were good.   That's a very good price, I may go and have a look. 

We're half way through the year and I've only bought 2 pairs of running shoes this year, no wonder there's talk of a recession  ;)   

8 miles today, lovely morning, fresh though, should have worn my gloves, hands were freezing for first 5 miles.   Legs sore after gym, those deadlifts, ouch.   :'(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    5K run/walk this morning around the canal here. Loads of cyclists on their way to work. Can’t remember if I said but at the train station at Groningen there as a cycle park facility that had 4500 spaces for bikes for commuters. It’s just a totally different set up here, including the rules of the road, which are basically set up for the safety of cyclists. For the unsuspecting tourist/pedestrian though, I have to eyes everywhere to stop getting ran over! 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, interesting that he'd pick what is basically a Runthrough fun run!
    Big G - run over by bikes? Bikes can be a bugger on shared paths as they're almost silent, unless the cyclist remembers to use their bell.

Day off yesterday (just a leisurely 5 mile walk) but 6 miles today including some strides. Got the last race in the Wimbledon Trail Series tomorrow...dreading it a bit as it's longer than the others (the standard route is 5 miles but there's another, slightly shorter lap for the last one of the year, taking it up to just under 8 miles). And that's a tough course. I'm sure I'll manage, though...I'll just need to be sensible about pacing myself.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, they’re everywhere in places like Groningen, even in the centre, as basically everyone travels around by bike. Here is a pic I found online of a train station!

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I haven't tried them yet,but after seeing what Rcouture said and reading some reviews I'll give them a go at some point.
    Cal-He often pops up at smaller races up here,he usually does my clubs 5 miler in the park,always hangs around and talks to people,really nice guy.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's admirable (for the planet, pollution etc.) that so many cycle everywhere but brings another hazard for runners.    As a runner I suppose you'd get used to it in time.
    That's an awful sight, all those bikes, how ugly is that.

How's the foot?

Cal - good luck for tomorrow's race, the extra distance should be no problem for you.   Hope it's not too warm for you.

Ian - I've ordered the shoes, and 3 boxes of tape. :)

TR - I looked at the Ride 14's, lovely shoes but only ones in my size are pink, not a trailer trash pink (except for the soles) but still not for me.  Same shoes are, with club discount, same price on Sportsshoes but they only have that colour choice too.  But I'll keep an eye open for other colours on offer as I would like a pair.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I see Eilish McColgan is running her debut marathon at London this year.   :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was thinking about the runners. The thing is, there are lots of cycle lanes that the runners use as well, and as there are hardly any other pedestrians, maybe it’s something I’d get used to. Zero hills though, apart from under bridges!  It always makes me wonder how the Dutch and Belgian cyclists are dominating currently with some of the top stars in the sport. 

The foot isn’t any better, but also not any worse. I’m considering taking up the offer of getting the injection and it’s getting to me a bit mentally to be honest. After a great start to the year I was hoping for PBs and enjoying some local races, but that hasn’t happened. I’ve said it before, but although I enjoy Zwifting it’s not the same as running. I am still in two minds about the injection though. 

Just finished at the gym (a different one to yesterday). My OH has a vet friend who works across the road from this gym, and she had the afternoon off so it worked well. Writing this from the ‘coffee corner’ as this one has free tea/coffee :) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Big G - don't all the cycle teams live in camps,  train in France /the Alps/Spain/Italy and then race themselves to peak fitness?   I don't honestly know, just what I assumed.

Sorry there's no real progress on your PF, I don't expect our talk of new running shoes has helped, sorry.

It has to be your decision re the injection.  If it was me and I had confidence in the doctor I think I would jump at the opportunity to have the injection.   I do think since Covid we're less hesitant about injections of any sort.

Well done on another session at the gym.   Well impressed with a gym that has a coffee corner and free too. 😊
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Shades, I suppose so, but I was wondering if as youngsters coming up through the ranks (presumably mainly training/racing in their country) where they got their strength/power from. I don’t know either though. 

Yeah, even on this holiday I’d pencilled in a marathon but of course I can’t do it due to the injury. 

At the gym there was also fruit available so I had an apple too :)  That’s probably it now until I get home though as for some reason my gym has zero branches in France. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - i was aware of that offer Sunday, they had stock in my size yday, but i decided I'd buy today......too late. So i missed it too. I'll keep an eye on it in case they get any returns.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I seen that about Eilish,hope she goes well,it looks a very strong ladies field,men to be announced Thursday, wonder if Kipchoge will be doing it or if he is doing NYC this autumn.
    Just under 12 today,I decided to go out to the front,2.5m downhill then 7 along the front and back and 2.5m uphill,had a slight headwind on the way out and tailwind on the way back but managed to keep the heart rate nice and level u tol the last hills.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - oh that's really bad luck.   There are a few Ride 14's on Sportsshoes, worth checking to see if they have your size.

Ian - don't know about Kipchoge, he might be doing the World Championships and won't announce any autumn plans until after championships finish.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-He wasn't selected for the world's,and I remember him saying he wants to win all the majors before he retires ,just NYC and Boston left,which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he did NYC this Autumn,guess we'll have a better idea on Thursday.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Hope you enjoy the shoes

Big G - What are the downsides of the injection?

Ian - Nice 12. I saw Charlotte Purdue running it as well who’s on form. Hard done by not being picked for the olympics, at least according to a podcast I heard of hers. 

10 miles this eve. Bit longer than usual weekday run at this stage but thought I’d front load a bit of mileage since I’m possibly doing this 10k on Sunday. Forecast improved a bit to feels like 22 which is good. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - New York seems the likely option then.   I doubt he's running the Commonwealth Games.

Rcouture - I love watching Charlotte Purdue run, such a gutsy runner and so good at maintaining her pace.   Unfortunately there are many athletes that feel the selection process and/or decisions made can be unfair especially when it comes to Olympics as only every 4 years and they feel their chance may never happen again.

Good news on slight cooling of Sunday's weather.

5 miles this morning, can feel the weather changing.   Only 14 degrees when I went out but humidity in high 90's so felt a lot warmer than that.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, I think it can be quite painful during and shortly after. And also I’m concerned that if the PF does disappear would it be temporary, and if so is it basically temporarily masking an underlying issue, which would be better to be dealt with naturally? There are also horror stories where the procedure makes things worse (possibly if not administered correctly?), but I think that is very rare. 

Just did about 45min run/walk again. We’re leaving Zwolle today and heading to the campsite in France, which is about 4.5hrs and we’ll share the driving. We’ll stop in Maastricht for a final appeltaart :) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good you can do a daily run/walk now.

Enjoy the appeltaart.

It's warming up here, I expect it's going to warm up in France too over the next few days.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hope Eilish does well - no reason she wouldn't. That stride of hers will eat up the ground. Steph's not running as far as I know (she's doing the Commonwealth Games) but we've Rose Harvey running for us - she's done 2:27 so I daresay she'll be wanting to improve on that.

Big G, that's a crazy amount of bikes, yikes!

Just did a 3 mile recovery run - didn't really have to go for a run as I'm running this evening, but thought it would do me good and it did. Actually kept my HR nice and low (below 140 and average 128) as I expect my ticker will be working extra hard tonight.
    I have to say, though, I am concerned about the incoming heatwave - it looks to be 30s all next week, including Sunday when I have an 8 mile race (it'll be 22-24 in the morning when I'm running). Glad I didn't go for the 10 mile option.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - hope it's not going to be too hot this weekend for you.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a great run today keeping your HR nice and low.

I think you should have low humidity for your race tonight and for Sunday, that will help.   Humidity here is still in mid 80's now.

But what doesn't help is when we have consecutive days of hot weather and the heat inside my flat builds up, I think you have the same problem too. 

I'm off to the cool gym now.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah yes the Sunday race is on the 17th, not this weekend. I've learned my lesson about scheduling more than one in a week.  :D
    But yes, the heat build up is awful. I recently bought one of those cooling weighted blankets and it's really good (it's like a thin quilt, but feels nice and heavy) though I still get hot under it. Old lady problems I guess.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Good luck tonight. Is it Harry Hawkes you’re doing next week? I would have done that if I hadn’t scheduled this weekend’s 10k. 

6 miles earlier. Jumped into OH’s yoga last night and again had that weak limbed feeling on today’s run. Anyway sorted itself by halfway for a pleasant run.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hopefully it may cool down by Sunday week.

That cooling blanket sounds interesting.   Fortunately my bedroom is usually the coolest part of my flat in warm weather.

Rcouture - that yoga must be quite challenging to have that effect on you the following day.

It's quite warm here, just been outside in the sun chatting to a neighbour and I got really hot.   I've come inside and just put the oven on to roast some chicken and my flat is getting warmer very quickly.   :'(
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mo Farah has announced he's running London marathon.   Wonder if that's to be his final race 😮
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Arrived here in France a few hours ago and there’s already an atmosphere building before the TdF stage tomorrow. The route goes right through the town centre, and through a large square, with things kicking off down here at 10am. Loads of bars showing the race on TV so the plan is to find one, watch the race on TV, and then come out before it all comes rolling though. Really looking forward to it. 

The race goes through here. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It must be his finale,hard to see him being in for the win,even if its Cherono instead of Kipchoge,its hard to see Mo being able to keep up.We'll have a better idea tomorrow.
    Took today off,felt fine but I've done 38m in 3 days,we have entered the half for Sunday.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes. I usually do the 10 mile but they're doing a special anniversary 8 mile and I opted for that as it was a distance I'd not tried before.
    Yoga can be pretty tough.

Lovely photo, Big G.

Interesting, Shades. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired soon (then again, he might just try to hang on like Boris :lol:)

Wimbledon Trail Series Race 3. Unlike the first two races, the third race is longer - almost 8 miles - and it was my first time doing this as the first year I ran, I was injured for the last race, while last year the series was held later (due to the pandemic) so the last race was the same length as the others as it was in September, when there's less daylight. The technical Alps section is not repeated, but the rest is, so it's twice up the steep Rifle Butts (unlike last time, this was not a muddy slip 'n' slide, but I decided power walking the steepest part was more efficient than trying to jog up it) and twice up the horrible Toast Rack, which was particularly sandy today thanks to all the dry weather.
    I figured I'd be around 80 minutes and I came in at somewhere under 82 so I wasn't far off. I really slowed down second time up the Toast Rack but the main issue I had was painful intestinal cramps towards the end. I had one that literally stopped me in my tracks and made me double over within view of the finish. 
    This isn't the first time this has happened - I had the same thing at Kingston half back in 2019, though I managed to pull myself together enough to get a PB. Not a concern today as it was a weird distance and I'm not in shape, but could've done without it.
    Anyway, it's done! And at least I have a time to try and beat next year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - how exciting, I'm so jealous.   Have a wonderful day.   Will you get a chance to follow the Tour in the next few days?

Yesterday's highlights programme was amazing, brilliant television, those cobbles.

Ian - I can't imagine Farah thinks he has much chance, rumour is that today there will be 10 sub 2:05 runners announced in the line up.

Cal - Farah (unlike Boris) will be doing it for the money.   He'll have negotiated a fat appearance fee from London.   IMHO if he cared anything about running, and giving something back for his fans, he would be representing UK in the Worlds or Europeans, or even do the Commonwealth Games.

Well done at last night's race, sounds a toughie.

8 miles this morning, bit of a sweaty run as 94% humidity when I went out.   Did one of my favourite hilly routes 680 feet, minimal traffic, lots of rabbits of all sizes and the divine smell of freshly cut hay drying in the fields.