Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I struggled with that race that year. I was close to 1:30 shape but I did 1:45. It’s a nice race though as you say, and well done for getting it done. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I was so tempted to not carry on yesterday.   But it's a single lap route and not really any option to DNF.   I see from the results that there were only 2 runners that DNF'd, which in those conditions is impressive, but they did have 7 drink stations so despite the heat there was plenty water.

Rcouture - you might as well use the 1's if you're not going to race in them anymore.
    Yesterday the guy parked next to me took the latest of the Nike's out of the box for his race, I think he did well as I know he won a prize.   He wasn't concerned about the heat as he now lives in Thailand, home for a visit.

Big G - thanks.   What day is your podiatrist appointment?

5 miles recovery run this morning, a very pleasant cool 14 degrees.

Watched the last of the CW athletics last night, good to see Laura Muir and Eilish run so hard and win well deserved medals.   I watched the men's 5,000m on Saturday night, terrific race, worth a watch for anyone that missed it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, appointment is Wednesday afternoon. As it stands, I’ll be amazed if he gives me the go ahead to restart running :( I think I’m just going to have to cancel my plans for the 100MC Marathon and Chester and just focus on cycling and gym, and then see how it goes. But I’ll wait and see what he says. Not sure what other options there are though - I’ve been really good with the exercises and everything else, but it is still there, and the last 2 or 3 days it’s been a bit worse again. Even just standing at the Totnes 10k yesterday was uncomfortable, but I don’t know why sometimes it feels great and other times, for no real reason that I can think of, it’s worse again. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G -  sorry to hear that about your foot.   I do hope he'll have some alternative treatment/rehab programme for you.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’m thinking of doing a more structured training program on Zwift, depending on what the podiatrist says. I did a ‘benchmark’ test today just to make sure my power zones are correct (they are), so a training program would help to keep me a bit focussed, and it would be interesting if I see objective improvements in my power output over the training program. I think that, plus the continuing gym/flexibility work and the occasional Zwift race, would keep me motivated. 

Gym earlier, and upper body routine is seeing definite improvements. I’m still comparatively weak on the shoulder press (I wonder if that’s to do with the shoulder issue I had a few years ago?), but real improvements in things like seated row and pull downs. Flexibility is better as well...I can now touch my toes, whereas at the start I was lucky if I was able to reach half way down my shin!  I’m not looking any different, but that’s not the objective anyway as I don’t want to bulk up, which most likely wouldn’t happen anyway unless I changed my diet. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a good idea re a Zwift training plan if the podiatrist keeps you grounded from running for a while longer.

That's significant improvement on your flexibility now being able to touch your toes, that's good work on the hamstrings which will help your running too.

I'm very weak on shoulder press too, I was moaning about it to one of our gym instructors last week and he said the muscles in that area are small (in comparison to elsewhere) and take a long time to strengthen.

Don't worry about bulking up, it doesn't happen unless you spend hours lifting heavy weights and a huge amount of protein over a long period of time. Several years.

Bit less time if you take steroids apparently.😉
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-With your endurance background you could do well on Zwift,certainly a good idea to get a program to help keep you motivated,as long as we don't lose you to the dark side permanently 😉 
    10 miles today,legs still felt a little tired from Saturday but no real issues,kept the pace nice and steady.
  • Big G, that's really frustrating about the foot. I kind of understand, too, as my achilles was at its absolute worst when I wasn't even running (this was when I had a cyst on my foot and working as a PE teacher, and I wore zero drop shoes to school to keep the weight further back on my foot. Which achilles hated, evidently).
    Good improvements in the gym, though - it's good to have something else to focus on. My shoulder press ain't great either but I can't really get my left arm vertical due to shoulder impingement. 

I decided to get the speed work done today before the Sun goes nuclear (since I don't like to carry water on faster runs) so headed down to Links Road in Tooting to run the "ladder". Links is a long road that runs parallel to another road, Seely Road, and they have a bunch of alphabetical roads between them (starting with Ascot and ending with Jersey). The idea was to go fast on the alphabet roads, recovering a little at the Links/Seely ends, from Ascot to Jersey and back again. Then tempoish the full length of Links, slower at the end then tempoish back down Seely.
    So, after three warm-up miles, I did exactly that, then a recovery mile (including an uphill), a normal easy mile and then pushed a little (steady pace) on the last mile as I kind of got into a bit of a race with a bloke on Tooting Common. I'd almost catch up to him and then he'd take a short cut, then I'd catch up to him again and so forth until I eventually went past him. He was on my arse after that as he obviously didn't like being overtaken but I stayed ahead until I turned for home. Ha.
    10 miles total.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good idea to get this week's speed work done before the worst of the hot weather in the next few days.   

Even down here we've got a couple of days at 30ish coming 🥵  

Rest day for me today.   Only exercise will probably be a stroll to Italian restaurant for lunch with a friend.  :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve today started a slightly more advanced stretch routine, and it’s tough again.  Up until now I’ve just been doing a very basic beginner routine, but it’s time to change things up slightly I think. The instructor on YouTube makes it look so easy!  

I’ve been on Zwift this morning for an hour and will get along to the gym a bit later, hopefully.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hoping it's a little cooler than predicted,got a lot of running to do this week and work was pretty stressful last time.
    12 miles today,still keeping it slower but it felt pretty warm out.Managed to get an extra day off this week so should be a good week.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Hope you enjoyed the Italian. 

Ian - Highs of 36 down here later this wk

10 miles this evening after rest day yesterday. Disgustingly hot so was nice to jump in with the kiddies into their paddling pool after. They didn’t appreciate it mind. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sparked the pizza oven up for the first time this year this evening. Not sure why we’ve not used it yet this year, but we’ve been busy with other stuff I suppose. 

Didn’t manage to get to the gym today, but did 45mins this afternoon on Zwift, after the 1hr this morning. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Big G - you've done well progressing quite quickly to a more demanding stretch routine. 

Good luck today at the podiatrist, hope the scan is clear and you're healing.

Ian - I think this time round as temps not heading quite so high, people seem to be more used to it and not so much in panic mode.

Rcouture - the Italian was closed,  :o and we didn't know until we'd met up outside.   As far as I know the business is still open, it was a couple of days ago, and no notice on the door and everything looked as normal except no food on display.   He may have popped over to Italy for a holiday.   We had a delicious lunch in a nearby café instead.

Ha, ha at you finishing your run and getting in the paddling pool.   Warming up here too, most unpleasant.

OK right now a pleasant 15 degrees when I went out this morning.
  • You're lucky you have somewhere outside, Rcouture - I'm in a first floor flat so if I want a paddle, I have to do it in the bath.

Still pleasant first thing here too, Shades...just not so much later on. I wish we were on GMT so the sun would bugger off an hour earlier and make the night a smidge more comfortable. Anyway, did 7 recovery, trying to keep HR in the mid 130s.

Speaking of heart, I do have more appointments. I've got a phone appointment with the original cardiologist first week in September and then a bunch more tests (ECG, EEC, exercise test) on the Friday with the sports cardiologist (I don't imagine he's the one doing the tests but I'll be speaking to him after). This is the doc - his credentials are mighty impressive. https://www.topdoctors.co.uk/doctor/sanjay-sharma
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - lucky you, he certainly is the top man to see, and works for London Marathon too so any questions you have re marathon training he will be able to answer.

I guess you'll be able to get an accurate MHR too from the tests.

Lovely and cool in Aldi, I'm staying in for the rest of the day to avoid the sun/heat.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve decided I’m definitely not doing the 100MC marathon or Chester regardless of what the podiatrist says today, so I’ve cancelled the accommodation and I’m in the process of transferring my entry for Chester. I’ve emailed the 100MC race to see if I can transfer that entry as well. If I can’t do Nice-Cannes (end of Oct) I’m still going to travel to that. There’s a long way to go and there are options of only doing the Half for example, but even if I can’t run, I’m still planning on travelling to that one. Apart from Plym Trail for a friend’s 100th I’ve nothing else booked, which is good, and I’ve been lucky to recoup the vast majority of the money!

I did an hour on Zwift earlier and I’m heading to the gym shortly, before meeting a mate for lunch at a pub in the sun, that overlooks the bay here. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - always a touch of sadness having to cancel forthcoming events but a sensible decision.   And if by any chance you're well into your marathon training by the time they come round you could always rebook at short notice.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I can always do some other ones if I am back running. But the fact the race entries are gone now means I won’t be tempted to come back too early etc, so from that point of view it’s a good thing. My Chester place has already gone to someone from 100MC. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-What I like about Chester is its a straight transfer so the person buying it doesn't need to pay the price it is now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yes, I was quite impressed really. There were no extra fees, and it was a really smooth process.  The recipient sent me the money electronically, and I just had to enter her email address on the transfer form. She then received a link to fill out her details, and it was all done. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve been to the podiatrist and there is a very minor improvement in the thickness of the tendon, but very, very minor. He’s shown me how to strap my foot properly and also recommended some different tape, and he’s strapped it for me now. He’s adjusted my insoles slightly to see if that helps, and also told me to wear the night splint/sock when watching TV, and not to worry about not wearing it at night (I haven’t been wearing it at night as it was uncomfortable). Other than that, carry on with the exercises and stretches. He’s going to call me in a couple of weeks to see how I am getting on, but in the meantime carry on with cycling and gym work. He mentioned shockwave therapy but said to have that in the back pocket and to not try it yet. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Maybe mention on the next committee meeting,a lot easier for organisers than the DD process.
    Was you hoping for better news from the pod?
    10 miles after work,no getting away from the heat,tried to keep it easy but hard when it's this warm.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I wasn’t really hoping for better news - I would have been really surprised if he had said he’d thought it was much better. When I had the injection a month ago I was hoping I’d be back running but it hasn’t worked out that way for me, unfortunately. 

Yes, good idea!  I will definitely mention how easy the Chester process was in comparison to DD. I think you mentioned them, but the transfer was managed by Nifty for Chester. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well a minor improvement, however minor, is a small step forward.   You'll have read when researching PF that for many it's just a long time healing but it does heal.  I would imagine wearing the splint at night could be quite uncomfortable especially in this warm weather.  Hope the insole adjustment and taping speed up the healing.

You'd better sort that Zwift training plan then 😉
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes they are the biggest entry company up here,most races use them.obviously I don't know the cost but a lot of small races use them so I'm guessing they are reasonable.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Good that things seem to be going in the right direction at least. 

Just under 8 miles in feels like 29 down here this evening. Looking at the forecast of course it’s cooler weather and rain during our stay in Tenby the week after next which is textbook. 
  • Keith well done at the weekend, sensible decision on the Sunday! 

Cal glad you enjoyed Stevenage, running away from the town centre is probably the best bit of Stevenage! Looking forward to finally getting to JF on Saturday! 

Big B sorry to hear things aren’t as you’d hope, the sock seemed to work for me, I had 50/50 luck with it staying on at night some night so woke up and found I’d kicked it off.  The fact there has been some improvement must be positive and hope it gets stronger! 

Shades aldi air condition is a trick, they entice you in to shop 😆 I’m very careful with what I spend food shopping, elle on the other hand is a bloody nightmare! Been busy at work so Elles done a lot, we have prepared fruit and salad and expensive treats.  She’ll realised when I’m in Poland and there’s no money in the joint account 😉 

Rcouture think I’d prefer to have the rain that the heat in London! 

Ian well done on 10 miles in the warmth! Early mornings seem the only way to escape.

5 miles yesterday, mix of covid lurking, lack of fitness and mental block made it harder than I’d liked.  I’ve still got a cough and spoke with docs have got myself a couple of inhalers now.

had a busy weekend marshalling a tri sat and sun morning at st Neots, then went to run a half in the evening and was cancelled due to arson.  I was kinda glad as wasn’t feeling it and stopped for a few beers after with the ATW guys.

work been very busy, had a chat with my boss who seems really impressed with the way I’ve thrown myself in and got involved so that’s good, also encouraged to do overtime which is a new concept and been told it’s double time (not time and half which we originally thought).

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - It must be several years since I used Nifty for a race entry, maybe when I did Chester in 2014.   Often race entry companies seem to be fairly localised, no reason that they should be though.  Maybe from recommendation from local running clubs/race directors.

Rcouture - there's no significant rainfall forecast so should be fine for your holidays in Tenby.   

We are in dire need of rain down here, crops (and businesses) failing, never mind the knock on effect we'll all have from the increase in food prices due to the drought.

Robert - the supermarkets are definitely the best place for good aircon.   I wandered aimlessly round Asda for 5 minutes on Tuesday having already picked up the only thing I wanted, just for the cooling effect.

I'm fairly good when I go shopping, have a list and stick to it, only add one or two items not on the list.   I think as I go first thing in the morning less likely to be tempted.

Hope the cough clears up soon and other post Covid symptoms, tiredness etc.    I know you weren't really looking forward to your half marathon but that's such a shame race was cancelled due to arson.

Double time, that's worth having, especially if you want to save up for something special.   Don't wear yourself out though post Covid.   Good to hear your new bosses appreciate you.

6 miles this morning, the coolest part of the day I think 15-17 degrees and felt fairly fresh.   I'm having a low mileage week until this hot spell passes.

European championships starting today, no athletics yet.   The marathons are on Monday morning, I believe it's a public holiday that day in Munich so that's probably why not on a weekend as with most championship events.