Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big G love fish and chips! Something I don’t eat as often as I’d like.

Shades nice bit of climbing! 

Cal - great run getting 20 in! Always worth putting a £1 or £2 coin in a pocket to nip in somewhere to buy some water.

Did my double 10k, 1st lap 1.02 with a few photo stops.  Had 15 mins between the laps for a loo break and a bit of water before heading off again.

Felt reasonable, kept a fairly even pace between 9:02 and 9:17 for the first 5 miles (didn’t run with watch as couldn’t find it) slowed in the last mile but probably mental more than anything.  Finished in 57:48 felt okay but the real test will be later and how long I’m zonked out for on the sofa whether I’m recovered from covid 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a tough run in this weather.   I wondered whether you might have postponed it for a couple of days to take advantage of the cooler weather, although then you'd have the bother of more traffic then.

You've certainly earned a bag of crisps after that.   That's a lot of weight of someone of your size to lose during a run.

Robert - well done, that takes some mental discipline to run the race route pre race too.   Negative split too, you'll have earned a snooze on the sofa this afternoon.

Too much time on my hands this morning, ordered a pair of running shoes  😊   Only the 4th pair I've bought this year, honest, your honour.  😉

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Well done on doing 20 in this.
    Rob-Nice racing,doing a 10k after a 10k warm up is a good effort.
    Had a friend come over last night so we had a late night so I'm going to run late today,bit of rehydration to do before I run.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Shades - Nice hilly run

Cal - 20 in these conditions is some going. The wandle trail does have some decent spots for ‘privacy’ as long as you watch out for fishermen. 

Rob - Good job on the double 10k. Sofa recovery sounds good to me

16 miles for me. Went out at about 9 so way too late at feels like high 20s already at that time but I’ve been desperate for some sleep so that was a priority. The other issue with this weather is just the added faff of prepping for long runs with extra fluids, anti chafe etc… Anyway felt pretty horrific in the first half but better in the second. 61 miles this week. Will see how I feel after rest day tomorrow and cooler temps as right now I’m feeling knackered but it might just be the heat. Off on hols on Thursday anyway so will take it easy then. 
  • Rcouture...it was one of the little nature fields between Plough Lane and Collier's Wood. I normally bypass those and stick to the main path but, well, needs must. :lol:
    Well done on the 16. You went out just as I finished so it would've been roasting. Good mileage. I've done 53 this week myself (and just passed 1000 miles for the year) which is the longest this year, actually. Body is feeling it mind you.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - ha, ha, hope you've been able to clear the hangover 😉

Rcouture - phew must have been a hot run.  Hopefully weather will start to break tomorrow, should be down to 25 for us down here.

Cal - a fairly tough week's training for you.  Hope you've managed to rehydrate after this morning's run.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I'm all good now.
    Managed 10 miles this afternoon,bit of cloud cover made it seem reasonable, that's 61 for last week so I'm going to have an easier week leading into my half next Sunday as that's 179m in 3 weeks.So that really means that's Antwerp training done,I have a few short races over the next 4 weeks to sharpen up,interesting to see how my times are.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - glad you've recovered and did your final run of the bulk of your Antwerp training.   Yes, will be interesting to see how you do in the shorter races, hopefully cooler weather too so the heat won't affect your results.

Rest day for me today.   I told myself I would ditch the rest day and go out for a short run if it was raining, or even had been raining but all still dry and dusty out there.    

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Totalled up my miles.Before Berlin I had done 512m over the 12 weeks before taper(42.6) and with this I've done 579(48.2) so a decent increase.The plan originally had 47 as the target so slightly above,I had a 32m week a few weeks ago that cost me getting to 50.
    Average pace is about 10s/m quicker and a slightly lower heart rate so all in all I should be in better shape when it comes to racing.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's great stats and I expect this year's training has been done in hotter weather so there's possibly an even better pace and a lower HR. 😀

We've had a few drops of rain and the sky is very dark and it's cooling down. 😁
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great news, Ian. It’s all pointing in the right direction. 

We were a bit early to the ferry terminal and they managed to squeeze us on the earlier ferry, which was a result - we were the last vehicle on. Going to head to Montacute House in Somerset on the way back home. 

Had a great few days over here - went to The Needles yesterday and had a look around the old barracks there, which was great, and a NT site. Cowes was really nice too - much nicer than I was anticipating. 

I had been over to IoW before, in 2009. About 80 of us came over in our Caterhams and stayed in pretty basic accommodation but we had a good time then as well. 

• You have one of those, Big G?

Ian, sounds promising! 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Cal, I had one. The yellow one in that pic was mine, but I sold it in 2014. 
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sounds like you had a great time on IoW

Ian - You really have prepped well. I’m hoping I get to a similar point of consistency. 

Speaking of which my resting HR is wild at the mo, averaging 42-44 bpm the last 3-4 weeks which is about 3-5bpm lower than its ever been consistently. Hopeful this bodes well for fitness rather than some cardiac issue! Rest day today. Haven’t and won’t have watched any of the European champ athletics or marathons by tomorrow when I’m wfh so look forward to having that in the background. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture- that's great news on your waking RHR stats.   It's quite normal for changes to seem quite dramatic, you'll have noticed the same with MAF pace.

I remembered I had a similar occurrence with my RHR in 2010 (my purple patch year) so I've just dug out my training diary for that period...

13th July I recorded lowest ever RHR of 44
    24th July I recorded lowest ever RHR of 40

I knew I was in good shape so thought I'd better do a long run as I had a marathon coming up, did a 20 miler on 25th July and recorded it as my best long run ever as I felt strong for the whole run.   Following morning RHR was still a good 44 and I ran doubles on that day and the next.

31st July marathon PB by nearly 7 minutes
    8th August another marathon PB by 4 minutes

I did go on to do further PB's that year but didn't record as low as 40 for waking RHR's again.

I've never been to Munich but from the marathon course it looks lovely and I think they selected a really good route.   Enjoy watching them today (WFH  ;)) great finishes in the men's and the women's.  Championship races are great viewing.

8 miles this morning in glorious rain, it's really humid, in the 90's, but the rain has a lovely cooling effect as it was steady for most of my run.   I even saw a couple of puddles forming   :o

New shoes should arrive today  :smile:
  • I heard a light rain around 4am...I'd been tossing and turning since 3 so just got up. But there was no sign of it when I went out, just humidity. Wish it would rain properly but the sun's come out again. 😩
    I did a recovery run (although without the chest strap so just went on feel) but had GI issues again so the last mile was a bit faster (and so HR a bit higher) than ideal. I think the heat and resulting dehydration has messed up my electrolytes a bit which is causing problems. Suffice to say, any time I've had runner's trots or gut pain while running it's been during summer or warm weather. Better hope I have a nice cool day for Chester.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you did drop a huge chunk of weight during your long run on Sunday, I'm sure it would take a little while longer for your body to restore levels to normal.   

Is your waking RHR back to normal today?   That's always a good sign of recovery from a hard session.
  • It was 46 most of last week but 47 since (and including) Sunday. I actually don't get a lot of variation - it goes gradually up and down depending on fitness levels. When I was feeling poorly a few weeks ago, HR was no different than normal. Likewise when my gum was sore.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - are you counting your average RHR or your waking RHR?  So after a tough long run/race you could expect a rise the following morning.   As runners I think average RHR throughout the day is much less  meaningful as many things can affect it, stress, being sedentary, dozing off etc., so the data can be flawed.

Not all infections/illnesses affect RHR.  A cold, Covid, or overtraining and/or dehydration certainly could.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Seen the end of the men's marathon,great finish.
    I've entered a local 5k tomorrow to see how it feels,I know it will hurt as they all do.Ideally I'd like to be around 19 then might target a faster one a week Friday.
    Be weird to run that fast again,hopefully.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - will be a good test a 5km , I'm sure you'll fly round.

Is it this weekend you have a half lined up?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Think ill get the pacing wrong either way as its been so long since I've raced one.
    Yes on Sunday we are in Fleetwood for the half,nice flat course but a lot is along the coast so hoping for a non windy day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that sounds very similar to the marathon course when I ran at Fleetwood.

Can't help re the pacing of the 5km, still avoiding doing my debut 5km event 😉

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    10 miles,felt as good as I'd want it to really.
    Looked at this race previously and I've gone sub 18 here before,think I'll be happy with sub 19 and a negative split,hard to do in a 5k so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.There's a lot if speedies do it so will always be someone to pull you along.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Nice 10 and good luck tomorrow. 

Shades - I’d love a purple patch like that. Feels like aerobically I’m in the right place but still doubts over my puny muscles and tendons. 

Just under 10 miles this eve.  Very humid but was just nice to have anything different to recent conditions. The Common looked like it was lapping it up. Was under 10 as like Cal I also had some G.I. ‘irregularities’. Must be something in the water down in SW London. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck at the 5K, Ian. 

Got back from IoW yesterday afternoon, and after unpacking the van and tidying up a bit, jumped on Zwift. Also Zwifted twice today, and went along to the gym. 

Nothing to report here really, but still reading everything :) 
  • Big G how has the food been generally is there any pain still? You still getting the same feeling pre injection at all?

Ian good luck with the 5k tomorrow

Shades that’s impressive never having ran a 5km, I’ve only ran a few and don’t really enjoy them.  Hope you happy with the shoe purchase.

Rcouture have to agree much better to run in these conditions.

Cal hope these few cooler days regulate things! 

Pleased with recovery from Sunday’s runs.  I didn’t get the crash and burn I was expecting so must be recovering from covid.

Managed to finish work at 5pm tonight so got out and ran 5 miles, felt sluggish and legs a bit tight.  

Getting ready for Poland, booked tickets for Auschwitz museum/ tour and got tickets for a football match too. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Ian - good luck for tonight, is this your PB course?

Rcouture - you don't want Popeye muscles for running.  ;)  You do more strength work than most of the runners I know.

Robert - I don't really remember there being many 5km races around when I started running and if there had I still wouldn't have been interested.   I've done a few 4 mile races as part of the IOM Grand Prix but the shortest race I've ever entered separately and travelled to is a local 5 miler.    That was when I had my own running club and took a group for their first race.

My friend who is visiting the IOM this week texted me to say she'd done the Peel Hill race on Monday night, this is one of the races in the race series, she'd ran the half the day before.   When I used to do the week's races this was the race I worried about most and would think about it when I was doing the marathon the day before, it's very hilly and mostly off road.   Now she's thinking that next year she'll do all the week's races as she has a big birthday coming up, I know she's going to ask if I'll do it too.  Not keen as races are different now than when I did it and they've even introduced a one mile race which is uphill and off road  :'(

That's great news that you didn't crash after Sunday's run.  That must have been a great confidence booster.

Is Elle going to Poland with you?

5 miles this morning, dry but very humid.   I didn't really want heavy rain for my run as new shoes today, Nimbus 24.   I'm sort of on the hunt for a new marathon race shoe.   I was about to buy a pair of NB1080's v12 but in the review on RunRepeat where they hack the shoe to pieces they discovered the pair they had only had a drop of 3mm instead of the supposed 8mm.   Of course that could just be a rogue batch/shoe but made me cautious about buying a pair now at that sort of price.

Never tried the Nimbus before, lovely stretchy tongue, and the softest cushioning I've ever run in.   I can see why some of the reviews said they had been purchased to help with their PF, but you do tend to see that in reviews for most cushioned shoes.   Sufferers of PF often buy different shoes to help them while they recover.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, it’s not really feeling any different compared to before the injection. I do have some good days, sometimes 2 or 3 in a row, but then for whatever reason it can be a bit uncomfortable again the next day. 

Shades, I saw the 1080V12 have changed the design of the heel, which is unfortunate for me, as the heel on the v10 is what drew me to them in the first place. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the heel fit on the v12 is getting very positive reviews and shouldn't affect your achilles heel.   I guess you'd need to try on a pair in a shop to verify that they would still be comfortable for you.