Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did see a Nike model (off hand I can’t recall the particular model) that had a flared heel as well, so I was thinking about looking into that one when the time comes. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - is your achilles still troublesome?  

I've got another pair of NB's with the flared heel, Fresh Foam More.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Is the Nova not doing it for you after all then?

Just under 8 miles at lunch. OH and the girls headed off to Wales yesterday but I couldn’t get out of a client project so joining them tomorrow. Plan before I drive out is to do a 20 miler tomorrow morning, or as long as I feel ok given 16 miler Sunday, then do just over a week of lower mileage over hols. I’ve had 10 weeks of above 40mpw and steadily rising every week so am hopeful this down week does me good ahead of Big Half and last push to Chicago. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I really like Nova 2's but they won't become a marathon race shoe for me.  I still haven't done a hilly run in them, I think I might find them a little unstable on steeper downhills.  I also find them a little unstable on uneven ground and I think in a marathon as I tire that could be an issue.  I have enough NB1080's for all of this year's races but I need to plan ahead as it may take some time, and money, to find a replacement.

A step back week will do you good, you've done a very consistent block of training.   You've done plenty of long runs so not really necessary to squeeze in a 20 miler tomorrow, but up to you.

Have a lovely holiday 😀
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Shades - Yeah I can’t wear the novas for anything aside from easy runs and I’ve not got the hills you do so can’t compare them there. I’d be interested in how you get on with the Nimbus as think I looked at them but they’ve got gel in them right? I didn’t get on with ASICS gel shoes in the past but maybe that’s changed. 

I’ll see how I get on with the long run tomorrow. I actually enjoy them and since I’m home alone and off work, I’ve got nothing better to do before my drive. Funny that before my running which wasn’t so long ago, it would have been straight out to the pub tonight in similar circumstances!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - some of my marathons are hilly or undulating, I'm not so keen on pancake flat courses.

The Nimbus might not suit you, the drop in the men's is 10mm and in the women's a chunky 13mm.   I got in a muddle when I was doing my research, the Cumulus have an 8mm drop the Nimbus 10/13mm.

I still have a list of potential other shoes too to try out, this is going to be fun and expensive research.

How we change, night out in the pub or 20 mile run..no contest really 😉

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I occasionally get some tightness in the achilles still, but it doesn’t stop me running as it’s manageable. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Rcouture-I know the feeling,I went out Saturday but the old days it would have turned in to a messy one,but this week I was thinking I want to run tomorrow so I'll have an odd shandy.
    Here in plenty of time as I had to come straight from work,very easy park and number pick up,time to dust the fast legs off.
    Shades-Forgot to say,no this isn't my PB course,it's fast but next week is faster,undecided whether to do that yet.
  • Options
    Good luck Ian!
    Well, I was meant to be doing double figures again today but legs said no. Canned the run at two miles. I've had a couple of big weeks in hot weather which has affected my sleep so the obvious thing is that I'm just tired.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, I occasionally get some tightness in the achilles still, but it doesn’t stop me running as it’s manageable. 
    Big G - makes sense to always be a bit cautious re shoe changes then.

Cal - these warm nights are rubbish for getting any decent sleep.   That combined with the dehydration/GI issues, no wonder you're tired.  

Ian - hope it went well and wasn't too unpleasant.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    As tough as expected really.As always I went off to fast,up the only slight incline for the 1st km in 3:37,that's 18 flat pace,decided just to hurt as if I crash I've only a mile or 2 to struggle,next 2 km I'm 3:47 and 3:45 and digging in now,3:51 for the 4th and I had nothing left for the downhill finish,dragged it out for a 3:51 last km to finish in 18:54 chip time.
    About where I suspected I'd be,but would probably have been a little faster with better pacing.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian. It’s tough to get the pacing right, especially as you’ve not done one for a while. A great time, you have a gauge for the next one now as well. 

I did a couple of Zwift sessions today, and have the Team Time Trial on there tomorrow. 

Went along to Trotters this evening as they were doing a new team pic for the website, as the last one was a few years old. I didn’t eat there but met up for a couple of drinks when they all came back from their sessions, and it was nice to catch up. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well done.  Good to have your expected level of fitness confirmed and know a little more there with different pacing.   However, you're not selling these 5km races, maybe I'll never do one  ;)

Big G - are Trotter's club numbers getting closer to pre pandemic levels now?

Races are still struggling for numbers, I see two more gone out of business in the last week or so, Aspire and Beyond Events.   I've done a couple of Beyond Events races in the past but stopped when you had to carry your own water, very limited drink stations.  They were lovely courses though.  I don't know anything about Aspire.

Saw a post on FB from Jolly Running and she has very honestly said she is struggling due to low entries.  

8 miles today, flat.   Nice run but legs tired in last couple of miles, I did a tough gym session yesterday.   Very humid today but not too unpleasant as there was a low lying mist for the first half of my run and that was cool to run though.   After 2 days of a few rain showers already can see the grass recovering, amazing.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, our numbers are still down, but still fairly healthy in terms of a good bunch of people who train regularly. At the recent Erme Valley Relays (which is a fabulous event) there was a large Trotters presence with I think almost 50 runners, and there are about 30-40 at tomorrow’s Torbay relays I think. At Erme Valley, Trotters used it as a race for a small group of the Couch to 5K runners. I think they came last, but they didn’t care, which is great. One challenge we do have is moving on, and retaining, the couch to 5K runners to actually join the club and get involved in the other groups. It’s a bit of a learning experience for the club - John Skinner does the coaching and by all accounts is doing a great job, but as I say, encouraging them on to the ‘main’ groups is a challenge I think.  Also timing the couch to 5K ‘courses’ is a bit of trial and error, as I think the summer edition was really low numbers in comparison to the spring version, so I think they are going to tweak the schedule in the future. 

In terms of numbers, Chair was going to cancel the anniversary party as initially take up was really, really low. But I think in the end over 100 tickets were sold, so it went ahead. I can’t really talk as I don’t get too involved with the social side of the club, but there isn’t as much interest in that side of things, and also getting volunteers from the club for our races is also increasingly difficult. 

I was going to go along to spectate tomorrow at the relays but we are going to a comedy show in Torquay - Nish Kumar. 

I’m helping out at Torbay parkrun on Saturday. They are also really struggling for volunteers it seems, every, single week. It’s not just summer related, but for a few months you can almost sense the organisers pleading for helpers in the emails that go out (pre pandemic, the emails asking for help weren’t as regular, as they used to fill the roster more easily). 
  • Options
    It's rather sad...you'd think people would be itching to get back to racing after the pandemic. But I think the cost of living crisis is also biting...travel (particularly petrol for those driving) is a lot, and race entries are basically a luxury so people who want to race are going to be more discerning.
    I like a 5K actually, Shades, but I rarely do them as I can parkrun for free. 

Managed to haul myself out for a run this morning and got 12 miles done. Should have been 14 but given my sluggish legs, niggles and the humidity, which was awful (no cooling mist here), I figured 12 would have to do. I averaged a pitiful 12 minute miles but there were some steep hills on that route.  Not the nicest run but miles in the bank, I guess.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good numbers for the relay events.   I would imagine Skins is the perfect guy for encouragement for beginners doing Couch to 5k, even if you were lying in the gutter he would still have a kind and enthusiastic comment to make.

I saw a few posts from PF on FB asking for parkrun volunteers for Exeter, I assumed it was just a summer thing and folk on holiday but as his requests were starting to sound urgent, I do sense that there's some disillusionment from some of the volunteers.   I know one girl, goes to my gym, she's an ex Trotter, volunteers at parkrun.  She does it with good heart but having to pay for parking every time is starting to grate on her so I think she's not going to help out so often.

When I was a Trotter I rarely went to any of the social events, that was because of the behaviour of the core members as soon as they had a drink, you'll know what and who I mean.

Cal - I think it goes a lot deeper than cost of living crisis, although that must now be another contributory factor.  Race numbers were down well before that and at races where they have deferred entries brought forward, those runners, even if local (so no travel costs) are not turning up to race.   I think a lot have just got out of the habit of racing and if they've not gone back to their running club are less likely to be encouraged to take part in events either.

I think there's a big difference between doing a 5k race and running a parkrun, which is not a race.

Well done on the MLR, maybe you should have done a shorter distance, sounds like you've still not quite  recovered from Sunday. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've decided to not do the fast 5k next week,I'm happy enough with where I am so don't need to test it anymore,just a half and 10k over the next few weeks.

Cal-I heard over the weekend that Steph is giving competitive running up? Think the injuries lately and she has a new job has added up.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I don't blame you for ditching next week's 5km.   You don't need another so soon and the half and 10km will be more meaningful re your forthcoming marathon.

Legs OK today?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yes all good,not even a twinge in the achilles which is always my worry.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Ian - Great run, you really are coming into form just in time. Like Shades, the 5k has absolutely not been sold to me though 😬

Went out and decided to do 17m in the end with 5m at marathon pace near the end. Hard and unpleasant as expected but perceived effort and heart rate felt good for this point in the block. I’m not actually sure exactly what MP is but I targeted around 7:10min/mi. I know others swear by it but I’m still not entirely sure of the value of these MP long runs. When i did them for Florence and Copenhagen they were just hard but didn’t seem to make race pace on the day feel easy either. Comparatively my first mara when I did tempos every week but no MP runs, race pace felt surprisingly easy on the day as everything in training was either much faster or much slower. Will see how Chicago goes then reconsider for the next mara. Anyway pretty tired and feels like a good way to end this part of the training block into hols. 
  • Options
    Ian, I've not heard that but then I'm not really in the loop with the elites in my club. Her boyfriend is a triathlete and I know she fancies giving that a go.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Ian - that's very good about the achilles, that pace puts you right up on your toes so always a risk.

Rcouture - well done on your long run.  I don't swear by MP on long runs at all.   When I ran all my PB's I never trained at MP ever and IMHO it's not necessary.

But I did race, at least once a month or more, often three times a month, not throughout whole training period but in the last couple of months.

Enjoy your holiday, hope the traffic is OK.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Have a good break.
    I enjoy MP runs,but I tend to run them to Marathon effort rather than pace,but when I'm in the groove they are great.I will be doing some over the next few weeks to nail down my pace.
    Like Shades I like racing in the last few weeks,good to see the training kicking in.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    What a glorious bunch. Probably I should have had a haircut and a shave!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - nice photo, can't be easy getting that amount of runners to stay still and turn up in race kit!

You do look like you've been away from civilisation for a while  ;)  in a sort of good holiday way.

When I retired I thought IT problems would be a thing of the past.  :#  But a few weeks ago my newish printer refused to scan, I don't scan much stuff but today have received important docs to scan.  Just spent 2 frustrating hours trying to fix it, almost ready to just go and buy another printer and then finally success, scanner now working.    Then I spot an error on one of the documents which I need the originator to correct so hope scanner is still working by the time they make the correction.   :#
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Legs felt great all day but went for 7 after work and can feel some tiredness in there from last night.
    My drama of the day,I've spent weeks deciding on my Tokyo flights,finally picked and booked on Sunday via Zurich, got an email off Swiss today saying my flight home will now be later so I'll miss the connecting flight so I've got the refund and start looking again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's pretty good recovery from your race.

How frustrating that after all that deliberation and planning for Tokyo, now you have to go through that again.   At least you still have plenty time, but it's a very time consuming task.

When I entered my first 100km race, I entered about 10 months before the race and booked the hotel at the same time.   The race is in a village in Co Galway and there is only one hotel which was about half a mile to the race venue.    I was so pleased to have sorted all that out early, then I got a phone call to say the hotel had burnt down and wouldn't be open in time for the race and had to book a hotel several miles away in the nearest town.

8 very sweaty hilly miles today, nice and cool but very humid and no breeze.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Ian, bad news about the flights. Hopefully there are other options for you. 

Shades, Chair sorted out the photo. He’d set some picnic tables up, and got us all lined up. He asked us to be there at 6:45 and most people were, and training started on time at 7. Suzie M took the pic (bottom left) - if you look closely you can see she is holding something that triggered the camera, which she’d set up on a tripod in advance. 84 were there I think. 

Zwift race yesterday morning and I thought that following an easy hour yesterday afternoon my legs would be fine for a session today. But within 10mins they were saying ‘errrm, not today, thanks very much!’ so I quit the session and did another easy hour instead. 

Vuelta starts today :) Having enjoyed seeing TdF live, I did (very briefly) look to see if I could get over and see a stage or two. The race is starting in Netherlands for 3 days, but I couldn’t make that work, and then I looked at Alicante but couldn’t make that work either. 

Got to be at parkrun tomorrow at 7:30 to check the course…..
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Suzie is a great photographer.  84 is a good turnout.

You're doing well with the Zwift training, must be hot indoors in this weather.   Or have you moved into the garden?

Thanks for the reminder re Vuelta, I will set up to record the highlights.

That's an early start at parkrun for course checking, but I suppose you have to walk the whole course.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, today’s race doesn’t start until about 5:30pm I think. It’s a Team Time Trial, and haven’t seen one of those in a Tour for a while. Regarding Zwift, I’m indoors still but I did move my setup to a cooler room as in the afternoon it gets no sun, so is much better than the original room.  It does mean the ‘office’ isn’t really usable as an office any more though!