Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Wow - Snaps what an inspirational tale. How we all understand what each other is feeling. There I was getting really scaredy cat thought in my head that I just would not be able to run in the end at all, turn back into lump of lard that I once was - blah, blah blah... and as you all know and understand the thought of that is somewhat upsetting! But then I come on-line and read your story and think ''I am not giving up''. No way on this earth. This is a little hiccup and I will sort it out.

So off to the pod next week to see what he makes of my feet!

I'm going to try and run on Sunday. I can always turn back....

• shades, how can I change the way long runs are programmed? as you told me I'll be ruuning 12m this sunday rather than 14.
  • I managed the 12 miles. Had a few shin problems for the first couple of miles but loosened my laces which seemed to do the trick! The weather wasn't very kind, it's very windy and rainy but on the whole I had an enjoyable plod. Another one under the belt :))
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mokina - the plan has 2 x 18 milers and 2 x 20 milers. It's not crucial that you do all of these, just build up the distance as you're doing so you would do:-

Longer runs
    16 (plan has 18)

tiredgirl - well done on your 12 miles in rotten weather, hope your shins are OK now.

• Well I managed a 11 mile run today, for some reason I thought it was 14 mile until I read the plan again, It was 10 mile.
    Last week it was suppose to be a 12 mile run and I did 13, I seem to add a mile for some reason.

Just 1 question = The most I have run in my training for this years FLM is the 13 mile last week. Next week I am planned to do a 14 mile, Can I do a 16 the week after and then A 30k (19mile)the week after that or would I be pushing my look. I was planned to be running a12 mile and then a 18 mile the week after.
  • Sammy - remember to take a few "easy weeks" :-)
  • Well done on your run tiredgirl - hope you feel ok tomorrow

Scooby - hope the visit to the podiatrist helps you further and good to know you're already doing the right things re your ankle.
  • I went to see the Podiatrist today. He has made some changes to my orthotics so hopfully I will see a little less pain in my Right Foot & Knee.

Do we all get niggles at this time of year ??

I will make sure my milage does not go up to much each week. I do Rest on my rest days. The trouble is I have to make the most of my training on my 4 days off.
    I can get a short run in whilst I am working on my 4 days on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sammy - let's hope the change to your orthotics works, take it easy.

and yes, we all get niggles and colds at this time of year, unfortunate part of arathon training.

I've had a niggle in my knee but that has cleared up due to the enforced rest when I was ill.
  • Shades - I have received your training plan and will have a study over the weekend, along with a read of the thread.
    Thanks
  • Shades - Thanks.
    Do you think the 30k will be ok in 3 weeks if I run 14 long this week then 16 long the week after ?
  • Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Yep, we all get niggles in marathon training. I had a knee problem in the build up to Paris last year. I've had an ankle niggle for the past 2 weeks. It will be my first FLM so I'm thinking about ringing the physio. Weird thing is, I don;t notice it much when I'm running, even when doing fast stuff. It niggles all the rest of the time though, or maybe I'm just thinking about it too much! Did a fast run on Monday (5 miles @ 7:24 pace) then 14 miles of muddy XC on Wednesday as my long run and an occasional niggle - that's all. I'm in a race tomorrow though over 6 miles so we'll see what happens.

Scoobs - How dare the physio even think of suggesting not doing Paris! And no, you're not going to "turn into a lump of lard". Fingers crossed for you that the podiatrist will sort you out in plenty of time for you to be ready for for further glory on Avenue Foch. Hope the Sunday run goes well.
  • Managed 14 miles today with an average mile time of 12:13 (so slap bang in the middle of 11:40-12:40) and apart from 1 mile where I had to pop into the leisure centre to use the facilities (12:58) and the very last mile (11:29) they were all within the range. I did feel pooped at the end but seem to have recovered quickly!

mmm...yes, I think niggles are all part of marathon training - at the physio last week re shins but need to work on tight calves so fortunately not something to stop the running....

Hope everyone's OK
  • Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Have just thought...hope you guys don't mind me crashing this thread, as I'm not doing the "Shades" program, although I am "only" running 4 times a week, which is much less than other marathon programmes suggest. Yet 4 times a week got me a 3:53 in my first marathon attempt. Personal experience has shown me my body only tolerates me running 4 times a week max!
  • Well done Mr Bump - that's a great time (I will die of happiness if I ever go under 5 hours!) - no problem with joining in here!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sammy - i would not increase your mileage every week but every fortnight, a step back week gives your body time to adjust and as you have a couple of niggles you need to nurture yourself.

I would suggest 14, 12, then the 30k - is that a race?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sian - fab pacing and a very swift loo stop too!

Mr bump - of course you are welcome here, marathon virgins will appreciate your input.
  • Hey all!

Wow - well done to you all on your runs!

tiredgirl - thanks for your story too, makes one feel less lonely! Well done on your run, good to hear shins settled down for you. Hope they're ok now. Which marathon are you doing - London?

Sammy - well done on your ''mile extra' run! Sounds like things are going really well for you. I like the drop down weeks, as it's a nice feeling to think after a long long run that the next weeks is shorter, before upping it again. Also this does give the old body a chance to recover and regenerate too!

SianH - fantastic pacing! Right within the pace suggested. Well done on your 14 miles!

Does anyone else actually like the ''pooped'' feeling that Sain describes so well! Or am i just a total weirdo! I really like that weary feeling of having worked hard! :0)

Mr Bump, join us, I believe we had quite a good thread going last April, it would be goood if we could achieve that again! And I WANT your time!

I'm yo-yoing at the moment about running tomorrow as legs sore when walking so head is saying don't be silly, but heart is saying get out there! I think on this occasion the head might actually win. But if it does I will go for a long long cycle with lots of hills and ensure it is double the distance of my planned run for good measure! So 32 miles cycle for me probably!

Shall we start a list of what mara's we are planning on doing then?

• Scooby - best not. I might frighten myself :-)
  • Shades - yes the 30k is my next race.
  • Scooby - it does make it easier when you know you're not alone, that's why I love these forums :))

Yes I am doing London. I did it last year and desperately want a sub 5 this year (managed 5:11 last year - 1st marathon.) I feel much stronger mentally this year as well so I'm hoping it will come together better....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a really good idea about a list as I keep forgetting who's training for what marathon...

also a chance for forumites to meet up.

I'll start the list, just copy and paste adding your name.

Duchy 12th March
    Shades

Paris 9th April

FLM 23rd April

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades

• Duchy 12th March
    Shades

Paris 9th April

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    tiredgirl - how are the legs?
  • Duchy 12th March
    Shades

Paris 9th April

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl
    Mokina

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades
    Send to friend
  • Have added myself to the list - like tiredgirl would love sub-5 (as that's what my 10 mile and 10k times suggest might be possible) but the marathon is an unpredictable game so as it's FLM will just enjoy the atmosphere and aim to get round.

Duchy 12th March
    Shades

Paris 9th April

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl
    SianH

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades
  • I'll join the list as I am following a three day plan as well (though a bit modified).

REMEMBER TO CUT AND PASTE THE LATEST VERSION OF THE LIST IF YOU ADD YOUR NAME

Duchy 12th March
    Shades

Paris 9th April

FLM 23rd April
    Tiredgirl
    SianH
    Snapstinget

Lochaber 23rd April
    Shades

Copenhagen 21st May
    Snapstinget
  • Duchy 12th March