Gordon Pirie Book

Comments

• Thought I would bump this back up as I haven't seen a mention of the Pirie site for a while and the free book may be of interest to some - esp. with all the talk of Pose and now Chi Running.

http://www.gordonpirie.com

The free book (it's a pdf file) is actually worth reading if you print it out.
  • 'Tis a good read in parts (although he comes across as a bit too full of himself).

A lot of what he says is very good common sense, and good to know that things like Pose and Chi Running are just people trying to put a clearer methodology to what Pirie was saying, even if they differ on some small aspects of technique.

I think Gordon would have liked my Puma H-Streets.
  • In addition to the online book, there is a biography about Gordon Pirie, more about the runner and his background. Definately, not a base trainer :)
  • I think I've always been a heel striker but am making an effort to move to forefoot running. I've bought some nike frees and will start running in those shortly. Is it advisable for me to buy something like the H-streets straight away, or work my way towards them using some racing flats first?
  • I like Fila racers as a staging post Matt - they aren't all that minimalist, quite a broad sole, and not as flexible as some racers - but they are low profile and pretty light. I can do a half or a long run in them no problem whereas I know about it if I try and do that in my NB racers.

I think the flexibility of a shoe is what takes some adapting to more than the lack of cushioning - although ultimately I think the closer you can get to running barefoot without problems the better.
  • I have a pair of Nike Free, but would not consider running in them. They are very flexible, but I would break my bones if I run 3 miles in them, can't imagine doing a 10 miler!

For flats I have the Mizuno Revolver, they feel pretty good and are reasonable flat, I use them for 5k and on the track. For 10k I rather prefer another shoes, as the flats are too hard and had problems a few times.

Where did you get the Puma H-Streets from? I haven't seen them in shops here.
  • URR - www.shoe-shoop.com. You can get them for as little as £25 if you don't care how garish the colour scheme is!

Some people go through a transitional phase of ever-lighter shoes. I'm going in at the deep end from Saucony Grid Trigons straight to H-Streets. The thinking (rightly or wrongly) is that to get my technique right I want as little heel cushioning as possible from the outset.
  • SVT- How long have you been using H-streets? How far do you run in them? What can you use for offroad runs?
    I am also tempted to jump in at the deep end.
  • For people that really want a lightweight shoe pop into any army stores and buy a pair of pumps.
  • Matt - erm, 1.61 miles to date! I'm not exactly the most experienced forefoot runner out there, having started yesterday. I've been planning it for months - just had to get the marathon out of the way first!

For off-road runs, your average fell shoe fits the bill of minimal midsole but decent grip. Walshs, Mudrocs and NB RX-Terrains(?) are all good bets. I use Flyrocs, just because they're a bit more suitable for off-road with a little road use.
  • MtB

The transition can take a while and I think you have to be pretty committed. After 2 years I can't go back to heel striking as it now feels totally unnatural. It can take a long time to learn to land softly, but when you've got it, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is on the knees. The best site I've found to help is www.runningbarefoot.org, and if you can find a decent barefoot running surface, you'll find out what pirie et al are on about.
    The H streets do take some getting used to, and my advice is to work down to them via lightweight trainers. (For me I found a pair of Saucony team tayas did the trick - even now the cushioning's gone they're still what I use for faster club runs when I'm likely to lose my form).
  • Tried running on my teos on Wednesday night. Feels wierd to begin with but soon felt like I was lighter and springier. Calves were still tight from marathon though. Will stick at it.
  • Matt - probably just a question of terminology, but don't try running on the toes as much as the forefoot/midfoot - i.e. forward of the heel but not actually on the toes.
  • I'm pretty sure I am now usually landing on my midfoot rather than heel. Difficult to feel in my Mizuno wave riders. Might have a look at some of those FILA racers.
    Not sure I like landing on my midfoot, don't really notice any benefit so am trying to move slightly forward onto forefoot.
  • Forgot about this thread. It's now 2 years since I converted to f/foot strike & I've never looked back. I run c 30 miles per week mixed road/xc & have never had an injury since the conversion. I use Walshes for xc in the wet, and Nike ACGs (windsurfer shoes) for dry xc or road. They've done 250 miles so far & there's plenty left. My Phantoms are ok, but there's too much heel.
  • Are any of you forefoot runners big build or are you all spritely stick insects?
  • Matt,

I'm 5ft 10ins, sprinter's build (ex 100m sprint track, 50m sprint crawl/breast stroke) and weigh 12st - Daley Thomson looking pale
  • Matt - 5'8", 11st 10lbs (but decreasing)
  • 5' 9" and 10st7, but prone to injuries due to genuine leg length discrepancy and motorbike injury. All gone since forefoot striking!
  • 6' 6" and 85 kgs.  If swapping over I seriously recommend running in Newton Gravity shoes (£130 though!!) and then move to racing flats once, like me, you get it sussed. If I could justifiy Newtons (price) I'd run in them all the time.  I now run in Nike racing flats and put a 2mm Noene insert in each shoe.  For £120 I can get two pairs of shoes to rotate and I really like running in them. 

I changed to mid-foot proper at the start of this year and since then I've recored PBs in 10k; Half and Full Marathon and getting a good for age at the lumpy Angelsey marathon.

I must say though that another big help to me this year has been wearing Skins. 

• Just got one thing to say  - go read "Born to Run" by Chris McDougall.

Easy, light, smooth,and fast - that's your new running mantra.

• I've heard about it - is it any good for getting a sub-36 minute 10k? image
  • Chris McDougall would have had far fewer injuries in the first place if he'd lost some weight!
  • Only just found this thread and haven't read any of the posts. I actually saw Gordon racing at Motspur Park when I was a youngster. He didn't win and I can't remember who any of the other runners were. I do remember him puffing out his cheeks, hence his nick name "Puff Puff Pirie."
  • Got this book up in my loft, need to have a look at it over the Christmas holidays.

Cheers for this thread !

• McDougall's book does a fine job though in promoting the kind of running action you all seem to be in favour of.  I've been switching over gradually over the past couple of weeks and whenever I forget and slip back into old form I keep telling myself easy, light, smooth, leave no trace - haven't got to "fast" yet but willing to see what happens.

I too began running in plimsolls and then Green Flash, also very thin orienteering shoes and never had any injuries, unlike since.

• Fantastic thread and it all makes so much sense! Returning to running after 2 years out with injury and am looking at ways to prevent any problems occuring. This looks like the way to go but which shoes to buy??
  • Linky to a pdf of the book, for those who find the initial link dead and don't want to sift through google results:

http://edwardedmonds.com/wp-content/uploads/Running-Fast-and-Injury-Free-by-Gordon-Pirie-Adapted-Version.pdf

Fascinating (and relatively short) read.

• Well 9 years later after starting this thread, I've been a fairly intermittent runner in that time.

I initially did really well running further and faster than ever before without any injuries for about 5 years after changing to FF style. In that time I got through 3 pairs of NB RC150's which served extremely well for this technique.

About 4 years ago I suffered a twisting injury to my knee which has plagued me ever since and really curtailed my running. For 2 years I gave up altogether and then have run intermittently for the past 2 years and never really getting up to anything more than 10 miles a week. I know have renewed enthusiasm and hoping to get going properly again.

Luckily in that time, the whole 'barefoot running' concept has caught on and now manufacturers are offering lots of suitable footwear so I've just bought a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves to replace my now very aged last pair of RC150's. Calf's are killing me but that's to be expected.

I'd love to hear whether any of the other early pioneers are still going strong ?