Micksta Coaching

Comments

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Micksta: Like many others I think it is great of you to offer your running knowledge in coaching/mentoring others.

In a similar vein, next Spring I hope to attain a Pose Coaching certificate to teach people to run on their midfoot. It'll be fun & interesting. Nevertheless, I know that the experience of trying to teach and make others succeed will give me better insight into my own skills.

I'm quite interested to know more about the extra weight training you do. I did do daily low-weight/hi-rep work but now that my mileage/pace is moving up a notch I find it leaves me tired when running.

I was just wondering that maybe I'm too much of a wimp and I should continue with the daily work??

Another related question I have is to do with recovery in terms of rest, nutrition & sleep. I'm now on 60mpw (13-14miles on Sunday LSR) yet lately have still felt a bit whacked out. I try and eat little often but only get about 6-7hours of sleep. Not quite sure what is wrong.

Lastly, about ideal weight. I'm 5ft 7in and I guess of small build (38-40in chest). But I weigh 10st 10 pounds. Last year I was just over 10st. I'd like to be a stone lighter - is this a good idea? I'm concerned that strength work will make me too muscular.

Sorry to have gone on a bit!

Any view points?
  • Nrg-b

I think you've had an enormous amount of stress work and family wise the last few months. At the same time you're upping the miles (sensibly). You mention lack of sleep as well.

Put the 4 together...
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

You have mail.
  • Micksta

Just wanted to thank you for the programme that you have worked out for me.

Looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead and I will keep you informed as to progress.

I think that the programme addresses the weaknesses of my previous programme and hopefully will set me on the road to achieving my targets.

I am conscious of the effort that you have put in and grateful for the support.

J
  • Sorry to poke my nose in, but Watford is not a quick HM course, it has some tough hills! Looking at times of a few people around my standard who did both last year, Reading was 2 mins quicker.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    BTW Micksta,

I forgot to put somewhere on my emails that most of the long runs over 4 miles were done via 15min runn 1min walk.
  • TRINIRUNNER:
    I tapered around 3-weeks before my marathon attempt, dropping around 25% total mileage per week. the last long run should be about 2-weeks prior to the race, the last 13-or so days, you really need to start cutting back on the sessions, over the last 2-weeks, if you can at least two sessions in which are short in duration, mileage wise but fast as in speed when that really helps to get the legs moving quickly, something like 10x1min fast, with 1min jog recovieries would be Ideal.

Last week, just easy running, with say strides 2-3 days before the marathon, take two full rest days before the marathon, or if like me, 15min jogs around the block to keep loose.

That would taper you off very nicely, other advice is common sense, make sure you drink plenty of water leading upto race day, your Pee (excuse the word) should be clear, then carbo load with food such as Pasta, Rice as well.
  • JFB:
    Thanks for that, I only go by what people tell me, so having never run the Watford Half I do not know, I guess the person I got the info from idea of an easy race is different to others! :)

Maybe he is a mountain runner
  • NRG:
    I train weights 3-times weekly and do a circuit session on a friday (when not racing at the weekends)
    Upper body im tending to do High weights, low reps, to build upper body strength, for my legs, I do low weights, high reps, thats 20 repsx3.

Legs are squats, Leg press, aductors, abductors and calf raises, I also do One leg sqauat, Jumps, and lunges to aid balance and strength.

Upper body is Bench press, Duel arm Pull downs and Pectorial machine, with around 30mins for ab/core stability, thats about my weight training program at present.

With bodyweight its difficult, everyone is different in what there ideal weight should be, but the rule of thumb I use, is that if im underweight, then my power starts to drop on Hill sessions and when running up hills I find Im not performing how I should, then usually I find im underweight or dehydrated, my height is around 5ft7-8, 30 waist 38 chest, similer to you, and body weight is around 9.5-10stone, any lower then I start to lose form.

If you recently increased running mileage, then this will make you feel tired until your body adjusts, just keep an eye on hydration, your need to be drinking a lot more fluids if running further and try adding more Protein to your diet, eat more nuts, extra milk in cereals and cheese sandwiches etc.
  • NRG:
    With regard strength work making you to muscular, with the amount of running your doing, 60mpw, thats just not going to happern, Cardio-training eats into the body fat and proteins that build muscle, so if your running 60-70mpw, its impossible for you to bulk out too much, your find with low weights and high reps, your get definition and toning in the muscles, size would only come, if you basically fuelled your body to a degree that the running could not burn it off, and thats clearly not happening!
  • I think I have answered everyones questions from the previous day, if not then I do apologise and ask if you could re-post them!

SEZZ:
    Ive wrote a program and will email to you either tonight or tommorow somepoint.

HY4:
    I have your email, and will take a good long look :)

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta,

The more I think about it the more I think that with the training I've done before the less inclined I am to try for a marathon this year.

However I think I'll have a better idea after I've done the 10k in Feb.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

Just picked up your email.

I hate doing my own plan so it is really nice for someone else to look over it and pass comment.

Thanks

Helen
  • Thanks Micksta, Did 20 LSD yesterday and will do 15 and 10 the next 2 Sundays. I'll also go for the 15 min jogs rather than rest. These old legs seem to get tight if I give them time off!
  • Trinirunner:
    No harm in doing the 15min jogs, in fact they are probably better than complete rest!

No more than 10-miles though with the LSD a week before the marathon, or your struggle for full recovery in time for the race.

HY4:
    Hope my comments were ok and went with pretty much how your hoping to plan things out?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Micksta. Lots for me to think about.

I guess I should:
    - lose some lbs, at least back to 10st
    - drink loads more water. In contrast, I have no problem with beer ;-)
    - re-introduce the low-weight/hi-Reps exercise on Tue/Fri when I do single sessions.
    - start taking the maxi-muscle as a recovery drink (30g protein, 50g carbs) per drink. If I took two drinks a day would that be too much?

Cheers!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

Yes. The more I looked at the plan the more I thought no to a marathon. It was really good to know that I can effectivly plan for a 5 or 10k race.

One thing I really find is that the nearer I get to a 5k the esday run on Tuesday turns out to be a tempo run and then the speedwork also turns out to be a temp run. So I'm not sure at the moment about making the interval session more meaty at the moment.

What do you think would be a realistic target for the 5k based on my 2 previous times 35:24 (2004) and 30:11 (2005)?
  • NRG:
    With regard Maximuscle drink, it would be trial and error. Personally I would stick to one recovery drink at this time, if your still feeling rundown then add the second.

How much maximuscle is in one drink?

HY4:
    I cant see any reason why sub 30 could not be possible, if the training goes well and the speedwork kicks in, then I reckon you could aim for 28mins for the ultimate target. Thats about 56min 10k pace.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    hello mr micksta.i did a half of 1hr 28m 42 summe 2004 occasional low mileage non regular running

now joined a club so at least do tuesday speedwwork and a 7miler on a thursday

ran 25miles last week, and am aiming for 30miles+ most weeks

is this the kind of programme to get my pb down nearer 1hr 20 and below?

what kinda paces did you start for halfs,a nd whats your best?how much training do you do to achieve this?

i'm 24 and am close to ditching my 3-4 footy sessions a week to just do the running.

have some halfs planned, wokingham, silverstonwe and maybe reading..all nicely flat so i'd expect to eb under my pb already..but how much of an improvement can i look for?
  • Stevie G:

If I remember correctly, my first ever half marathon was a 1h22mins, this was the Maidstone Half Marathon, the race no longer exists now.

My current PB for HM is 1:14.53secs.

For my first HM, I was pretty much doing similer to what your running now, around 30-35mpw, did not play footie, but was very active training in the gym and playing Table tennis to League standard.

To get under 1h20mins, then you do need to take the training up a level, more like 40mpw, should get you there.

A long sunday run of around 10-miles or more, will be a great way for you to start this, it will build aerobic endurance, slow and steady at first, once your used to running the distance then you can increase the speed.
    Great your doing a speed session on a tuesday, once the football is dropped, then maybe two speed sessions per week, would benefit you.

If its a fast course and the weather is kind, wind low, mild etc, then you could currently knock around 1-2mins off your best, aiming for a 1h24-1h25 would not be impossible to achieve!
  • Micksta

Just a quick update - following the programme you kindly sent me - 3 weeks in and going well. Longer runs are much more comfortable than before and so far body seems to be holding up well.

Started losing a few pounds and feeling good at the moment. I think the combination of sessions that you gave me is working well. I have added a hill session once a week doing 6/7 reps of a 300m long hill.

I have teamed up with someone else from my gym to for the longer runs and we are both aiming for the Edinburgh marathon in June. I'm still going for Paris in April.

I really appreciate the programme that you sent me as I feel in better shape at the end of my long runs ie in a position that I could go further.

I intend to stick at it and I hope the progress continues.

Thanks

J
  • J,
    Thank you for the update on how things are going.

Its good to here the training is going well also and that you have been enjoying the sessions. The good thing is your handling it very well, ie no injuries or problems at this time.

The extra miles I put in the program would be the reason your finding the longer runs easier also, plus the added bonus of losing the pounds. Combining this together will make you feel better in yourself, and the improvement will be noticable.

No problem with the HILLS thats good, Hill work adds strength to your training.

Keep me posted on progress.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    My training at the mo is a real disaster area.

A 3 weeks ago something fell on my foot and I ended up with a bruised foot and couldn't run for 2 weeks. I went away for the weekend last weekend.

And because it's cold and dark when I get back in from work a warm room is more appealing than a run.

I would really like not to do this 10k on 19 Feb but since it is going to raise money for a friend's Herceptin I want to do the run somehow.

I don't know if the problem is with the weather or the fact I've just taken the training with a really relax attitude. The initial plan was to do about 20-30 min on Tuesday & Thursday nights and then to do the same or a bit more on Sundays. I even brought a hi-vis vest to wear for the night-time runs.

Sorry this has been such a long post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Sorry if I post over you Micksta but,

HY4 - Just get out and do some. You are really low at the mo because all you are doing is lowering your expectations all the time. First No Mara, Then no sub 30 5k, now you are having doubts about the Heartstopper.

You can do this, Nice and steady, no heroics build up the effort and the confidence will come.

It will be a great feeling when you truck over that line!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I know running is mind over matter however I should remember it more often.

I'm a strong willed person and when I get something into my head I will do it.

I know I can do this, however, have got really down about not being able to get out and train in the manner I would like to.

When I got my 30:11 5k I literally was having problems walking as I'd walked round London musuems for a day and a half so I guess I'll have to get some of that bl**dy mindness out and put to use.
  • Sorry about taking so long to reply, been away over the past weekend in Exeter racing!

HY4:
    As stump has mentioned, best thing to do is to try and just get out and get some running in. Don,t try and set any targets over what speed or distance YOU FEEL YOU SHOULD BE DOING! just get out and run, be it 10mins or 30-40mins.

Im sure this relaxed way to training will get some motivation back then you can set targets at a later date.

The cold weather also does not help things, easy to lose motivation, I must admit to thinking myself that a nice warm room is better than a cold run sometimes, luckily though the weather should be soon getting warmer so that should help things along as well.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta,

I didn't go for a run at the weekend instead plunged myself into tidying up and also plan on doing some more tidying next weekend as the flat is a mess at the mo.

It is reputed that house work is meant to be good exercise and they have forecast more milder weather so who knows!
  • HY4:
    Nothing wrong with doing housework, you can do amazing things with a hoover and a feather duster :)

Just stick in there and it will all come together nicely, you watch.
  • Any news HY4? Did you manage to get out for a jog?
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Stump,

I didn't but I did do loads of housework instead.

Now I've got a gum infection and am antibotics which have a horrible side effect. They make me feel tired.

I'm planning on getting out for a run tomorrow. Even if it's only 5 min!