Micksta Coaching

Comments

• Micksta

Just in from doing a 5 mile race in Edinburgh - It was hilly, wettish, windy and cold. Finished well down in 36:52 - way faster than I thought I could run which I can only put down to the speed sessions that you gave me. I was anticipating a time of nearer 40/41 so I'm very happy. You'll make a runner out of me yet!

Thanks
  • BEEBLE:
    Yes I can understand that, and you may still be able to run London. Your doing the right and sensible thing by getting different opionions from people, your be able to make a better decision nearer the time.

JAGGY J:
    Thats a good result well done.
    Speed sessions make a big difference and its showing in your case, looking very good for this marathon of yours :)
  • Micksta,

With yours and other advice I have had to admit defeat in my attempt to be fit for London. There is no way my knee is strong enough to start running again yet, never mind build the mileage required. I'm not going to put any extra pressure on myself by stating a date that I need to be running again by. Hopefully it'll result in me coming back as a fitter and stronger runner.

Cheers for the advice.

Gary
  • BEEBLE.

Gary, sorry to here you leg is not strong enough and your unable to run london this year.

I think you made the wise and sensible decision, though yout probably not pleased at the moment.
    Your right, let the injury clear, then get back into training and have a long build up to London 2007, your be a better runner by then and you may even beat me as im running London 2007!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling a bit down beat about my running at the moment and am considering either doing an on the day entry for my next race on 30 April or not entering it at all.

I've hurt my right hip somehow at the weekend although with gentle stretching it does seem a bit better. Although I don't know many hip stretches! I did have a slight problem with my hip on my last run about 2 weeks ago however it did sort itself out and then I've been hampered by the weather and work.

I've got a yoga video which I'll be using, however are there any hip stretches which I can incorporate into a warm up routine?
  • HY4:
    Sorry to here about the hip, sounds like it could just be a light strain or caused by running on hard surfaces in cold conditions, but do take care of it though!

If you can enter the planned race on the day then thats going to take pressure off you a little, only thing, race day entry is usually a little more expensive.

As for hip stretches. You have hit my weak spot on that one, Im not too well informed on hip type exercises. Other than my advice would be pretty much the Obvious thing and thats to ensure its flexible and warmed up before running.

The yoga tape should have a few exercise which you could do, the Hip exercises I do is simply just standing up with hands on hip and rolling the hips in a circuler motion, clockwise then switching anti-clockwise.

I also use a roller, these can be purchased from most sports shops or even ARGOS, and roll the hip area on this, I find the roller helps a great deal, more so with Calfs in my case, but any muscle group which is sore and aches the roller is a usefull thing.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    That's what I'm hoping Micksta. Although for my last run it was only 2 miles in 30 min. I have never ever been that slow before and my walking pace is 16 min per mile.

I think it may be due to how I warm up as I don't do too much about 5 min tops. When I did the 10k I did to the official warm up and that was about 20 min.

Unfortunately I learn my lessons the hard way so next time I go for a run which will be either next week or mid-week the following week I'll make sure I'm warmed up more before that one especially if it is a cold day.

Because of this the training plan has gone out the window and I'm going to sit down over this weekend & try and sort out a revised plan. I need to try and get some structure back into my running! Once the revised plan is sorted I'll email it to you for advice.
  • HY4:
    I would not concern yourself with speed at this time, there are lots of variables at the moment which are slowing things down, its just getting into a structured program again then worrying about speed at a later date.

With regard the warm up,try keeping it more on the aerobic side of things, other than outright stretching, as stretching to far on cold muscles can damage them.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Speed? What's that?

The main worry with that run was it really surprised me and did give me a wake up call, especially as the usual hip/bum pain I get appeared and I was going so slowly.

I've not got my email at the mo but the revised plan includes no speedwork at all! And is very gentle. (Will email the plan to you tonight)
  • HY4:
    Thanks for that, I will take a look and let you know what I think.

• Hi Micksta

Can I join in?

I have a 10k PB of about 48 min and I would like to get below 40min before I reach 40. I have less than 2 years to do it.

I have been running for about 10 months and was a mouse-potato before that.

Any help greatfully recieved.
  • <<peers in>>

Hi there - mind if I come and join in here? I have a concern about my training for the Paris marathon (april 9th).

A bit of background may help. I am a slow to moderate-paced runner, HM PB of 1:49, this marathon will be my second, the first being FLM last year. Time kind of unimportant in that because I blew up big time in the heat and finished in 4:51. One of my problems in that though was that I got injured about 6 weeks from the race and effectively had a very long taper, with only one very long run of 18 miles. This forms part of my fear as to what is happening this time around.

All going very well up to the end of week 14 of Hal Higdon's Intermediate I program Here. In the 'step back' week 15 I fell ill and missed the 12 mile long run, but then got really ill and have not run since. We are now on the Monday of week 16 - ie just beginning the taper. I have missed the last big week completely. On the mend now (was a bad stomach bug/virus thing caught from my little girl), and WILL run tomorrow, 5 at a very slow pace to ease back into it.

Now, logic says that I've done enough training up until getting ill, and that I should just taper anyway now, ignoring the missed big week. But that would make a 5 week taper... eeek! Should I make this week a big week and go for a two week taper? How should I tinker with the schedule for the best results?

In an ideal world I was aiming to break the 4 hour mark but now I'll be happy with 4.15ish.

Ideas, suggestions and motivation all welcome in equal measure!

• Hendo - you did your first one - problems and all. This one should hold no fear for you as you know you can do it. Only the time is in question!
  • STUMP:
    Sub 40 is a very realistic target for you to aim for.

Important thing is to have a structured training program, where your getting in around two fast sessions per week, this can be Intervals on the track or on the road, just where your running harder than normal, The other important thing is the weekly long run, building up towards 12-14miles is ideal for a 10k plan.

The rest of your runs should be steady or comfy paced, so your recovering from the harder sessions.

What kind of Mileage are you currently running and how many days do you train?
  • HENDO:
    Missing the week will not do you any damage as far as the running is concerned, you lose very little after missing a weeks training, so long as your back running to some degree this week, then your plans to how your going to tackle the race, can stay the same.

Looking at the plan, I noticed you missed the 20-miler and this weeks Long run is 12. Just to get in that little bit extra training, you could always increase your next long run from 12miles, to around 15-16miles.

This will give you the confidence booster that you have done a longer run close to the 20miles you missed but will not push the boat to far so you do not recover in time for the marathon.

Other than that, I would stick to what the plan says and follow the taper program.

• Micksta

Following my withdrawl from FLM due to a knee injury sustained on 15th January I am almost ready to recommence running (and I was going to try for 1st March!?!). I did 1200m on Friday with no reaction, and will be trying similar tonight. If all goes well tonight, how should I be building up my mileage? Prior to my injury I was running about 30 miles a week over 4 or 5 days.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Gary
  • Micksta- current average week

Mon: 4.5mile at lunch, pm rest
    Tue: 4.5m , pm 6 mile
    Wed: 4.5m , pm 6 mile
    Thurs: rest, pm 6 mile
    Fri: 4.5m, pm 6 mile
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 11 - 14 mile

I do the 4.5 m from 33:10 to 35:00 depending on how I feel.

The evening sessions are always slow. Friday's can be on a track but no structure as yet.

If I feel too tired I bin the evening session.

I ran a Half mara on Sun in 1:43:09 and felt pretty good. My 10k PB is 47:23.

Any suggestions about a structure or schedule would be appreciated.

Ta
  • Brilliant, thanks Micksta - I will let you know how I'm getting on over the next few weeks, and of course how Paris goes.

Have just returned from my first run back after the 9 days of illness, a very slow and steady 5 miles. A little heavy of leg and a few pains in the gut but back in one piece at least.

Onwards and upwards!
  • BEEBLE:

Glad your back running again, fingers crossed todays run goes well!

If your injury holds up without any problem, then seeing if I remember correctly you have a bit of time on your hands before your next marathon attempt.

I would opt for a steady build-up of mileage, back to 30mpw over a 4-week period/or month. The way I would suggest doing this, would be simply to increase the distance your running by 25% each week, adding a little further distance each week onto your general running, stay away from any speedwork at this time though, just get yourself aerobically fit and fully clear from the injury, then after the 4-week period try adding some more intense running to your sessions.

This should get you back on track and on the marathon road again.
  • STUMP:

Just looked at the program, thats good your already doing doubles, thats going to go along way to reaching your goals.

The general training your doing is not far away from a good 10k plan actually. The mileage is fine at this time, I would not suggest any increase in that area, other than maybe on occastion trying a harder run in the evening. (if your feeling good on the day)

Fridays if you can then do a track session and run something like 10x400m off 90sec recoveries or similer I can give some different sessions to do. (you can also do this on the roads by running approx how long it takes you to lap at 400m) IE: if you run 80secs for a 400m rep, then on the road run say 90secs, have a 90sec jog, then do the next rep.

My other advice would be to work towards a 2nd day of faster running, say either tues or weds night where you run longer intervals like 1k or 3-4mins. these will a longer recovery time of either 3-4mins

If your feeling tired and ache then either run very slowely or as with your evenings skip the session now and then as needed.

Hope this helps some.
  • The run (2k at the track) went well last night with no pain or discomfort in the knee, and none today either. I'll do some cross training tonight and try another similar run tomorrow. I don't have anything in particular that I am aiming for (well, London next year) so am not in any rush to get back to previous levels.

As suggested I'll build it up slowly and avoid any speedwork/intervals for now.

Cheers.

Gary
  • Ta Micksta; I'll pop down the track Friday and take times.

Does it matter if my runs aren't flat? Most of my outside sessions involve undulating roads. Is this a prob?
  • STUMP:

Let me know what kind of times you achieve at the track, then I better know your current standard of running.

With regard your runs, no it does not matter in the slightest if your using undulating routes, in fact, its probably a very good thing as your learning to deal with hills and this will give you extra strength. You can run hills both easy and hard, so even on a steady run a few undulations are a good thing to have.
  • Micksta: Have been down the track, times as follows;

01:24
    02:11
    01:26
    02:28
    01:29
    02:20
    01:28
    04:44 - Had to go round again!
    01:31
    02:02
    01:30
    02:12
    01:29
    05:09 - dosser!
    01:30
    02:10

These times are for 400m efforts with 400m jog recoveries except when I had to go round twice because I was knackered.

Couldn't believe how slow the running felt and how hard it was. Really tough.

I expected to be much faster and to be able to do loads more.

• STUMP:
    400s can be quiet difficult, as they cause lactic to build up in the legs.

Your leg speed for the 400s is around 36min 10k pace, so we can work on both speed and your speed endurance, which will bring your times down.

Good session to help with the endurance will be 1k reps or 3-4mins hard on the road, maybe once a week. then a shorter speedier session on the track, to work on your leg speed.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Went for my 10 min run before lunchtime on grass.

My hip wasn't in anymore pain at the end of it than what it was like before I started warming up. So that's a good start to this revised plan.

Although it does leave me with a couple of questions!

I think I read somewhere that if you've done a lot of running on grass and other softer surfaces you're quicker when you get back on the roads. Is this true?

Also what is the best way of measuring the distance I've ran? I've tried Google Earth and it does go into enough definition for where I live. So I've resorted to printing off part of an OS map and using a ruler to try and measure the distance.

I don't want to get a Garmin Forerunner or something like because I'll only be using about 3 routes so think it would be a waste of money.
  • HY4:

Thats good news regarding the hip, for sure running on softer surfaces will help with that as will the Yoga you have been doing as well.

It can also work that if you have been doing all your training on grass or tracks then running on the road will produce a faster time, mainly as your body is used to struggling over uneven surfaces, then suddenly faces a nice smooth surface, which is like heaven for your legs and cardio system! :) Drawback being if your always running on grass then you could cause potential injury problems when suddenly returning to the road and racing without first training on it a few times, its about finding the correct balance.

Google earth is exactly what Im currently using and finding it pretty acurate and whats more its free! other than that its gps or garmin which costs money, or plain old guess the distance by time, which is not as accurate.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Google Earth isn't all that good for the area where I live.

I did think about perhaps once a month just running a mile on the road to give me a guideline.

I've actually found out that I could if I wanted get a Navman R300 for about £50-£60 on ebay but I want to make sure the hip is holding up okay before I invest in something like that.

I've decided not to enter the 10k. I think it's going to be best to take my time and concentrate on the 4.5 mile in June as that last year set me up really well for the Hydro Active in September.
  • Micksta

Just a quick update. Latest results:

10 mile race 2 weeks ago - 77:19
    Half Marathon today : 1:44:10

Really pleased - thanks for the programme.

Paris in 2 weeks - wait and see but as well prepared as I have ever been!

Thanks

J
  • HY4:
    If you had a good run on the 4.5miler last year, then it could very well be a good tonic for this year as well, so good thinking that!

£50-£60 for a NAVMAN on ebay, I was looking for a good GPS for my car, but could not find anything that cheap!