The Pantman Resurrection Thread

Comments

• Pants i would have said more than bog off to some of these comments.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I've been enjoying this thread too.

Pants I think you're doing really well and you've given me some great help about base training a year or so back.

This thread is no different really to any of the threads that people post their training or weight loss on.

Give Pants a break and if you don't like it don't bother reading.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    what I find most strange about someone who is banging on about Pants being an OCD sufferer is that they hide behind a cloud of anonymity.............

click on James Gilbert's name and check his profile..........errm, what profile???

over the years on the forum most of the vindictive posts I've seen have come from people like this...........

aka Trolls...........

JG2 - go stick it up yer arse mate and climb back in your hole........your kind is not needed on this forum........
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Playing devil's advocate here but he was only expressing an opinion, regardless of whether he knows Pants or not. If we clique up and not allow any newbie to offer an opinion then this forum will soon become an inclusive hugfest.

Sometimes some people need a kick up the jacksie to get back into shape, not a virtual hug. And I think that we all need our views - whether it's training, politics, whatever - challenging every now & again.
  • I've obviously touched some raw nerves here.

Pantman, Trailblazer, Debbo, Fat Buddha why do you assume that I don't like or enjoy the thread just because I expressed an opinion you don't agree with? I was perfectly polite in the way I expressed it, which some of you were not in your responses.

Fat Buddha is that your real name then?

Thank you Gavo for not jumping in with the jackboots like some of the others.
    As I'm not a masochist, I read this thread because I enjoy it too. Doesn't mean I agree with everything I read. Pantman writes knowledgeably and entertainingly on training and other topics.

However, I don't think it's healthy for anybody to follow, for example, the cycles of bingeing and crash dieting that Pantman describes here.

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    JG2 - ok, I didn't think through what I was writing properly. What I meant was really if you find Pantman so offensive and believe he is all talk, and it sounds like you do - to quote some of your post - 'You veer from manic weight loss and mega-mileages to fat slob'and 'your attention-seeking compulsion' - then why bother with him? Those comments don't sound like perfectly polite responses to me, they sound like judgemental and rather rude comments.

• Debbo
    I don't find Pantman offensive and my comments weren't intended to be judgemental, even if they were frank. In his very first post he said this himself "Anyway, I'm fed up with being fat again... I'm also fed up with eating crap and being unhealthy."

The sub-title of this thread is "I need your help to get up and running again". I offered my advice on that basis.

I think that the attention-seeking is part of the cycle of destructive behaviour that leads to big (public) predictions about races and subsequent explanations when they don't happen (Abingdon, Rekyavik, Toronto marathons, Paddock Wood Half Marathon) or the target is not achieved (Folkeston 10, Dartford 10, Bexhill Half Marathon).
  • JG2:
    I dont recall PANTMAN ever running the Paddock Wood Half!

Dartford 10 he actually had a very very good race, I should know because he beat me there and Folkestone he pulled up injured, once again I can comfirm this was the case as one of my clubmates picked him up and drove him back to race hq!

PANTMAN:
    For sure keep posting your training on here, more people enjoy and benefit from it than not.

Ive really enjoyed reading your progress over the past months and even though it pains me greatly to say this next comment, actually been learning from your training and experimenting in my own running! ;)
  • Micksta
    That's my point - he was going to run the Paddock Wood Half in under 75 mins to qualify for the FLM champs start and didn't reach the start line. He was going to run the Dartford 10 in 55 minutes and missed that time by 2 mins 30 secs. I'm not knocking that time - it's a perfectly respectable club runner performance.
  • JG2 -

If you can't work out why the language you are using is offensive and unpleasant, then I'm sorry for you. Other people clearly could see that hence the responses. You clearly are so damn brilliant that you have no concept of human fraility - screwing up, but trying again.

Can you really not see how making judgemental assumptions about people you do not know is unpleasant? Turning up and labelling people you do not know? And then declaring you had ruffled some feathers as if you'd got your judgement right rather than people seeing rudeness and obnoxiousness in your post.
    I can handle criticism, especially from people who I have had dealings with and know where they are coming from. You have (a) jumped in from nowhere; and (b) have done so unpleasantly.

I lost weight quickly because I wanted to and I knew how to. It was a better and easier option to my mind than to have to maintain lower weight loss for a longer period.

If I had stayed obese like a large percentage of the population, would you be happier?
    If I had never stopped training would I still be an OCD, "attention seeker"?

You seem to be making a huge pyschological character assasination on the basis that I am prepared to try and be the best runner I can be despite falling away. Better to give up?

The learning process of races taht you outline resulted in me acheiving the main goal I had set myself for two years. Why are you so keen to see and paint a negative picture?

Seriously, if you really don't want me to post anymore, if you find the notion of me having my own thread "attention seeking", then just keep taking it over with your snide judgements. I'll go.

I thought that by outlining my training, struggles as well as good times, goals and hopes, that I was helping others too. I don't need this thread for my own personal support so much now, and in the midst of a very hectic life I have enjoyed the interaction with others on this thread, but don't need this crap quite frankly.
  • Pantman
    It seems that you don't mind the admiration of people you don't know, but you don't want any criticism. Screw up and try again - fine, but if you invite people to comment on your struggles, then don't expect it all to be what you want to hear. If you find my frankness offensive, I'm sorry, but I'm entitled to express my opinion.

If you needed the forum for support rather than to parade your weight loss and pulse rate achievements, why did you stop posting for several months while you were piling the weight on? Since you asked, no I really don't care whether you are 9 stone or 17 stone.

It's a public (and mostly anonymous) forum. You can't control who says what.

It sounds like this one has met the objectives you had for it. Some threads die and some live on. Maybe it's time for you just to be part of the crowd again. As I said above, I think you write well and know a lot about training, but do you really not think it's a tad attention-seeking to start a thread called "The Pantman Resurrection Thread"?
  • <ignore>James Gilbert 2</ignore>
  • As I think Pantman has already said, he's posting here because people are interested. If no one posts here then I'm sure he'll stop, but as it is it seems people want to know how he's getting on and I hope could learn a thing or two about what can be achieved with serious dedication.
  • That’s it! Has Paula got a thread? She clearly said that she was going to win that gold in Athens AND she didn’t even make the start at London this year! Well someone’s got to tell her she’s a useless underachiever.
  • There is always one who has to spoil it for the rest of us. We've all been enjoying this thread and then someone comes along and try's to ruin it. Hopefully Pantman will ignore James Gilbert and contiue to post.

James Gilbert to know so much about him I presume your beef with pantman goes back quite a while but can I please plea with you to not ruin what has been a really intresting thread.

Who care's if it is attention seeking does that make it any less intresting? No it dosen't.

• I haven't posted on here until the other day but I have enjoyed reading the thread and wholeheartedly congratulate Pantman for what he is achieving and for letting other runners read his highs and lows of his training and races.
    Non of us who enter races will always finish in the time we want, there will always be a time when we fall short of predicted targets or don't even make it to the start line. That is part of running, there are no guarantees, no matter how well the training goes. That Pantman can tell everyone puclicly what he expects to achieve then tell them what went right or wrong on the day is a credit to him.
    I have learnt things from his thread that I can incorporate into my own training and I hope he continues to post on here.
  • JG2.
    Sorry i dont wear jackboots but if i did i would kick your pathetic arse off this forum.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hello my name is Tom, and my profile tells you a bit about me - so no secrets there, most of you probably don't know me from Adam, but as this is a public forum, I'm entitled to express an opinion as is JG2.

Pants, firstly you haven't answered my question - take the trouble to reread my post and then respond.

You talk about human frailty, but to be fair that's not what you choose to share with us. You choose to highlight your superhuman efforts in overcoming your lapses, rather than attempt to be frank about the cirumstances that lead you to such a state in the first place.

Most of the people who post on this thread (and the whole forum for that matter) are very respectful of people's (yourself included) sensitivities. Unfortunately at times that can lead to a rather sanitised exchange of views, and in that respect this thread is just a little bit cosy.

JG2's posting, in my view, was a quite reasonable attempt to elicit a reponse from you about the "circumstaces that lead you to such a state in the first place*. Because it may disturb the sensitivity of this cosy thread, that's no reason to be so defensive - on reflection I think I'm being overly kind to you, as your response was more vitriolic and less considered than his posting.

With respect, if you put yourself into the public domain, you should expect a whole range of responses ranging from the sychophantic to the crital. You should respond to them all in the same considered way, and it doesn't seem that you always do that - if someone expresses an opinion which is contrary to your view of yourself or the world, you can be quite waspish in your reply.

Finally, I note that your Blog, one on which I made an effort to post a constructive response to some of the problems you experienced last year - without acknowledgement, is now defunct. Why is that? (another question you might consider answering). Surely you could have continued that, rather than start this thread - as the content and context of them both is exactly the same.

When I post this sort of stuff, I always reread it carefully to make sure that its well reasoned and doesn't deliberately cause offence. I think it is and it doesn't. However I suspect that you will ignore it because it doesn't quite accord with your views.

• He was going to run the Dartford 10 in 55 minutes and missed that time by 2 mins 30 secs. I'm not knocking that time - it's a perfectly respectable club runner performance.

This was run with toncilitis and i would say the time is a bit more than a perfectly respectable club runner performance.

• Please don't stop posting Pants. I am someone who has lost weight and gained weight - perhaps not as fast, in either direction, as you - many times. I try to learn from the things that go right for others and the things that go wrong, and you are honest about both, I think. I don't do anything as extremely as you do in terms of diet and mileage, but I try to be steady and focused consistently even if I haven't been in the past. To see one of the 'fast' people struggling with the same issues as me is very helpful, because sometimes it seems as though the speedy ones are a different species to me!

I really want to see how you handle the transition from weightloss to weight maintenance this time, as we have discussed before, so I can gather info that applies to me too. So please keep posting here!
  • I do agree with Tom about this thread being cosy to the extreme.
    Pantman is a big boy and I'm sure he can talk for himself, no need for all sympathisers (of which I'm one) to jump on whoever comes in with some maybe harsh or insensitive opinions/ideas.

On the other hand I think it's perfectly OK for Pants to just post: Look, I'm really not in the mood for this and I'd rather not talk about this or that.
    You want to look where you're going, after all.

That being said, most times I've seen Tom enter a discussion/dialogue with someone I have learned something from either him or the other person and more often both. That makes him in my view a highly respected member of this online community.

JG2, you don't jump half into a conversation, don't you? If you sit on a long train journey and one person is loudly talking away with group of people, do you an hour into the journey jump unannounced into the conversation in the same way? I would think/hope not.

MelP, that last bit is where it gets exciting. We all know Pantman can do the extreme stuff extremely well, I never worried about him losing the weight (just a tad about how as expressed earlier in the thread).

Good luck, Pants. Hope to continue hearing from you.
  • Imski – great post. Totally agree (and thanks for saving me an hour of trying to find the right words this morning).

Pants – your progress so far has been exactly as I would have expected. I look forward to seeing you at the ND30K. How about rejoining us on the daily thread afterwards (when the hard part really starts).

Take care
  • Pants, I've read this post and enjoyed it since it started.

It's a thread and subject I can relate to, since I'm trying too loose weight to try and get back to my 'old' racing weight.

Everybody has an opinion and entitled to it, but to be honest I'll only take it on board if it's constructive. Thats why I read and enjoy doing so, this and other RW Forums.

Keep it going Pants it's compulsive reading for some of us

• I've lurked here from the begining but feel I must say something:

"There are many forumites who suffer similar setbacks to their training - often self inflicted, who choose to battle their own personal demons away from the attention of the forum."

So says Tom. Well I guess the answer is Pantman chooses to battle them here. And he's given his reasons. He finds it helps and it motivates him. All power to your elbow in that case. Others don't. TwoTon above is a good example of going "offline" to sort out setbacks. (Like I said I've observed since the very first UK forum posts - and for years before I engaged with the US forum, which frankly makes this little spat seem anodyne.)

JG2 is a little harsh. I think there is plenty of evidence that Pantman is a talented runner just as there is evidence of the other proclivities that we all display to some extent.

No, my real worry is that I've become like all those people I criticise for watching "Big Brother". It sudenly struck me that the introduction of strife changed the thread into a reality show rather than a support vehicle, and that would be a shame.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    SoaD, Coincidently, when I made my original posting, Two Ton's circumstances were foremost in my mind - very similar to my own when I was the same (age young family, demanding job, etc). His approach, to my mind, is a model of how one should approach set backs - modestly and away from public scrutiny.

To reiterate a point made in my previous posting, Pantman is willing to share his "resurrection" with us, a process which he has gone through before (is that what they would call a reresurrection?) - so it's not new territory for him, so why the need for support. However when it comes to the circumstances that led him to throw away a good level of fitness in less than six months, he prefers not to address these publically.

This style isn't to my liking, however it does seem that PM does thrive on public support. Unfortunately, to my less outgoing nature, its very hard to see where the need for support stops and self promotion begins.

Again, purely as I see it, with no attempt to ascribe any motives/psuedopschoanalysis to his behaviour.
  • Tom who is two ton?
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Paininthefoot - see four postings up.
  • PITF – he is me :-)
    I have many of the same attributes as Pants….obsessive/compulsive nature, love of high mileage, diet issues when running is not going to plan. The one difference is that I am a little more reserved on here (or modest as Tom kindly puts it).

When he is on an upward curve, Pants has an openness and honesty that I admire, but I know can rub some people up the wrong way (especially those who have not had the chance to spend some time with him in person).

I’ve heard Pants use the word ‘evangelical’ to describe himself, which I think is a good description. As a couple of old warhorses, Tom and I have fallen flat on our faces enough times to be a little more guarded in our postings on here.

The forums are a better place when both of them are posting though.