The Pantman Resurrection Thread

Comments

• Goose Catcher
    I wasn't being facetious about Tom. Having just turned 50 myself, I have some of the same issues as Tom about how best to train and motivate my running in my "middle years", knowing that I'll never get back to the times of my twenties.

I do think there is some merit in sharing those experiences/challenges and Tom does so very well, in the various threads he visits. My remark was tongue-in-cheek to the extent that I don't think Tom would want his own thread! Would you, Tom?

NZC
    Same goes for your contributions, and I particularly value your stories about Lydiard - he's a bit of a hero to me.
  • Tom
    If you did start such a thread as NZC suggests, I'd be happy to contribute there.

Incidentally, you forgot one option - apply in the FLM ballot. I had to do that last year as my GFA had run out - and got in. Don't tell anybody, but I have found I've got in on the ballot more times than not, since I turned 40 - I think they don't get so many entries from oldies and take a higher proportion (only a theory, mind). No harm in applying anyway - you can always defer it if you turn out not to be ready by the time of the race.
  • I think a thread like that would be very very useful. There's always alot of debate about declining standards, so it would interesting to hear about what some of you guys used to do.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    NZC, RB and MB. I'm very much of the samw mind as yourselves, that if someone where to start such a thread, I'd be happy to contribute.
  • Maybe I'll do it then! Any ideas for a name?
  • "Oh to be young again"

"Rolling back the years"

"How we used to run"

• Tom - Not sure what you train like, but I think the Nottingham option would be a big ask. I only train up to 22 miles and would do that 15 - 20 seconds a mile slower than the pace required for a 3:15. If you are used to that sort of load, then it might be possible, but I doubt my body would cope (i'm another sufferer of sciatic/piriformis problems).

2:45 at Abingdon has to be a good possibility if you have run above that level before, I guess you would need a good run of training through the summer though.

If you aren't desperate, then the ballot does sound like a good option. Just doesn't seem right when you are so far inside the qualifying standard!

My GFA ran out this year (having had to pull out of the last 2 FLMs), so I'm also looking to do something in the Autumn, just not sure what yet. I would prefer a big city marathon (possibly Eindhoven) but logic/price/the wife says I may have to settle for Thanet.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    MB - don't really know what the thread would be called or I probably would have started one too. Maybe - "Still crazy after all these years".
  • <<waits to see who is going to take the plunge and start the thread>>

Go on - it will be good. And a novice of only 3 years running would lurk with great interest looking for tips!
  • Hope Pantman is coming back....
  • wpuld be a bloody good idea actually
  • Well I've started the new thread, so I'll leave Pantman's thread now and go on over there. Hope the link below works OK. I hope to see some of you there!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=81841&last=1&V=6&SP=
  • For information...

The self same James Gilbert whose post kicked off all the unpleasantness on here was the guy who came onto the daily thread for 2 days a couple of months ago to post comments about my personal life.

Funny how he just appears when there's some trouble to stir.

To my knowledge neither myself or Pantman have met him / her. Or maybe we have and he / she prefers to troll?
  • Good observation, BR.

Let's get back to some intersting posts from Pants and some fair and open debate.
  • Ah BR, I remember him doing that!

Pants come back as I think I'll drop in from time to time too. Especially around issue's with weight as I'm becomming a lardy ass and need to motivate myself to improve my eating habits!
  • PANTMAN:
    Please dont let the insults from one person prevent you from posting on your thread.

Most of us here really do want to know how your progressing.

But you have to accept also that if you post on here, then your fair game and open to be both scrutisnised and praised at the same time, its part of posting on a public forum.

Ive posted on here now for around a year and have recieved a lot of criticism regarding my running and the training techniques I choose to use, but I choose to post on here with the knowledge that my training ideas will be challenged from time to time and have accepted it and carried on with posting. This you have to do as well, accept the criticism even though it may or may not be fair and just carry on with your usual program.

And....
    You can always learn things from what others say, I know I have.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Pantman, I think its safe to come out now............

But I've still got you in my sights, but don't worry, its only a water pistol.
  • I want to respond to SOME of this.

All I'll say right now is that this attention-seeking, "I'm going to do this and that" person that is being painted here is not someone I, nor those who know me well, recognise. To be open enough to say "I hope to do well and perhaps run x:xx:xx, because of what I am seeing in training" is a million miles away from arrogantly declaring greatness as some seem to have percieved.

The one criticism that is very true though is that I can be overly sensitive. That often goes hand-in-hand with someone who wears their heart on their sleeve. So I do find all this very hard. Something I need to deal with - not a strong poitn I accept - but it still hurts. And I'm not really sure why I cause such strong reactions - positive or negative. Why is seemingly such pleasure in putting me down?

Don't get me wrong, I can listen to different views and take criticism when done appropriately - in fact, more so than most I'd say - but I don't feel what was said was pleasant or constructive. (I know you don't agree with that, Tom., but let's just face it - we won't see eye to eye on that one.)
    I never saw this as some "hugfest" - I really am not that kind fo person at all. But it was friendly. And that is no bad thing. I have no issues with TwoTon, Gavo, Imksi and others voicing concerns, diagreeing and debating. Because these are pleasant people who clearly mean well whether we agree on any particular point.

I hope it is perhaps understandable though, irrelevant of the validity of any points made, that this thread has become an unpleasant place for me. The forums have been fun, but they are a very minor part of my life - if the task of posting on my "diary thread" continues to be unpleasant I just won't do it. I think that is fair enough.

Either way, I am just sad about this really. I thought I was making a helpful, interesting and valuable contribution with the thread, whether people disagree or agree with the bulk of what I say and do. But it has just become unpleasant now. I am more than able to hear contrasting views and take criticism - that is not the point. The fact is that the thread has become a vehicle for people who clearly have issues with me, despite not really knowing me, to vent their spleens publicly. I do not recognise the person they are trying to paint me to be and, to be frank, the whole thing just leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I confess I am a sensitive guy, so this stuff can affect me and I have better things to do with my life right now.

I'm taking a holiday from this...

P.S.
    Tom., I sincerely wish you all the best in your preparation for Abingdon.

P.P.S.
    Hall Place Goose Catcher - I think you'll find I won that sprint for 2nd at Harvel... ;-)
  • Good luck with your training Pants, and hope you can get back to your previous level soon.
  • Pants - it'd be a shame if you stop posting, but that's your decision.

I personally find your training methods fascinating, if not necessarily something I'd do myself. If you feel like this thread is not the place to do it, how about resurrecting the blog? Your site, your rules.
  • PM

I have read this thread with fascination of the months. I could not even begin to dream of following your training pattern, and eating habits. I am pleased if I get 60 miles in a week, so observing your mileages is humbling. I am sorry that a few idiots make you feel this way, when you have been very helpful to others (including myself) when we have asked you questions about your training etc. In the past I have been strongly influenced by your advice on the base training thread.

I hope that in time you will feel able to post on this forum again, and keep us up to date with your progress. I wish you every success in your training, and in any future races. Who knows, one day I may witness you speeding away into the distance in front of me at a race. Something to look forward to.
  • Don MinquezDon Minquez ✭✭✭
    Ditto, Pants. Don't let the buggers grind you down.
  • Pantman -

referring to your PPS

Hall Place Goose Catcher - I think you'll find I won that sprint for 2nd at Harvel... ;-)-

Now read what I wrote in the thread -
    The guy who didn't get the medals was the same guy who Pantman beat on a sprint finish at Harvel.

I am a bit confused!
  • Misread you, HPGC - my mistake!

BTW, What's with "goose" thing? We had 4 goslings hatch yesterday...

• Pantman,

Do a lot of my training over Hall Place in Bexley - have you ever been there? Anyway - they have quite a few Canadian Geese there that reserve the right to block my rep sessions by hissing - has been quite scary in the past!

Going back to Harvel last year, Andy Green was a good scalp. I finished second in 2002 - was a bit slower than you - low 27's. Is the Bethersden 5 still run these days - that is where I got my PB - used to attract a real quality field for Kent races. I am sure you could get a 25 minute time there relating it to the Harvel course.

Don't give up posting on the forum. You are held in high regard by a lot of people - we all have differences of opinion regarding our running and thus we all need advice from time to time. Running can be a very lonely sport at the best of times - it would be a shame if someone who is willing to help others completely disappears.

Coleman, Royden, Williams and Renault used to train down the Garrison in Gillingham on a Saturday morning running longish reps - I was tempted to go down there with them once but the sessions scared me off. They were always welcoming to new runners to come down and join in. With your endurance levels, I personally think you would benefit considerably and would find the sessions easier to cope with than I could have done.

• Sorry to hear you're leaving Pants...good luck with the training..

d
  • Karl CorpezKarl Corpez ✭✭✭
    Why not consider posting on the hard training thread, and using Mike Gratton as a sounding board for training ideas? You are obviously training hard, and there is a good exchange of info and ideas there.
  • PANTMAN:
    A real shame you feel the need to stop posting as I was enjoying the thread greatly.

Why not do as Karl Corpez suggests and post on MGS Thread, or log on and post your training on FETCHEVERYONE.COM
  • Pants - You need to reply to Tom, im interested in his take on the difficulties of breaking 50 mins.