Options

Sunday 1 January 2006

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon all,
    And a very happy new year to everyone and best wishes for the upcoming 2006 season :)

My hill session last night went pretty badly, I had planned 20 reps, but had to can the session after 10 reps, legs just were dead, so no point in flogging a dead horse in my view, turned into a 2-mile tempo session afterwards, towards end I was able to coax speed into myself on a slight downhill stretch, think the leg session at the gym did the damage!

What:
    am: 10-mile at around LT pace in 64mins, legs better this morning, pushed the pace as coach instucted, ran close to my guessed LT pace most of the way, eased off slightly when needed and pushed on other parts, felt so much better than yesterday!

Why:
    Aerobic Endurance and speed endurance.

BR:
    Reckon, the heavy mileage took its toll in the race, 34:50s still not a bad time, I would take that and be happy with it myself :)

URR:
    Nice comments there, yes, I pretty much agree with what your saying, I have a lot more to come from the marathon, so thats why Ive now decided to focus on longer races and stop training specificaly for 5ks etc.

NZC:
    Yes my next Marathon target is sub 2:30!
    Think its possible, but need a few years solid foundation work first.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Happy New Year to you all and may you have a great 2006!

What: LSD 3 Hours - probably about 19 miles
    Why: Last big one before Mara in 3 weeks
    Last Hard: Weds
    Weight: 12st 7lb, planning to get 1st off this year.

Have given up the booze for the next 3 weeks at least to the Marathon, may quit entirely, it doesn't go with the rest of my lifestyle which is very health orientated. Anyone else done that in the past? What effect on times/weight etc?

Have a great racing, running, LSDing, resting, recovering day!
  • Options
    I raced 10K today at Hyde Park. This was the race I have been training for to target my pb.
    Well I did it!! 50.38 which is a pb by nearly a minute. I am very very happy.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Well done Lady gLuggcan

You deserve to be very happy. And a good chunk of your old pb.

• Options
    Oh LL, we meet again!Well done again

First post on here as an attempt to at least try to structure my training.

Target - sub 3.45 at London.

Today Serpie 10k, 49.55 by my watch. Not a PB but is what I said I would do, and the last couple of days have not been brilliant health wise.

Mava - I heard you were at Hude Park but I missed you - sorry! I do look a little different than I did :(
  • Options
    oops

Happy New Year all.
  • Options
    TwoTon
    Good to see you posting again!

No running for me today, thought I might be too dehydrated after yesterday so didn't plan anything. Mrs 200 is currently out for a run, very admirable...

Marathon training starts tomorrow, with a short long run.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sportaloo, I reckon all men are dark horses:o)

Enjoy your time with bf Melissa!

Sodahead, you can't get away with saying don't ask, so come on spill the beans...

Well done BL on your pb. A good time!

Hi TT, good to see you posting, it's been ages. Hope to see more of you this year!

Well done Lady gluggcan on your 10k!

Welcome Dr AJH!

• Options
    Afternoon,

Happy New year all and best wishes for the year!

What: New years day 10k Hereford!
    Race Report: Arrived at 10:15 with a 11 'o' clock start. PB was 45:06 and target was sub 40mins, done this race last year so it was exactly a year on. So i need 4min splits.
    1k: 3:50 - Slightly uphill and feeling good!
    2k: 7:51 - Slightly uphill again but still feeling strong
    3: 11:33 - So well on target!
    4k: 15:31
    5k: 19:53 - Slowed down but still on target
    6k: 24:30 - Uphill and well outside target pace
    7k: 28:29 - Still outside taget pace :-(
    8k: 32:26 - Better but still not quick enough for sub 40 but working hard
    9k: 36:11 - Downhill, still outside target pace and last k is downhill.
    Last k in 3:31 so got sub 40 easily in 39:42 :-) and over 5minutes off last years pb :-D

Why: To see how much endurance has improved in the last year and its why i run

Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: 7days

Run well!
  • Options
    Also Well done to all racers!
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Two Ton good to hear your alive and well, and congrats on the family addition.

Like Mikesta my Saturday session went up in smoke. Should have been 5m at LT pace sandwiched between two 2 miles stretches of easy running. Within a mile of easy running felt totally wasted. Despite being a bloody minded so and so, it was obvious that the 5m @ 6min pace just wasn't there, so ended up stumbling through a totally wiped out 9 miles.

Today however felt fully recovered, running 18 miles - the first 10 at 7:18 pace and the last 8m at 6:53 pace. A very satisfying start to the new year.

Hilly, was interesred in the importance to attach to the MG second Sunday run of 5m. I used to do somethink like that years ago -Sunday am 23miles with the gang and pm 5m on my own - I just found it so desparately hard. Probably a combination of running the morning session a bit too quick and the associated carbo depletion - although in those days I just thought I was knackered!

BR, agree with you re Scobos and Simon on the dark horse front - don't forget Anders Mac who has the basis to build on for a fast marathon this year.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Happy new year to you all.

Great racing Chris and Lady gL

Just back for Oxford Mail XC Leauge Rnd 3 at Lambourn.

A new course for me, quite hilly (4 large hills and a lot of cinder race track for horses.

Best position of the season, finished in 107 from approx 180-90. in 37:58 for 8.4K, so am happy with that as it is a good start to the new year.

Take care and enjoy:-)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My special day and race report.

Broadstone quarter marathon + Dorset Road Race League presentaion.

Conditions, cold, but not as cold as it has been and for this race rather mild as the last time I did it there was thick ice everywhere.

Course profile-2 laps with 2 hills in the first mile and 1 hill on each lap, so hilly with some flat sections.

Goal for the race-none really apart from to run as hard as I could on the day. Therefore goal achieved.

Didn't do much of a warm up, just a bit of jogging-not good really!

First mile is mainly uphill and I went off a wee bit too fast - 5.39 good job I didn't look at my watch or I would've paniced at seeing that start, especially uphill!

Feeling strong at this stage and getting a bit caught up in the front, should've realised I was going too quick when I spotted one of my male club mates only a few metres ahead and he's a sub 35 runner-oh sh=t mile 2 - 5.42

Big hill to follow and breathing a bit hard, also lots of gunk in my throat and nose from cold, which I had to get rid of-ok too much info, but couldn't run with that muck! Very slow mile in 8 mins!

Downhill now and time to recover, but I'm joined by a rival and we run beside each other step for step. She's not breathing as hard as me-another sh*t:o) Mile 4 more like it in 6.14

Onto the second loop and I'm finding it a wee bit tough, not sure why, but afterwards looking at my splits I can see why. Mile 5 6.21

Rival pulls ahead and I really don't have anything to fight back with. I try to keep her from pulling too far away, but I'm breathing hard and then the hill does it. Mile 6 - 7.41

Now if this was 10k I'd nearly be home, but still half a mile to go. Oh boy I want to stop, but dig in as I really don't want to be passed by another female, it's a pride thing:o)

Final half a mile in - 2.56

Crossed the line feeling like throwing up in 43.18 and 3rd lady

Race analysis, went off too fast. Tried to run someone else's race and it didn't work, but no great loss as still a very good time and position.

The presentation was great (I'll post a link to some pics that my club chairman took when he puts them on our website) and I picked up so much. I came home with no less than 6 trophies and 3 bottles of wine! They were for overall lady road race winner, vet lady road race winner, top club runner, and 3rd lady today. Two trophies have to go back next year, but the rest stay with me.

All in all a fantastic start to 2006!

• Options
    Hi

Chris congrats on the new pb - that is some chunk off a 10k - well done.

Lady gl well run too.

Bambi Legs well done on the pb.

Welcome Dr AJH

Two Ton - Great news on the arrival and good to see you back.

2hrs 30 mins done, found this very hard today, was lonely, cold and wet, my last 40 minutes was hard going, had to slug my way up a huge hill, felt as if I was doing 10 m/m and my heart rate was at 93%.

But I managed it and have warmed up and eaten and now feeling good.

Back later to read race reports.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done RFJ!

Tom, I find it ok as long as I don't push my long run pace and take the 5 miles easy as a recovery run.

Personally I feel it's built my long run strength and nearer to the marathon like to be covering the marathon distance in those 2 runs.

I think I lack leg speed so am thinking this is what's giving me the strength to hold marathon pace. I could be very wrong as I'm really not too much into the science of the sport.

I'll do another 6 miles later as a recovery run and then my long run tomorrow, hopefully.

Well done all who did long runs today!

• Options
    Wow, great report........am in awe!
  • Options
    Hilly - great one, well raced and nice details:o) - as you say a great start to the new year.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Fantastic improvement CP16, well done!

Speedy, sound a bit miserable-just one of those days mate!
  • Options
    Happy New year, all

CP16, that's a massive junk off your PB. Congrats.
    and well done, too, on the PB LL

now, Hilly must be back from her race but hasn't mentioned it ? Perhaps she's typing at this very moment ?

I'm just back from my first road race for a while, the Coventry New Year's Day 5ml. I'd been hoping to be pleasantly surprised, particularly as I've had a much easier week than I had planned. But no. In the first mile I was surprised to find myself first ahead off, then hanging onto a rival who I'd be delighted to beat, but then she seemed to have warmed up and just pulled away. I was working as hard as I could, but my legs never really felt it was to be one of those great runs. After the first few miles I was running on my own with only a race walker ahead of me as a target. Overall a fair test of where I am now, and it's not where I want to be. Is it realistic to expect a 20sec/ml improvement in pace over 5+ times as far in 16 weeks time, but hopefully 14lb lighter ? (TmR hears a collective NO..)
    Splits:
    ml 1 7:29 av HR 144 (short lap)
    ml 2 7:40 151
    ml 3 7:52 153
    ml 4 7:36 157(96%) (3nd lap, as ml 2)
    ml 5 7:53 157 (3nd lap, as ml 3)
    ....1ml? 7:29 160
    (data according to PolarS&D, though wouldn't question the actual course measurement; average HR 153, =93%, marathon HR c 145
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done TmR. There's still a lot of miles and training left before FLM, so keep positive. Your effort cannot be faulted and i'm sure you'll be rewarded!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Dr AJH - nice to see you in these parts. Welcome

Chris - Fab race. Just shows how much you've improved in the last year.

RFJ - Well raced

Hilly - well done on 3rd place even if you did start too fast. Is that another trophy
    ps. can i borrow your legs next week ;o)

TmR - you must be pyschic ;o)
    Well raced though not what you wanted 1lb a week loss maybe but do it sensibly
    Oh i'm always the optimist
  • Options
    Evening

What: 5 easy miles

Why: Recovery from last night!

Last hard: Last year!

Last rest: last year!

Train well

and all the best for 2006.
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    congratulations hilly, a well deserved haul of prizes after a great year.

Dr AJH, good to see you here. Sorry I missed you at Hyde Park. I was freezing and we whizzed off as soon as we could. I got quite a lot of pics which will be with RichK shortly.

Well done other racers and runners just for getting out there. I'm feeling very lardy because I haven't run since Thursday. But my two runs this week have left my muscles aching more than Abingdon did. Amazing how much can be lost in a couple of weeks. Back to running tomorrow.

Have a great rest of the day all.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    TmR, I hope you're not too disappointed with this mornings effort. I was interested that NZChristine bracketed us together in her 2005 appraisal as being two people whose attitude to their past performances were uncompromising. I'd agree, and I hope that you, as well as myself, drew some satisfaction from that description.

However, whilst I regard that additude as a virtue, I also think that we also need to find some way of making it rest comfortably with our perceived abilities. What I'm trying to say is that rather than going into a race off a long period of training with a heightened expectation of what we think we are capable of, what we should do is ease ourselves gradually into racing without too much taper and set our expectations based on our previous race performance rather than some isolated expectation.

As an example, my target race this early year is the Bath HM. Based on last years performance of 79:05 I'd like to think I could manage 77:30 this year (yes BR, that the target!!). However since last year's race, I've lost two months training to injury, taken a huge loss in fitness and associated dent in confidence, and am now adapting to running with an ever present niggle which is constantly bubbling under. Because of these factors, I'm not anticipating achieving the target time (based on my last race a couple of months ago it's likely to be about 81mins), however I've got four planned races before Bath, and my Bath expectation will gradually evolve from my performances in those races. I think all that makes sense, and that's what NZChristine was getting at in her posting - does that make any sense to you.

Applying this arguement to your own circumstances, don't be disappointed with todays run, just use it as a basis for evaluating your next race performance....etc.
  • Options
    Happy New Year, everyone.

Drank too much last night - especially as I was given a really good bottle of whisky for Christmas - I think I've done pretty well to wait until New Year's Eve before opening it!

Still no running for me - but physio said Wednesday, so only 2 more full days to get through and then I can get out there again.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Everyone,

SiT: Glad to hear your son is better.

NZC & Stickless: I always lookforward to posts here especially from the two of you.

TwoTon: Welcome back. Congrats on the new arrival. Can I add myself to your list of 'Dads who need their lives sorting out', please?

A very tough choice of Daily Thread Regulars I'd pick as the 'Ones to watch for 2006'. I reckon it'll be StrandedInTurkey and Minks.

What: 40mins with Ricky. Dropped him off home. A quick pit stop. Then another 90mins on my own. My right glute/piriformis has been niggly lately. The long run caused it ache a lot such that I had to walk a few times - felt awful. Thankfully, lower back is fine and no sciatic pain in leg. Feels ok now but tonight I'll be getting intimate with Ms Tennis Ball.
    Why: LSR
    LastHard: Last year
    LastRest: 11Dec05

Congrats to all racers and best wishes to those who are recovering.
  • Options
    Happy New Year!

What: Serpie 10km race :-) - done and dusted in 45:34 which is 1:40 off a PB - Miss H was similarly off her PB time too - we blame the wind, the skiing and the beer (something's added to our weight in the last week!) - and that makes LL's PB all the more impressive!

Why: Racing start to the year - saw quite a few other forumites there - but not mava, AJH or URR.

Lyrics: Laugh along even though they're laughing at you and the stupid things that you do. [Has anyone else heard the William Shatner version of this song? - I kind of like it]
  • Options
    P.S. 6 trophies and 3 bottles of wine?! Good luck in the title defences!
  • Options
    Oh you ran past me Hollywood, just didnt have the energy to speak!
  • Options
    wow - congrats hilly - thats a lot of trophies and wine!!!