Sunday 1 January 2006

124»

Comments

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Julz - yes, I did say I was going to the JC. I'm pretty sure I am, but I'll let you know nearer the time. I'm happy to give you a lift. I've got a tutorial in the morning so Bryan would probably pick you up and then you'd have to pick me up from Leith.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lizzy, that's kind of you to say that. I've had some really nasty injuries in the past so I guess they've helped to make me not repeat a training mistake twice!

BR, off road running is my favourite. The feeling of freedom is brilliant!:o)
  • Stickless, Hilly I concentrate very hard on relaxing !!, BR,Thanks, so more easy miles - I like that. But I aslo wonder if I'm still tired, as I ran for almost 5ml worth of time in my first XC race of the season at around 95-96% HR. Any how I plan is lots of miles next week (mainly because of long runs tomorrow, then next Sunday) but then I'd always planned a very easy (60% of regular miles) the week after, leading up to the county XC champs, so that will be a better test.
  • Tom, can you enable your email on here, as my server is being silly.
  • Some good training going on - Speedie, Tom.

Congrats Bambi on your new 10k PB -44.37.

DDave - marathon tapering? Good luck.

Trini - 3hr run - marathon in 3 weeks - good luck, Sporta will be watching.

Lady Lucan - congrats on your 10k PB - 50.38.

Hello Dr AJH.

Chris Pro16 - you'll be pleased with your sub-40 min 10k!

Hilly - good to see you going for it! Nice haul!

TMR - the next race will be easier.

nrg-b - nice to see you running with Ricky.

Hollywood - can't be bad - you're out there doing it.

Hyperlite - 38.07 for your first 10k - wow!

BR - you have just raced a 10k even if you'd have liked it to have been a little faster. Think you needed to cruise for a couple of days - don't mean don't run but nice easy miles - think you might be a bit tough on yourself. If you could have run faster on your 10 miler it probably would have meant that you didn't run fast enough in your 10k.

SSC - good to get that 5 mile race in.

Debbo - congrats on your vet's placing in the tri.

What: 20 mins with a few strides.
    Why: not much time - went with family to the beach.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Blisters, madness running at that time! I'd love to, but I'd be scared out on my own after midnight!

I think there are going to be some major breakthroughs by many on here this year. We have quite a few who are still only in their first year or two of the sport, they will definitely start to see improvements. It's going to be an exciting year!
  • Happy New Year all - I'm still around.

Gradually drifted off the forum about a month or so ago when feeling on a downer about running in particular & life in general. A few others seemed to be going through crises of a different order of magnitude at the time, mine didn't seem worth sharing in comparison.

Continued to lurk from time to time, so think I'm up to speed with most recent events. Will comment in separate post.

Got prodded into posting again by a solicitous email from nrg-b - thanks Bharat - that was much appreciated.

Also amused by Tom's selection of quotes - mildly surprised no-one picked mine up as the reference to the area should have given it away.

So, to get my activities up to date:

RUNNING:
    no races, but 148.4 miles done in the month - can't say I've enjoyed too much of it - apart from the cold, running in the hours of darkness seems to get more difficult as I get older. More and more I find myself stumbling on uneven bits of pavement & end up running in the road much of the time as it's better lit.
    Pose technique is improving verrrry slowly - calves can now last for 70 mins on a 9.2 mile run (give or take the odd knot). Maybe I'd improve faster if I did some drills or got myself filmed. Not enough hours in the day to manage the first and run a reasonable mileage; but I do now have a suitable camera to accomplish the second :-)

Decided too much of my mileage was either too fast or too slow & have done a lot of threshold stuff over the past month. Mean HR on these outings has dropped significantly even if they still feel harder than they should.

The results of the MRI scan on the spine came through and (just as Hippo predicted) were inconclusive. Just "normal wear and tear".

Next planned races:
    Jan 14 Merseyside X-C championships
    Jan 29 Borders League race 3 at Mold (category A race)

LIFE:
    Attitude towards my employers has hardened from hostile indifference through alienation, now to outright contempt. When off with a virus early in April it had already dawned on me how little I was called upon to use my brain to do my job (supposedly a technically demanding post). Following recent events it now seems that thinking and using one's professional judgment is positively discouraged.
    Add in the planned move to Speke and the apparent expectation that I'm going to spend 2 hours a day sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic in order to get there and spend 7½ hours sat at a desk doing little of significance unless something goes wrong....no I don't think so! Time to go before I hit something (another vehicle en route) or someone (a manager at work).

Especially as I've decided to try to resuscitate the long dormant brain cells by other means. I've signed up for a level 3 OU Maths course for 2006 ("Waves, Diffusion and Variational Principles") to familiarise myself with study once more. The longer term aim is the MSc Maths course, starting in 2007.

Fingers crossed - things might get a bit fraught over the next few months. Need to keep running and keep the stress levels down.
  • oh dear that reads like a pretty miserable epistle

think before you type
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you back Mike S!

Major changes ahead for you by the sounds of things. Best wishes for it all to go smoothly!
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Mike its good to hear from you again - good luck with the change of direction, hope it takes you to where you want to go.

Debbo, great racing, riding up to Artrhurs seat on a bike, thread times - gawd help you!!

TMR, sorry about the email mayhem - will go and fix.

Blisters, the only odds I'll be giving this year are on Pantman's 10M prospects, and the book's already closed on that :-)
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    sorry, "thread" = "three"

I'm glad you enjoyed the quotes. My favorite was attributable to Graham "Legs in Threads", the one about the two guys running the Worthing 20M for alzheimers, arguing about which lap they were on!
  • Evening runners.

Being on-call is great. They pay you extra squids and you don't have to do anything. Normally. Got a call late last night and only sorted it by tea-time today. Just about managed to squeeze a 3 mile run in before tea, to keep the streak going. Achilles was absolute agony, and I suppose I should be grateful as there was no way I could have done a long run today.

Not a good start to the year, but things can only get better.

Nice to see lots of long-lost people returning to the daily training thread.

And now, there's a bottle of port with my name on. I've think I've earned it....
  • Evening chaps.

Very good first day of the New Year for me. After returning to running after illness 3 weeks ago I seem to be improving again. Very pleased.

What: 7 miles easy (run) 18 miles mainly up hill (bike)
    Why: Marathon training and want to get back to being 100% again.
    Last rest: Thursday 29th.
    Last hard: Today actually (double session).

Happy New Year chaps!
  • Good to hear from you MikeS.

"Attitude towards my employers has hardened from hostile indifference through alienation, now to outright contempt.

Marx predicted a worker's alienation in the workplace:-)

"Following recent events it now seems that thinking and using one's professional judgment is positively discouraged."

Indeed it is. I wonder what `professional' means these days. I thought it was using your judgement and having some control over the way you did your job. Not these days:-(
  • MikeS -- I've found travelling early into Liverpool is the only way to avoid the traffic. If your workplace have a shower you might take your kit with you and go for a run when you get to work. This isn't feasible for me because parking is an issue - so I'm at the moment considering biking into Liverpool. Yep... from Warrington - done it twice in the last two days in 1½ hours both days. Hopefully this will improve as I lose weight and fitness improves some.
  • Mike - another OU Maths person!!! I'm currently waiting for my Level 2 M208 (Pure Mathematics) course books to turn up.
  • Ok thanks Debbo! - I haven't actually entered it yet anyway but I'd like to do it. :)

Tom - I missed your quotes thread before but I've just read through it now. Very entertaining!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    MikeS: Glad to see you posting again. I went through similar work-related circumstances as you all through 2003/2004. A change is as good as a rest.

Cath: Forget to say but that's a great picture, a very cheeky smile.
  • Mike S - really pleased to see you!
    Go for it - the maths, that is.

M, you enjoy it too!

• Quick one, did the NYD 10k. Didn't really expected much on day #1 of the year. Was great to meet a lot of familiar faces again. Started the race okay, course is a bit up and down, faster km, slower ones, 3 laps. After first 2k the race was almost settled position wise. Moved okay around, but not much left in the legs and energy wasn't high. 2nd lap got passed by two runners, but only one could pull further away. One was Hugh Jones (FLM winner), could not keep up with him. Last lap again, closed on the other chap again, who slowed down and tried to close in on Jones again. In the end didn't get there and finished 16th in 36:03. Quite pleased with the result, didn't ran much better last year, 35:56. The result is in line with my last 5k time = 2x 5k + 1min, pacing was quite even, a tad faster in 2nd half and 3:19 closing km sounds promising.

3:23 / 3:34 / 3:32 / 3:45 / 3:46 / 3:40 / 3:37 / 3:43 / 3:41 / 3:19

Happy new year!
  • Nothing wrong with that Urban - you're coming back.
  • Well after an hour of reading it sounds like everyone has had a good day running or doing some form of exercise to purdge their bodies of the the bad that was consumed last night!!! I stayed alchie free last night but drinking all the booze in the house tonight, 2 bottles of wine, to have a drink free month or 2.

Thanks for the comments.

Would like to congrat everyone on all their training/racing for the first day of the year. Let you all train well and hard with no injuries or illness for the rest of the year. Listen to the body, when it says not to run, don't. Don't go out for the extra miles if it is screaming at you to stay in doors.

SCS
  • Evening all and well done all racers with special mentions to Chris and Debbo.

What: 29.5 km on hilly forest trails in 2hours 23.

Why: Weekly long run but suffering at end as this is longest I have run for some time.

Simon
  • URR- showing some good progress there, esp. with that last km, you'll be back at full fitness shortly I hope!

NZC- thank you for your comments always so insightful and helpful! Hopefully you'll be able to continue with the excellent way you've been running in 2005!

Micksta- yep, no pressure there :O), I'll be happy just to keep improving and getting steadily stronger

BR- yes but it's gonna slow at some point! and that's where it'll start to tell. As we've already talked about, agree with URR. It'll help start to unlock some of your potential, and I think you'd enjoy it to be honest! Barnsely Miler! think the club record may be a bit beyond you though... ;o)

Truth be told I'm expecting quite a heated battle this year! Think it's getting closer now and expecting some very close performances from BR, URR and myself over the next year with hopefully Mickstas training paying some dividends and now the potential of a revival from Pantman. Sodahead probably falls into the 33-34 bracket too I'd imagine!

Though of course the fast chaps who pop in occasionally will trounce the times, think between that group it's gonna be very close.

Also expecting some great running from SiT, that 12 mile time is very impressive!
  • just to add my congrats for today's performances from bambi, chris, lady l and debbo

not forgetting hilly - notwithstanding that unsustainable start, sounds like there's some genuine speed there. Well run anyway.
  • good luck with that course M. What topics does it encompass?

am working thru some papers on an old Mathematical Methods course from the 90s at the moment by way of revision - it all seems to be coming back alright - though I find myself making lots of silly errors when doing the exercises.