Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Hi Paul aka TAFKATAFKAPB5
    I did a fair bit of looking around in order to find decent and reasonably flat half marathons and as you pointed out they are few and fair between but I have found the following which are within a 90min drive from where I live in west London.

Sunday, 20 August 2006
    Burnham Beeches Half-Marathon
    Farnham Common, Buckinghamshire
    Sunday, 27 August 2006
    Vale of Pewsey Half-Marathon
    Pewsey, Wiltshire
    Sunday, 17 September 2006
    Cransley 10K plus Half Marathon
    Kettering, Northamptonshire
    Sunday, 1 October 2006
    Cricklade Half Marathon
    Swindon, Wiltshire

I am using these half marathons over the coming months as hard training sessions run at just inside my target marathon pace. When I trained for my last marathon I added in several 13-14 mile runs at target marathon pace and going by the way my marathon in Boston went I think this type of training session really helped me a lot. And I think it is something worth adding into your training schedule.
    For me I am using half marathons for my marathon pace training sessions as trying to run at my target marathon pace around London on sunny evenings is not really possible as there are so many people out walking or cycling enjoying the weather as opposed to the winter months when it was cold and wet and the street and paths along the river were pretty clear. The challenge with using races for this type of session is to remember that they are training session and not to race them flat out.
    In order to gauge how my training is going I have lined up 2 half marathons which I will race these are Budapest on the 3rd of September and Eindhoven on the 8th of October these are both very flat course which should be a good dress rehearsal for Chicago.
    Darren
  • Anyone doing the Bearbrook 10k tomorrow? I thought I'd give it a go, even though I've had a few days off this week. Darren - also being a West Londoner, I also do my training along the river, which I think is a fab place to run. From what you've said, it sounds like you probably zoom past me on a regular basis.
  • lots of liquid sunshine out there to enjoy today! just did my scheduled 11 miles in 1:31:24 - best run i've had outdoors for ages - love the rain!!

Can't remember who said it but to find your local gatorade stockists put your postcode in here and it'll tell you:

http://www.isitinyou.co.uk/where-to-buy/
  • Hi all,

Got a bit of an achilles niggle that I hope will soon be cured. Trying to bump up the mileage at the moment. Haven't been doing the 20 milers yet, but did the 17 mile 6500 feet ascent Borrowdale fell race in the Lakes last weekend...and got round.

PB - 3:10:59 (BQ!)
    Coops - 3:40
    Lofters - 3:59:59
    AndreaB - 3:59:59
    Y2Jimbob - 3:59:59 and a half
    Big 5 Dreamer - 2:45
    Padams - 2:44:59
    Zed - 4:15
    John Lally - 3:44:59
    Welsh Alex - Sub 3:44
    Champagne - 3:29:59
  • Champagne - 20 milers? Yikes - my long run was a much shorter (yet long right now in the schedule!!) 10 mile run paced by my brother down in Northamptonshire so a rather quick 87 mins which felt great surprisingly....

Tired today though...
  • I had a blooming awful weekend for training - went to France for the weekend and took my kit with the hope of getting maybe a short one in on Sat and a ten miler on Sunday. The weather was so appalling I couldn't get out at all. Got home last night and the weather was ok, so stepped out at 8pm with the aim of doing about 10 miles. Got as far as the end of my street and thunder and lightning statrted and the heavens opened!!

Oh well - there's always next weekend!!
  • Have just joined this thread and looked through a few of the (many) posts. Having entered the race and paid for the flight I've now hopefully recovered from recent injury and have committed to actually running.

Apologies if I've missed any previous postings on the subject but is anybody else travelling alone and willing to meet up for a beer (sorry I mean a soft drink) on Friday or Saturday evening?

I'm staying at the Red Roof Inn just north of the Park and am flying out on Sunday so will unfortunately miss post race festivities.

Unless I can get a few miles under my belt I'm hoping just to finish in time to catch my flight out having run 2h58m at London for the last two years.

Cheers

• "Unless I can get a few miles under my belt I'm hoping just to finish in time to catch my flight out having run 2h58m at London for the last two years"

!!!

Hi Andy - welcome along. Unless you've been rather aggressive with your flight time I think you'll be fine!!

PB
  • Paul

You ain't seen how badly I run when I have an off day!

New York was one of those, but that's another story and thankfully no evening flight out.
  • Ooh - New York. Looking at your picture, I think you ran in the same Foska Union Jack vest as I did New York mara in last year.

Were you there then as well??
    I had a nightmare - first marathon and I went off way too quick. Basically died on first avenue and had the most painful 8 miles of my life after that!
  • I ran a 10k race at the weekend in 49.35 (49.31 on my watch), which I was reasonably happy with, considering that it wasn't completely flat. Speed training tonight - yuck.

Andy - I'm probably going to be going on my own so would be happy to meet up on the Friday or Saturday night. I'd arranged to do the race with a friend, but he's making noises about pulling out. I'm arriving on the Friday and leaving on the Monday.
  • I'm going on my own too - still looking for a training partner in the Chorleywood/Watford area...I'm struggling with the long sessions!!!
  • Training very much back on track after a month off with an injury, did 74miles last week with a 20mile run on Sunday with an average pace of just over 7mins per mile.
    Andy, Andrea Annie I am also going over to Chicago by myself fly out on the Wednesday and plan on staying over in the USCanada for a couple of weeks. I have also got an entry for NY which I might do as well but really would be doing that just for the experience and atmosphere with no worries about my marathon time.
  • If you're just looking for the experience, B5D, then I would highly recommend NYC. 3 million people on the route supporting, FFS!!

It was ace. Other than rading it like an imbecile, that is
  • Andy/Andrea B - am going on my own probably now. boston mate has pulled out due to injury. Staying marriot downtown somewhere but friday and/or saturday I am up for pasta carbo load.

Zed
  • Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy speed training. I'm justifying my 'Hill Session' tonight with the thought that if I can do hills easily now, Chicago will be just a run in the park.........
    I'm doing Windsor Half, though it filled up really quickly. Also doing Stragglers Cabbage Patch 10 which is the Sunday before - fits perfectly with the taper!
  • As a newbie to the thread thanks to all those who replied and it looks as though we've got a pasta party!
    It makes me feel so much better than the thought of sitting alone in a restaurant corner, nervously contemplating the hardship that lies ahead. As there are a few weeks in hand I'll research a suitable restaurant somewhere central, unless anybody has a recommendation already.

Paul - yes I did wear a union jack vest with my name on it for the first time at NYC and although it was probably the only reason I didn't end up walking (can't be seen to be letting the side down while abroad and all that) I'm not sure about doing it again as it was a factor in me going off too fast anyway. It's excusable to get carried away if it's your first marathon but unfortunately I can't use that excuse and was still dead in the water after 10k - it was subsequently the hardest marathon I can ever remember.

B5D - Paul's right in that NYC is an experience and in my opinion very different to London. The course is not one for a PB so it's the right attitude to go into it not worrying about times.
  • Note to self (and hubby) -
    'you will NOT do a PB on Arundel 10K,
    'you will NOT do a PB on Arundel 10K',
    'you will NOT do a PB on Arundel 10K'.......
  • By the way, I'm doing Run London 10K exactly two weeks before Chicago.

Two weeks before London this year I did the Reading half and raced it - I am pretty sure this had a negative impact on my marathon performance.

DO you think it's OK to race the Run London 10K? As it's only 10k surely it will have no impact two weeks later??
  • from previous Run London races I've watched, I think you'll be extremely lucky to able to race it! Tends to be quite congested........ Just enjoy it!
  • I disagree!!

Last year I got right on the start line and was able to race it and set a PB.

I also struggle to enter a race and not give it 100% - a competitive little bugger, you see! And mates of mine will be running in it...
  • I wouldn't say its just you being a competitive little bugger - I think a lot of us are when it comes to race day! (see my mental note previously about NOT trying to set a PB during Arundel 10K, cos its well hilly!) Maybe the congestion problem experienced in early years is what they're trying to overcome with the north v south idea on 2 routes.
  • Andy
    A recommendation for dinner for me would be Harry Carey's restaurant. Reasons to go: always busy, is kind of a sports theme which fits nicely (he was a commentator/baseball guy if you didn't know already), its mid town so accessible and they serve pasta/carbo saturated stuff.....been before and twas good.

• Have been a complete plonker and not tried to book accommodation until now. If anyone knows of anything thats not out by the airport at a sensible price for a double please email me. Staying Thurs - Mon. Can't find much below $300 per night !
  • Looks like you're going to have to try your luck in the nightclubs every night!
  • Thought I was mad Chicago marathon training runs at 6am three times a week - until I saw 2 wet suited folks heading into the Firth of Forth for a swim this morning at 6:30am! Yikes - perspective or what!

My reverse split was much enhanced at the boost half way around.....

11 miles this weekend....put me to shame you high mileage folks out there then!
    Zed
  • I still haven't done any long runs. Various commitments have meant that I've thrown the training plan out of the window and am doing what I can when I can.

5K race tomorrow morning (I hate them!) and hopefully a slow ten miles in the afternoon.
  • I did 14 miles last night and my legs definitely felt like they'd had enough by the end, not sure how i'm going to drag them round for another 12 miles in just 9 weeks time! Just going to do some gentle 5-6 milers this weekend to recover.
  • Afternoon all.

I've finally got my A into G and booked a flight and a hotel room in Chicago. All I need to do is get fit enough to run. I've just had the go-ahead from the physio to start gentle running. So far this week I did about 7 on tuesday and about 5 last night. Plan is to keep running alternate days for now with about an hour's jog penciled in for tomorrow. Don't know how many 20 milers I'll fit in before october though.

TAFKA... I've run halves 2 weeks before marathons with no measureable effects. In fact I've done p.b.'s for both in the past. I'd say racing 2 weeks before is O.K. but it probably is dependent on how much mileage you do. I'd expect though you'd be pretty safe with a 10K. Conventional wisdom is that in those two weeks you want to keep intensity but decrease volume in any case.
  • TAFKA

I also ran Reading two weeks before this years London and felt that it did affect me a little in the marathon. Generally it takes a day for each mile raced to fully recover so a 10k, as others have mentioned, should be ideal as a sharpener.

At the moment I'm on holiday from work and desperate to get out for a long run but I hate getting wet!!