Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    yeah and the burger bun is carboloading as are the fries so based on our diet we'll outrun them all - that is if we can actually get up off our *** and run....
  • Options
    Is it too early to start carbo-loading?
  • Options
    Hal says 1 week beforehand - I'm just practising.
  • Options
    Just got my confirmation ticket in the post - brochure with a sticker on it - don't get too excited - but still! I'm number 32828 .. come and find me at the back..
  • Options
    Wow B5D - I am in awe of your speed. I think I can run 50m for the bus at that pace!

Ben - is your butt ok now?!

My only injury worry is think my toenail might be about to half come off following 17 mile last long run yesterday. Still at 9:30min mile pace though. Note to self don't run on empty stomach as it hits you after 14 miles!!

Carbo loading on bounty bar right now...
  • Options
    Any toenail advice by the way? Should I wear comfy shoes to work all week?!

oh and if you aint running for charity and wanna sponsor me:

www.justgiving.com/zoerunschicago

• Options
    Good man Darren!!! That is phenomenal running... if you can do that with a slight cold you should breeze 2:45 in chicago.

That's one pint we can rely on so!
  • Options
    Zed - I always seem to lose a toenail in a marathon (never the same one fortunately) and they grow back pretty well, but feel really funny if the top one comes off before the new one underneath has grown a bit. I'd suggest micropore tape to hold the top one on (and saves it catching on socks etc) while the new one grows. Can take a few weeks though.....

It buggers wearing open-toe shoes, so good job summer's almost over! just keep it taped up and you'll be fine. Don't even have to wear sensible shoes, but if it's on your big or little toe and you're in pointy shoes it can get knocked. And that feels VERY odd indeed...
    Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Its THAT week isn't it. The Pre-Marathon Lecture from Dad about 'now remember, this is the week to trim your toenails, because the first marathon I ever did, I cut them the night before and did one too short and it was agony for the whole race, so make sure you do it this week so if you do one too short, its got time to grow and you can also make sure that they're not getting ingrown......'
    Odds on I'll get the lecture either at running club tonight, or by email tomorrow.
  • Options
    Good toenail advice E:-), although I've lost one during training, and expect more to follow...could be time to reassess my shoes...
    Oh and I'd go for glory in the race, think of the bragging rights! Maybe introduce a forfeit to spur each other on!

Zed - my butt is still sore and so is my lower back. I actually didn't get to run yesterday but off to the gym after work tonight. I will do plenty of stretching and see how it goes. A sauna afterwards might also help, and that counts as an exercise, doesn't it?!

Okay, after embarrassing songs, what is the tune that has really got you going during training for Chicago?

We could compile a RW Chicago CD :)
  • Options
    got to be kylie - na na na, na na ne na na,na na na etc. etc. etc. on repeat ..
  • Options
    Hi guys - crikey you've been busy on here!!

In no particular order...

Blue Wombat - maybe I should have outed myself as the infamous Balham Bouncer sooner! A Fetch shirt in Chicago would be AWESOME! I don't have one yet as Fetch's order hasn't come from RonHill yet. I'll be in the trusty Union Jack though :-)

Ben - thanks about the time! I'm not a member of a running club near Bushy. I'm a Serpie but haven't been to a Serpie meet for 6 months - just don't have the time

B5D - what a half marathon time. Congrats. As I will mention at the end, my training seems to be paying off too...

Padams/B5D - have you thought of pacing eachother at Chicago??

E - sod the Vaseline - as DieselG said, BODYGLIDE is definitely worth the little bit extra - it's smooth as silk!! And of course you should try and beat your hubby - he'd do the same to you wouldn't he?!

Zed - will sponsor you now

Well, I followed up my 18:20 5K PB on Saturday with a 37:58 10K PB yesterday. I am over the moon. Also think I can go a lot faster than that - legs were a bit tired from Saturday, and I didn't really push it :-)

Still, I'm not going to attempt sub-3. Too frightened of crashing and burning. Boston Qualifier is my priority. B5D / Padams - what do you think? Am I aiming too low?

Taper madness really setting in. I want to run but today's a day off. Will go to the gym after work and do stretching and weights. Then sauna!

Paul
  • Options
    BJP - Am I allowed 2 tunes? (don't run with an iPod so its just whatever's in my head). The Fratelli's Chelsea Dagger and the 'Hey Beautiful Day' song from the phone advert always seems to keep me on the go when I'm out running.
  • Options
    Hi Paul
    Well done on you 10K. The theory is if you can run sub 38Min for 10k and sub 1:23 for a half then you are capable of sub 3hrs for the marathon provide you have a decent endurance base. My view is that in order to run a sub 3hrs you need a very solid endurance base and that means a strong background in an endurance sport such as cycling or have clocked many miles with several 20-22 mile runs. In this situation you have two potential goals with an 11min gap between a sub 3 and the Boston qualifying time of 3:10:59. I would personally start the race in a confident manner and go for sub 3 and even it you don’t get a sub 3 you should, provided you don’t completely blow up and still hit a sub 3:11. Very few road races in the UK will be as flat and fast as Chicago there is therefore every possibility of getting your target time.
  • Options
    I was afraid you might say that, Darren!

Ahead of FLM in April I did 1:23 at Reading half, so thought I'd attempt sub-3. It just didn't happen. Went through halfway in 1:30:00 (well judged!!) but soon after 6:50s became 7's, and I realised I had to slow down to avoid disaster. Last few miles were awful and I finished 3:18.

As you say, I think my problem is not having the history of endurance running. I only started 18 months ago, and have only done three 20m+ runs ahead of each of my three marathons (including Chicago). I think a negative split 3:0*something* might give me the confidence boost that I can mix it with the fast boys in the future. Ultimately I think I am scared of that helpless feeling of getting a marathon wrong
  • Options
    I have also only really got into this long distance running about 18months ago but I do base my training around endurance and neglect speed somewhat and it shows as I ran my 10K pb during yesterdays race. As you have had a bad experience with blowing up would therefore make since to pace it for around 3:04-3:05.
  • Options
    Cheers B5D - interesting to see how you approach your training as well.
  • Options
    I can't believe all the activity and running on here over the past few days. Great stuff, everyone. I went out for 90 minutes yesterday round Cornell uni campus and thought that I was beginning to feel ITB twinges in my right knee. I've had this problem before, also kicking in the day after a long haul flight. Must be coincidence, right? I don't think it's too bad - I've been doing the stretches. If need be, I'll just not run until the big day. At least I'll be over the jet lag by the time the race arrives.
  • Options
    Take it easy Andrea.

Got my confirmation brochure and ticket today. Bib # 6340. I wouldn't mind having that as my placing at the finish line. :-)
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Paul - well done on another PB! I have also heard the thoeretical times Darren has mentioned for sub 3 potential, and agree with his comments on needing a strong endurance base. I don't remember the exact details but the first 10K I ever ran was around 37 mins off little training (just speed which must have remained from my track days) but at that time I wouldn't have got anywhere near 3 hours for a marathon.

I would agree with Darren's latest post - i.e. aim for your goal and not sub 3. I believe in setting a target and focussing on that. This might mean I never quite reach my potential because I am not willing to take risks, but I really enjoyed Chicago last year because I set the target of sub 3 and just ran to that. I only increased the pace in the last two miles when I knew I could not blow up, even though I still felt great at 20 miles. Some might say I could have run 2:55 if I had pushed earlier, but I was happy. Your situation is slightly different though as you have two goals, so it depends whether you are willing to risk not getting BQ for the chance to go sub 3. I think you should get BQ without too many problems if you pace it sensibly. I would also say that I have only been running a couple of years so don't really know what I'm talking about!

Sorry, that was a pretty dull ramble. Had a long day at work - at least today is a rest day!
  • Options
    Paul - taketc...thanks for sponsoring. I am doing pretty well but cancer research said they are not going to Chicago so no massage tent post race. Darn.

Anyone know any sports massage I can book for Monday morning?!?

Toenail looking red and blue....not running until Wed now...feels like being lazy but I shall just eat M&M's instead!

Fave run tune...current one is A Town Called Malice by the Jam and I sort of do a billy elliot kicking the wall action as I speed up!!!
  • Options
    Zed - is the red & blue just very patriotic nail polish?
  • Options
    Hmm, been perusing the booklet (hand delivered to me at work by mum, because she knows how excited I am. sweet hey?) and its interesting - Page 7 states that for safety reasons headphones are not permitted. 'Violators will be disqualified and removed from the course by a Race Official'. How strict they are remains to be seen, but it doesn't bode well for iPod devotees........
  • Options
    E:-), I saw a few people running with earphones last year (one highlight was a guy singing Amazing Grace as he was listening to it, was quite a sweet moment) and I vaguely recall there being a similar notice about disqualification last year...

I'll be using the iPod to get pumped up at the start, then hand it over to one of my support team (i.e. my fiancee!) before starting.
  • Options
    Someone had enough energy to sing AND run? Crikey!
    I am but mortal.......
  • Options
    E;-) Patriotic toe....hmmmn hadn't thought of that. Mine would have to be blue with white saltire on it! or a nice red lion rampant....especially after the recent sporting win over France in Euro2008 qualifiers.

Me running as fast in a marathon as Padams or B5D is as likely as us beating France at footie....
  • Options
    Hello all!

Finally moved into second floor flat... Awesome training, Quads and glutes are now totally f*cked, (along with knuckles, shins, knees and shoulders, all bruised to hell)!

Back on it with a quick hour run on the seafront yesterday (Gotta love marathon training, all of a sudden an hours run becomes 'just a quickie' and anything under an hour is just pointless) and looking to do an hours running in the hour leading up to running club tonight, and then just going straight into the club running for a full 2hour session, then a mini taper before Chicago.

Getting my vests sorted out too. Sewing on badges, and getting names and logos printed off, all very exciting! Can't believe it's less than 2 weeks away now! Soooooo worried.

Started carbo loading last night, not strictly out of choice however. Due to just moving on, we have no food, apart from a bag of pasta, a tin of tomatoes and can of random beans and pulses.
    FILL ME UP BABY!!!!

I-Tune of choice for this maraton's training was Galvanise by The Chemical Brothers.

I Tune to some up the experience..... well, I guess we should reveal those on our returns from Chicago. (I feel an unofficial compilation coming on!)
  • Options
    It's rather clichéd, but the tune that gets me going before a race is Lose Yourself by Eminem.

The opening like is cool, and sums it up nicely. Then you go and run a PW and feel like sh!t!!! :-(
  • Options
    Jim - I can really relate to the moving thing. I was bruised and aching for days afterwards and we also had no food for a long time. Worst of all, I couldn't get out to train during and for some time after, as there was loads of sorting out to do.

I've just agreed to get a train to Milwaukee from Chicago on Monday 23 to go and interview somebody for my work. Didn't feel I could say no, but did point out that I wouldn't be very fast on my feet that day.
  • Options
    Number 5553 :-)

It's getting real now...