Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• "nothing beats the feeling of conquering the distance"
    amen

thanks brassneck, I think I'll get that printed on a t-shirt

• Evening all . .

I've posted some photos from the start, and in Mile 3 and Mile 4 . .

I'm still identifying peeps . . but any help would be appreciated . .
  • stephen, feel free to use my words.letters are like footsteps. when you string enough of them together you can usually get to where you want to be. positivity is the best policy.
  • Rich they are SUPER
    Brings it all back
    the lady welded top me in all my pics is the forumite Limper

good friend of mine
    the blind runner is pual-not a forumite, but a great guy
  • Rich - they are great photos

I am in photo (23rd one on mile 3 page), the one after 1p. I am wearing green shorts/white vest but my number is covered.

• hey you all. this is addictive.a bit like running.reading all the postings brings it all back to me.i think i run like i write. plenty of improvement to come. iamsure. goodnight.

• thanks Hippo :)

cheers, Tick Tock, you're named now :) I'm afraid the larger photo isn't much bigger . . but I'll look out for you in the other shots too . .
  • cyberwebjaws - it's not the FLM who don't want to let micknphil run, it's the local authority safety officers. We had this issue out last year and eventually FLM posted to put us in the picture.

bassy - bo-bo is doing Paris

I have just got back home. Remember to sign up for Copenhagen 2007 in May, everyone :-)

• thanks Biasti . .

I've added some photos Beanz sent me now . . from Mile 6 and Mile 16 . .
  • Thanks Rich,fantastic piccies.
  • RichK - Superb photos. I'm on the left hand shot on the 11th row of pics at mile 3. Blue singlet with light blue and white diagonal stripe, and snazzy yellow Saucony Tangent shoes. What a fantastic job you did both photographing and supporting. The shout of encouragement you gave me around mile 24 was very welcome and much appreciated. Nice to be able to put faces to forum names. I see that I was running among a lot of you though blissfully ignorant of the fact. Sorry, I'll know better next time.

• thanks Steve :)

Liam . . thanks . . I've had a closer look and it turns out that Gazza42 is also in that shot of you in Mile 3 so I've included him (I'd lopped him off originally) . .

then I had another look and found I'd a photo of you with ps66 and Gazz42 in Mile 4 as well . . not sure why I didn't use it initially . . it's there with the others now . .

by the time you got to Mile 24 I was able to look at the numbers on my list . . you were all too close together at other times . . and that's how I came to realise you were a Forumite and call out your name . .
  • Rich, It's that attention to detail and taking the trouble to care that makes me now realise just what a special group of people forumites are. I repeat my heart felt thanks to you all.
  • great piccies rich -thank you! xxx
  • Rich K

Must pass on a huge thanks for the encouragement on the way round, and the great photos ! How you pick people out is a mystery, well done.

My legs are now fine which is good - after my last marathon 3 weeks ago they were a lot stiffer, but then it was a hilly course. I managed 5 miles on Monday, took yesterday off and did 10 k of fartleg intervals tonight on the tready - I am still feeling the buzz from the race.
  • RichK - thanks - nice to see my colleague PP the mad Bratislavan whizzing along (rightmost photo, eighth row, mile 4 (wearing possibly the most enormous shorts in the world).
    Muttley - you are an even worse ham than I am :D
  • I can only see the one picture
    that's been there for a couple of days...

Am I doing something wrong?
  • I like the frog on the home page though...
  • Rich K
    Can you see Dull Napoleon there somewhere? I think I was ahead of him for about 1 mile. #338

And I am dreading the shots from the later stages. You were very supportive, and managed to remember my name, which was significantly more than I was capable of doing at the time.

The tension is almost as exciting as the race itself!
  • MikeFrog - I can't see them either!! But then I am a thicket as far as computers are concerned...

RichK - do you still want my photos from the Pizza Express meal on the Saturday night?

• MikeFrog and Creamcake . . have you tried clicking the refresh button on your browser?

Liam . . thanks again . . I've got a better one of you in Mile 9 . .

Rhino . . sorry I left out our Blue Ice . . you've got your full name now!

Desert Man . . thanks to you too . . and I have to say it's a mystery to me too . . runners in orange caps have an advantage though!!

Fido2Dogs . . I did wonder whose shorts he'd borrowed!!

Blisters . . haven't found one of DN yet . .

Creamcake . . yes please . . I have some from eL Bee and yours would supplement those nicely . .

sorry about the tension . . just to add to it . . I'm not sure when I'll get more posted . . I'll do my best but I wouldn't hold your breath!! It certainly won't be tonight.
  • rich

what is there is GREAT
  • Yep, I've refreshed, RichK

Must be my carpy computer.

I'll send the photos tomorrow now... I'm too tired...

• As usual brilliant Mr Rich K

I don't know wether or not to laugh or cry

i knew i was going to Abo in absolute supreme pyhsical and mental condition

it's also the result of going off nice and steady..

i am now going to spend some time, just thinking about what we achieved ,

it's a wonderful feeling

nothing can take it away...

i've been saying to myself over and over

Still i have life to get on with !!

Good luck to you all

(( BTW Cyber !!!! ))

Luton's, a tough old cookie !!!

3 laps

Could be wet and cold

Never mind !!!

• Hi all, internet problems have stopped me posting up to now.

Well done to everyone on great times. Great to see so many people I recognised as they passed me! BBH - don't recall seeing you, maybe I was on a detour when you passed. If I just didn't recognise you I apologise.

Had a real nightmare & obtained an outstanding PW at 6:17. But then, not all of you lazy lot did the full 28.5 miles did you?

Started off OK for first 2 miles when it became evident my recent bug really hadn't completely cleared up. Not totally unexpected, thought there was about a 75% chance that would happen.

Was in trouble from about 3 miles after which I couldn't keep going for more than 4 or 5 mins without stopping to catch my breath. From 9 miles it got really hard. From then I knew it was going to be a mare & just saw it as a mental battle to get to the end.

Got sent the wrong way at 18 miles. Was more annoyed that after a mile & a half detour I told a marshal asking him to make sure no-one else did the same. He was totally disinterested & I later found out someone was sent that way after I spoke to him. At least 3 of us did that detour.

Half a mile from the end I went wrong again (my fault this time) in what by this time was tipping rain.

With the above exception, was very impressed with the marshalls who were all incredibly encouraging. Was surprised and pleased to see the clock still going when I got back.

Looking forward to Luton for redemption.
  • Hi RFB - I was probably behind you most of the way - I nearly went astray at mile 18, but luckily a marshall ran after me - sorry I mean walked at a sedate pace and easily caught up with me - to tell me my mistake.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    RfB - hope you're OK now, sorry to hear you had such a tough race.

Rich - great photos, lots of my girls, thanks.
  • Running For Beer - well done on completing it and getting full value for money with the extra bits of course. I hope you didn't catch too much else in that heavy rain when it arrived.

Rich - thanks! And apparently the guy in the Fetch shirt is "Gogster"

• Quality snapping there Rich - you've got me in the mile 3 set on the picture to thre right of the one featuring Darkman. Number 782, with blue top, bumbag and a lucozade in my left hand just behind the lady runner.