Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Funny! I had green tea the night before the mara and got runner's trots for the first time. SO it must be true!!!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Just been perusing RichK's fantabulous photo set. Sterling work!

I may have been swooping and soaring at mile 4 but by mile 24 I'd definitely crashed and burned :-(
  • Muttley, when I saw the photies I thought, at least there's someone who's an even bigger ham than me... (I confess to doing an airplane impersonation at some point round the death loop but by then everyone was looking at their feet). You still came in before me though mate! How fast could we go if we didn't stop to mug for the cameras eh?
  • well, of COURSE my posing for the camera and my socail stop for gin cost me a sub 5

ha ha !
  • Ahh Fido2Dogs,

Did you post a message ages ago about asking for a toilet, then there wasn't one there?

The marshal in Sutton Courteney (about 13 miles, half way ish) told me someone had asked for a toilet but when they went to find it, it wasn't there.

The marshal did feel really bad about this as what happened was one of the locals came out and offered the use of his outside toilet for the runenrs whilst we were preparing for you guys arrival. The problem was, he didn't explain very well where it was!

So if we could apologise about this, as we understand it must have been frustrating for you. He was only trying to help, as we were too - but it back fired a bit!

Mark Stewart
    Marshal Coordinator
    Abingdon Marathon
  • well

THAT post says it ALL about this race

How sweet of you Mark
  • I used that toilet behind the ambulance to the left a black door, nice old chap whose outside privvy it was, shame about the spiders!!!!!!

didn't finish the course Mark but the marshalls were brill and even the men in the minibus, thankyou.
  • Signing off from this thread now. I hope to see you all at Abingdon next year or maybe some of you at Lochaber in April.

Best wishes to you all.

Over and out.
  • Snaps thanks for clearing that up about FLM. I know the health and safety people are there for are protection but sometimes they really piss me off.

It was nice to meet you on Sunday, would have hung around to chat for longer but I really wanted to get under 4 hours. 3:58:41.
    Once I got into 10k territory I know only the wall or an injury would stop me getting it.
    I've got a good photo of the two of us, that my mum took. let me have your e-mail address and I'll get her to e-mail it to you.
  • Rich K thanks for the photo's their great.
  • Yes, thanks to all of the identical RichK triplets
  • Cyber

There story does not add up

Not in the slightest

i'm too tired to go through it all tonight

But if you want it explaining , i will again !!

• Whose health, and whose safety anyway ? Mick is an experienced, acomplished endurance athlete. He has pushed Phil in numerous races through crowds without compromising either his ( or Phils ) safety, or the safety of any other competitor, marshall, or spectator. The FLM ( and presumably the Health and Safety jobsworths ) permit people with ladders, and other impedimenta,and allow groups of people " tied " together as caterpillars, Viking ships etc. This is NOT to decry the valliant efforts of those people - I find running the marathon hard enough dressed in a singlet and shorts and carrying a watch - good luck, and respect to them making it tougher for themselves in the promotion of excellent causes. But if they can take part with the " risks " they must potentially pose, why can't Mick and Phil with their outstanding track record ?
  • someone post a link to the thread
    or we will go over all this again
  • Liam

Thanks pal... You are right

FLM, are way out of order

if i was a novice then fair enough

Dublin gave me the ok by e mail within minutes

FLM, There story does'nt add up

Do you want me to repeat it and go on tv and repeat it

if FLM piss me off, they 'll have me personally to deal with

All of you only know Polite Mick

Any one stands in the way of my family

Do i have to say anymore

They might mess with a lot of people

I don't put up with being pissed about

The only reason, i've kept quiet, is i don't want to mess up what i've achieved, and cause any problems

on the other hand, if FLM team think they worry me, that can bloody well think again

Am, i pissed off yes i am

i was on front lead vehicle, what did we pass, the last wheelchair, who, incidentally i've beaten at St neots even

So if any one , in the world of running in London wants to piss me off , i'm here !!!!!!!

Ready and waiting

I,ve spent the best years of my life caring for my sick son

tell the B****Ds that
  • PH - Apologies if I've disturbed an issue previously laid to rest. I didn't know as I wasn't taking part in the life of the forum till recently. However, if it's not sort of obvious from my name, I'm Irish, and we do love a fighter. We also have a great affection for those under the cosh of ( pointless ? ) bureaucracy. There is probably a very sound reason on the thread to which you have referred, but I still find it hard to comprehend.
  • Liam

mate

there whole story is utter bollocks

have you seen the FLM 2006 video

i have, take a look at it

it made my blood boil

samaritan cake god knows how wide etc...etc

The sheefield bloke pushiong a 4 wheeled pram collecting money

And thats all FLM is about MONEY

If you've not run London , your not a marathon runner

Well i've got news for them

FLM, is a wee baby compared to what we've done

if they gave me just days notive, i'd be there and hammer it

i would'nt need months of prep

So if any one else wishes to reignite the issue, lets do it

lets piss them off

Cos, they abused my phil's Human Rights

• Liam, and Mick as well.

Be careful here.

It's all a bit political. FLM have a very very clear rule about No wheeled vehicles on the marathon course. Yes they do have a wheelchair race for hand propelled chairs. These used to start at the back of the pack, and have to work though. But the quickest are faster than the fastest elites. So they elected to start them off the front, with a bit of a lead, in their own race. OK so a few are overtaken by the sub 3:15s, but all have to have proven a competitive time before they can start.

If M&P were allowed (as I think they should be) then the organisers have a potential problem. This could open the flood gates to other chair pushers who don't have the same race craft.

Personally, I'd say yes, provided that the chair carried a warning flag, like a fishing rod or aerial above head height. And that they started at the correct marker: the same as the rest of us.

<<<Stands back for the "incoming".>>>
  • Now if the BBC got the story, wouldn't that be interesting?

One thing I've spotted about David Bedford and his organisation, is that they are flexible. If they stuck rigidly to their own rules then oooh I could list a few who wouldn't have got in.

Like P Radcliffe.....
  • Hi Blisters,

The problem appears to be once again, " Rules " for rules sake. There should be NO flood gates. Take each case on its own merits, rather than apply a blanket one size fits all policy. If anyone else can provide the unassailable evidence of the track record of achievement that Mick and Phil can, then let 'em in. If they can not, then by all means exclude them until such a time as they can.
  • Does anyone know if there were any official photographers there on the day?
  • I WOULD JUST LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT

I am NOT feeling Nick L's bum.

No further comment as it would surely get someone into an emabarassing situation.

At least I would have looked as though I was enjoying it, though.

Opportunity wasted.
    :-(
  • Great pics, Rick.

If you do me a print of that one for the "office" wall I'll find you a thank you present.

• thanks K2 . . I'll see what I can do :)

glad you like them

over 450 visits to the Abingdon photos today, thanks :)

I've added photos from Mile 9 today . . but the rest will have to wait until next week I'm afraid . .

Gazza42 . . there's a reasonable photo of you amongst the Mile 9 set . .

shame Kevin H has signed off as there's another one of him, as well . .
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Richk

had a look at the photos the other night and was amazed to see me there in the mile 3 photos, never even saw you taking that.
    Like always the photos are amazing and as good as those official ones taken if not better.

Can't wait to see me later on when I look like my legs have dropped off (they certainly felt like it at the end). All I know is that the cramp I got at 20 miles in the right calf was the worst I've ever had and hurt like hell, talk about 3 wheels on my wagon more like one wheel.

Just entered Barcelona marathon which is in March next year, fancy running a race together with some sight seeing on a long weekend. Talk about glutton for punishment I'm already looking for the marathons to run next year, I'm running Worksop half this Sunday as well.
  • RichK

Checked out the photos and they are quite simply amazing... Clean, clear, sharp images even better than the offical 'crap out of focus' ones I'm used to receiving...

You even managed to get my brother on one of them.

Cheers. Many thanks... Excellent stuff.
  • Rich, I'd better say this now before the pictures from later miles go up, but thanks for making me actually look like I'm running, rather than sinking into the ground, which is what all my usual race pictures look like!

Mwah!

• thanks again everyone :)

Darkman . . I ran Barcelona in the 90's when the course was different to nowadays . . it's on my list of races to return to some day . .

ST . . thanks . . quite a compliment!! From my point of view it could have been a brighter day but that would have made it less pleasant to run in . . and compared to the forecast and the weather elsewhere on Sunday morning we were very fortunate!

Kath . . I know just what you mean because so many running photos of me make me look as if one of my legs is kind of telescopic and has contracted down towards the ground!! And a big Mwaaaaaaaahhh back atcha ;)