Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Rich, photos are amazing. I'm at mile 3, (no.337) behind Lee G (a fellow club member). Also spotted my face behind runner 225 at mile 9. As this race is my proudest running moment - very chuffed with the photos. Thanks
  • I keep saying I did it, I did it, I did it. Then I well up with pride, it's a great feeling.

Someone asked me on Monday,when I was still stiff and aching if it was worth it and I said no. Since then I've changed my mind, and yes it was worth every painfull step in training, the last 3 weeks were hell, at one point I laid on my bed and nearly cried because I my ankle was aching so much I didn't think I was going to be able to do the marathon, then my knee started to play up, but I convinced myself that was my mind playing tricks on me.

I suspect everybody goes through pain of one sort or another during and after the race.

Was it worth it, will I do it again?

YES YES YES it was. I hope to see some of you again at another one sometime in the future

LOL LOL
  • Just read the review, from Paddy, He said he won the race then was disquilified. Anyone know why?

• If you are talking Abingdon it seems that the winner aledgedly used someone elses number and that's against the rules.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mick - the directory is moving to the RRC (and later TRA) website for 2007 so won't have a book. Are you an RRC member?

cyber - was disqualified for running under somebody else's number didn't do the necessary transfer with the race organisers.
  • Shades

yes we are members of RRC...

I have the book they sent me, which i believe you designed

At least it has your details in it !!

yes i've just looked , your details are on page 2

RRC and TRA directory

So, me not being very great on computors, where do i look in future please !!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mick - as you're a member of the RRC you will be able to access the directory on the RRC website. It's not set up yet but should be done by January.
  • well looks like this thread is slowing down, obviously I now have unfinished business with Abo, probably have to try again next year!! all that training in the heat yeuk!

so take care everyone and might see some of u next year....xxxxx
  • Steve x and shades thanks for that. His name says it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cybes

How's those little legs of yours then

We've just run Worksop very undulating half in 1.54

So, how are u ,

i so enjoyed running with you Clive, you know !!

Course, as i said to you, had it been a half marathon, you would'nt of seen me for dust !!

LOL ROFL

Bee good ahh

Mick 4.03
  • Hi Mick hope you enjoyed Worksop. I was taking a rest supporting Mrs SteveX round the Barnes Green Half.
  • Hi Steve

yes thanks it was brilliant

Could'nt quite shine after last week, but never mind

Nice to know your wife runs as well

Take care

Mick
  • Finally getting a chance to check in after the race - took half term off work and haven't been able to get to a reliable 'puter all week.

First thing to say is thanks to everybody involved with this. I had a great day and I suspect that all the behind the scenes work done by the organisers helped me exceed my pre-race hopes by s significant margin - getting home in just over 3:32 was several minutes better than I had dared believe possible. In future, perhaps I should rely on the fact that I feel comfortable rather than spending the first twenty miles worrying that I've gone off too fast.

Thanks also to all the support around the course - apologies if I didn't acknowledge everybody at the time - certainly, I know that I was shouted at as I came back to the track but had my mind on standing upright by that stage. Particular thanks to RichK for the smile and for the great piccies on the site.

Good to meet a few people - hope to meet you again some time. Next marathon will be Windermere in May - any takers over and above those already on the appropriate thread?
  • Mick 4.03, my little legs are doing very well, thanks.

Had a good run at Ricky road race, a nine miler on Sunday, 1:10:?

Ran with my friend Sharon so not as fast as it could have been.

And I let Brooks the Beast beat me, as a birthday present.

Now I can kick his butt at Luton.

Yes it was good running with you too. we can do it again at Luton, But I'll be runing at 7.45-8.00 pace. so if you fancy a fast start.

It will be good to see you there.
    and I'll bring the photos.

LOL
  • Hi Cybes

No way, i'm doing a 5 .00 hour job at Luton, i'm just going to relax this time

i'm happy as can be with what i've achieved

i 'll race again sometime in 2007

I going to run Luton and enjoy it !!

Take care of those little legs

LOL LOL

Mick n Phil 4.03

• evenin' all . . just to let you know that I've added photos from Mile 18 this evening . .

thanks again for the kind comments, I've added references to those Forumites you've pointed out and I've found The Wife :)

a few of you have e-mailed me about photographs and I will get back to you soon . .
  • Thanks Rich. More great photos.
  • Rich, thanks for all the great pics.

I'm in a pic with four other guys, 22 rows down from the top / or 9 up from the bottom if you prefer.

Cheers

Steve
  • Thanks again Rich - I even look like I'm running this time.

Also can't quite believe how much of this race I spent virtually alongside Nick L without realising who he was. Must pay more attention at pre-start gatherings.
  • Rich

Boing ...

You good chap you !!

Phil say's hi

Thanks

Mick
  • Tahnks Rich. Excellent.I have both feet off the ground and am looking happy!
  • Hi Rich,

great photos. You got one of me. In the mile 18 pics, the section of "people who aren't forumites" (OK, so I do mostly lurk), 7th row down, last picture in the row, yellow Finch vest. The big version would be much appreciated, you're a star!

Is #769 in the picture above practicing shot-put?
  • Thanks again Rich. Echoing the others here, but outstanding photography. Your unstinting and unselfish efforts have made everyone's experience of what was a great day even better. I'm really enjoying looking through the entire gallery.

• thanks everyone (again!) . .

Steve65 - I knew that! not sure how/why I missed you but you're restored to the Forum!

CumbriAndy . . pretty decent shot of you in Mile 25 too :-)

Mick . . hi to you . . and Phil too of course :-)

SteveX . . glad you like that one coz you're a bit fuzzy in Mile 25!! I think you accelerated to quickly for the camera ;-)

OMFA . . I've added you to the Forumites and linked to a larger shot . . can't find you anywhere else though . . talking of shots . . he probably is!!

LD . . thanks again . . I think you'll be pleased with your Mile 25 photo . . personally I think both feet off the ground less than 2 miles from home is showing off ;-)

anyway . . there's more . . . photos from Mile 25 . . a few taken at the track when I made it back there . . and a few taken in the bar afterwards . .

when you get your results you'll probably receive a photograph taken as you crossed the finish line. If anybody wants to scan theirs in and mail it to me I'll add it to my photos . .

still a few more photos to add . . those from Saturday night that eL Bee sent me . . Pit Stop Crew's photos from the start and some that Lurker sent . .

so keep watching this space!!

• sorry . . for Lurker read Limper . . ooops
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Oh jeez ... I was hurting at mile 25 and doesn't it just show.

I think it was mean and rotten to lurk round a corner ... no time to straighten up and smile and pretend not to be a shambling wreck.
  • Perhaps, a bit like upcoming drinks stations, there ought to be a warning notice " Photographer 200m ahead. " Then it's head up, chest out, check stride and try to look like a runner again. A comb and face flannel on an adjacent table might not go amiss either.....