Options

Rhayader 'Round the Lakes' 20

Comments

• Options
    well, what a day. very cold and windywhich made it hard work. I was pleased with my time of 2:19, which should put me on course for sub 3h at london (just).

Well done all. Last year it was so hot, this year so cold, what next year?

Well done matt on your win. Stourbridge had some good results today. Me and Ian price had a battle from 15 and i weren't going to loose,lol.
  • Options

Hi people,

Well done Matt, SP et al. I will race you all next year, but will need a jetpac !

Blimmin freezing and basteward headwinds. Frozen to the bone despire dressing warmer than I thought I should have done.

Caz, on checking I actually did 3:34 last year so not as bad as I had thought. Out time to 13 miles this year was one and a half minutes faster would you believe ! Last year I was running sub 9 miles to mile 13 then suddenly went down to sub 13 minute miles, like someone had flicked a switch. Maybe it really was the Mars bars ?

Oh, and in answer to your question, Gales. Next year put 3 choices of nice weather in the title.

Sorry I missed you SL. I saw a few from, your club on the route but really could not hang arround at the finish line to spot you as I had planned sice I was just too cold. Will have to have a fool-proof plan next time.
  • Options

The 3:34 for last year in the above post should be 3:24. Typo.
  • Options
    Anyone know where results will be on net(eventually)
  • Options
    Evening all, going to copy my race report from FetchEveryone. Because I'm a student and lazy :o)

Great race, superb marshalls - all supportive to the last - and a great place to run. Only complaint was the length of time to the awards - understandable that people need to finish first, but rather than messing around for ages it'd be nice if a time could be put in the programme so we can sit in the pub rather than on the floor in the sports hall instead!

Race went well for me... deliberately slow(ish) - aiming to run roughly 7:30 min miles, given the hill between miles 3 and 6, a 1:14:20 split for the first 10 miles was great and under 1:13 for the second 10 despite running into the wind and a loo break was probably even better. Overtook plenty of people in the last three miles - hi again if I came past - and felt I could have gone on without too many problems. Final time 2:27:35 and feeling relatively fresh right now. Looking good for London :o)
  • Options
    really bitter this year, finally finished in about 2.45 that wind coming back was hard work, enjoyed it tho.
  • Options
    All, well done on your times. Found the hills weren't as bad as I had expected (first time doing this race for me) especially with the wind behind us but I'm not so good on the downhills. And the wind by the reservoir.............

Anyway, did 2.42.05 which I am pleased with. Felt good all the way round and just ran at my own pace so finished strongly.

Shaw - well done on a great time, hope you get your sub 3.00 at London.
  • Options
    P.S did Matt win?

We're at the same club but I went straight home to warm up .
  • Options
    Well done everyone!!! Bit of a battle of wills eh?? Jesus it was cold - couldn't feel my fingers to open my gels - and that was with gloves on!!! You all did FAB times - I waddled in at 3-41 and a few seconds, but did beat my 2003 time by about 17 minutes - and ran all the way up that bliddy hill!!!! Can't wait for next year!
  • Options
    Excellent run, I am really pleased with my time of 3:18 it was my first outing on hills, My longest run and only 2nd ever over 14 miles and my first run on road, You may have seen me heading for the verge where ever I could. Well only if you were near the back. I managed a sprint finish and don't feel too bad today! been for a walk with dogs as I couldn't manage a recovery run. It has definately given me confidence for Marathon. Hi Jan thanks for the support and staying out in the cold for the back markers.
  • Options
    Well done everyone :-) and a special well done to Matt for getting 1st (again!!) ;-)

Running Caz here

Really enjoyed it this year and managed to run the whole thing (other than the hill at 18.5-19 but that was a concious decision rather than a flake out). Finished about 20 mins quicker than last year at 3:03 so I'm really pleased. Finished strong and know I had more to give :-)

WA - thanks for company. How did today go? I've been out and done a 6M :-) My ladies team got 3rd prize in the awards by the way :-)

Jan - was nice seeing you supporting at mile 19, thanks for the cheer :-)
  • Options
    Excellent race. Got round in 2:48 after setting myself a target of 3 hours, so very pleased, except in the knee region.

Thanks to all the marshals, who must have been even colder than we were.
  • Options
    Results are up on www.ukresults.net.
    Well done Matt - being first is becoming a bit of a habit!!
  • Options
    Cool - they've got me down at 3-40, a while minute less than I had whooppee!
  • Options
    A 'while' minute less?? Meant to say 'whole' !! I'm sure there were loads more people behind me - what happened to them?? We overtook 3 on the last hill. D'you think they're still up there somewhere?
  • Options

SL - I have never passed so many blown-up runners in all my life as I passed between 17 & 20. This is partly because there were loads of blown-up runners and last year I didn't pass any of them because I was one myself ! So, in answer to your question I think there must be one or two still out there.
  • Options
    I drove round the course this morning and there were a couple round the 13 mile mark. Mind you, they were heading the other way so maybe they got confused.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much ascent/descent there was on the event?
  • Options
    According to my Garmin and Sportracks around 3200 feet in all.

As for people going the wrong way, I was kinda confused when I met my coach just after 15 miles running in the wrong direction. Gave me some quite helpful advice though - to sit behind other people till we reached the visitors centre so that I didn't overdo it in the wind. It worked, because much like WA I was streaming past people beyond that, even at the 17.5/18 mile hill.

If I'm not training for a marathon next year, now I know the course I should be able to slash a huge chunk off my time :o)
  • Options
    Congrats to everyone on their performances and achievements on Sat.

Nice to meet WA. Well done this year!

Well done to you too RC, and I'm honoured to have been part of your award winning team :)

I found the hilly bits a killer, but now the memory has subsided I'm already thinking of next year and beating this year's time of 2:38 :)
  • Options

Hi UM, nice to meet you too and what a cracking time !

Caz, I din't do the FoD in the end. When I was in bed at 8 I felt knackered but having got up at 9 I felt fine and really could have gone although by then it was too late. 2 hrs in gym instead. An excellent result for your team. Was the prize cider ?
  • Options
    Well done everyone, sounds liked we all did better than we expected.
    Congrats to the girls (RC & UM) for the team prize, hope you finished all the wine before you got off the coach. Sorry I didn't come over for a chat.
    SP-Your getting faster every race. Pricey had a good run so you did well do beat him.
    Jan-Looked out for you at mile19 but think you were still inside.
    Ronnie-It was probably me and my mate you saw running yesterday backwards round the course (we got picked up after 8 or 9 miles though:) )
    Cheers for the link Jayne and well done.

Suprised myself again yesterday. One guy broke away up the hill and was 3mins clear. I spent mile 6 to mile 15 continually getting dropped by 2nd place on the ups and then catching him up on the flat and downs. At mile 15 we could see the lead car slowing so worked eachother until we passed the leader at mile 18. The hill at 19 felt harder than the first big hill. I broke away at 19.5 on the drop to the river only to get caught agin going up to the clock. Last 200m was a sprint finish(probably looked more like fast walking, but it was as fast as I could manage) and just about held the lead to finish in 2:02:59.
    Funnily enough both of our wives (who have never met) ran round the course together too.
    Another brilliant Rhayader race. Only gripe, mentioned before, is the presentation. Even more unprofessional than last year. So bad I had to laugh. We were in stitches when the woman ordered the boys 'Out of the Hall NOW!'
  • Options
    Matt,

The presentation could have been midnight without the Gaffers' constant hassling.
  • Options
    WA - prize was a bottle of wine :-) Could have had at least another pint in the pub though as the presentations were delayed. 2 hours in the gym yesterday!!! That's dedication!!! :-)

MTB - Thanks :-) and congrats again to you. Where is your next adventure?
  • Options
    RC-Compton 40 on Saturday.

Anyone know who the photographers were or if there are any pics on a website? I'm sure there were some online last year but can't remember the address.
  • Options
    I have ran in 8 marathons over the last few years but i can say that was one of the hardest things i have ever done.
  • Options
    Well done to all those who took part, Was wondering if anyone had seen any results for the 5 mile race, cannot find it on the web. It was my wifes first race and it would be good if she had a copy.
    thanks alot
  • Options
    I have nothing but HUGE admiration for all of you who completed the 20 mile race on Saturday. I couldn't do it in the end because of a foot injury (physio banned anything above 10 miles) but did the 5 miles and the headwind by the dam was bad enough at mile 1, let alone mile 15.

I probably saw most of you finish as was clapping team-mates in (sorry, missed Matt the Brum as he was too fast) and was amazed how perky most people looked (even if you didn't feel it).

morgrunning - no haven't seen any 5 mile results but they were calling out numbers and times for us when we finished and there was a man with a clipboard so it's a shame they're not with the others....
  • Options
    Sian- thanks, yes it is a shame they can't list them along side the 20 results.
  • Options
    MTB - 40M, yuk!!! All the best :-)

re the photo's - I can't remember seeing any on-line last year, but I know I recieved one in the post at some stage!?!?