Rhayader 'Round the Lakes' 20

Comments

• None in Swansea, but it is bloody freezing out. I am really hoping for milder weather, but not as hot as last year.
  • Erm... no need for any of us to bother finding a pub showing the rugby on Saturday after this weekend's performances, I would have thought.
  • Fair enough no replies! I just realised I cant run that weekend anyway!

• Hey, sorry about that TW. I have been following the thread but thought that someone who had done the 5 may reply. From what I can gather the 5 is the last 5 of the main run. I would call it flat-ish. As much as I know, but a shame you can't partake now.
  • Having just driven the entire distance of the A44, I can confirm that Rhyader is cold and snowy at the moment, as is most of mid-Wales until you get within about 10 miles of Aberystwyth. The roads themselves seem to be fairly clear though (although I only drove on a tiny bit of the route).

Views are still nice though - just white instead of green and brown!
  • Forcast is Snow for Friday clear on Sat. I was really hoping it would warm up but I guess that's not going to happen. Anyone fancy a 20 mile snowball fight!
  • For the second year running, I have entered this, but will be able to run. I am tempted to come along and watch, so does anybody (Jan Davies?) know if there are any really good watching places which I can either drive to or reach easily from the main parking for the race?

Lucky all of you who are able to go through the suffering, and Good Luck

• I have a cold which has just broken out. Will have to look after myself this week to make sure it doesn't get worse.
  • I did a half marathon y'day with a cold and now feel even worse. Will have to take it a bit easier this week.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Could anyone confirm that numbers will be available on the day. In the pack I have it says in very pale (potentially over-photocopied leaflets!) writing that I would get a number on the day, but I got this weeks ago so don't understand why this would be the case when others have their number.

Is it cos I am only doing the 5?
    Hmmm......

Going up on my own I think. Haven't a clue where I am going and think I might wimp out after a weekend of travelling around France to do a half (it was great, but I never want to have to travel again!).

Fingers crossed someone from the club has dropped out and there is a place on the club bus!!!
  • Snow!!!!

Eeek - beginning to wish I was just a supporter for this one - oh well, I will just have to think of nice big drink at the end of it!!!
  • MTB - numbers for the coach are dropping again. Nibbs is injured so he can't make it and Waylander was never really sure anyway. Will need places for myself, Ultra Minnie and Mark (cobra) please, cheers!

Sorry to hear so many people can't make it or are coming out in colds (WA look after yourself as I will NEED your company!!)

Think the smow may be my fault, was actually joking when I started the thread 'gails, heatwave or snow' whoops!! ;-)
  • Jen,
    I've got a photocopied leaflet also with a running number written on and I'm doing the 20 (with some trepidation). Do we have to register on the day and then pick up the running number. Come on you vets - enlighten us novices!

• Unless I am dead, I will be there Caz, and I think I need your support too as it goes. Blowing nose furiously today but glad it has finally broken out and turned in to proper man-flu (aka mild runny nose). I think I have been harboring the virus for about 2 weeks. Now it has broken out I have a good chance getting better.
  • Done this a number of times before and yes it is normal to pick up numbers on day
  • Jen... where you travelling from? Rhyader's pretty simple to find, and the car park's pretty obvious when you get there too. It's one road all the way from Oxford into Wales for it!
  • Jen - from Pont easiest way to follow is Merthyr ; Brecon; Builth Wells; and finally Rhayader. Pretty sure they are all well sign posted as you get to each one and when you come to Rhayader it's fairly easy to find - car park right next to centre may be full and most people then park in streets nearby.
    I would allow at least 90 minutes to get there as although its not that far mileage wise it's easy to get stuck behind slower moving vehicles and there are not that many passing places.
  • WA - Good, good :-) I'm taking the prep for this quite seriously and am not making any socialing plans for Thurs and Fri and intend to be in bed early and alcohol free on both nights. However, there is a lot of training to be done this week so my legs may be tired. I wont have a rest day now until Sun/Mon, although Fri is just a gentle 4M and Thurs is a slow 9M. The effort sessions I've rearranged to be today and tomorrow. Think thats sensible although I dont really know!!?!?!?!?!

Was thinking about dropping out, but now that the physical pain and mental anguish from Sun has subsided, I'm wondering what all the fuss is about (until Sat that is ;-))

• Good indeed Caz. My running was going well last week until Sun when I started to feel under the weather. Will have to have today off too and see if I can recover by Wed or Thur to do a bit of training.

I think any running done by Thurs, so long as it is not hammering yourself, should be fine.
  • Everyone picks numbers up on the day. This is so the organisers know exactly how many runners have started so they know if anyone gets lost in the hills and needs rescuing.

RC-I'll tell our organiser 3 people then. I'll find out what time its leaving tomorrow night.

I have also developed Manflu. Had a day off work yesterday and on the mend. Just hope I can get it all out of my systme for Saturday.

After the weather in previous years snow was inevitable:)
  • All, sorry haven't read back on this thread but..where are the hills in the race?Want to make sure that I pace myself well.
  • Jayne-Its pancake flat, no hills to worry about:)
    Save yourself for mile 3 to mile 6.5 then there's nothing to worry about. Have a chat with us lot tomorrow night. Are you getting the coach?
  • Anybody know the long range forecast yet?? Will there be snow?? Do I need crampons, do you think??
  • Thanks Matt. I am Cheltenham Festival tomorrow on a corporate do so won't be at the club - the all day drinking session isn't ideal for marathon preparation but trust it will count as carbo loading?!
    Not sure about the coach - think Tim is doing the 20 miler too (Bill is not allowed). Matt, do you know what time the coach leaves?
  • Jayne-Just emailed Ingrid about that. Will be posting what time the coach leaves on here as some runners on this thread are coming along. Enjoy Cheltenham.
  • Flashspread. There's not many places you could pull in to watch the race, without getting a bit in the way of the runners. However, I think as the route is a big circle, you could drive round it, though the organisers do ask that cars go round the opposite way to the race and the roads are narrow, so it's not ideal.

Weather report

I'm looking out at the 19 mile point. The 4 inches of snow we've just had has more or less gone. The route is clear. I'm happy to let you all know the what the weather is actually like here the day before and whether it tallies with what the forecast says.

I think Matt cleared up the numbers thing, but yes, you do pick them up on the day.

Am beginning to wish I'd trained for this again this year. Even though I can run it any time, the race does have a great atmosphere and I hope you all have a fantastic experience.
  • So does this mean, I need my gloves and hat??
    Do we know what sort of time the last ones in are expected???
    (just so I know what time I'm looking at)
  • Thanks very much for the info Jan!! Getting excited .... and scared !!!! I'll be right at the back, so give me a wave!!!