Rhayader 'Round the Lakes' 20

Comments

• I'm loooking forward to this one. I had a bad run at gloucester 20 the other weekend so this is my revenge. Got to remember not to kill my self on the first hill.

Just got some new trainers which seem to be putting my ankle injury abay.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one too. As I'll be travelling from London, I'm another one who'll be making a weekend of it.

With FLM the focus, I won't be 'racing' it, but, going by the comments on here, and the description of the course by the organisers, ie "the cemetary being a morbid reminder of the trial ahead" this will be the toughest 20 mile run I'll have attempted. Hopefully, the marathon should feel like a stroll in the park after this...yeah, right....
  • Another one up from London here, similarly planning to take it (relatively) easily... mind you, had to bribe the family with a weekend away to get up to this one.

Anyone who has done this before - in terms of time, how does this compare to your normal flattish 20 milers?
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know that too. I'm from the 'North', Ronnie, so am used to banging out the miles around the relatively hilly enclaves of Highgate, Hampstead, Muswell Hill etc, but I know they won't compare to this...
  • Muswell Hill and Ally Pally compare to anything this side of the Himalayas in my experience, Susie.
  • RW & SB - I checked the results of last year's Gloucester 20 (which is flattish) with this and found that one guy at the back of the field (like me) took just under 4 hours for Gloucester and just under 4 1/2 for this - I imagine this differential decreases the faster you are :-) Hope this helps....
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I've got a place on the club bus - woohoo!!!
    See you there on Saturday!
    Woohoo!!!
  • Matt - I'll look out for further info re the coach later. Thanks.

RC - might be another cold and windy 20 this week.
  • Thanks SianH, that has put my mind at rest.
    Going by my Gloucester result, I'm looking at 4 hours! (that's a long time to be running..) Yikes
  • just thought you'd like to know. There are lots of new born lambs round the valley right now - an extra thing to enjoy as well as the fantastic scenery.
  • Thanks Jan I'm going to need all the distraction possible as this will be the longest run I've ever done.
  • Does anyone one know what the combined hill climb is. Any advice for the big hill somewhere round mile 3-6. I don't know if I should just walk up it then run or jog and hope my legs survive the rest?
  • Depends how used to hills you are I guess. The long hill has one section which is steeper. The first part is okay, then you cross a cattle grid and go through some trees. After the trees the road steepens for a while up to a bit beyond the top of a small waterfall.(don't know how far the section is, but it's not much of the overall hill) It then is more gradual again for the last mile. I would say don't be daunted by it, take it easy and if you feel you want to conserve enrgy, walk that steeper section and then you'll be fine running again for the last mile of more gradual hill. That's what I often do with it anyway. I have run the hill often and my time has not been much different whether I've run the whole hill, or run and walked the steeper bit.
  • And the hill has loads of false summits so expect it to keep going for ages.
  • Oh blimey. What about the rest of the course after that? Any nasty surprises later on?
  • RC and UM- Just had a text from our social secretary. 3 seats booked on coach for you. Leaves at 09:30 from Magnet carpark next to Stourbridge FC (same place as last year) and its £10 each. Let me know if anyone else wants a seat.
  • MTB - wasn't it a pub car park last year? But ok, cheers will be there :-)

UM - I can give you a lift on the Sat a.m although you'll have to be prepared for early start and a bit of a game. Will be dropping the Kids off at 8:15 in Willenhall and then driving to Nibbs' to leave my car there. Mark is then going to pick me up from there so that I can have a few drinkies after the race and not have to worry about driving back. Therefore means that I can't give you a lift back home as I'll be staying over there and that I would have to get you at 7:50 on the sat a.m. You are more than welcome to a lift if you can stand the complexities of it all :-)
  • ...... the things I do for a drink eh?!?! ;-)
  • RC-Yep, you're right, sorry. It's the other side of Stourbridge to that pub. Do you know where the football club is (where Stourbridge RC run from)?
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    Still coughing violently but managed to do a 3x 10 minutes @ 8.5mph interval session today,
    so feeling a bit more comfortable about doing 20 miles... roll on Saturday.

Which pubs did we agreee would be best for food and the match ?
  • Thanks Matt

and Cheers RC, lift would be absolutely fab - agree with you, anything for a drink! 7:50 Sat is fine. I'll speak to you before.
  • UM - Oh good, I'll call Fri night earlyish as I'm gonna be a good girl and get to bed early.

MTB - No, I don't know but hopefully Mark will as he lives your side of city. Shouldn't be too hard to find if there is a football club and a Magnet store there. Thnks for info.
  • good luck every one I wish I was doing it again as I love this one-running a marathon in Italy instead so that will be good

My advice for what it is worth is take the uphills very steady and take the first hill as slow as possible. Don't get depressed by the first 10 miles I got a negative split by at least 5 minutes last time. I think it is about 5/10 minutes slower than a normal 20 miler (actually that is Stafford as it is the only other one i ever do!)
  • OK what's everybody doing about food? It starts at lunchtime!!! Can't remember what I ate last time. Porridge from breakfast will have worn off by then! Any recommendations?
  • RC-Take the Wolverhampton turning off the Stourbridge Ring Road (A491) and its at the top of the hill on your left just after the lights.
  • Porridge and toast for breccy, maybe a couple of petrol station sandwiches on the way with about three bananas, couple of bottles of Purdeys and plenty of squash.
    I'll be running with two SIS Go Gels.
  • Hmmm, sarnies might be good! Think I'll need a few more than 2 gels tho!! Thanks Matt!
  • I'm going to give the Maxim gel a try on this run - I've never tried gels before. Can anyone recommend roughly how much water one needs to drink after a gulp of gel. I've heard that you need to drink plenty with gels as you can get dehydrated. Would half a cup be enough?
  • Maud-It should tell you on the packet. I only use SiS gels which you don't need to have water with (apart from to wash it down)
  • Thanks Matt :-)

RM - thanks for advice, but I learned from last year that the first hill MUST be taken slowly (was very proud of how fast I got up it until mile 10!!!!! ;-)). Enjoy Italy, is it the Rome mara?