Running_and_Rundown

Dear all,
I have recently upped my running frequency from 3 time per week to about 4-5 times a week and have also joined in on a spinning class (for the uninitiated cycling machine with hills and variations). I am now finding that I am feeling quite rundown and have had some mouth ulcers and extreme tiredness. I took 2-3 days off and fealt alot better and have now started running. I have, I think, a healthy diet I eat fruit, fresh vegetables, fish and meat and pasta. I seem to eat all the time.

Why might I be getting run down as I feel that my diet should be ok. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• I think over-tiredness can cause this. I suffered from something very similar after I'd been running about 4 months and was upping the tempo. It took (sorry!) about six weeks to settle. The fresh fruit and veg is very important (I was very bad at it but am a good girl now!), and some people find a B-vitamin complex useful.
  • So, what you are saying get used to it.:)
    After around about 6 weeks my body will sort itself out.
    I have been running for about 2 years on and off and have run quite a few 10k's 10m's and one 1/2. I am now trainging for the Reading 1/2 and this is really the first time I have exp this. I may not only be from running I might have been a little ill (this time of year). Had 2 months (Nov and Dec) off from running so combi of all this might be this. So hopefully keep on trucking and just before the Reading 1/2 I will feel ok and ready.!!
  • Daniel -

I think you want to watch out that you don't start "over-training". there is a lot more to this that simply getting tired.

it's an actual clinical psychophysiological condition involving "profound fuel exhaustion, actual cellular injury, breakdwon of the body's defence mechanisms, and neurological and endocrine disturbances" (quoted in Bob Glover's book).

if you get it badly enough, it can take months to get over it.

quite apart from anything else, you'll actually start getting slower - which defeats the object of all that extra training you're putting in.

so please be careful and, as PB says, increase your work-load in gradual increments.

less is sometimes more - excuse the cliche. ;-)
  • Could also be that as you are expending more energy to keep up with the new schedule you need more fuel - have you increased your intake of calories to match the extra energy expenditure?
  • Well now, I am a thick set person approx 13stone (83kg) and 5'6". I am not too much overweight even though these damn ratio charts show me approx 18 kg overweight. If I were to get to that weight I would look and feel anorexic. I would like to lose approx 5kg however with the running and the calorific value of my diet I do not want to eat more and thus put on weight just to stop feeling like this. I will look and my vits, mins and other to see if I can re jig the intake and still keep the intake to the level where I might lose a few. Also I will look into doing less i.e. running fewer sessions 3-4 rather than 4-6 per week and might also up my mileage on those training days.

Cheers
  • Just a thought - have you increased the amount of sleep you are getting, as increased mileage means an increased need for down-time. I'm finding my need for sleep is increasing in direct relationship to my mileage, and I feel exhausted after a couple of late (ish) nights...
  • I agree with Loon, sleep is as important as the running. Why do you think that Paula Radcliffe has a couple of hours kip in the daytime (and get paid ££££'s for it!)?
    I do my long run on a Saturday morning and my times are pretty much in relation to the amount of sleep I get.

• Well having just come back from a lads holiday and then straight away got back on it. Tired from holiday and so experienced some feelings of rundowness. Now firmly back into running and diet and sleeping ok. I am now feeling good. Need to keep eye on it though. cheers. SBS aka shorty
  • Well having just come back from a lads holiday and then straight away got back on it. Tired from holiday and so experienced some feelings of rundowness. Now firmly back into running and diet and sleeping ok. I am now feeling good. Need to keep eye on it though. cheers. SBS