Tuesday 10th January

Comments

• What: nothing
    Why: Easy Week so no tue/thur runs and didn't get to cycling this morning 'cos of new job, don't want to be late first week (save that for later)
    Last Hard: Long Run Sunday
    Last Rest: Today

Have a good day.
  • Morning all,

A lot of running been done her already today. Well done everybody.

What: 13 miles d+d, AHR 148
    Why: Building up those miles, but this is a 'recovery' week.
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last Rest: 19 December (Day off this Saturday - Hooray!)

Big change in the weather here today. Was sub-zero and calm yesterday morning, so went out dressed for that. 10 degrees now, so came back carrying half my kit and still sweating buckets. You can't win, you can't break even, you can't even quit the game.

Enjoy your days.

RM
  • Morning all,

Quick visit in a break from frantic work!!

What: 4 miles or so later
    Why: FLM training schedule (that'll be my "why" sorted for the next 15 weeks, then)
    Last hard: ages ago (calf tear)
    Last rest: yesterday

Have a good day.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: 8miles intervals am d&D, 6 miles club run pm
    Why: knocking out the miles
    Last hard: today
    last rest: 3 days

Gary T - scary stuff. These events can be life changing though. A medical scare made me give up the fags (but not the booze) and started me on the path to fitness freakery that I find myself on now.
  • Morining all.

Thank you everyone for the welcome backs, it's good to be here. :0)

I understand we can now do flashy things with our posts such as underlines and bolds, can someone point me in the right dierection to find out how! Tried cntrl and B for bold (just a guess) and got this pop up box for adding some files - hmmmm!!

k9 - ooh a swim on the beach, how lovely, its rather chilly, dismal and dark here today and I would just love to be on the sun soaked sand instead!

Melp I certainly will let you know re: long runs!

Get well wishes to quite a few poorly people on here at the moment.

Clink - good to see you are in full throws of training again. Your patience with injury was awesome.

Today is run day - hoorah!

So
    What: 5 miles easy
    Why: Schedule 4 Paris(tee hee that's the first time I've ever said that!)
    Last Rest: Yesterday
    Last Hard: Dunno! Probably the hour stationary bike last week. I'm ashamed to say I did a Bridget Jones and fell off when I finished!

Happy runnings to all.

• Morning

Works been hellish this morning, problems. Been popping in and out trying to catch up on thread in between phone calls.

Got bus in today to run home, but just been through my kit bag and everything bar trainers are in bag. Oh well forced rest day then as work outing tonight.

What - nothing
    Why - see above

Enjoy
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    stickless, the hip is slightly easier, but not enough to miss tomorrow's physio. I thinkthe stretching is helping.

I know the lyrics, I think originally twas rod the mod???
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh scs, I hate when that happens!
    My schedule is on an easy week 1st which should help my hip so I am happy about that!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Late post this morning, but daughter not well so have taken time off work and been a bit busy.

what:am 7 miles on the treadmill as it's in the conservatory and I'm close at hand, pm club run 7+ miles
    why:marathon training

Have a good day all!
  • Morning All,

What: am -1700m swim; pm - 10 miles run on track

including 5 x 400m (at 5km pace)and 5 x 1600m (at

10km pace)
    Why: speed
    Last hard: thursday
    Last rest: 23 Dec

I am confused by the lyrics today - very like the nursery rhyme, but different. Has it been covered??!

nrg - to the extent that it's always possible to extend one or two of those small acts which in number amount to love, then yes. :)

Hi Minks - glad you had a nice break.

Gary - I was going to make the M&S food stores price gag but Big Tim beat me to it! Seriously, that sounds most alarming for you.

Dustin - Good run on a difficult course. Well done on

the 10th place.

Mava - I love being an auntie. My nephews are 3 and 4

- exactly one year between them.

URR - I was interested to read about your test. Didn't you used to be a cyclist before taking up running. I don't suppose you had a test back then? I would be interesting to see how things have changed now running is your main sport. Shmae they didn't test you on the treadmill this time.

ICRAM - niice to hear from you and that you are still fitting in some runs.

Hippo - sorry you've had bronchitis. I had it a couple of times as a child - starts to really hurt your coughing muscles so that you have to crouch to cough. Horrid. And sleeping sitting up. I hope you are feeling better. Now wonder you feel tired! Are you off work now?

M - you seem an unreachably good swimmer to me! Well done. I am pleased that I can now do a mile in about 52 minutes - it's not the lengths themselves so much as the rest I need to take that makes it take a while. I'm pleased because that means I should make the cut off and I'm still very much at the rapid improvement part of the learning curve. When I started I couldn't even do 25m FC. What sort of time are you aiming for in the IM?
  • Morning all,
    Tryed those depth jumps last night after my 7.5mile run, which I did in a nice and steady 48mins.

I got a few odd looks in the gym, as I was jumping off an step up board which I used a ruler to measure the correct height! :) I did 3x6 reps with 2mins between each set, by the last rep, I felt I was doing the jumps a lot more smoothly, so it will take a few sessions to get the technique right and my reactions quicker! Then did the rest of my leg program afterwards!

What:
    am: 6-mile steady pace, about 7mm. Legs tired from yesterdays training, but felt good otherwise.

pm: Track session with IEK Group, not sure whats on down the track yet!

Why:
    Speed endurance and faster running.

MELLIFERA:
    Yes I do like it rather `HARDCORE`
    Thats my training im talking about! ;p

BT:
    Yes Ive read a lot about Plymetics and I think for me, its a way forward, time will tell as you know!
  • Hope daughters ok Hilly

5 miles inc 10x400 with 90 secs recovery. It's a long time since I've done any structured speedwork so I'm pleased I forced myself out in the wind and rain. It's a start, this year I'm determined to get as close back as I can to the speeds I used to run. I've ran in the comfort zone for too long!
  • Morning all,

Grrrrrrrr - just found out they moved the date of the Trinidad Marathon from the 22nd Jan to the 29th Jan. Have to re-adjust training and revert to 3 weeks to go schedule! They announced it a month ago in a tiny ad in the local press, which loads of people missed. It was only when I went to the website to get an entry form that I found out.

What: 8.5 miles inc intervals
    Why: Not tapering yet.
    Last Hard: Thursday

OK, back to get my head around the schedule shift.
  • Morning all

pammie - do it - I have heard it really is a good one!

mava - I think that running is always in us but sometimes other things in life take priority or give us that bit more fulfilment for a time.

wabo - are you doing FLM too? Which schedule are you following and what time are you aiming for?

Hilly - hope your daughter is not too poorly.

What: 3.5 miles easy run and 7 miles cycle
    Why: Niggly knee and taking it easy
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Yesterday

Enjoy the day
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Gary T, that sounds a bit scary. Hope you're OK. And I would say that your sub-1:30 goal is achievable at Fleet as it's definitely a PB course. I set my previous half PB there last year while training for FLM (I've since broken it on a much hiller course which is quite encouraging). Had thought about doing Fleet again myself but because FLM is a week later it falls on a 20-mile LSD weekend of my schedule so rather than jiggle things around I might do Milton Keynes instead.

Bambi Legs - I'm following the Hal Higdon Intermediate II schedule this time, with a few tweaks to the long runs (I've added a couple more 20-milers as I know I can build up a bit more quickly this time than the schedule has you doing).

Did my first run of 2006 last night and it felt great to be back out there! Updated my log with the last runs of 2005 this morning and was surprised to see how quick they were, despite being tired pre-Christmas. All my runs seem to be significantly faster since I set a new half PB at Bedford. They will probably get slower again once I start building up the miles again though.

What: Rest.
    Why: Would have been yesterday but was keen to get out and run after a week off. Will have to take it tonight as I'm cooking shepherd's pie which is a bit time-consuming to do after work. It'll do for tonight and tomorrow though which means I don't have to worry tomorrow night!
    Last hard: A while ago ...
    Last rest: Not so long ago!

Happy days all.
  • 1hr 48 mins slow. The longest I have run for ages. Prefer speed sessions to be honest. Ran with a friend which was good!
    No idea what I'm training for to be honest, just ticking over. Tennis tonight so I'd better go and eat loads!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    bambi legs, I am doing flm, following email schedule for sub 4. Follwed sub 4.30 few years back and got 4.18 so it worked for me.
  • LL , you are training for the Sussex Beacons Half on Feb 19th and don't you forget it :-)
  • Wabo - I'm similar to you, but 3 weeks away from my Marathon. Targetted 4:30 last year and did 4:18! Aiming for 3:59 this year. Where can I see the schedule you are doing? What do the last three weeks look like?
  • Hi everyone

Minks - good to see you back, I see you experienced a 'thaw' - now you know why I fell over so much, I used to run on ice like that (admittedly, later with "Mannbrottfor" - spikes to wear over running shoes)

Hilly - hope your daughter makes a swift recovery

Melli - 10 miles on track - what, on a 400m track? That shows amazing dedication, not to mention an ability to count up to, er (LizzyB counts furiously on her fingers ...)

Debbo - hope you're feeling better after your fall - sounds nasty

Loz - sounds like a good speedwork session, I really must start getting some structure into my training as well - I have written down your session in my diary, that might end up being Thursday's session.

What: 6 miles @ 75% WHR in the wind and rain - finally got up in the morning for a run before work (first time this year!) and it was great.
    Cycling to and from work in the rain - 10 miles
    Either an easy 3 miler or climbing wall tonight
    Why: Racing tomorrow - a measured mile, eek
    LAst hard: 2 Jan
    Last rest: yesterday (unintentional - forgot that evening classes restarted until an hour before!)

Have had some v. good news today and am grinning like a Cheshire cat! But no more can be said ....
  • Morning all

vv long day yesterday so no run - glad I could justifiably count it as a rest day.

Hope those who are unwell - Gary, Snaps, Hilly's daughter recover soon and strong

welcome back Minks

what : 6 miles on t'mill
    why : base rebuild
    last hard : ?

see y'all
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    trinni, they email me each week so I can't actually see last 3 weeks, spooky about our times! I will be very happy with 3.59.59 tbh!
  • Thanks Minks and wabo.

I still haven't decided exactly what I am doing - being my first marathon I don't want to do too much but on the otherhand I want to do as well as I can.

I know most people say just aim on getting round for the first one but I feel I need some kind of structure to my running. Like you wabo I have a niggle at the moment so am making this an easy week whatever I decide to follow. Funnily enough I have looked at both schedules you mentioned and will probably end up mixing and matching.

Cycle and run went ok so now some ice on the knee and a bowl of porridge for me.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Trinni, if you look at the sub four schedule here you can actually see the last 3 weeks (look on flm page not forum)
    sorry can't do links!
  • Gary T, some scare indeed but all the tests done must offer some reassurance.

Others under the weather/injured: heal well

LizzyB, I seem to recall an awful lot of falling over here in the UK as well, so maybe the thaw is not entirely to blame ;-)
    That said, narrowly avoided kissing the tarmac on my lunchtime run myself...

Micksta, 'smooth' is the way to go.

Yesterdays pm 10M fell in the water as we arrived at gym and it was bloody packed. I Just hate this january crowd, the whole weekend gym normal (that lot in the pub/restaurant I assume) and on monday you can't move. We decided to get a curry instead and have the gym to ourselves friday night when that lot is in the curryhouse/pub. (g/f expressed intentions to go for curry on friday, so swapped those sessions cheekily ;-)

What: lunchtime 7.5M minkseasy to steady d&d, maybe easy pm run as well (another try to go to gym)
    Why: train when I can
    Last hard: wednesday
    Last rest: thursday
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    snaps, I looked at Rich's site. No wonder you got pneumonia! It looked cold! Did you text me in Cuba before or after that?
  • Thank you very much everyone.

Hope your daughter is OK Hilly.

Lizzy, spill the beans.

What: 5 miles am; sports massage pm
    Why: 1/2 marathon training
    Last hard: before Xmas
    Last rest: Saturday

I have a work trip to Austria this weekend and they have chucked in a days skiing. Yesssss!

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks my daughter will be fine soon I'm sure. She's quite open to infection due to her disability, but is on antibiotics so they should help.

Melli, that's some track session. Are you doing it on your own?
  • Afternoon all.

What 6 miles d&d...I am still glowing nicely. I have to say putting the run at lunchtime is improving my mood even though I always think of myself as an early morning exerciser.

Why: scheduled.

Have booked 3 races (ie training runs with presents at the end) to build up to FLM and feeling all excited :-)