Tuesday 10th January

Comments

• Afternoon all.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

What: 4.5 on treadmill @ sub140
    why: still trying to recover from injury...right knee has been a little painful (annoyingly nothing to do with original injury...aarghhhhh) so I rested last two days. Knee feels fine after first 1/4m and for an hour or so after run...then becomes a little painful (upper/inside of right knee)....anyway run was nice and easy...plan to race 10k on Saturday but will not be going for pb
    last hard: 3.1.06
    last rest: yesterday

BR....a while back you posted a comment about warming up for a 10k...regarding pace and duration...can you please remind me of your recommendations...cheers

d

ps..Hipps...hope you are feeling better...
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    (((hilly's daughter, hipps and Gary))) some scare Gary, hope you are ok.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • yes hope your daughter's antibiotics do the trick quickly hilly, take care both of you
  • rinirunner - that makes for a diffcult stop start taper! Good luck with rearranging you schedule. Are you really only just entering? How very laid back!

Lizzy and Hilly, It's surprising how it adds up but I know what you mean! I'll do
    2800 warmup
    about 2500 in 400 reps+rest;
    800 jog
    aboout 9000 in 1600+rest
    then a cool down of about 2000.
    I'll have MrM for company which helps. I am very intrigued by your good news. Do tell!

Hilly - get well soon to your daughter.

Bambi - I didn't aim to 'just get round' my first one either. And it went pretty well - it's been down hill from then!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

Melli: :-)

Micksta: Dr R does some plyo drills which involve jumping on and off benches. I'm not good enough to do those yet. Does the height of the step depend on some attribute of your physique eg height, leg length, thigh length etc etc etc??

Hilly: Best wishes to your daughter.

Minks: Whilst you were away we had a discussion about forum members to watch in 2006. My money is on you so no pressure. ;-)

LizzyB: Go on gal, what's giving you that cheesy smile?

Yesterday I did lots of drills and core muscle work. A bit too many back-extensions on the gym-ball as my lower back was sore today, thankfully no sciatica.

What: 90mins.
    Why: Simply swapped the work-session for a longish-run to maintain similar number of miles.
    LastHard: Today, I guess
    LastRest: 8Jan2006

• Afternoon All.

Just over 10.5 wet'n'windy miles today with 21 mins tempo in the middle of the run.

Bus down to work and 2.5 miles back home tonight.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • Afternoon all,

Remembered my kit today, so….

What: 6 miles very easy
    Why: good use of my lunchtime
    Last hard: over a year ago
    Last rest: yesterday – shattered when I got home, so had an early night.

Have a good one
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Aw, Lizzy! You can't post something like that and then leave us all dangling in suspense!

Go on, tell us. You know you want to :-)
  • Afternoon all,

Healing vibes to the lame, lurgified and lazy, with a special one to Hilly's daughter

LizzyB: You can't come on here grinning like a cheshire cat and not tell!

Plumber - who likes to be called a heating engineer - has condemned our hot water cylinder so no hot water for the immediate future.

I see the women's FLM is going to have male pacemakers again - is PR going for sub 2:15?

Generally struggling at the moment. Legs feel mashed and my head even more so. Can't seem to find any enthusiasm for anything and just going through the motions - and not very well at that.

What: 10m with 10x100m strides.
    Why: General aerobic and speed - more like jog and slightly faster jog.
    Last hard: Not pulling duvet over head this morning.
    Last Rest: 67 days

Have a good one.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    indeed lizzy....
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • AF...

"Generally struggling at the moment. Legs feel mashed and my head even more so. Can't seem to find any enthusiasm for anything and just going through the motions - and not very well at that."

Sorry to read that. Is the grind of going through the schedule? I think I am as well. My training diary for the last 4 weeks looks pretty unimpressive.
  • BT: I think I'm having trouble getting the work/life/running balance back in balance after a longish christmas break. Apparently, Jan 24th is the most depressing day of the year, so maybe things'll look up after that.

But you're never alone on this thread.
  • Maybe you need to take a rest day:-)
  • Afternoon folks.

Gary - glad you're feeling better.

Lizzy - like the others, I'm very intrigued...

Melli - bit of a monster of a track session! You're approaching BR territory there.

For me today...

What: am - 4.2 miles just inside 31 mins, pm - 9.1 miles (including one big hill) in 63 mins.
    Why: am - recovery run, pm - steady, aerobic mileage.

Breathing wasn't really working too well this morning...the change back to milder weather from the cold stuff? Got absolutely soaked on lunchtime run, but felt pretty good again considering last night's hill session at the club. Legs a little heavy towards the top of today's only real climb, but otherwise ticking over OK.

Have a good rest of the day.
  • Imski:

Think it will take time though, at the moment I`m concentrating more on getting the actions correct, smoothness will come with practice.

NRG:
    From what Ive read, height of the bench or step will depend on if your training specifically for power or speed! the info Ive been reading suggests a bench height of between 0.5-0.8m!

Lower the height more for speed and higher the height of bench more for strength!

or so im told!
  • LizzyB - leaving us like that!! Is it a new job/promotion?
  • Trinrunner

Well thats both of us frantically readjusting marathon schedules, Dubai Marathon now on the 17th February, so having to go long again at least you only have one week to allow for.

PAying for last nights fast 10K, struggled around 7 miles today thoughn was suprised to see that my "slow" death march pace has improved by 20 seconds a kilometre over past month.

On teh big cheese front, horse trails this weekend going ahead because..... lots of people have flown in specially! Now could it be that the event is sponsered by the New Big Cheese's upteenth wife be a factor in this decision?

Run strong
  • AF / BR - maybe you both need to take a day off or two and recharge those batteries. You can not run on empty!!
  • AF/BR but the morning are finally getting lighter - sunrise times:
    10 Jan 2006 08:03
    11 Jan 2006 08:02
    12 Jan 2006 08:02
    13 Jan 2006 08:01
    14 Jan 2006 08:00
    15 Jan 2006 08:00
    16 Jan 2006 07:59
    31 Jan 2006 07:41
    28 Feb 2006 06:48
  • Well I think last week took its toll.

Just back from a 5.5 mile run where left calf seemed to be a bit tight...I thought it might loosen off but it just started to make the top of my foot hurt and then spasmed towards the end :(

Do you think a bit of cycling (spinning) will loosen it off?
  • Mava - can't remember; after, I think. It wasn't that cold, just minus 4 or 5, but there was a vicious wind blowing and nowhere to hide. That's why i look so pleased having my cuppa at 27 k. Shelter at last!

AF - sub 2.15? Naw ... sub 2.05 more like it. To show us once and for all :-)
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the welldones after Sunday, legs felta bit achey yesterday so took my first rest day of the year yesterday.

Today : 8 miles in 58.59
    Out and back course along the A road, felt OK but turned around and was straight into a head wind that I swear wasn't there on the way out. Had to work hard for a slight -ve split (29.38/29.21), but legs still a bit tired. Probably ran too hard and shoud've been ~65 mins....

Hilly - hope your daughter is OK...
    Also swift recoveries to the other sick and lame....
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    evening. back from work on the bike against a horrible headwind, added 10 minutes to my journey - well that and having to stop because of excrutiating cramp in my calf muscles every time I stopped.
  • Moan moan whinge am injured so bugger all apart from pressups etc
  • Melli - That's true. Once in a while I receive postings about these tests. Maybe there is a chance next time to get tested on the treadmill.

What? 5m Easy / 10m brisk with club
    Why? Get the cycle started
  • That was hard work. Canned the planned session (which was being forward a day too early anyway) when DOMS set in on morning run.

Ran a similar (but longer) loop which was giving me 7:20-7:30 m/m @ 140-143 last week.

Tonight due to a combination of 1) DOMS, 2) Strong wind and 3) Underhydration today we managed 7:55m/m averaging 143 HR. Nice drop off of 30 secs / mile!!

9.65 miles @ .35 jog up and down street.
  • Sportaloo, Stickless, thanks my dad had his opp this morning & everything so far has gone well.
    He's got his Lucozade Sport to aid recovery, I thought it a good idea. My next roll will be to get him back running, something he things he'll be able to do straight away!

AF, I know what you mean, Friday I've already messed up & will have to juggle things a little!

• Evening All,

What: 4 x 1200m this morning
    Why: Schedule
    Last Hard: this morning
    Last Rest: Yesterday

Did 1.5m to warm up and 1.5m to cool down but I think the reps were more like 1100m. I used Accuroute to measure it last night on my computer (Garmin is bust and being repaired). The times I recorded were too fast for it to be 1200m, more like 1100m. Times were 3:59, 4:03, 4:01, 3:59 all with 1:30 min recoveries.

A good session for 5:30 in the morning.

Have a good evening all.
  • Oh best recovery wishes for your dad Tim!

Hilly hope daughter is feeling a wee bit better.

7.4 miles after work in torrential rain it has been like it all day and very high winds but was not going to be put off and I run back for 3 miles through woods and it is always flooded in parts it was a bit bracing running through a foot of water!!

Wabo i dont know what it is about sleep at present but another late night tonight(9.45;-) and hoping body will get used to to sleeping straight through again.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • You guys are pretty amazing getting out there in awful condtions.

Tim - hope your Dad recovers well - a runner too.

Hilly - hope your daughter is getting better.