Tuesday 10th January

Comments

• evening!

mava - well done on your bike ride, it is really blustery today, have you tried putting some heat onto your calves and then gently stretching them. I find that can help. Or nice warm bath with good book, then stretch - even better!

GGHT - sorry to hear you're injured. How long do you reckon you'll be out for?

Big Tim - sorry to hear about your dad but glad to hear he's ok. Looks like you have your work cut out in keeping dad behaving and taking it easy!

Hilly - hope daughter is better and anti- biotics have kicked in.

the count - don't know I'm afraid. From my experience my calves can get quite tight after cycling, but I've heard this can depend on how you use the pedals, i.e. heels down.

5.5 tready miles d&d

Legs not too brill. I reckon all my hard work on my achilles may be being undone overnight as they are stiff in the mornings, sooooo

I have made a sort of splint thing out of an old tupperware cereal container! Sliced it up and will stick foot into it at bed time and tape it there. Lets see if that sorts the little b@gger!!!

• hello
    thanks for the good wishes
    melli-you describe bronchitis so well
    thats why i hardly slept over christmas
    stil coughing and snotting
    hr up
    running is a struggle-but out for 2 miles this pm after all day clinic
    time off work consisted of that damn usa trip and jet lag

tim
    good news about your dad
    lizzy-wossgoing on
  • snappy and hillys daughter-get well soon
  • Scooby Snax, nice to see your back.
    I think I'll get him a cheep HR monitor, an expensive one "would" give him heart faliure!
    He ran 3:15ish in London a long time ago.
  • Evening peeps.

What: club night, efforts, hard work
    why: seemed like a good idea at the time

Had to cut the sessions short when one of our group went over on her ankle and ended up in a puddle of water. Not serious injuries, just a minor sprain on her ankle hopefully.

Have a good evening.
  • Evening

Quick post.

What: am 6 miles on treadmill with 5 miles in 33 minutes - pm - 4 miles easy.

Why: Miles and planned a hard session tomorrow.

Last Rest: 7 days

Have a good evening
  • Bt

That is some dad you have...THUD
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    As predicted 7.5 miles brisk with youthful clubmate, fine until 1 mile to go then legs turn to jelly. Shuffle shamefullly back.

Maybe a bit of tiredness from Sunday's race, a bit of carb depletion perhaps. Still, one bottle of Powerade, one large fish pie and a doughnut and I feel better already!

Glad to hear all is well Tim.

Lizzy.. I can guess, I can guess {O:

Best wishes to your daughter Hilly.
  • Evening

What: 7 miles.
    Why: Half/Marathon training.
    Last rest: Monday.
    Last hard: tonight.
    Time: 01:11:18
  • What a fun 10M that was with that other bloke with the blue vest!

What: 10M in av 143 (72%) steady
    Why: toothpaste and endurance
    Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: Friday

I wanted todo a double session today, involving running at lunchtime, but work held me back. Just as well that nice man asked me along for his steady 10M!
  • Wardi - we (FL and me) were discussing on our run how people managed to run fast on Tuesday after a Sunday race. I could have handled a faster pace tonight but would not have been best for recovery. I really want to be sharp for tomorrow, hence keeping the effort in recovery range. Did your legs feel fresh up until 6.5 miles or were they feeling a bit beaten early doors?
  • My legs are feeling a bit beaten up...
  • evening

a few bugs going round it would seem - rest and recover well all of you - take it easy Hippo

looks like the long dreaded office move to Speke will happen next weekend (11 days time) - beginning to keep me awake at night and is definitely affecting HR on my runs when I think about it. Too many balls to keep in the air....

didn't post last night - managed 5 pretty unimpressive miles in the NB 150s & didn't feel too good about it.

nice and mild tonight, so:
    5.8 miles in 37:18 - battled out against the wind and managed to pick the pace up coming back with it. Average HR 160 which was a couple of bpm higher than I would have liked. Used the NB 832s again - definitely happiest of all in those shoes.
  • Evening folks

What: 8 miles nice and easy
    Why: Base Miles
    Last rest: most of the week
    Last hard: errrrr.... no idea

Roll on structured training!!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

as mike say - all those who are feeling under the weather, hope you get better soon.

What - 6 x 1K at club

Why - Speed

Last hard - Tonight

Last Rest - Last Fri

(splits for those interested)
    3:58 (bit slow)
    3:51
    3:48
    3:48
    3:45
    3:37 (pushed it to the limit)

Good hard session - now knackered

Enjoy:-)
  • good luck at county champs Bryn, Matt and anyone else.

glad to hear the hip is getting better wabo.

hilly - i hope all is ok with your daughter and she recovers well and quickly with the antibiotics

melli - you are doing really well with swimming and improving so quicly - don't worry you will be well and truly inside the IM cutoff! not really sure on time for mine - i've done 75mins in the pool so with wetsuit and draft - maybe 70 mins?

hope things are looking more cheerful soon AF

well then lizzy???? ;-)

what: 8.3 miles with club including 10 x 3 mins hard
    why: coach said so
    last hard: ages ago
    last rest: sunday
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good evening

BR: you have mail, apologies for the delay in reply - hope it hasn't inconvenienced your training plans.

What: am 5 miles to work, pm: 4 x (4mins hard: 60 secs rec: 1 min fast; 90 secs rec) over undulating parkland.
    Why: In the wrong place at the wrong time!
    Last hard: very definately today.

Did the session with Bud Baldaro's Birmingham Uni training group (note to self: Ignore "must get out more" comments). Was totally outclassed - couldn't stay with the guys so moved over to woman's group and still struggled. I'm not downhearted though, although it was really hard, I enjoyed it, did my best and didn't give up on it. The reason I was there was to get some advice from Bud - all in all a worthwhile, though tiring day.
  • well got 5 and a half done this morning over a horrible muddy course, great :O).

Then a session in the evening of 6 x 600m with 200m fast then 400m steady though have to admit it did kinda turn into just 600m at a middle pace :O(. Still encouraging, and seemed to have a touch more speed than usual, my change of pace is improving.

Best of luck Matt.

Spikes still aren't here :O(. Should be tommorow.

Wabo- yep, but these were from the later version ( same lyrics just different artists), whose version just seems a bit more poignant. Normally Rod does it very well but in this case the subsequent cover is just better :O).

Melli-not sure about a nursery rhyme but it is a cover!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for get well wishes for my daughter, she is a little better.

hippo, hope you're soon back to full strength!

Tom, sounds quite exciting to train with a group of such high standards!

I did 7.35 miles with my club tonight, which included a time trial of a measured mile. I was too tired to take part in the mile so just went round at a controlled pace.
  • Did the spinning anyway...
    So 75 min swim, 5.5 mile run and hours spinning...
  • Well done Tom!! Hope the advice helps.
  • Wish I could swim for 75 mins. It'd lay me out for 2 days!
  • x-training oh wise one....it's just another sport in which to injure yourself!
  • Evening all, just in from my first rep session in a few months, something I will try and build up towards London.

What: 2 miles warm up + 2 warm down +
    6 x 1000m, 1:30 recovery, then 6 x 500m alternate 1:30 and 1:00 recoveries.
    1000s in 3:20; 3:17, 3:18, 3:18, 3:19, 3:20.
    500s in 1:35s/6s. All on grass, so not a bad account opener.
    Why: Need to get back into reps
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: 7 days.

Will read the rest of the thread tomorrow.
  • Evening,

Busy day today (been quite a lot of those lately). Congrats to Lizzy on whatever it is anyway!

Today: 7 miles easy
    Why: aerobic conditioning
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: Saturday

Night all!
  • Meli - Thanks for the sunrise times, quite cheered me up!

hilly - Hope your dughter gets well soon.

Cool breezy drizzle in Devon this evening for my recovery run while no.2 son was at gym club.

What: 9.3M in 1:22, pace 8:50, HR 135 (77% of max)
    Why: Scheduled easy run
    Last hard: Monday's 15M

Club night tomorrow.
  • hi guys

no run for me this morning, very sore from ciruits last night. track session down club tonight. went pretty well.

(800, 600, 500, 400, 300, 200)X2 with 2mins rec between everything

800 and 600s were good (2.09 and 1.37ish) and most of the first set was as if i was running within myself. Second set was a lot harder and struggled at the end to maintain pace but ended up blasting out a 27 last 200...which was a bit surprising

BR: don't worry about DOMS etc, that is definately to be expected after a hard race on a sunday.

Bryn: know who's running our race on sunday? normally u20's have an awful turnout but there could be few of us...
  • Jon- not sure so far, only confirmation I have so far is Richard (so you may actually have a race on your hands!), after that I doubt we'll have Grant, Newman, Stitchbury turn up as they tend to do Schools and ignore Counties. Richard Tarpey might be, Terry Brennan might be. Parslow I'd imagine will be there. Dombey ran last year but having been running 4 and 4 hurdles I doubt he'll be there. Could be a very small field. Is Dan Christian running?

Way I think it'll pan out unless some unknown very fast runner will turn out is you and Rich will probably pull clear, and then it'll be me hopefully and then a pack. But obv. if Newman, Grant and Christian ran there'd be a group of us chasing. Any idea if Dan is running?

Can't actually think of anyone else atm, but as it's under ECCA rules ther emay be someone two years older who can still run that we don't know about. Just thinking quickly, Sparrow could run...

Just thinking on to december time, if you, me, Franseze and another u23 runner of a reasonable standard run in the u23 SoE inter-counties I reckon we'd have a good chance of medalling. Looking at the results this year if you and I had run I reckon we'd have medalled.
  • Evening and belated happy new year to you all.

Back to Mon night club last night for a hideous long hill session * 8, same last week at Wed night club; will drop the Mon night soon as I'm not recovered for another speed session by Wed and often tired after the weekend.

Long fell run (3hrs) in winter conditions Sat, fab. Ran in my new Flyrocs, but they're not grippy enough for fell conditions, great on the local scar and on trails though.

23 mile event end of this month and have decided to enter the 3Peaks marathon end of April so I can share the marathon training neuroses with the rest of you.

Great excitement mounting as I'm buying a new mountain bike!

Had brief look on Food thread but definitely don't belong there. How do you all survive??

Fell liker, Elbow are playing in Liverpool in Feb, I'm going. Hooked on Absolution after your recommendation!

Today: nothing.
    Why: decided to tackle DIY tasks instead of climbing tonight. House and its inhabitants still in one piece.
    last hard: last night's hill reps.
    Last rest: 30th Dec.

Night all, will catch up with what everyone's up to over the next few days.