Dark nights - what a pain!

I have been running for a couple of years, however during 2002 I made a huge breakthrough and managed quite a few events, including the Great North Run. A couple of weeks after the GNR I picked up an injury and had to rest until the New Year. Now I have started training again (for the Marathon), I find it difficult to find new places to run. Last year I used trails and public footpaths, however I'm limited to the streets and concrete footpaths. If anyone suggests a running track....Thanks.

Comments

• Dare I mention Treadmills ? Easier on the body than concrete - just a tad boring.
  • Get a head torch - I use one and find the light good enough for trail running although I would be cautious if your off road runs are less firm underfoot.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, Big Pants. I was thinking about this last night as one of my knees suddenly started hurting quite a lot during my recovery run. I've probably upped my mileage a bit more quickly than I should have done, but it isn't helped by the fact that all my running is on roads.

The only real off-road option is the country park near where I live, but I wouldn't feel safe running there at night on my own, even with a head torch (that's if it even stays open). I'm looking forward to the lighter evenings so I can at least get off-road some of the time.
  • Once your eyes are used to the light, you can run when the moon is full. It's surprising how much light it produces. I went out on a deer walk last night round the local woods, it was lovely. Didn't need the torches at all. And saw lots of deer.