Options

Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    Top tip number 4123.....don't eat a load of onions and pork left over from yesterday's sunday roast then go running an hour later - I got half way round my 5 1/2 mile route then got a really bad acidy tummy - lots of a water and grimacing to get home!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

good luck to those running on sunday. i have had to defer, couldn't train due to injury and then had a bad cold :-(.

Beck, the main thing is to go slow. for marathon training you have to really slow down (I only have one long distance speed anyway :-). If you are already running those distnaces then you will be fine with the training.

To all the ladies (AdyP - you could get your wife to buy it and then read it), I bought 'Marathon from Start to Finish' by Sam Murphy. she tends to write for women runners, but the advice applies to all. and there are training programs included, which are similar to the ones you get in the marathon 'Yes you are in' magazine.

Anyway, the main thing is to aim to finish it. It is a fantastic day, get your name printed on your shirt. I ached like anything afterwards (had to use the disabled loos and all). Ran the first half too fast, but didn't realise, as just felt comfortable. Cried when I saw the finish, when the bloke put my medal on, and whenI met my hubby afterwards - ahhhhh!

julesD
  • Options
    Hello all

Jules D, I'd totally back you up on that marathon book. I got it out of the library but have now bought it because it's so good. She does have a female slant to her writing, ie pieces on good bras, menstrual cycles etc, (sorry chaps) which is good as so many books out there on running are by men. Also there's a lot of photos of London which training for FLM makes you feel as though she's writing with you in mind! The programmes are easy for simple-minded women like myself to understand, and she talks about running at "effort 1" up to "effort 5" (having first explained them (effort 2 is "conversation pace" for example)which makes more sense to me than "1 min pm slower than race pace" etc. Lots of working on the mental aspects of running a marathon and boxes of reminders of "why we are here" - Just me maybe but I LOVE this book.
    Go get it. I'm not on commission. Promise.
  • Options
    beckstrous - hello fellow FLM CWL runner. I was at Reading too in April. What a good day that was.