Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• I fully intend to CS. Will be the highlight and reckon I am going to need it with all that running!!!

Going to get there early so that I can book the best slot so I dont miss anything vital
  • I'm so glad to find this thread! It's my first marathon too, and I'm doing a walk 3 min, run 2 min programme. Started in August because I had to have a break end of November because I had a corneal transplant. Resumed training 5 Dec and am now injured!!! Been for physio and have been told it's my piriformis. My furthest training distance was 10 miles at start of Jan and I've already had 10 days off!! I think I'm going to have to walk the whole thing at this rate, but will do if I have to - I have a golden bond place for guide dogs. Think I'm at the red start, my hubby who runs is at the blue. I'm nervous and worried about not being able to train and resorting to chocolate to boost morale!! More physio on Tuesday so hopefully the offending piriformis will decide to heal asap!!
  • what's a piriformis? it sounds REALLY painful!!! yuck - poor you
  • Hi I hope you don't mind me joining this thread, I to am a first timer at this distance. I entered last year and was injured about four weeks before so had to pull out. I'm taking it really easy this time and am doing one slow 4-5 mile run, an interval session and at the weekend a long run which is only up to 10k length but hoping to do 10 miles this weekend. As I'm one my feet all day at work 9am - 3pm with Half an hour break and cycle 2 miles to work and home again three times a week I was wondering if any one knows whether or not I should count the cycling as part of my training. I just feel tired all the time!
  • cycling definitely counts as cross training and general conditioning.
  • Piriformis is a horrid muscle that goes across from your hip to lower back sort of area with the sciatic nerve running underneath. Mine has now had a physio's elbow stuck in it and is still protesting!

Good luck HW, I'm sure you'll be fine this time and 10 miles sounds good this weekend. Cycling definately counts as cross training - well done!

Is anyone else looking at a time of 6.5 to 7 hrs for this marathon or will I be plodding in on my own??!!
  • It doesn't matter how long you take to finish - just finishing is going to be a huge achievement for most of us. I'm sure you won't be plodding on your own. Hope the piriformis clears up soon.
  • I'll probably be around that time - especially if I still have these crutches!!

I attended the Golden Bond training session yesterday. Was really worthwhile. Was particularly amused by their comment that you should really look out for who you finish alongside/just behind because the photo you get sent will show everyone (and it would be emabarassing to show your friends if you're coming in behind someone in their eighties, or dressed as a toasted sandwich etc.!)
  • Hi Loxias I was at the training session yesterday too. I missed the morning sessions as I was in the queue for the foot scan. But the course director went through the session with us, I found Eugenes talk most useful. I thought they may have given us some fact sheets to take away, I know the info will be in the next marathon magazine but that won't be out until March and alot of the info was relevant to now while were training. I remember on the GSR I was behind a man dressed as a banana, there was no way he was going to beat me so I sprinted to the finish, daft I know
  • Glad you enjoyed the training sessions. Hubby got really upset the first time he ran London because he got overtaken by somebody dressed as a cigarette!! Back for physio on Tuesday, piriformis doesn't seem quite so cross so hope to resume training later this week. Have missed a 10 miler and a 12 miler to date but will just have to write them off and start with a 1 or 2 gentle miles and build up. I'm surprised how much I've missed training!
  • Hi Everyone,

So many new messages. I am sure some people might view this thread as a little negative but i think its the total opposite. It is giving us beginners the opportunity to admit to our fears and keep each other motivated and calm!

I managed a 10 miler today but am literally struggling to keep my eyes open now!!!! Amazing to be into double figures now although i walked a fair bit and it took me 2 hours which is not quick but was my goal so i am happy. Not sure i could add another 16.2 miles on top but sure i will cope with adding an extra 1 by this time next week.

Good luck for the week ahead everyone.

Becky.

• 2 hours and 10 miles (incluading walking) - not quick you say? perfectly respectable!! (I say that as Taff Tiger and I did 10.5 in 2 hours on Saturday so we're about the same level)We're right on track. Keep on staggering, that's what I say
  • Well done Rebecca that's a brilliant effort, you're well on track. And this thread is great, not negative at all. :0)
  • Well done guys, I too managed 10 miles yesterday in just over 2.25 hours and now have my first training blister!!

Felt great to hit double figures though, I'm now beginning to feel like I can actually do this :)
  • I think we're all doing great and we're on target for FLM both mentally and physically!
  • Thanks everyone! I feel rather proud of myself now!

Well done to everyone who got out there
  • Disco Derby - compede plasters are brilliant for blisters!
  • thanx, shall give them a go!! i read somewhere else to try aloe vera - it works wonders
  • did london seven years ago.Been running 10 years.Up to 15 miles long run,35 miles a week yes and still bricking it
  • Well, been physio'ed - there's nothing quite like an elbow in the piriformis!! I'm to walk a steady 4 miles tomorrow and go back for another elbowing on Friday morning! Hubby has sent me a link for a virtual tour type thing of the marathon route, hopefully this will work as I'm not too hot in cyberspace ....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/sport/marathon/runners_guide/76.shtml#photo
    Phew! That took some typing! If it doesn't work, my apologies! Safe training everyone. Tubs
  • Does anyone know a good stretch for the shin muscle?
  • Let's think about this statistically:

The 300 or so people who dropped out of last year's marathon (having started) were largely the pub bores who said, '26 miles - no training, no problem,' or the 'near elite' athletes who, whereupon realising that 2:40:00 was not quite gonna happen, called it a day 'injured' to save face.

They represent less than 1% of the total starters.

Fact is - show up on the day fit, well trained and if you stay hydrated - you get round. If not, it's down to bad luck alone.

Ask the 600,000 who have finished so far - they'll tell you the same.
  • This is a fab thread!! Thank you for starting it!
    I am a first timer and I'm having nighmares about the actual day... really!!!
    After reading all your comments I thought to myself .. I can do this. I went for my fisrt 10 mile run last night! Felt amazing to fininsh and to be in double figures!Have been too scared to try and run that far in case I didn't make it, but I did!
    Only another 16.2 miles to go.. oh dear!
    Good luck to everyone !

• Howdy again all!!

Nice to hear that everything is going as well as can be expected this week!! This is when the training starts to hit I think, last time at this point in the training I remember being tired all the time. Make sure that you are resting, eating and drinking enough, especially if this is the first time you've done anything like this. You're asking your body to do an awful lot for you so be kind to it. It's nice to be able to justify that extra hour in bed at the weekends so look forward to it.

Isn't it great when the effects of the training start to show? You can do that extra mile, feel a little bit more comfortable and even cheer yourself on a bit. This weekend I was cheering out loud when I finally managed to get to the top of a nasty bridge on my 5 mile circuit without stopping. The training is working, you're all sounding like it's going great.

Just imagine crossing that finish line..every day spend a quiet couple of minutes visualising it.

Well done everyone, keep up the brilliant work.

Steve
  • Littlemiss -
    Well done on your first 10 miler! Your next goal should be to enter a half marathon as soon as convenient. If you've done 10 in training you're nearly there. You'll be amazed how much more confident you'll be about the marathon once you've got your first half under your belt.
    And running in a race will give you a little idea of the atmosphere on FLM day!
    Good luck!
  • To all the FLM first timers! If you put your mind to it and do the training you can do it! It was my first time last year and i really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is great and the crowds really do keep you going, so just enjoy it!
  • its a fab day, cant be alone with all those people every one chats and the crowds are fantastic, third one for me and again training is behind due to back injury, but went ok on the day the key is not to worry about being behind in the training last year my 20 mile run was 2 weeks before not ideal but still got there.
    i am always nervous at the start have the tea or coffee on offer and try to relax.
  • Thanks Tinkerbell, that's made me feel much better. I've done 3.3 miles on treadmill today just walking and off to see physio on Friday to see how piriformis has reacted to this. I'm really hoping to get back to training proper this weekend, though after a 2 week lay off will have to build up slowly. We will all have to identify ourselves as thread contributors on the day - perhaps we should all sport a daffodil, or carry a copy of Runner's World!

Well done Little Miss on your 10 miler - doesn't it give you a buzz!

• have just found this thread on a day when I've been e-mailing everyone saying "Oh god what have I said I would do on April 23rd"!! So the timing couldn;t have been better. I have found the training up and down the last couple of weeks being a bit down. I am sooo slow and find that I have lots of mini breaks to drink and let my heart rate go down. I've limped thorugh 12 miles a couple of times, the second go being worse than the first which upset me a bit. I am meant to be doing the wokingham half marathon on sunday but am panicking a bit because they have a cut off time of 2 hours for 10 miles which I've never managed. I am trying sooo hard at this and following the plans but I just don;t feel like I'm making the progress other people do. Winge sob!!