Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• OK Sarah, first of all you are further ahead than me. I have only managed 10 miles so far. Also 12 miles is not that far off the highest distance you need to run in training. I tend to completely ignore the 26 miles thing as i will only run it once and see it as just a 20 mile training run where i got lost.... If that happened in real life you would still get home and that is exactly how i see it.

Honestly you are doing fine!
  • This is much harder than I thought though. Sometimes I feel that I am the only person in the world how thinks 12 min miles for a medium run and 13+ for a long run is ok!! Or even a bit good for me. I'm only 4ft11 so have dead short legs and need to lose a couple of stone - will shift one of them before the big day. Maybe we should all hold hands at the back and start a 6hours + club!!
  • sarah, pop over and see us on the short stuff thread, lots us in same boat!
  • There are people there who will be taking 6 7 and 8 hours or more. check out last years results for the last person to cross the line. Dont worry Sarah you will be in good company. the back of the pack is where the biggest party is so dont worry
  • Honestly Sarah I do 12 minute miles and I need to lose a good 3 stone!!! And i am fairly tall so no excuse!

It is really hard and i do have nightmares about it but i just concentrate on the fact that each week its only an extra mile and you have run most of that distance the week before so you will be fine
  • Hi everyone - stay sane! Myself and Cardiff Staggerer had a terrible run yesterday but hopefully the next one will be ok again.
    Rio Fair - how did you get on in the Forest of Dean?
  • Sarah it takes me 14 or 15 minutes to do a mile, even longer on the treadmill. At the moment it looks like I'll be walking the lot so I'll be well behind you! The secret is not to try to run too fast, a walk run programme can be really good - try to get a copy of Marathons for Mortals by John Bingham which has got me started with marathon training in a way that I'm capable of. It's my first marathon, I'm 43, at least a stone heavier than I should be and can only run at 7 km/h on the treadmill! You'll be fine. Don't push yourself too hard in the half marathon, treat it like a training run and if at any point it gets too much, srop! Count the mile you've done in your training log and don't worry about the rest! The really good thing about London is that it caters for runners/walkers who will take 6, 7 or 8 hours so that from my point of view takes the pressure off me timewise. I think the slowest time last year was 10 hrs. Tubs :0)
  • Sorry, that should have read miles plural you've done not mile! I'm sure you'll manage the whole half marthon no problem.
  • I think one of my biggest worries in view of the time I'm going to take is how to fit a packed lunch into my bum bag - I don't want to be the only one with a Marks & Spencers carrier bag! As I last resort, I suppose I could kill and eat a womble!
  • are there any chippies on route? Just bring some cash for a bag of chips or two!
  • there is a cafe in the park at the finish so just pack a small amount of money in the kit bag.its great how every one spurs each other on.i feel tons better already. may not after 15 tomorrow. are u all travelling on the day or staying in hotels ?
  • what Taff Tiger forget to add (she's too polite) is I've got short legs, could easily do with losing 1-2 stone and I demand jelly babies all the way round. The thought of a lovely red baby to chomp on every few miles keeps me going. So see the race as 12 jelly babies long, rather than mileage.
    Tiger's got shin splints, I've got a trapped nerve in my foot and our running pal has done something to a muscle in her bum. This is ridiculous - aren't we beginners meant to be getting fitter??!!

See you all at the back - I'll be the one taking the sweeties from your bum bags....!!
  • ps gorget to add that we're 12 minute milers too, unless we're going downhill with a wind behind us (that's usually the Stella that Taff Tiger's had the night before too)
  • Taff tiger going to the forest of dean tomorrow. Cant wait all packed probably taking far too much but it is going to be hard work and fun.

Everyone people hand things out on the way round!! Be careful what you accept though!
    Take an energy bar with you and get family to have a banana or something with them for when they spot you. you will get hungry but to be honest you cant eat too much or you will feel very sick or get stitch
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone; have just enjoyed reading through this thread. For info, if you read RW magazine, I'm the guy who's trying to crack 3 hours for the first time (we all need our targets), so I hope you don't mind me leaping in with a few comments/observations.

- everyone who runs marathons has to run their first one. It's a magic feeling regardless of time or how much it hurts
    - your medal won't say how long it took you, so don't get too bothered about how long it takes first time out.
    - I remember when I first started running long distances; it seemed very hard, and I often resorted to walking chunks. But the improvement is exponential and will surprise you as the weeks go by.
    - a few years ago I broke a leg when marathon fit (misadventure!). By the time I could run again, I couldn't manage more than half a mile at first. By adding half a mile a day, it took six weeks to get marathon fit again, so you do have time on your side still
    - they might not talk about it, but the faster guys and girls do know that the achievement of the amateur further back is more worthy than the pro at the front

Stick with it, you won't regret it, and good luck in April, after which you can wear your t-shirt with pride!!

Dan A
  • And the medal will last even if the tshirt fades!!
    I agree Dan the sense of achievement you get from finishing that first one beats everything else - ever
  • Dan - you're an inspiration and I'm sure we all hope that you'll crack 3 hours. Cardiff Staggerer hasn't done my reputation much good - I'm the one with the shin splints and the Stella problem! We're taking the training seriously though and the last 4 weeks (since the Trailplus weekend in the Forest of Dean) have been pretty intense and quite a shock to the system. We (myself, Cardiff Staggerer and Liz with the bad bum)feel quite inspired, however, and although scared are, in a funny way, looking forward to 23/04/06. Rio Fair - you'll have a great time - I really enjoyed it and it was the kick up the arse I needed to get training properly!
  • After my 'big' run the other day and reading what everyone else has written I believe we can all do it! Even if we are all at the back eating jelly babies!!!
    I can only imagine how fab it'll feel to finish!
    Thanks for the advice on enetring a half maraton, something I have been thinking about but again i'm a scardy cat! Am going to look for one now.. does anybody know of a decent one around the Northwest?

Tigger I hope the shin splints get better oh..and the Stella problem!
    Dan- you can do it!!!!!
  • Well I've come down to earth with a bump!Took a dive Peter Shilton would be proud of(showing my age). Or was it an impression of a dying fly. Oh well bottom line is I've damaged my knees and in need of physio. Following discussions with Physio (ok me begging) I'm allowed to do 5 miles every other day steady jogging, no hills and due to see him again next Thursday. There are quite a few pubs on route so if all else fails we could change to a marathon pub crawl folks.

Dan will be routing for you.

• Littlemiss. There's an adidas HM in Liverpool on the same day as Silverstone (March 19th). See the london marathon website for entry details. Go for it! In fact I'm sure you'll be ready for one before that. Try looking under events on this website for one local to you.
  • 14 today and feeling very pleased training is back on track.
  • Well done Tinkerbelle! ((Hugs)) for sore knees, shins etc. I've had yet more physio today and ultrasound, more stretches and will try a 4 mile gentle walk on Sunday. I'm trying not to think how close this marathon is getting - my training schedule is completely out of the window now! I'm just concentrating on getting this injury sorted - as for time, well at the moment I'll settle for getting round in under 24 hours! Hubby is running for Guide Dogs too - and guess what, he's injured too! We are seeing more of the physio at the moment than we are of each other! And the house reeks of ralgex!
  • PS We can't travel on the day as on the Isle of Man so flying over Friday and going back Monday. Must get a hotel booked!
  • i would book it asap cos they book really early. i found wrp tours the best cos they take u to the start and the hotels r fab and they hold a special dinner on the sat.
    there is a web site www.wrptours.
    i find the best smelly stuff is warmfx wiggle.com sell it. it warms up muscles before running.
  • Corus hotels also offer a great deal - £75 including meals and coach to start line
  • Hi, haven't been around for a while, but throughly enjoying catching up on this thread.
    Cardiff Staggerer, I took your advice on the jelly babies - what a treat!! I'm not sure the buy one get one giant bag free was quite the point, but the sight of one of those black babies every couple of miles was the only thing that kept me plodding away!

Tubster, I've missed tonnes of training too with a chest infection and I'm just hoping I can get round (I'm sure the suggestions of fish and chips & beer on the way will help!).
    My main problem is needing the loo every 5 minutes!

Littlemiss - I'm running(!?) the Liverpool half marathon on the 19th, bit worried about being last, but at least I know the pubs there!

Take care everyone and good luck with the long ones this weekend. Thanks again for the inspiration!
  • Tubster - myself, Cardiff Staggerer and our friend Liz are staying at the Hilton Docklands for 2 nights for £139 (Fri and Sat - including coach from Cardiff, bus to Expo and bus to start and back to hotel from finish) courtesy of European Heritage (01873 831633) - they are very friendly and helpful - contact Clive, Mike or Kate and say Juliet from Cardiff recommended them!
  • Many thanks for hotel suggestions, will follow them up with hubby - he's got the flights booked at last! Taff Tigger that dial code rings a bell - we used to live a few miles from Abergavenny - a small village called Little Mill!

I'm going to try 4 gentle miles tomorrow, the rotten piriformis is still complaining about the physio from yesterday! I'm going to try jelly babies too - those of us with them on the 23rd can have a jelly baby picnic!