Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• Tinkerbelle - you didn;t give up you listened to your body and took a sensible long term decision - I've had to be rescued my my hubby a couple of times and sobbed like the girl I am which is daft. If you carry on when you are not feeling well you can cause real damage to your body.

I can;t stop eating at the moment all i do is work run eat and sleep - will be the size of a house. Am meant to be doing this to lose weight!
  • Sarah me too!!! I am literally starving!
  • I always knew food was an important part of my life but now all I seem to do is eat, sleep, work and run in that order. I've never had an appetite on this scale. I'm just trying to keep it as healthy as possible but my husband made me eat sticky toffee pudding and custard on valentines day! And chocolate last night .....
  • Im in the same boat... but sadly not opting for the healthy options from next week im going to be healthy
  • Yep just been to borough market and had the most amazing Chicken burger and cheesecake!!!! Next week....
  • yipee did the 15 today, 1 murray mint = 7 miles. it was lonely and bloody hard work and i have lost my speed but hey the 10 on sunday should help.the bottle of wine tonight sure will.
  • well done on 15 tinkerbell... but am slightly alarmed that one murray mint has adds as many calories as you would lose running severn miles... please say i have missed read
  • New to this thread, but it seems a bit more relaxed and more fun then some of the others and after all at the end of the day if running is not fun then why are we doing it?.

Here's an odd tip for you blister sufferers, more preventive then soothing. For the two nights before each long run rub your feet in Petroleum Jelly ... yes that's right, then put some old socks on and sleep with them on ... after a few goes your feet will be so soft that they cannot rub against anyhting. Probably helps if your single though.

More seriously its proper wicking type socks and fitting shoes we all need ... plus the jelly!.

Keep on running only 64 days left to the big day
  • Me Again, just read Octopus's note from 7th Feb and have to agree 100%.

This may cause arguments amongst some and disbelive in others but I think the hardest part of the FLM is not 26.2 miles on the day its the training we are doing now. Dark nights on our own get rewarded on the day with 1000's upon 1000's of well wishers ensuring our minds are on something else rather then any pain we have

Log those miles now and you will finish with a smile on your face ... Gauranteed ... well almost!!
  • I agree completely. Finding the motivation to run just 5 miles on a cold wednesday night is 100 times harder than trying to run 11 miles on a lovely spring sunday!
  • back to the food obssession have just clocked up 2nd chocolate brownie of the week (on top of the pudding and chocolate - could easily win a eating marathon Paula Radcliff wouldn;t stand a chance against me at that!). I have to run 5 miles tonight I normally keep friday free but am finding it so hard to fit 4 runs a week in. Last couple of weeks have only been three and next week will only manage three as going to the opera and have a hen night! Not on the same evening. Is 4 a week really crucial if you make sure you do your long run at the weekend?
  • Hi sarah, as long as you make your long run a good quality long slow run then your mid week sessions can to a certain degree be less important. So rather then chuck in 4 poor quality runs put in three good quality runs.

Sometimes sticking in an effort to say you did 4 a week is actualy counter productive.

Listen to your body, if it says stop mid week then stop ... however the tough part is the long run .. you must do this and make it time on your feet, forget finish times or goals on the 23rd, you can assess that in mid to late march if required. Time on your feet and ground covered for now.

The presure to run 26.2 is big enough and setting time goals is an additional burden for first time marathon runners.

That said I am after the sub 4 hours goal on my second go, so wish I could follow my own advice but please concentrate on quality no quantity ... oh and try and cut out the choc, i've given up lager until after the 23rd, we all have to give up something to reach our goal !! good luck tonight
  • I did a half marathon last weekend so am feeling ok about the long runs I just make sure I cover the ground no matter how slowly. My only goal is to finish - preferably the same day that I start.
    As for the chocolate - I know you are right but I've virtually cut out all alcohol except for very special occasions (weddings, hen nights got one of each before big day) and I am a girl so thats a bit of a daft - and dangerous request. I could stop eating chocolate altogether but am afraid will have complete nervous breakdown and will murder my husband. But will try and be a good girl and cut down, hopefully keeping the pyschotic side effects to a minimum!
  • Sarah I feel exactly the same about chocolate! Smokers can get nicotine patches why can't we get chocolate ones? though I'd probably eat mine!! Unfortunately my chocolate consumption increased while I've been injured - I always turn to it when I'm fed up - so I'll be about 47 stone by April 23rd!

Well done with the 15 miles Tinkerbelle. I'm hoping to manage a pathetic 6 on Sunday and if piriformis behaves hope to introduce some running after that.

It is hard to get motivated sometimes - instead of a donkey and a carrot I could try a tubsterr and a mars bar!

Good luck with the sub 4 hrs Liam - I'm training for sub 24!!!
  • surely jelly babies are not calorie free, and ionly had 2 murray mints.i find the main problem is its about the shall i run tonight but i have to run, it does take a little of the fun out of it and i quite agree the actual day is far better.
  • Scared? I'm petrified. Reading all the comments on here really helps. The logical side tells me that if I continue to follow the plan (currently doing a 5m, 8m,11 m and an interval session) that I have a fair chance of getting round safely. Problem is it just doesn't 'flow'. I have been reading about various peoples experiences in 'First Marathons, personal Encounters with the 26.2 mile monster' many of them having obstacles to overcome but most of them talking about how 'they chatted through the first 16 miles with their running partner or enjoyed the scenery'. I couldn't chat if I wanted to and it makes no mention of eating through a fridge full of food, feeling each mile, feeling fat and still having the odd wine (i know it's pathetic). Am I just a saddo?
  • FLM 06 will be my first marathon too. My schedule states 13 miles this Sunday which is the longest I have ever run so lets hope I survive that. All I have to do then is double it :-)
    Good luck all
  • Hope you dont mind me dropping in. I ran my first marathon in October 2004. I took up running exactly six months before that.

I didnt care about times then and I am only marginally more concerned now. I enjoy running!

If this is going to be your first marathon, I cant tell you what a treat you are in for!! London is special.

All of you first timers should be really proud of yourselves; I still am of myself!!

Kev, what a man! You will survive it, dont worry about that. Enjoy every last step of your 13 miles. Bet you anything, you will go even further next week.

I dont think your a saddo Vicky! How many other people within the British/World population are about to put themselves on the line to run 26.16 miles???? For flips sake you are a superstar!

Good luck to you all! This will be my fourth marathon....and to tell you the truth, you never lose the nerves...or the excitment ;)
  • Vicky again - sorry put a nickname on but it didn't take first time! Hi Dap , very useful to know that its possible to get there in 6 months. I started running in October. Thanks for the inspiration!

Good luck Kev , i'm going for 12 tomorrow. it'll be my furthest too (although i anticipate my slowest).
  • Vicky - don't worry about the odd glass of wine.
    Sarah - The long run is the most important - don't worry if you miss the odd run midweek, you need lighter weeks every now and then to help your body recover anyway. And by the way, you weren't 2nd last at Wokingham. There were 2300 entrants and you came in the top 1700. You beat more than 600 people who DNFd or DNSd. That puts you in the top 75%. ;o)
  • good luck to u all on your long runs, im going to london to go to the asthma uk marathon training day and i have a choice of 8 or 15 i think the 8 is going to be the best after fridays 15. my knees still hurt.looking forward to running in richmond pk.
  • Hi everyone - myself, Cardiff Staggerer and Liz ran 13 miles this morning(whoopee!) with the benefit of two halves of gel and 4 jelly babies. Only another 13 miles and we'll be there! Feeling pretty tired now and have a few slight aches but, overall, feeling good! The beer's going down quite well too! Good luck to all who are doing their LSR tomorrow.
  • Hi everyone,
    Well done to those of you who have done your long runs, sounds like you're all going great. Well done Taff et al - 15's fantastic! Enjoy the beer!

Sarah/Rebecca/Weeble - food, particularly chocolate, is vital for the soul, never mind the body!! This isn't supposed to be total torture you know!?

Kev, Weeble, how did your 12 & 13 milers go? I'm going for a 12 tomorrow - I'm feeling like a cold's coming on today - argh!!! Interestingly enough, I'm sure jelly babies and whiskey are very good for colds!!!???

• mmmm jelly babies...beer...mmmm
  • Hi All

You're all doing so well!!

Zoe - you're so right about the chocolate , especially important for the girls. Get your vit C too.

Jellie babies are fab , my hubby had to deliver me a handful on the long run yesterday , i lost my gel gums , had a strop about that but whilst i was having my strop a nice runner came and joined me and ran 2 miles with me , just what the doctor ordered , another beginner also doing the marathon , what a relief (anyone believe in Angels!!!). Anyway , the 12 miler ended up being 13 and I was pretty chuffed , it was slow but i guess thats par for the course.

Good luck to all for the next 7 days......
  • Well done with the mileage everyone!

Zoe try a hot toddy for the cold - good splosh of brandy, hot milk, a clove and honey. Give it all a good stir and have an early night!

Me and the piriformis limped 6 pathetic miles this morning with it hurting every step of the way :0( and I didn't run a step!!! I was really despondent but when doing stretches thought back to Friday when I had a massage and annual facial (pollyfilla can only do so much) and remembered that my back had felt sore. Think that's why I was so uncomfortable today. More physio on Tuesday, apply for bank loan to pay for it all on Wednesday! I may even be able to run next week! Think I should award myself a jelly baby an hour - it took me 1hr 40 mins today including warm up and down!
  • Went out this morning for my longest run so far of 15.5 miles.
    Legs sluggish for last mile or so but still managed it in 2hrs 21.
    Quite pleased with the time as I seem to be keeping a steady pace with only a few seconds difference with each mile

Hope everyone elses runs go well
  • Hi everyone. Well i did my 12 miles in 2 hours 34 which i was pleased with but my god it hurt at the end! The last two miles i had nothing left to give! And right now i am barely able to move!!! Funny thing is i felt so positive for first half - was even thinking maybe i would try doing 13!

This was the first long run i have done on my own as normally run with sister and her boyfriend who are also running FLM. I was a little worried i would be bored but actually i was fine. Friend who has just started running ran first lap with me then it was just me and the ipod!

Have to admit though to feeling quite worried. I really could not have ran anymore this week and next week i have to run 14. I honestly don't know where i am going to find another 2 miles from since i walked pretty much the last 1 and a half anyway!

Well good luck everyone.
  • Well done on the 12 miles, just focus on how far you've come so far and remember that next week