Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• tubsterr have u thought about acupuncture, i had piriformis last year and probs with my back and it worked. have had to do it again this year.
  • Hi guys getting quite oncerned as I did a half last week (Wokingham) in 2 hours 13mins, but wanted to do 14 this week and had to stop due to a pain in my right knee which comes and goes....
    How much time off can I afford to take????
  • go and have it looked at, cos if it goes at the lfm its no fun.better to rest now and sort it.try a knee support, buts its better to run with the support around the ankle and pull up if knee starts.i use voltarol gel and finds that helps
  • Following my last post, I did complete the 13 miles yesterday in 2hrs 7 mins so a bit of fine tuninng and plenty more training to get me in under 4 hrs for the 26 miles.
    Hope everyone had a good weekend.
  • I'm getting worried myself. Did 14 miles 2 weeks ago in 2:04, felt really good. Had a week of 'cos of a cold, then this week did the same route in 2:24, and felt exhausted!
    Love to crack the 4hr mark, but dunno now.
  • Hi Big Johnson

I'm only a beginner so no good taking advice from , i guess that all that experienced runners /books have said to me is that sometimes speed comes at a cost and you wouldn't want that to be an injury that stopped you doing it........ but then thats easy for a weeble to say , having never experienced coming close to that time. I'm looking at a 4 hr 45 finish at best, possibly 5 hours. If its in one piece i'll be relieved!
  • Hi Weeble

Finishing in one piece is more important than the time for sure. I set myself a 4hr target just to give me a training schedule so will be happy with between 4hrs & 4hr 30 mins.

Big Johnson

Stick at it mate, speed should come back
  • Glad everyone's runs went well. Tubbster, you are doing SO well to be keeping going! Hope the physio goes well this week.
    Had a bit of a disaster yesterday with my 12 - only managed 1(?!!) as I felt so terrible (think my cold is now another chest infection, the joys of working in a school!). Anyway, will have a few days off and try again. It's a bit of a worry though.
    The hot toddys are at least helping my spirits though!!
    Have a good week
  • I thought this forum was for scared plodders not speedy 4 hour people, 13 miles in 2.07 OH MY GOD HOW???. I had a revelation this weekend because like Rebecca when I do my long runs I hit trouble after 9.5 to 10 miles and I really couldn;t run another step after 13. On Sat I slowed right down - now i am slow anyway but think pace of a chain smoking 90 year old, well I was slower than that. It felt really strange and a bit uncomfortable I used my HRM to keep my rate to as near 140 as poss (normally my average on a LSR is 156 bpm)if it got above 150bpm I took a walk break. I did 14.5 miles and managed a little sprint at the end which is so much better than the agony that I am normally in at the end of the long runs. It took ages (I think about 3.15 but I didn;t really time it) but it was enjoyable and I could have gone further. So if the point for most of us is to get round (sub 24hrs) SLOW down and enjoy and use the midweek runs to work on pace. I figure that if we are spending hours running of a weekend it is really sad to dread it and not enjoy it. Throw away the watch for the long runs, relax and enjoy it. (My brother in law did 14 in 1.40 this weekend - some people can just do this marathon thing).
  • Sarah you are so right! I am glad you reminded me of the fact that everyone runs differently and at the end of the day the main thing is to enjoy it.

My long runs are on a very undulating course so i am going to run my 14 miles this weekend in London along the thames and see if being on the flat makes a difference. I think it will do as i am terrible with Hills
  • Sarah

Enjoyment is the key no matter how long or fast you do it in..
    The country views yesterday were wonderfull and although I checked the watch at half way there was no consideration given to the end time. I ran at a pace that was comfortable to me and one where I could enjoy the scenery..
  • also opened my RW training e-mail this morning and it says the same thing. I am so clever (ha ha if I was then why am I doing this MAD THING??)
  • Rebecca - the girls from RW told me to walk the hills so I did that too and it made a huge difference. My run is really hilly too so for the longer hills i ran a bit then walked a bit and normally I grit my teeth and try to run all of the way up steep hills which is good for the short runs for leg strength but on the long runs why kill your legs when you don't need to? Our pace sounds about the same I've done 12 in about 2.38 but wanted to shoot myself at then end of it.

Am going to start writing the lazy girls guide to marathons!!
  • Glad the F words back , i was beginning to wonder about the fun aspect.
    Sara - i can relate to that feeling and the thought of doing it twice over is yuk. Rebecca , look at your first entry on the forum - your distance and look where you are this week , its fab!

Re the lazy girls guide... any tips welcome. Do you think height makes a difference to speed?!
  • I am just under 4'11 so yes that is why I am so slow. When i first started running my 6ft 2 husband used to stroll alongside me smoking a fag while I was running as fast as i can - tis true! Walk next a a tall person and see how their stride length is so much longer and easier so it must make a huge difference.
  • Thanks guys! You have made me feel a lot better! And Sarah maybe we will see each other at the back or certainly at the finish line as we seem to be running similar times!
  • i am so glad you said that , i'm 5'1 and i'm convinced it makes a difference! Room for 1 more at the back??????
  • Some of the african lady runners are tiny too!!

Sorry to put a spanner in the works

<Leaves shutting door behind me.>
  • p.s. sara , just re- read your posting - your times aren't slow......
  • I am only 5'6 with very short legs, so when you run next to someone whos is 6ft you realise that two of your strides equals one of theirs. Us shorties do run harder :-)
  • Haile Gebrselassie the men's world record holder for the HM is also a midget!

But I think generally you are right, if you are a bit taller alonger stride must help a bit. I think Paul Tergat the marathon record holder is fairly tall and Paula looks pretty tall too?
  • That may be the case , but i'm not a runner yet.................. just learning to be!...
  • I think it's a bit different when you are comparing professional athletes who also only weigh about 5 1/2 stone to us mortals. Please stop taking away my short legs excuse it is true - honest. Now I HAVE to leave this argument and work am procrastinating boring task right now!
  • Paula looks taller than she is in real life. I think she is around 5'6 but really really tiny.

Sarah sorry I was playing devils advocate. I have a very short stride too. Apparently it can be increased by increasing your suppleness and practicing
  • I am getting really scared, so I think this thread is for me!

I was doing really well until the end of January when I damaged my calf. Up to 18 miles, and now down to 8.

I just fear there aren't enough weeks to get up to 20 miles in a sensible pain-free way.
  • 5ft 6 is tall by my standards and I am on the tubby side of very chunky so that slows me down too. I am trying to get rid of some of the lard before M day but I get so hungry I could happily feast on small children (who incidently are about the same height as me).

Now I really am going to get on with my presentation I'm writing (its so dull)
  • well said Sara , not to mention the fact that more often than not these pro's have someone to cook their food, massage their aches and pains away and the avoidance of the 'day job!' Right , best get back to my donut...

Farmer - are you in agony on your 8 miler - are you getting treatment for it?
  • weeble

I've been seeing a physio, and while I'm not in agony, it's slowly getting better. Very frustrating and not really helping the nerves!
  • Farmer , i bet. Are you working to a training plan? I've got the beginners plan from the London Fitness Centre via my charity Get Kids Going , it says that this week should be a:

1 x Steady 5 miler
    1 x Easy Pace 8 Miler
    1 interval session running hard for 1 minute, walk 1 minute - do 12 mins of each running and walking
    1 x Easy 10 miler

I know all plans differ - but based on this ther's no reason for you to panic!
  • Farmer - don't panic, I'm having physio too and have missed 2 wks completely, furthest mileage to date only 10 and I'm still only able to walk! You'll get there, don' t worry :0)
    I'm not giving up, I've accepted that I'll probably be just walking but I'll get round!

Tinkerbelle - I think I will give acupuncture a try - only concern is that I might burst!

Millimoo - get your knee checked out, you've got time to get it sorted and still do the training.

Rebecca - not surprised you were tired after 12 miles! Well done - walking breaks do help. Not that many long ones to do now, you're almost there!

Big Johnson - you probably found this run harder as the effects from the cold can take a while to wear off. I tried walking 7 miles just before Christmas with a cold and felt absolutely dreadful - seriously considered thumbing a lift with 2 miles left to go!

Sarah O - you're not slow!! You're running, I'm walking! And think how much faster and further you're going than all the people sitting on their backsides reading the sunday papers!

Me and the piriformis are off for more physio tomorrow, hubby is also having physio, acupuncture and massage - he's done FLM before, but its taking its toll this time. We are thinking of remortgaging the house to pay for it all! Who ever wrote "all you need to run is a pair of trainiers" was wearing rose tinted ones!