Watford 10K

Good course - surprisingly tough - really well marshalled. Friendly atmos.
Perfect way to start bank holiday monday.

Done it last 3 years and times have got progressively worse so Sub 50 this year before I get too old.

Comments

• Can't see how spending time in Watford is a good way to start a Bank holiday Monday :-)

Haven't done it for a couple of years but maybe I will this time. Assuming of course that Luton aren't playing (or should I say beating) Watford in the Play off final at Wembley that day!
  • (Pizza man walks past and says through coughed words)

"2-1" :0)
  • PM - yep that should do it but at Wembley it will be the other way round !!

Remember Luton have won at Wembley :-)

Remember it is the team showing late season form that always wins the play-offs and we are coming back !
  • We won at Wembley too Playoff final against Bolton 2.0

That last line is so true
  • You think Wembley will be ready by then?
  • I hope so. It is a damn sight closer for Watford and Luton fans than Cardiff !!

Also they won't need to have finished all the seats because Watford only have about a thousand supporters :-)))
  • I assume that's Watford and Saracens combined?
  • Yes indeed. I think the teams are probably combined as well, given the number of times they punt the ball over the bar .... :-)

An indignant Pizza man will be alone in a moment. H is a member of the exclusive band of Hornets
  • band of Hornets

Is that the pre match entertainment at Vicarage Rd?
  • Did I really start a football thread? Well done me.

Come on the super Dons.
  • If it's permissible to post a message that isn't about football, does anyone know when the website for this event will be up? I keep checking and it says it is under construction or some such. I don't like entering online (too stingy to pay the extra)
  • Helloooo :-)
    Do you think this race would be too tough for a beginner??
    Does it have any steep hills or anything?
    Hoping someone can help!
    Kind regards
  • Bexxy, it is 'undulating', and although the hills are not especially steep it can be quite tiring. However, it is all off-road, apart from one small bit. It is really lovely, through a wood full of bluebells and it is a friendly sort or race, there are plenty of slower runners in it, so I'd say go for it
  • Bexxy: I did it as my first ever run last year, so it has special significance for me. I finished at 68 minutes, and there were plenty of others way behind me. So I'd echo Mad Uncle Bob and say "go for it".
  • Thank you for your replies - i'm gonna do it! Woohoooo!! My first ever race :-) I run around a big common where i live which is 'undulating' ... however, 10k would be four times round the common and at the moment im only really on two so i think ive got some work to put in here!

Excited though

Thanks again
  • Bexxy,

I'm with you in that I'm a beginner. I ran my first 10k in Feb this year which was the PPUK race in Battersea Park.

10k is tough but manageable - I took 64 mins to finish. I had previously only run 5k races so was really pleased just to finish.

I know Watford quite well and looking at the course route, it does look like there is one quite long hill leading up to Wippendell Woods so that will be a challenge I'm sure! However, I have heard that it is beginner friendly so I'm really glad you're going for it!

:) xx
  • Actually I should add that the organisers of the Watford 10k have very kindly given me permission to recruit runners to raise money for Cancer Research UK, so if anyone is up for raising money, let me know and I can send you a sponsorship form, etc.

:) x
  • Have done this the last 3 years (the start is 200 yards from my house), I'd recommend it. Whippendell Woods is very pretty at that time of year.
    There are a couple of hills, but nothing really drastic. The main thing is not to go off too fast, which is easier said than done because it's a long downhill. The trouble is, then you have pretty much an equivalent uphill the other side of the river and canal.
    The other thing to remember is that there is quite a long way left after you come back into Cassiobury Park.
    Not a PB course, but definitely one of the more interesting courses (not using that word euphemistically!).
  • I've just remembered some of the hills! There is a bit of a tough one in the second half, but you'll probably pass me as I crawl up it. And, as JFB says, there's a long way to go once you get back into the park. But it is a really nice race, and the bluebells are stunning
  • Ah JFB - a fellow Watfordian!

I have read that it is a good idea to let gravity take you and run fast downhill as it will make your overall time faster.

As an inexperience runner (particularly when it comes to hills) I tend to believe what I read so does anyone have a view on this?

• Hi, Tamara.
    I think the answer to your question is yes, to a degree: you want to relax downhill and make up some time you lose going uphill, but you don't want to overdo it, especially at the start of a race. I have learned this the hard way when it comes to races starting at the top of Cassiobury Park (the Half-Marathon does too, and various cross-country races)! Particularly if you are inexperienced, it is definitely better to start well within yourself, and you can always push on later if you feel good.

• Thanks for the advice! I will be pacing myself (I am quite slow!) which I've learnt is the best way to finish without injuring myself.

:)
  • I've just entered online for this. I have a track and field meeting the Saturday before, where I'll probably end up doing 5K and 3K S/C - just getting my excuses in before I start.
    Hope to see some of you guys there.
  • I also live in Watford and second the above views. The route has some climes but they are fairly short (I would guess nothing over 400m distance?), so 'hang in there' and they are over quite quickly.

Using gravity downhill, with slightly faster and shorter steps, provides some relief and helps to reduce the impact of each stride. Uphill, I try to ignore the desire to lean forward, but instead look ahead and lean back a little.

Finally, the final return 'lap' around the park (last km or so) includes a gentle incline for about 400m. Normally nothing to worry about, but it's the last thing you need at the end of a race.
  • An incline at the end of the race? What mean thing to do to us!

Thanks for the advice!

x
  • Corky2Corky2 ✭✭✭
    Joemole

I did this last year as one of my first 10ks (since completed the Watford 1/2/Reading/Thanet 20 miler etc) and I am going to run the FLM in 2 weeks, it's one of the most hilliest 10ks I have ever done!

Certainly not undulating!!!! If I remember correctly, every time I turned a corner there was another hill - in fact I think I had to walk up one of them.

• RichardWRichardW ✭✭✭
    Hi, BernieW and Brooks!

Your presence is another incentive to run this race.

Mind you, I'm still negotiating whether I'm allowed to do it as it's on a Bank Holiday. I've managed it for the past few years...but it's always a struggle to get approval.

• Has anyone had their race number yet? Less than 2 weeks to the race, and I haven't heard a sausage.

You guys all fit and ready?
  • Hello all!
    I have entered with Rebecca Sportspace, we remember it well from last year, especially where we needed a chairlift to get to the top of one of the hills! To all those beginners out there, go for it, this was one of our first 10k last year and we managed it, hills and all! Its not that bad. The queue for the toilet was bad though so get there early!!!
  • No number yet, XFR, but I'm ready-ish.

Advance apologies for perhaps under-estimating the hilliness of the course. You are all welcome to berate me afterwards!

What type of shes are folk intending of wearing: Off-road/trail or road? With rain beforehand, Wippendel Woods might be muddy, but there is also a good bit of road included. On the other hand, if it's been dry for a few days prior to the race, road shoes would be fine through the woods too.