Training session-- Weds 22nd

Morning all

What : Gentle Jog
Why : part of come back

Will

Comments

• Morning WW

What: Nowt
    Why: Picked up a foot injury on Sunday, swelling and pain on the top, pain in the arch.

• Morning.

What: know doubt a very hard game at squash at 8am, plus full body stretching before and after, and 90 full body massage at 6pm

Why: Cox I love squash and I luuuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv the massage.

Last Hard: Sunday

Last Rest: Monday

must dash, must whoopp his ass today

bye
  • Managed to do a bit of a speed session last night (reading yesterdays threads got me in the mood). Nothing too strenuos though, 10 minutes warm up followed by 20 minutes hard (ish), may start looking for an end of February race.

Today: Cross Train (cycle and row)
    Why: Cross training is my mantra for 2003
    Last Rest: Friday
    Last Hard: Yesterday

WildWill: Hope the comeback is going well.
  • What: am 4m very easy, pm steady 6m

Why: Marathon schdule - easy/stady day

Last Hard: Yesterday - 8*800m with 2mins rec. Avg of 2:18 but ranged from 2:15 to 2:24.. Legs stiff today..

Last Rest: 07/01

Feeling fitter at last - firs session thats gone to plan in quite a while....
  • "ranged from 2:15 to 2:24"

Were you taking a shortcut !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That'll be quite fast then.
  • Good morning!

What: 3.5(ish) mile run if time permits this afternoon, and BodyPump followed by a little swim tonight.
    Why: I have almost three months of lost training to catch up on...no, don't flame me, I don't mean it! Need to get into the habit of 3-4 outdoor runs a week plus treadmill speedwork.
    Last rest day: Monday.
    Last hard day: Sunday.
  • Morning :-)

What: Hill rep session for me today, after a six mile run. So Session will include 6 mile run followed by 10 hill reps.
    Why: Schedule says so:

Last Hard: Sundays Race
    Last rest: Yesterday

• Martin,'fraid not, though wish it had been - on the track with club training group - all track runners aiming for indoor season, so very quick :( They only did 5 - last3 killed me.. sick at end ... yuck..
    Feel better for it this morning//
  • Morning Molls and mobsters

WW hope the exercise restart will help the sleeping.

what :Well today is restart R day. Physio has OK'd me to tackle a couple of miles at a steady pace. so will fit this in on the tready amongst some vigorous xtraining 30min tempo type stuff.
    why: orders
    last hard day : sunday
    last rest : tues

can I dream about a comeback 4 mile funrun this w/e?

Oh, the blond & uniformed look seemed to get the wrong sort of attention yesterday ;-) so I've changed the photo.
  • IRW - bl@@dy hell!

Oh, and morning all.

What: Think I'll have an easy 3-4 miles.
    Why: Seems to be the thing to do on Wednesdays, and I'm a bit knackered after club night & Sunday's race.
    Hard: 1K intervals last night (averaging 2:40.... OK, I'm lying!).
    Rest: Monday.

I'm really, really loving my running at the moment. Am I ill?

Have fun.
  • What: Gym session X-training tonight
    Why: Midweek stength work
    Last hard run: Sunday
    Last rest day: Monday

Knackered at club session last night so didn't do the fartlek just jogged round. Feeling much better this morning.
  • morning

so no real commitment yesterday then IrW ;-)

what: 5 miles; silent HRM & try not to look at watch; see how it feels
    why: taking things fairly easy post Helsby - for now

last hard day: Sun
    last long day: Sun
    last rest day: Mon
  • Hello all,

Club speed session last night and so a bit tired today.

What : easy 7 miler
    Why :'cos I'm poached!

Last Hard: Last night
    Last rest Sat
  • What: 1M Slow, 2M Fast, 1M Slow
    Why: That's what it says on the schedule.
    Last hard: Last night's club run.
    Last rest: Monday.

Absolutely knackered already.
  • Well easy club run last night was:
    1 mile warm up
    7 x 200m sprints (not too fast)with 30sec.rest.
    2 mile run back to club with a lovely hill just to finish the evening off nicely.
    Today knackered.
    And the general concensus for my lousy run on Sunday was, I started too fast.
  • Morning,

Sorry about your injured foot FF. That your wedding photo then??(the tie is a bit of a give-away)
    Wild Will, sure you will regain your fitness quickly.

What: 3 * mile intervals with '400 m jog recovery' which I will interpret as at least 2 mins 30 in the absence of a track.
    Why: missed Monday night club session, so will do what's on RW schedule instead. Fear it is doomed to failure, pretty sure I'm still recovering from Helsby - so this is why RW say don't race too much during marathon training!
    Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: Mon

Am pushing the boat out this week with another hard run planned Sunday, ah well, will be demotivated and knackered by this time next week.
  • What a lovely morning!
    Just got back from 5 miles steady and feeling really good.
    Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: Fri
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Greetings

What : 12.5mile midweek long run in just under 1h35. Felt pretty good considering yesterday was "mile reps" day.
    First 5 in around 37:30,next 3 easy in 24:00 and last 4.5 in 33:26 , obviously all approximated from two measured circuits and spontaneous glances at the watch on the route.Felt quite strong on the last run home (apart from the hill a mile out).
    Why : midweek long run
    Last Rest : Friday

• afternoon, all you hard-working runners -

what: 6M recovery at av. 6:50 pace;
    then 8 x 200m strides at the pace it took IRW to do his 800m's yesterday (wow, that's incredible - and he's going around asking us all for advice on how to run a marathon!);
    then lower body weights.
    why: recovery day
    last hard day: yesterday without a doubt
    last rest: Friday
  • Hi Achilles, any advice greatfully received.. There is so much literature and advice on marathons - really after a consensus as to the 'best' advice - Have no idea what the pain will be like, and imagine myself 'dieing' around 20m... need some positive thinking... looking forward to running it, but secretly dreading it... its a long way..
    Have been doing track sessions since being about 11, so 18 years now... Lucky to have the speed to run 400m upwards on the track.. Need stamina now....
  • What: 8 miles.
    Why: Increase my midweeker from 6 to 8 as part of Paris mara build up.
    Hard: Sunday's 2 hour cardio gym session in lieu of my cancelled 18 miler (due to weeather!!)
    Rest: Monday.
  • IRW -

it's a long story obviously, but the essentially the key to not dying is doing plenty of 20 mile runs (at least five) and preferably one or two longer ones as well, as well as (I think from listening to lots of good advice) doing a regular (weekly) longish tempo run at target marathon pace.

have a look at the "sub 2:45 is it possible?" thread on the FLM forum for some expert recommendations.

I'm sure you're on for a blistering debut. best of luck.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hello guys and gals,

What: Probably 3.6 miles tempo, perhaps less.
    Why: I think I may have increased both my number of runs and my mileage too quickly after a bit of a lull over Christmas. My knees really hurt on Monday's recovery run (the first time I've ever experienced pain in this area) and the right one was still tender yesterday. Didn't help any that I bashed it on the table last night too! Feels OK today but don't want to push the distance too much. Plus I have a cold (sniff!)
    Last hard: Sunday.
    Last rest: Yesterday.
  • IRW - on the pain of the marathon I think different people react differently. I liken it to one of those bungee runs where speed and effort go in opposite directions. I have only run 2 marathons but have run probably 30-40 halfs and the marathon definitely feels more than twice the distance. I think you have to experience it though.

My only advice would be LISTEN to those who say you need lots of long training runs!
  • Good afternoon all

I am new at this training thing so made up my own speed session on the treadmill.
    What: 13 min warm up
    23 mins run/walk
    runs lasted 1.5 mins at 10km/h
    walks between 1 min and 2 mins
    3 min warm down
    Why: I want to go faster. At the moment old ladies can walk faster than I can run.
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Tuesday
  • Afternoon,

Report back to base camp:
    1 m warm up, 3* mile intervals off 2.30 recoveries.
    result: 1 - 6.40, 2 - 7.15, 3 - 7.10.
    1 & 2 were out and back on the same stretch so can't blame irregularities in distance for my appalling pacing!
    Total session 41 mins, av 82% whr, bit meaningless to average out hr, but don't have fancy enough monitor to show intervals.

On the subject of marathon training (and purely academic interest in my case), what difference does it make training in metric or miles? Printed off some suggested interval times off the Stockholm marathon website and it struck me their sessions are 400/800/1000/2000. (you key in your 5K pace and a calculator shows ideal interval times for threshold and VO2max sessions). But most schedules I've seen talk about 1/2 mile or mile reps. Any thoughts?
  • Laura -

I think you'll find it's just those poxy Europeans and their incomprehensible fondness for the metric system. you'll find that all their distances are multiples of kilometres just as ours and US ones are multiples of a mile. most experts say it really doesn't make any difference to the training value.

well done on your session so soon after the weekend heroics.
  • ooh, that's spooky - how come my reply to Laura ends up before her question?

have we entered an alternative space-time dimension all of a sudden?
  • Achilles - not wanting to defend "Europeans" but why if you buy a car in the UK will you be quoted a 'miles per gallon' figure when a cars tank size is measured in litres and petrol sold in litres?

PS: Vaguely amusing how the UK never considers itself european.

PPS: I also wondered what was going on when I read your first post - twilight zone?
  • weird - mine jumped ahead of Laura's as well