Garmin Forerunner 305

Comments

• Gareth,
    The Training Centre maps are pretty c**p. Sporttracks is the way to go, it's ideal and a free download. There are lots of links to it on this thread or just do a google search for it. I still havent heard from Garmin ref the download problem, so presumably they dont care!
  • Thanks for the advice.
    Will have a look at Sporttracks, did you have any chatroom pop-up problems Kevin?I've actually been prompted to send an error report to Garmin tech.support tonight, and i've asked for a reply giving guidance/info, so we'll see what happens. Won't hold my breath though.
    Has anyone actually managed to download it yet; do we know if it's worth the mither?
  • No chatroom pop-ups Gareth, but then I dont use Motion based. I had a look at it, decided that Sporttracks did all I needed and left it there
  • hmmm i have motion based and no chat room invites :S i use sporttracks most of the time, only reason i have motionbased is to show the runs i want to to friends, races etc
  • Hi,
    Apologies for repeating myself (posted on another thread already) but am after any advise to retrieve history for Garmin 305. 6 months worth has just dissapeared overnight for no reason!?
  • slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I am a technological idiot, and I'm afraid the answer to my problem is so blindingly obvious you'll all crack up laughing, but here goes.....I've just upgraded from a 301 to a 305, and I can't work out the software. I downloaded sport track after reading this thread (though I have to say I can't actually get it to give my data back to me in any useful format)and I thought it would be good to import my 301 history onto it as well. It wont let me, keeps telling me it's not possible. I've tried to import from the device - it refuses to recognise it. From the training centre - it tells me that "CSV files with activity data must contain a date or datetime column" and won't play. My pc defaults to the training centre whenever I connect my garmin to it. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the lack of paragraphs but my pc has decided to boot me out of the internet every time I press "enter" today. I suppose technology just hates me :-((
  • HAs anyone used training peaks website? - the virtual coach looks promising

Annual Training Plan (set up for your races)
    Nutrition Tracker with Calorie Scanner (reads bar codes of food labels to track your cals)
    Workout Planner
    Daily Log
    Reports and Graphs
    File Library
    Race Tracker
    GPS Mapping like sportracks / motionbased

All for $10/month (appx. £5!!) - has anyone used this site? -click HERE does the calorie scanner work in the uk?

• Got fed up waiting for Garmin to respond to my e-mail ref downloading the latest Training Centre upgrade which kept crashing. In the end I rang them, not exactly customer friendly but I got a result..... They recommended I download the file direct from Garmin's homepage instead of via the Training Centre. It took a bit longer but it works. No idea what difference it has made but I'm now at the latest version. The file is quite easy to find on their website.
  • A question to users of sport tracks. I ran some intervals today on accurately measured track. When my watch imports data into the garmin training centre module it shows the correct time per split and distance.

When I import into sportstracks though, i have the correct distance but the wrong time i.e. it always shows about 20 secs longer per split. Anyone any idea why (we were recovering walking for first few secs after interval) but distnace is spot on each time.

If no one knows why/how to stop this. Anyone got idea of how to correct splits timing as do not see way to do it.

Simon
  • Starnded - the only thing I can think of is - you need to be viewing the splits in Custom Time mode. I think this should display the splits as received from the device.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Looks like I may have to upgrade to 305 from 301 as it is faulty again it reaches 9 months then goes haywire.

So is it really worth it and has it got similar faults or are they all sorted!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I'm off on my holidays at the weekend (Spain) and I was wondering if I'll be able to use my Garmin 305 other there, or will it get confused and not pick up the satellites?

(apologies if this is a stupid question)
  • Stranded -- I can't answer your question off the top of my head but why not post the question on the Sportstracks forum? You usually get an answer direct from the guy who's written the app, though he can be a bit short sometimes.
  • Shielsy - You should have no problems over there. It may take a bit longer to find the satellites when you first turn it on, but once it knows where you are it should start up faster the next time round.
  • No problem... hope you have a good holiday!

Dom.
  • can anyone tell me how to change from running to cycling on the forerunner 305?

Thanks,
    Helios
  • hold the mode button in for a few seconds - the option should then come up.
  • Has anyone any ideas on what is up with my 305, garmin don't respond I hear they have poor aftercare,
    Anyway the battery is nearly gone, I plug it in, and the charging starts then after a second stops, or as I plug it in the unit starts searching for satelites.
    Is it an easy mend, or should I send it back, it is only 6 months old.
  • Do you have it turned off for charging? If it is on it will search for satelites. Sorry if my advice is obvious?
  • yes it is off, I have had a response from garmin, so might get it sorted. thanks
  • goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    I have just got a 205 and it wont talk to my PC Ive added the info off my 301 no problem

Its charging up but when I click on set upprofile to download runs it comes up

there was a problem while communicating with your device Please make sure it is connected to your computer

eh???
  • goldbeetle - i ended up going on the garmin website and sending two e mails, one went to USA the other to UK after a week got replies and some advice, and a returns address, wiating for an answer now.
  • They replaced it no questions, but I have lost my history and will have to set it up again, so not quite a perfect outcome.
  • Hello everyone! I've been observing the Forerunner 305 forum since I received one at Christmas (lucky me!!).

In any case, I have a question that hopefully someone will be able to help me with:

My laptop crashed so I am using a backup for the time being. On the first laptop for every activity I brought in to Training Centre, I would update the 'notes' page with comments and general stuff.

I've been able to recover the 'garmin' folder from that laptop and want to copy over/retrieve all that historical data + notes on to the Garmin install on the backup laptop. The problem is that I cannot determine which file holds that specific information. Has anyone else had to/been able recover note data from Training Centre? I can re-sync my garmin with the software, no problem. It's the notes on each activity that I'd really like to recover.

Any useful pointers would be most appreciated!

• Goldbeetle; try clicking on the 'Tc' or 'Training centre' rather than the 'Garmin' logo
  • The files you need are located in :-

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataGARMINTraining Center and then the ID number of your unit. In there you will find four files, history, course, user and workout.
  • LisaFox 4, you're a star!! Many thanks. That did the trick.
  • Lisa Fox 4 - do you work for Garmin? :-)