Garmin Forerunner 305

Comments

• Sorry to sound a bit thick, but I've been having a spot of bother with Training Center for a couple of days. I found that I couldn't transfer data from my device to the PC, and that my history and courses have disappeared.

I've had a look at the folder described above by Lisa Fox 4, and have found CourseTree, HistoryTree, UserProfile and WorkoutTree which are all BIN files.

What do I do with the next? I've tried to double-click on the files and chosen Training Center in the "open with" dialogue box. I've also tried to import history from Training Center which doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Rhys, I would dump training centre and use sportstracks as its much better.
  • Hi,

I'm thinking of swopping my old laptop for a nice new macbook (I can get one at a discount through my work, yay) but will this impinge on my Garmin, or do I just stick the disc into the mac and install it?

Also, what would happen to my sports tracks data?

Sorry in advance if this is a really stupid question!
  • Shielsy not sure sorry, think they are mac compatable though.

I have my garmin set to auto lap every mile but when I cycle it doesn't do this. Is there any way I can make it auto lap for my bike rides?
  • Sheilsy

I have a 305, works like a dream on my iMac (Intel). You will need to download the software (Training Center and web updater) from the Garmin, or the Apple, website. There is also additional software you download for the Mac, like Garmin POI Loader 2.0.1 from Apple’s website.

Training centre for Mac OS: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3339

Web updater for Mac OS
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3699

Go on, get yourself a Mac. After 10 years of using PCs (I had a x286) I have recently switched and I am very pleased I did. A nicer machine, more reliable and considerably more gorgeous to look at.
  • ...but a lot more expensive. Apple are good with some products - but with a lot of things, it's style that comes first. PC's at least give substance. ;)
  • Thanks for the info, LondonBoy.

I did indeed splash out on a Mac last week, and yes you're right - it is far more gorgeous :o)

Still getting my head around all things Mac-like though, so it may be a while before I turn my attentions to putting my Garmin stuff onto it, but I appreciate the links!

I made a slideshow of all my running photos to the Chariots of Fire theme, which kept me amused for ages, lol.
  • SG

Okay, I’m not going to start a mac vs PC war, whatever floats your boat. However, you can run Windows XP and VISTA native on Intel based Macs (which they all are now). This current add-on feature has been so successful that Apple are incorporating it into the new OSX Leopard, which will come bundled with all new Macs from October. The style over substance argument is old hat.

They are more expensive though, I agree. Did I mention they are more gorgeous?
  • Stuart G - yeah, substance like an old Mini that you used to see a neighbour relentlessly toiling under to make it work. Relentless in its requirement for ever more elaborate security fixes. Relentless in its utter insistence on being clunky, slow, and just a bit "jumble sale".

Now - I'm a Polar RS800SD user but, as Polar have consistently failed to bring out a Mac solution and I can't be bothered installing the Windows horror onto my iMac, can anyone provide a comparison of my unit with the Forerunner 305? Am getting sorely tempted to switch but the inability of the unit to to distance indoors on treadmills is putting me off.
  • By the way, yes, I do work for Apple.
  • Bah

Went to download last nights race when i got in last night and the darn Laptop was refusing to recognise my watch. Removed and reinstalled both sporttracks and Garmin TC and then left it to this morning and although it now recognises the watch it wouldn't download the data.

Is this fixable by the reset option, whatever it was, or is it liable to be a send away thing??
  • Keith,
    I think there is a problem with the training centre software. Mine has stopped downloading my runs also. I checked for updates last night to find a new one which said it was to repair this problem. I downloaded it but it is still the same. I think Garmin are having a few problems at the mo.
    I wouldn't reset in case you loose any data.
    I'm not too bothered about it though as I mainly use sportracks anyway.
  • It was refusing to pick it up on sporttracks, i dont even use the training centre program (still refuses to recognise it with that mind). Hard reset it last night and its working fine again apart from i forgot to reset the alerts as well as all the other things. Was wondering why my miles weren't beeping at me.
  • Wow this thread is dead. Oh well...

Has anyone had a problem with LOSS OF SOUND???
    Mine is generally great BUT i can hardly hear the alarms for distance etc.
    Any advice/comments would be most appreciated.
    Cheers,
    RM
  • It has been a bit quiet in here for a few months hasn't it !!

• Mine's very quiet at the mo - that's cos it's dead image
  • Maybe we're all so happy with our fully-functioning Garmins that we don't need to come on here to find out answers to our problems  image.

(just probably jinxed mine now, haven't I  image)

• I reckon these garmins are sensitive little things, never had any real problems but always a little unsure everytime I download. Problem with the lack of alarms is a minor problem I can live with.

But 3 posts in a day, at least that's something!! Now watch all the problems come flying in!!!
  • Have e-mailed Garmin tonight so hoping they'll be able to sort my expired 305 out for me

• Wheres the best place to get a 205 and it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg before xmas?

• Garmin have told me to do hard reset (which hasn't done anything apart from lose all my data) and download updates.  All very well but I can't download the updates and my pc knowledge is basic, to say the least, so I'm fecked at the mo image

• Have had my 305 for about 5 months, no problems so far. Can't imagine what I did without it (having to try and estimate mileage etc.). Must get around to reading the manual at some point.

Does anyone know how to get "the little man" on the watch as a person to race against?

• Kazz,

Give Garmin a ring, they are much more helpful on the phone than by email. I have had two 305's die on me and both times they have been fantastic on the telephone and replaced the unit without question.

• Hi everyone...not been on this thread for yonks!!  Had my 305 for about 18 months now wih no probs. However, just started to have problems with the HRM...basically am not getting a signal...appears for about a second and then fixes at that heart rate and doesnt move.  I have tried replaceing the battery, re-scanning for the hrm and reloading the software on the FR but its still not working (tried moistening contacts etc).  Any ideas? Where can I get it repaired these days - do I have to send to Garmin (and wait ages) or is there anywhere I can physically just take it to??  Many Thanks
  • Just looked at a couple of sites and it appears you can now get a 305 brand new for £130 ! Scary stuff, wish I'd waited a bit.....

• I'm thinking of getting a 305.  How quick does it react to a change of pace?

I currently have a Polar RS200 with the foot pod and when using the pace settings I notice that it can take some time to 'catch up' when I change pace and just wondered if the Garmin woul be any better.

Thanks.

• its almost instant in my opinion, just however long it takes to do the calculations!
  • Hi All,

@Ian,

I'm having the same problems with my HRM. I bought the 305 in spring 2006 when they were brand new, so it seems like it is as old as yours.

Not used the HRM all week and was going to change the battery tomorrow shall let you know if that fixes it for me.

• Pleased with the 305. Does everything I want. I use the Garmin TC as I don't really see the Sportstrack s/w as offering anything extra

Two issues though, both to do with elevation

GTC elevation for a run is miles out. One run was 1600ft of ascent and putting the same run into mapmyrun (directly from the 305) was 400'. A run along the canal shows around 600' of ascent.

Sportstrack is is double the elevation that the GTC shows.  

• So I placed a new battery in the HRM strap but still the watch does not pick it up.

Not very happy!!!

Ian have you had any more luck to fix the problem? Anyone else experience this?

Steve