Garmin Forerunner 305

Comments

• A few observations re 305: 

I found it best to use 305 in off mode when communicating with PC/laptop (TC).

I always place the watch on the cradle first and then connect to USB, my PC crashed once when I tried to place the watch on the cradle while it was connected to PC (USB).

I also noticed that when you connect in off mode sometime the PC does not recognise the 305 hence no automatic receive data from watch but when you manually load TC and select the option ‘receive from device’, it works fine.

If you use advance option to schedule your run/workout on TC, the schedule are not sent to 305 automatically, you have to click on the option (Send data!) to send your schedule to 305 & any subsequent amendment must also be sent to 305 as there is no automatic schedule synchronisation between 305 & TC.

trust above helps.

cheers 

• blah blah 6 months of posts ok

mc vs pc . mac dont have  vista

sound on garmin thank ghod i dont hear it half way up a two mile clime and it squawks at ,me to go fasternealy threw it over the cliff edge 

losind date you csan back up an entire year of runs on one cd or dvd if you out daily.

macs dont have update downloads every ten minutes,

yeah i got a pc refurbished...the world is wrong 

• Am still getting my replacement garmin configured how I like but am struggling with the mileage timer.  I've set the distance alert and auto lap so it now beeps every mile and I get a lap breakdown in history but I still can't seem to get it to show me how long it took to do the mile that I've just gone thro'.  Any ideas?  I must be missing something obvious!!!

• Am I right in thinking the 205's only difference from the 305 is the lack of HRM?  I've got a Polar so don't need that function.
  • kaz, you can get it to display the last lap for either a few seconds or on the screen setup to show what your current mile pace is.  You can also display the average per mile. 

Bring it on sunday and i will set it up for you! 

• under the screen setting you can show

pace - current

pace average - average of the entire run

pace best - the best mile you have run 

• Thanks chuck.  It's so long since I set the old one up that I can't remember what I'm doing.

Must try to remember the chest strap as still not tested max HR and end of a race seems a good time!  Then again, if it's that cold I may not have a pulse at all!!!

• lol, what leg are you running?  I am hoping that MF becomes our team captain and lets me run the first or second leg!!...  i am not even sure i can run 8 miles anymore....will find out on sunday!
  • lol, what leg are you running?  I am hoping that MF becomes our team captain and lets me run the first or second leg!!...  i am not even sure i can run 8 miles anymore....will find out on sunday!
  • Last one altho' now I must say I don't fancy the thought of all that hanging about.
  • Has anyone encountered this before?

Went out for a run today, and the run has been uploaded fine when I got back ... but it's logged as the 28th November, rather than today's date of the 2nd December.

I did go out for a run on 28th November, and that information is still there, but I've no idea why it should have logged the incorrect date. I really want to sort it out but I can't see anything in the instruction manual about checking the date.

I haven't touched the settings, so I'm curious as to why this has happened.
  • Shielsy,

did you upload after the 28th? if not did you press and hold the lap / reset button to reset to zero before you started running yesterday? If no, the garmin will assume that yuo are continuing the run from the 28th.

• Hi Durham Dawdler,

Yes, I did upload after the run on 28th (I always upload as soon as I get in as I like to see how I've done straightaway) and so everything was back to zero before I started running on the 2nd.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently yesterday before uploading was that I knocked my wrist on the wall as I was walking upstairs to upload the data yesterday and maybe the 2 buttons got pressed simultaneously by accident against the wall ... but I'm not quite sure how that would affect the date of my run.

I'll maybe go for a quick run tonight and see what happens.

Thank you for the response  image.

• As posted on another thread, Amazon have run out of theirs at £130 but if you go to www.heartratemonitor.co.uk they will charge you £145 including next day delivery, but will then refund you £15 to price match the Amazon offer, even though they're not in stock.

I just got mine this morning and I'm really pleased with the service.

• Is it right that the Garmin Training Center on a Mac will only give you a list of all runs you did, but you don't retain the notes field, or get the calendar at the top etc?

I usually use my pc for anything to do with my Garmin, but have been encountering problems with it for the past few days (see above) and after updating the software as per the suggestion of the Product Support department I now can't open Training Center at all ... I keep getting a message saying 'the application has encountered a problem and needs to close". Even a system restore has not done improved things. So now I can't get to my data at all (I tried opening my history through C:/Documents and Settings etc etc but they're all BIN files and won't open.

But the Mac version of TC seems really rubbish!
  • Hi.  Have just taken delivery of my new 305, after a few years of using a 201.  I'm amazed at the satellite pickup.

It's a shame it's just got a battery symbol and doesn't say how much battery time I've got left, unlike the 201.

Also, is there any way of increasing the loudness of the alarm.?

• No, the alarm volume cannot be changed - that is one of the gripes.
  • Thanks Steve.  I'll have to run with it against my ear.  image)
  • Hi,

Has anyone had problems with the alerts element of the Garmin FR305?  I've found that I set my alert for fast and slow pace... only to go back in and find that they have changed from what I set them to!!  An example:

I set fast pace to 6'57" and slow pace to 7'27".  Go back in and find that the fast pace is 6'37" and the slow pace is still 7'27"... I'm confused as to what is going on!

End of the day they are only alerts and I use current pace (which I know isn't great) and the current lap pace which I usually have set to auto-lap at mile intervals.  It's just annoying that for some reason it's playing funny buggers.

Anyone experienced this, know why it's doing it or know of a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

• gmikegmike ✭✭✭
    Hi all. How does the 305 fair when x training? Other than running I'd like to use the HRM whilst on my air rower - will it work? I was considering the RS200SD but the foot pod thingey seems like quite an expensive appendage to be flying back n forth on ya shoe. 
  • I have just won a new Garmin 305 in a race. Is anyone interested in buying it.
  • Hi Lee Eddison

I was interested to read about your pace setting problem, it would be understandable if it was simply trying to convert decimals to seconds or something but it obviously isn't.

Your post caught my eye as i've noticed a similar problem several times when entering additional weight figures for a backpack; if i enter 7lb, for instance, and go back to check i find that it has been updated to 5lb.  It is a bit irritating the fact that it gives you the option and then just overides what you enter, but it's more confusing than anything else.

It is only a guess but i wonder if your pace issue has something to do with any other pace settings you may have entered previously (where you can enter the full range of paces from slow walk to sprint) which might be causing confusion.  It may be that there is a conflict if you have got other slightly different & active pace monitoring settings which are causing it to update/default  to other figures?  Can't see why it should but it might be worth checking.

I'll test it myself & let you know if i discover anything more useful.

Good luck

Gareth

• Gareth and Lee - where are you putting in the pace alterations? If you do it on the PC software end, I think it gets overwritten every time you download results from the watch.
  • MandMMandM ✭✭✭

@ Dave Mansbridge

I will be intrested in buying the watch, could you please email me the asking price - thanks. 

• Tried to mail you but details are private.

I was looking for half the rrp price, therefore 115 pounds.

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

sorry mate, will make details public, not sure about rrp but i know you can get it online for around £130

• You can buy a Forerunner 350 for £130 from Amazon

Therefore half rrp would be £65.00

• Yep, got mine last week for £130 including delivery from www.heartratemonitor.co.uk, Amazon are the same price inc delivery but were out of stock when I got one.
  • Hi SteveC/Gareth,

Thanks for your replies.

I've been setting the alerts via the unit.  I do not use Garmin Training Centre at all (instead use SportTracks).  Not sure what is going on really... I've gone through all the settings on the wrist unit but can't find anything that may be conflicting with the pace alert settings.  I'm getting used to it, and end up looking at my wrist unit anyway when I'm doing some specific training.

I'll keep looking!

Lee