Garmin Forerunner 305

Comments

• If I had a feckin pound for every time I have seen this...

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835

Update the training centre software from that link and try again. You may need to update the Garmin firmware via "webupdater" from the same site
    You may need toi delete the TC software and try again downloading from scratch

I deleted the registry entries for Garmin, but I don't think you have to do it.

I have found this courtesy of loads of other forum users, its all on here somewhere!!
  • The only thing that annoys me is the very quiet alarm.  The one on my 201 is far superior.
  • Mike Gilmartin wrote (see)

I have also recently purchased 305 in prepartion for my first marathon.  I love it.

However, when I try to download my history onto my PC it states there is a problem with the communication between the two. My watch does state 'Transfer complete' when I press the icon on my screen and it will allow me to upload my courses on the watch.

Any help would be appreciated before I smash my PC in frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike, two things I have tried in the past that have worked.

Firstly, try a different USB port, and secondly, simply keep trying.  I often find that it takes three or four attempts before it actually works, but I always get it to work. 

• Nick P,

I agree - rubbish alarm !  Not loud enough to hear over my gasping for air !

• ? weird I think mine is too loud, is that becasue I go running at 4 am yes there is a 4 am image
  • Could be.  Or you've got hyper-sensitive hearing.  image)
  • Hi, does garmin 305 work anywhere in the world? I'm off to india for a months holiday next month, and would like use it there. Does anyone if it works?

I'll just need pace and distance I am running.

Thanks. 

• If the alarms are quiet, it could be on its way out. I had my 305 replaced recently as the alarms had gone from audible even when listening to ipod to barely audible without ipod to non existent. The replacement unit has nice audible alarms.

You should have no problem with it in India.

• I've only had my unit since Novemberish and so i assumed that the quiet alarm was a standard problem.
  • Mindspace - sorry, I've not been further afield than Spain  image, but the Garmin worked fine there ... it just took a while for it to latch onto the satellites there the first time, and after that it was fine

I think as long as you choose the correct region then it should, technically, work.

I think  image

• Mindspace, the 305 will pick up any of the GPS Satelites and work anywhere a normal GPS will work.  ie. anywhere in the world where the device can 'see' a large proportion of the sky.

Fear not image

• Hi all

Question for Garmin 205 wearers

I've just bought a Garmin 205 and I've installed SportTracks (ver 2).  I'm trying to import my run from last night and it's coming up with the following error message:- Import date error, Couldn't open the specified device.

Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Thanks.

• Have you correctly chosen the 205 as your device from the list when you set up ST?
  • Hi Mr Puffy

Yeah I believe that I have.  Selected the Garmin 205 picture out of the long list that appears when you want to import a run.

• Flabby - I've actually just got that error message myself when trying to import the data from TC to Sportstracks, but it was because the teensy port-type thing that attaches from the usb lead to the Garmin's cradle had come out a little, so have you tried checking that the usb is in fully, the connector to the cradle is in fully and that the sensors at the back of the watch are fully touching the sensors on the cradle itself (sorry if this is really obvious, but it had me puzzled for a few seconds when it just happened there)
  • Managed to sort my importing problem out - I had deleted my log book in error image

Thank you for your help anyway though image
  • Apologies if this has been covered before but...

I've had my 305 for a while now and (the occasional glitch apart) it's always worked well.  the only thing that bugs me is that I seem to have to connect to a PC after every run to reset the device.  Is there a way around this?

What I mean is if I go for a run on Monday evening it records my details.  I turn the unit off and get up on Tuesday morning.  When I turn teh unit on it still has the details of Mondays run on teh screen and seems to want to append Tuesdays run to teh end of Monday.  The only way I have found of resetting is to clear teh history, ehich means I lose data.  Is there any way to moe the current run into history and start a new one?

Thanks!

• Hold down the lap/reset button, it will come up with a box saying resetting in 3 seconds, it will count down, and your last run will go to history leaving you with a nice clear screen.
  • Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy Garmin 305, have a Question, can anyone please clarify based on their experiences.

On my running routes, there are quite a few brief and small tunnels, will garmin be able to measure distance(by the way i just run around in london)

Will i have any problems in terms of distance, not too worried about few meters here and there.

• i run regularly along a canal towpath and haven't had a problem.  As for accuracy it will assume a straight line between any points where it has lost a signal and add it in so your final distance should be ok
  • Thanks Mr Puffy, I also run along a canal towpath, so I won't woory much and get it!

• This is truly the best thing for running ever invented and worth every penny! I have to say however that I've become a bit obsessive with the data it gives you! I really think this will help me with my training for the Edinburgh marathon, especially when it starts beebing at you to run faster! It's worth looking around for good deals - my trusted running shop was asking for £200 (with a club discount) but found it brand new on Amazon for £130...that's 100 quid less that the RRP I think!
  • I bought mine today from PCWorld in Boston for £129.99, it's on charge as we speak!

Regards

Claustie

• Hi

Looking to buy a Forerunner, but can't decide between the 205 or the 305....

Happy to go for the more expensive 305, but would only want to use the heart rate monitor occasionally.  So I wondered if you had to use it all the time with the 305, or had the option of turning that feature off when it suited, and not needing ot wear the monitor..?

Any advice?

Cheers

Ian

• Ian, You don't have to use the HRM, Just don't wear it when you go for your run image... All of the other stats (distance, time etc) are all recorded as normal.

• Cheers Steve....though just read about the new 405...might hold off and go for the new one when out

Cheers

Ian

• Hi.  The other week I sent my 305 up for a 15 mile run at a certain pace.  My route was actually a bit longer than that but the unit stopped at 15.  My 201 used to continue passed the requested distance and i was just wondering if there's a way to set up the 305 to do the same thing.  I'd like to set it up for my marathon in May.

• Why not try setting it for 24 miles, then stop it manually as you go over the line?