Garmin Forerunner 305

Comments

• That sounds a good idea.  Thanks.
  • Scuse me for not combing the manual - is there a setting somewhere for the default activity? Mine has somehow changed from "Running" to "Other" and I'm getting sick of changing it before every run.

I've been using a 305 for a long time now, but I've also done a little XC skiing with it recently, and also have uploaded a RW heartrate training programme that adds a series of calendar-based workouts to the 305. Normally, one switches between activity-type by holding down the bottom-left button. It used to default to Running anyway, which suited me, but now it seems to be "Other". I can't remember if I changed a setting somewhere, or if maybe the training programmes are programmed wrong, or what. Any hints gratefully received! image

• Nick P (www.justgiving.com/halstead) wrote (see)

Hi.  The other week I sent my 305 up for a 15 mile run at a certain pace.  My route was actually a bit longer than that but the unit stopped at 15.  My 201 used to continue passed the requested distance and i was just wondering if there's a way to set up the 305 to do the same thing.  I'd like to set it up for my marathon in May.

Nick, I experience the same thing. If you see it coming, you can press the start button immediately after it has finished, and it will continue accumulating as another lap. Or do as Mr Puffy says.
  • Thanks Steve.  I might try that instead.

I'm afraid i've not come across your problem.

• You can go into the menus and select a sport as your default. If you choose running it will assume all of your sessions are runs.
  • Hmm menu | settings | running, click on Use This Sport - if it isn't already the default then it gives a little chirrup. Then in the bottom right of the menu page one sees a little running symbol. But if I then choose today's workout from the downloaded Garmin schedule, the symbol changes back to a little skier - the symbol for other sport. Most peculiar. I wouldn't mind except that my acumulated mileages come under the wrong headings.
  • It seems like the Garmin Schedule is set up wrong then.  Sounds like, without the schedule you wouldn't have a problem and it would stick to running.  I haven't used any schedules yet, but can't you edit them on your pc before you upload them to your garmin?
  • Two hours 45 mins into the Seville marathon my 305 did something very weird. Despite being fully charged it said that the battery was low, there were black lines all over the screen and messages on it I've never seen before, something about saving or rejecting.

The battery should last 10 hours I think, and as for what came up on the screen I have no idea what it was or why it happened. Can anyone help? Should I send it back to Garmin? It's already my third 305 in 2 years. I love using it when it works but they are not at all reliable.

• I got that a couple of weeks ago..never seen it before or since...I assumed it was a setting for what to do in the event of low battery...BUT I was about 20 miles from my usual area-were you ?  Perhaps it is a bug that happens when it has to seek out a new position?
  • I think this lovely little gadget just pips the Wheel as the best invention ever. Dont know what I'd do without it....305 all the way!!
  • Hi guys,

Had my forerunner 305 for about 6 weeks now and its brill..... I have even used it to navigate cross country and had no problems at all (planned route with memory map) and about half the run was through wooded areas, awesome. However one quick question on Garmin Training Centre. When runs are downloaded from the 305 they are put into a 'default' week starting on a sunday, finishing on a saturday. Is it possible to change this, other than creating a new folder for each week.

Wishing everyone good fortune who is training for the FLM, see you on the startline on the 13th.....

• Sorry Mark.  I don't know about that one.
  • Here we go again with forerunner/training center.... I ran on saturday and recorded 3 laps of my local XC route, stopped the timer, not a problem. Jumped in my car and unknown to me I started the timer again.....oops!  So now when I view the last lap my max speed has gone upto 48.6 mph. Is it possible to edit the last lap to reflect what I actually ran, rather than seeing my 'sprint finish' in training center.....image 
  • view history in the watch, select the lap and press enter again to get the option to delete the lap.
  • The nightmare with that is I will delete the whole last lap as pressing stop/start doesn't create a new lap only carries the last lap on...... not to worry I'll just have to be more careful in future......doh!

Thanks for the help.

• I've only just got mine today- haven't set it up yet.  Hope it is easy to set up.image

• Am I being stupid!!  I know I should trawl through this thread to find the answer, but there are so many pages!!  I have had my Garmin for 3 months now and absolutely love it.  Have only used the basic tools, but now want to start using HRM.  All set up and ready to go but I can't see where it shows the zone on any of the windows, only time, distance, calories etc.  I was kind of hoping for a window that showed the zone whilst running, which obviously it does, but I can't find it!!  I know, stupid!! 
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hi Corel, assuming you haven't customised your windows, you should still see in the top right of the screen a tiny heart symbol.

Also, if yo press the up and down buttons on the right of the garmin you will see different screens, including dedicated screens for heart rate and pace.  If you can't see heart rate after that, there must be something wrong with it.

Err...you are wearing the chest strap aren't you? 

• That made me laugh, sort of thing my husband would ask?  Yes defo got the strap on.  Little symbol there, but only shows the actual heart rate.  I'm looking for something that shows the actual zone you're running in, ie, zone 1, zone 2 etc or percentage of.  Again I can see on the lap pace screen it shows my actual heartbeats, but not zone?!? 
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Sorry Corel I didn't read your post properly...but again if you use the up down buttons you get the heart rate screen and on the bottom right it shows the zone.

This is dependent on setting the correct min and max heart rate in your profile though.

http://67.18.145.131/image.php?type=T&id=18669&ts=1195375899

This picture clearly shows it... 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

PC is playing up.. just click the link...

This picture!
  • Oh no, I don't have that screen.  I'll have to investigate further, because that is exactly what I'm looking for.  Many thanks for taking them time to send the picture. 
  • Corel, You need to customise the data fields. From the menu page (where the first item is 'History' I think, haven't got my 305 to hand atm), scroll down to settings, enter, select 'data fields'. Here you can select exactly what you want to see on the 3 data pages, including how many items you want to see each page. As Mr Puffy says, you need to make sure your min & max heart rates are set. You can also customise the hr zones. I have set mine to represent % of working heart rate eg. 3.5=75%, 4.0=80% etc 
  • Ah, now I'm getting somewhere.  Have fields all set up for working with HR zones.  Are you saying you can set a field to show a percentage rather than the zone?  Haven't quite sussed that one yet.  Thank you both so much for your help, I actually feel a bit stupid as I've had the Garmin since Christmas and obviously not used it anywhere near to its potential.  Thanks again.

• Found it! Now have absolutely all the information on the screen I need.  Thanks again.
  • Help!

Have tried to find the answer, but so many pages of posts..... Don't know why, but I'm still persevering with Training Centre. It keeps losing data though whenever I close it, and I have to re load it from the back up, or the watch. What am I doing wrong? Is TC really as crap as it first appears??

CF x

• Hi,

I have been using TC for about 8 weeks now in my prep for FLM with no probs at all. Just a quick question... Are you using the lastest version from the Garmin website or the version that came with your forerunner on CD ROM?  I have some mates who have used the version on the CD and had nothing but problems with TC. Hope that helps...

• Hi Mark - Thanks for the speedy response. I've downloaded the website version, which solved many of the glitches, but not this one. I'm sure it's a cunningt ploy to make you pay to upgrade to one of their other software packages! Have also tried Sporttacks, but it's not very user friendly.

CF x 

• If updating TC didn't solve your problem you could also try Motionbased at http://www.motionbased.com/ and give that a try. All you have to do is signup and in its basic form it's FREE.... but if you want all the bells n whistles it will cost you.... The only thing I have found is it can take time to download runs and pages take an age to load.

The other bonus of motionbased is when you download your runs you can make them visible to other users so they can see your routes and can even download them to their forerunner. Which means you can search your local area (or users) to see if there are runs that you might have missed.

I have used it to download runs so friends can make sure that I am doing the training that I say I am.....LOLimage

• EEeeeek - not sure I like other people knowing how lazy I am! But like the idea of finding new routes  - I'll try that - thanks Mike image

CFx